• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Picking a .30 cal can, too many choices

The Dead Air Sandman L is also a great choice for your hosts.

My brother has a Sandman L, and while I love my Sandman S, my Ultra 9 is noticeable quieter and much lighter than the L.

If you want a do-it-all can with heavy semi-auto use, look at the S. Ive seen the S run on a 6.5 at distance, and shot it some as well and it did just fine. The QD mount is solid. Otherwise, the TBAC Ultras are at the top of the pile. The L has it’s place, but I personally don’t think it’s as well suited for precision bolt useage as the TBAC.

Never shot an Ultra 7, but I’m toying with the idea of getting a second Ultra 9.

When I'm a few benches down from friends at the range they say my 28 Nosler (82 grains of Retumbo powder, 24" barrel) sounds like shooting a .22.

TBAC Ultra 7. It adds very little length/weight.

Also, the owner of the company has already replied to this thread. Their customer service is ACTIVE, as in they will contact YOU if you are on a forum with an issue. I think that is pretty impressive. I can't think of a downside to the Ultra 7.

Faced with a near identical conundrum, I let myself become enamored by the lego like modularity of YHM's Nitro 30. Very cool idea that works exactly as advertised, at NEARLY TWO POUNDS assembled.
I love the Nitro when I'm shooting alone, but whenever I hear the whisper quiet "thup" of someones (much lighter) TBAC Ultra I seriously consider throwing it downrange.

Yet another TBAC fan. I have four. They all shoot great. Customer service is fantastic. Can't go wrong. Was at the range yesterday with my old 30P-1 on a 300WM. The other guys on the range asked what I was shooting because it sounded so quiet. They could not believe it was a 300WM.

I like my Yankee Hill cans. Built well, accuracy has either improved or stayed the same on every rifle I put them on. Quick detach works great. Not sure about Customer Service, as I've never had a problem with them so I've never needed to call them. I have called them for parts, etc, and had great service there. Sound has been just as good if not better than all other cans out there.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
I like my Yankee Hill cans. Built well, accuracy has either improved or stayed the same on every rifle I put them on. Quick detach works great. Not sure about Customer Service, as I've never had a problem with them so I've never needed to call them. I have called them for parts, etc, and had great service there. Sound has been just as good if not better than all other cans out there.
I got one of their direct thread Phantom Ti waiting for a stamp. Hopefully it will be here within 3 months.

Reactions: Steelhead
Great thread!! I’ve been lucky to have tried multiple suppressors, and anyone looking into suppressors should read (IMO) some SAR articles from/with Micky Finn, Doug Olsen, and Dr. Phil Dater. I try to look at how I intend to use the suppressor, I prefer direct thread for accuracy and mostly run QD on my gas guns. Zak is absolutely correct on threads but also keep in mind when running QD that usually with extended exposure to heat they will eventually warp slightly or even get hairline cracks. The cracks can detrimental to accuracy while a warp break will lead to baffle/end cap strikes. My observation on TI cans is that because of material they usually tend to have a large flash signature and that should be considered if your a MIL/LE marksman where concealment is a factor. I’m no expert, just what I’ve seen. Either way if you can shoot as many as possible before deciding. Guns and suppressors are a disease for which the only cure is death!!

Great thread!! I’ve been lucky to have tried multiple suppressors, and anyone looking into suppressors should read (IMO) some SAR articles from/with Micky Finn, Doug Olsen, and Dr. Phil Dater. I try to look at how I intend to use the suppressor, I prefer direct thread for accuracy and mostly run QD on my gas guns. Zak is absolutely correct on threads but also keep in mind when running QD that usually with extended exposure to heat they will eventually warp slightly or even get hairline cracks. The cracks can detrimental to accuracy while a warp break will lead to baffle/end cap strikes. My observation on TI cans is that because of material they usually tend to have a large flash signature and that should be considered if your a MIL/LE marksman where concealment is a factor. I’m no expert, just what I’ve seen. Either way if you can shoot as many as possible before deciding. Guns and suppressors are a disease for which the only cure is death!!
The brake/flash hiders distort or crack. I’m a rookie bare with me