• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Picked up my Larue 18" .308 PredatOBR today

Took Carnivore's 18" P'tOBR out. Pulled the scope from my other p'tOBR. With no adjustment, I was only 2 MOA at 100 yards from POI with the first P'tOBR.

The day at the range got cut very short. First two five-shot groups were 1.5", but then I realized I had the PST in the wrong setting to be shooting suppressed. Switched to "SUPPRESSED" and the next three:

IMG_1124%202.jpg

I just could not make myself mess that up. So, I let the gun cool and banged out five more:

IMG_1123.jpg

The first shot is the high and right one. 3/4" isn't too bad, but I'm sure this gun will do better.

Edited to add: I'm hoping I can do better. I really don't think I'm as good as the gun.

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday. 18" 7.62 and holy shit it is amazing. I likely won't get it to the range before next Friday but I'm very impressed with the build quality.

More photos:

Guess my weight???

IMG_3298.JPG

You wouldn't believe how solid this thing locks up:

IMG_3303.JPG

IMG_3304.JPG

Carnivore's sub-MOA beater barrel:

IMG_3307.JPG

THIS is my idea of a nice touch, a captive spring for the rear push pin detent:

IMG_3309.JPG

Carnivore's 18", ready to go:

IMG_3312.JPG

I can't wait to see how it looks in rattle can cammo! Got the Krylon waiting. Is LaRue planning on releasing other calibers anytime soon?

I can't wait to see how it looks in rattle can cammo! Got the Krylon waiting. Is LaRue planning on releasing other calibers anytime soon?

You gotta try Rustoleum's flat camo colors!

I don't know what Larue has planned, but I would guess their major thrust will be to get their barrel making gig running smoothly and then catch up on back-ordered .308 and .223 guns. What caliber do YOU want?!?

A question that I haven't seen asked anywhere yet. Does anyone know if there is a twist rate option? Or do ALL lengths run the 1-11.5 twist. I ask because the difference in lengths would have to have an effect on ballistics esp. with a DI system. If they all run 1-11.5 how do they hold at a distance.

To answer some of the questions about the heat.
Shooting a M110 sass similar to the SR 25, it's the newer semi auto, for USMC. It depends on the rifle. I've shot one that was about 1.5 moa at 100 and got worse at distance and heat. I recently ran through about 1k rounds in a month long course, shooting out to about 900 yds ( we deemed this max effective after several guns starting losing their groups at this range). That being said my current issued sass holds tight, even at 20 rounds at a reasonable rate of fire, holding a clay pigeon group at the 3 (shooting from non prone positions only using tripods, partners, and ledges). Also engaging steel with respective MOA sized exposure ( 1moa gun 1 inch of steel at 100 and in, 2 inches of steel at 200 and in etc.) through heat and distance this gun held. Granted it's no OBR series rifle. This current issued rifle is set at 20'' 1-11.5 and I was shooting on average 2525 fps with m118lr (verified through truing on a g7 scale with litz data) while suppressed. The heat played a massive factor for urban style engagements with a gas gun. Massive mirage in the scope. However we're talking rapid well aimed fire, simulating an assault on a position. That said, even running 2 rds / min and handing if off to another shooter after 5 shots or so, his scope was worthless. On a piston gun it's worse. Highly recommend running a mirage shield with a suppressor for your doomsday type events. my .02

The only option is 1:11.25" twist in the Larue .308's.

Interesting that your gun is running the M118LR at 2525 FPS from a 20" barrel. My Oehler chrono gave me 2567 FPS from this 18" barrel. Hits on steel at 735 yards would indicate that that number is valid.

The mirage from the suppressor can be a PITA.

What optic are you issued with the rifle? Reticle? Mount? Suppressor?

