• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Picking up a 1911, how to deal with the costs

Re: F*ck the 1911 pistol and its awesomeness

i shot a kimber 1911 in .45acp with over a million rounds fired through it (no joke) it functioned flawlessly was as smooth as butter on ice
smile.gif
i plan to buy a kimber this month for sure

i started to read this and really got tired so i will just say try walmart for ammo. you cannot beat their prices, at least in my searching

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: V-Taper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why compare USO to S&B, manners to mcmillan. Why compare anything </div></div>

Exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
FN-FiveSeven_1.jpg

</div></div>You know the story on how that Five-Seven Kaboomed? Never heard of one of those blowing up before. </div></div>

Double charged reload. Link HERE to the site it was originally posted on and the poster if I remember right, uses the name f3rr37. Find his post on it and you'll know everything about it.

There has been a ton of discussion about the 5.7 firing out of battery and wether or not it has inherent design flaws, but this particular KB was due to a reloading error. FN fixed his pistol regardless, but his hand took a beating.

....now back to the show.

Thank you John Moses Browning, there is no better pistol, there is different, but there is not better. If you like plastic shoot plastic, I like my 1911s and I own a number of them, it is the only automatic that I'm really interested in owning.

I used to shoot USPSA/IPSC with a 1911 in 45ACP. I didn't go 38 sooper just because I like the 45, and the gun wasn't going to be the difference in my winning or losing. I've fired thousands upon thousands of rounds through 1911s (I've got one now that I'll bet has at least 5K through it) I've loaded everything from 230gr ball to 145gr SWCs.

Cost for shooting was minimal, as I recall my reloading cost was on the order of 5¢ a round. (buying cast bullets at either local shops or gun shows by the thousand, reuse brass almost forever, primers and powder)

As for blowing up pistols, yea, about 20yrs ago I had a QA problem. I reload with Win231 it is great for 45s, it burns clean, but it is also a very fast powder. You can double charge a casing, I did, and when I dropped the the hammer on over 12gr of 231 stuff happened. It broke the gun, but it didn't hurt me (much). It blew out the back/bottom of the casing, cracked the slide, blew out the mag. I did catch some brass shrapnel in the face, but it was really like getting slapped with a thorn bush. Lots of little cuts.

Call me a fanboy, 1911s are the only way to go IMO.

I have a couple 45 cal 1911's but I also have a couple 9mm versions also. I have been lookin for a 38 super colt but they are getting harder and harder to find.

If your looking to get started with the 1911 and would like to just get your feet wet, order up one of the Rock Island 9mm versions. Centerfire systems has the basic for $379 and the Tactical model for $429ish. The 45's are about the same price. I have the 38 super version and its good to go with decent mags, I just want one with a pony on the side of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why God handed the sidearm invention gift to Gaston Glock , even God learns over time .

G20 Gods Gift to those who take self defense seriously . 10mm endorsed by Col.Cooper . </div></div>

Just because Cooper liked it is no reason to run right out and buy one. He also loved scout rifles, and personally I find them rather useless. Opinions are just that.

As far as the OP goes:
1) the SA GI model is a fine gun but certainly there is room for improvement. Check out Rock Island, they tend to run in the same price range, if not a bit cheaper, and they are great pistols (I have shot several, and own one). Also check out STI's spartan.

2) There is no need to cast your own bullets. Remington UMC (230gr. FMJ)is affordable at wally world if they carry it in your area. For defense carry, I have some home loads with golden sabers, they have some seriously wicked expansion. For plinking, I use lead Hornady round nose as I have found these to feed the best. My buddy turned me on to these after having some problems with cheycast bullets. However he did get the cheycast to work by changing the seating depth a little bit. There are other brands out there, these 2 are just what we can get locally so I use those. I use "unique" powder in my loads.

So, long story short, you can load up cheap (save your brass) and have a lot of fun with a 1911. There are quite a few good budget starter guns out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... For defense carry, I have some home loads with golden sabers, they have some seriously wicked expansion... </div></div>

I've kicked around defense rounds with a lot of people, and one thing most all agree on, use factory loads for defense, 2 reasons:

1. reliability, I've never seen a squib from a factory load, and I've seen too many on the range with reloads.

2. if you ever do shoot someone there is about a 90% chance that you are going to court, you don't want to have to argue that you were using some kind of extra super lethal round to 12 people who don't know the first thing about guns.

I have a PT1911 (taurus) and I have had no ploblem with it. It costs about as much as a springfield but they have some reviews on them and are said to be just as good. They arent as cosmetically pretty as a Kimber but as far as functionality. They work really good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... For defense carry, I have some home loads with golden sabers, they have some seriously wicked expansion... </div></div>

I've kicked around defense rounds with a lot of people, and one thing most all agree on, use factory loads for defense, 2 reasons:

1. reliability, I've never seen a squib from a factory load, and I've seen too many on the range with reloads.

2. if you ever do shoot someone there is about a 90% chance that you are going to court, you don't want to have to argue that you were using some kind of extra super lethal round to 12 people who don't know the first thing about guns.</div></div>

Wyoming is a castle doctrine / pro-defense state, I'm not worried. But in case you are, Remington makes factory loads with the sabers in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wyoming is a castle doctrine / pro-defense state, I'm not worried. But in case you are, Remington makes factory loads with the sabers in them. </div></div>

It's good enough for the FBI. At least it was anyway, not sure if it's still their round....

The 1911 Cost??
I find it a little puzzling why someone would be a little up on arms so to speak about the cost of 1911s or any firearm?
It's an expensive hobby/Sport/etc. It reminds me when I used to say how come a little underwater light can cost $1,800.00 when I was cave diving in Flordia? Well it does cost, sometimes way more than we think it should. Same for a Rolex vs Timex. I've owned both and there is not $$$$$ worth of difference in how accuratly they keep time.. Couple of seconds a month or so..
Now I like the 1911 platform. Just works for me. I currently own 4, all Colts but have owned Sprinfields and Kimbers. I also like the Hi-power platform and shoot that as well. I own two of them and find similar manual of arms and shooting characteristics. When I want to conserve a little $$$ I shoot the 9mm hi-power, otherwise its Colt and 1911 and 45acp...
Just Poney up the $$$ and get what you want.. after spending $$$$ on ammo over the years the difference between an inexpensive 1911 and a more expensive model will be indistinguishable.
Good luck,
George of the Jungle

You can pay for it now or pay for it later.

If you are already complaining about cost.. you have answered your question.. you can't afford another gun. Save up and get what you want when you have the cash. Don't be in a rush if it's not in the cards.