• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pics. I Think I'm Finally Ready to Play.

UrsusFamiliaris

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
This is my very first post here. After 15 years of shooting most kinds of hunting rifles I was of the impression that I was not capable of precision shooting. But today I lucked into a good deal on a real precision rifle and found out that it was my equipment that had been holding me back so long and not my skill. Now I think I'm ready to start learning from you guys how to reach out there to the really long distances and push the envelope. I HAVE TO BRAGG; I got everything you see here, except the scope, for $850. AND I got to shoot it before I bought it.

The case seems unassuming enough. Low profile for transportation.
DSCN0488.jpg

But then you open it up and see a whole weapon system ready to go.
DSCN0489.jpg

She looks good from all angles.
DSCN0481.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0483.jpg

And she shoots great too.
DSCN0491.jpg

The rifle is a .308 Remington PSS and came with the Storm Case, Leupold Mark 4 rings, Leupold 10MOA decline base, large bolt knob and, 2 lbs. trigger.

That group was my final 5 shot group of the day, shot with 168gr Hornady TAP ammo.

Not bad for shooting factory ammo. My next step is to develop a hand load for it starting with the Hornady 168gr A-max as my starting point. I have a whole stock pile of .308 brass from old rifle's I have owned so it won't be long before i am getting all I can out of this rifle. BUT it is very comforting to know I can get this kind of accuracy from commonly available factory ammo.

I really look foreword to learning a lot from you guys about long range shooting and can't wait for a chance to get this rifle back home where I can stretch her legs.

Re: Pics. I Think I'm Finally Ready to Play.

Wow, you made a steal! Good for you!
That gun and lots of rangetime should get you to 1000y easily.
Farthest I shot mine before I sold it was 1060.
A friendly advice, if you want to get good at shooting long range, sign up for the online training here at the hide.
I can't tell you how much it helped me and how many flaws I found out I had in my technique.

Also, just a friendly advice, if you really wanna stretch it's legs, I've heard many bad things in here about using 167/168grs pills for this. My own experience backs this up.
I used 167grs scenar before, but hits out at 800yards were, well... hard, to say the least. Switched to 155 scenar and 1000y was easy.

Congratulations on your new toy,
I hope it brings you years of fun.

850 bucks
shocked.gif
WOW thats is a super steal on that...

great buy....

Nice rig! Great place to start. I never find good deals like that.

very nice. 850 was definitely a steal.

Good shooting as well.

So given that this rifle has a 1/12 twist barrel, would you guys expect that it shoots 150-155 gr bullets as accurately as it did those 168s?

What part of Texas you in I am looking for someone to go shooting with?

-Z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigzam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What part of Texas you in I am looking for someone to go shooting with?

-Z </div></div>

I'm in Lubbock

+1 on the 155 scenars or run 175 grain sierra matchkings. workin up a 168 load will be futile if you really are after 1000yards with this stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That'll do pig, that'll do... </div></div>
smile.gif

Nice buy btw. Very good price.

I just shot some 180gr Federal Fusions out of this rifle. It looks like it shoots with everything, even long bullets, in spite of it's 1/12 barrel. It shot 5 under 1/2 inch and 10 under an inch with a scope 1/2 moa scope adjustment in the middle of the group. I had to re-zero today because I had to unmount my scope to level it yesterday.

I think I might try to work up some 180gr SST's for a hunting load and if it doesnt like them try out some 165gr and 155gr SST's. I'd like to find a load that I can both hunt with, at ethical ranges, and reach out on targets at extended ranges. I like Hornady bullets for their price and general quality. I just don't feel comfortable using match bullets for hunting.

This was my first 5 shot group of the day with 168gr A-Max bullets
IMG_0188.jpg

That is a fine rifle and equipment you got for that price! Very nice shooting as well!

wow, i wish i could find deals like that around here in houston. im worked on a load for range/competition and another load for hunting. if i where you, i would do the same. IMO its will be hard to get a load to perform in both areas. i shoot the 155 SMK and i love them, LIGHT AND FAST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow, i wish i could find deals like that around here in houston. im worked on a load for range/competition and another load for hunting. if i where you, i would do the same. IMO its will be hard to get a load to perform in both areas. i shoot the 155 SMK and i love them, LIGHT AND FAST. </div></div>

OT, but I used to live in teh Spring Cypress area back in High School (graduated 1990)...that area has GROWN!!

Im jealous....