I was shooting one of the lowest FPS on that system out of about 14 guns, all the same make model... only thing was when the course started I had only 100-rds through it, most others had well over 4-500.
At the time, I was running a 8541a built by premier with premier reticle standard mil dot 1st focal plane 3-15 x50 on badger rings. also rifle was built by KAC and so was suppressor, the can was an over the barrel, it covered most of the 6 inch barrel in front of the gas block. That fps was done at about 700 yds by using factory data, and reverse calculating with a ballistic computer. conditions were average although baro pressure was a bit off that day but all atmospherics where input into the system.

another note, I switched out the premier for a Schmidt & bender with a premier reticle down in Africa, and the mirage wasn't as bad but still sucked. we did use some improvised devices any one on here could use.
take a junk CLEAN shirt, cut a good size junk and wrap your can, you can use boot band or small bungees or 550 para cord to hold in place. this will last you forever provided you're not dumping ammo at the rapid. it will get hot I suggest using a white shirt so you can note burning.
A junk of high grade cardboard run down the length of can and use some 10ga or better wire to hold it in place, its ghetto but it beats the 50-60 bucks you'll shell for most mirage covers.

I ordered a 16'' PredatAR in .223 last January and I haven't heard squat. I doubt I'll even get notified about the field grade barrel option.

Ordered the same rifle Dec 2012, haven't heard anything either. Good things come to those who wait....I hope.
I am not even sure if I want to deal with the field grade barrel option (vaguely heard about it).
Just send the rifle when it is truly ready and done. So I don't have to ship stuff back and forth and swap barrels.

another note, I switched out the premier for a Schmidt & bender with a premier reticle down in Africa, and the mirage wasn't as bad but still sucked. we did use some improvised devices any one on here could use.
take a junk CLEAN shirt, cut a good size junk and wrap your can, you can use boot band or small bungees or 550 para cord to hold in place. this will last you forever provided you're not dumping ammo at the rapid. it will get hot I suggest using a white shirt so you can note burning.
A junk of high grade cardboard run down the length of can and use some 10ga or better wire to hold it in place, its ghetto but it beats the 50-60 bucks you'll shell for most mirage covers.

Great info, all. Thanks for sharing with us. Carry on in the finest.

S/F

Got some Hornady 155 AMAX TAP on the advice of a long time active duty shooter friend. He said it was quite accurate, plus a great "metal on meat" load. My best group of three groups shot with it:

IMG_3360.JPG

285 rounds through the new PredatOBR so far with no issues. I'm back (again) to the standard rifle length recoil system plus PRS stock and my old Geissele NM trigger. I seem to shoot better with this familiar combo. I tried a JP captive recoil system but could sense no improvement in the way the weapon recoiled. I'll have to revisit this in the future.

Huge thanks to Dvdt and John at JP-TEN Sports for getting my Tobr in my hands months early. I had one on order but these guys got me one last week. Mine's the 14.5" pinned. The one thing that blows me away is how light and maneuverable the whole package is. It instantly became my favorite Ar-10 style rifle. I've got quite a few to compare it to as well. Doesn't shoot nearly as well as my Pre Xtran OBR but I don't consider it to be a precision autoloader, yet. And honestly I only shot a few groups that were mildly rushed. I was using my reloads for my MWS (Varget, 175 smk's). Maybe when the match barrel shows up! Love my MWS but the Tobr has is beat as of right now. Fit and finish is top tier and how it's taken down, stuffed into backpack, makes is quite an endearing feature. Happy all around.

Hi, I just received my Predatobr 18" and took it to the range yesterday and shot a couple of quick groups
at 100 yards.
Both groups were shot with the Hornady Tap 155 grain, after sighting in with some Prvi 145 grain that
I use to bang steel. I shot these groups using a Harris bipod and a balled up shirt for a rear bag, so these
Groups would've been better, with the proper equipment.
First group is 5 rounds, second is 15...
Sorry, I'm new at this
20131112_140000.jpg

Attachments

• 20131112_144838.jpg
    20131112_144838.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Still having a tough time posting pictures. They were taken and posted using my cellphone, so the quality isn't very good.
20131113_170523.jpg
20131112_144838.jpg
20131113_172031.jpg
20131113_172310.jpg

Attachments

• 20131113_172343.jpg
    20131113_172343.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
REALLY good looking groups. I have trouble waiting for my order at Chipotle, so a 19mo wait is out of the question for me. Glad you finally got it!

I received my swag pack today. Pretty darn cool. There's a Larue hat that with a custom Predatobr sig on the back, 3 mini constitutions, dillo dust, dillo opener, stickers, match barrel voucher, and a free .308 Pmag! Im in Ca, so they sent me a modified 10 rounder.

Thanks everyone, I'm very satisfied with the rifle. I'm sure in Wes's hands, it would shoot much better.
I'm not much of a groups shooter, I mainly shoot steel at distance.
I have to say, the field grade barrel shoots very well, I can't find anything wrong with it and I might trade
the new barrel for a different size (16"), from another Predatobr owner.
So far, 200 rounds fired and zero problems.

18" tOBR arrived today. I will try out some FGMM 175's, Hornady 168 A-Max, and a 175 SMK handload tomorrow. Outstanding balance compared to my 18" LMT MWS. I don't have a scale but it feels like they weigh roughly the same however the LaRue tOBR just handles like a carbine. I wanted to pout and stomp my feet over this not being the "Texas Ranger" style rifle but the machining and design of this rifle are outstanding.
Looking forward to some range time tomorrow.

18" tOBR arrived today. I will try out some FGMM 175's, Hornady 168 A-Max, and a 175 SMK handload tomorrow. Outstanding balance compared to my 18" LMT MWS. I don't have a scale but it feels like they weigh roughly the same however the LaRue tOBR just handles like a carbine. I wanted to pout and stomp my feet over this not being the "Texas Ranger" style rifle but the machining and design of this rifle are outstanding.
Looking forward to some range time tomorrow.

Did your rifle come with the forend furniture the same color as the stock and pistol grip? And is that OD or foliage?

Wes,

The grip pieces were black and I installed the OD green ones out of pure vanity. A ratchet wrench with the "scope ring" torx bit made short work of it. I tore it down and put it back together about 5 times. The rifle in the LaRue video is definitely more broken in. This new rifle required a bit of elbow grease. I then gave it a good cleaning and pulled a lot of carbon and copper out of the barrel.

I only had a short window to shoot after helping set up for a sniper class next week. I plan on an all day range trip shortly. I brought out the LMT MWS and the LaRue tOBR. I walked them both back from 25 with 5 rounds to stay on paper, cleaned, then another five and cleaned. I know its just voodoo but I did not have a dead chicken and rum so I improvised with a hasty barrel break in. I shot my 175 SMK hand loads to get on paper and for the rough zero, prone with rear bag. Nothing to write home about with either the LaRue or the LMT. I then tried 5 round groups with FGMM 175's alternating between rifles for cooling. Again Nothing to write home about but I did get one sub MOA group with the LaRue (.590 MOA). A buddy showed up and showed me a very stable way to shoot off of the bench that I had not used before so I gave that a try with the 168 A-Max. I fired the first two groups with the LMT then seeing the 168's printing higher, adjusted the PH and shot two groups with the LaRue tOBR. The last group with the LaRue tOBR was great and it was time to clear the range (always good to end on a high note). In all fairness, I had the PH 5-25x set at 17x for the LaRue tOBR and the NXS 2.5-10x on the LMT. I believe I was just getting comfortable with the new bench position and had I shot more both rifle's groups would have tightened up.

Last tOBR group of the day. .628 MOA (5 shots on a 2" shoot-n-see)

Last edited:
I guess guys like you like to rub it in the faces of guys who dream of owning a Larue...but cant because they live on CA and dont have that much money haha...

I guess guys like you like to rub it in the faces of guys who dream of owning a Larue...but cant because they live on CA and dont have that much money haha...

LaRue offers a California compliant option. Sucks to bastardise a fine weapon like that, but I had to have them do it for NJ as well :(

The funds, that's a different story. I ordered mine in May... even though I am sure I have at least a year of waiting to go, still gonna hurt when it comes time to pay for it lol

Yea theres no way I would want to put a bullet button on that masterpiece..

At least your ordering one right now. I am trying to sell my Leupold Mark 4 scope to fund an AK purchase....the AK is gonna be alot cheaper than the dreamgun and probaly get to me alot sooner.

Has anyone tested zero holding after disassembly or high round count between tightening the barrel?
Still curious.
This was one of the problems with the weedmaster ACR, and that was only 5.56. I am trying to understand how using just a short wrench and no bench block one can get a high enough torque on a 7.62 caliber gun to eliminate barrel movement and return to zero.

I ordered my tObr on 12/17/12, when they wouldn't give me a time that production would even begin I went ahead and ordered a GAP-10 at SHOT show a month later.........forgot all about the Larue order and didn't cancel it. In a strange twist of fate, Larue called and asked to charge my card last week (couldn't say no).......5 hours later Ken called and asked me to ship my can out there so they could tune my Gap-10.........the toolbox arrived today and the Gap should be here next week. I really do like the take down features of the tObr but look forward now to putting the rifles head to head on the range in a couple weeks, i'll keep ya'll posted as to how they match up

I ordered my tObr on 12/17/12, when they wouldn't give me a time that production would even begin I went ahead and ordered a GAP-10 at SHOT show a month later.........forgot all about the Larue order and didn't cancel it. In a strange twist of fate, Larue called and asked to charge my card last week (couldn't say no).......5 hours later Ken called and asked me to ship my can out there so they could tune my Gap-10.........the toolbox arrived today and the Gap should be here next week. I really do like the take down features of the tObr but look forward now to putting the rifles head to head on the range in a couple weeks, i'll keep ya'll posted as to how they match up

Complete with pictures, I hope!

Still curious.
This was one of the problems with the weedmaster ACR, and that was only 5.56. I am trying to understand how using just a short wrench and no bench block one can get a high enough torque on a 7.62 caliber gun to eliminate barrel movement and return to zero.

I can't address the high round count, but I did get creative one day swapping things around.

I'm way past experimenting removing and reinstalling the barrel to see if it shoots to the same point of impact. Boring. It works.

Hey, how about two P'tOBRs at the same time?!? First, I fired a five shot group with the scoped P'tOBR. Then, I removed the barrel - PLUS the scope in Larue LT158-S throw lever mount - and installed both on/in a totally different P'tOBR. Fired five shots. Next, I put both barrel AND scope back on/in the original P'tOBR upper receiver/forend assembly. Five more shots. All 15 rounds fired with the same barrel and scope - from two different host weapons - had an extreme spread of just over an inch at 100 yards. I'm afraid I can't promise much more than that as a shooter off a concrete bench with a Harris pogo stick.

I know this is just one cycle of one simple test. Not scientific proof of anything. Send me 1000 rounds of Hornady 155 AMAX TAP and I'll run whatever test you want. We can work out an hourly wide body left seat pay rate.

I'm totally in agreement with you questioning the ability of a mere mortal to muster 50 foot-pounds with so short of a moment arm as offered by the Larue P'tOBR barrel nut wrench. So, I marked off the handle on my 1/2" drive torque wrench (set at 50 foot-pounds) at the length of the Larue barrel nut wrench supplied with the P'tOBR. Next, I secured a 1/2" drive KAC URX barrel nut wrench in the bench vise.

I can muster 50 foot-pounds with that length moment arm, but I'll freely admit it's an effort. I might have cracked a tooth in the process. I have to confess that I'm 65 and bothered a bit by arthritis, so maybe you younger Studley Whiplash types won't have a problem with it.

One thing this experiment did make me appreciate is the fact I have definitely not been applying a full 50 foot-pounds of torque during my "in the field" accuracy experiments. I'm guessing more like 35 - 40. The good news is it doesn't seem to matter.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks.
I knew no one was putting 50 ft lbs on with that wrench and without a vise.
It would be really interesting for the folks that have no need for a take down feature if it retains zero with less than design torque.
Sorry, but I am not interested enough to supply ammo...... :)

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with swapping field grade the barrels out? If I were to remove the barrel collar from my 5.56 could I use another manufactures barrel... lets say a 300 blk? :eek:

Does anyone have experience with swapping field grade the barrels out? If I were to remove the barrel collar from my 5.56 could I use another manufactures barrel... lets say a 300 blk? :eek:

It's a proprietary design so you can't take an off the shelf barrel and stick in there and as far as I know no match grade barrels have been sent to replace FG barrels yet but all the new rifles have the MG barrel. I saw a thread where a guy did a 7.62 tOBR to 6.5 but it was a custom job.

edit: found it
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/253731-larue-predatobr-6-5-creed-proof.html