• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pics of my 357Sig and 10mm AR's

Joe G

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2007
Charleston, WV
Top is 357 Sig. Bottom Olympic 10mm and DW Pointman and Razorback along with a S&W 1006.
april2010004.jpg

The Olympic 10mm runs great. 100% reliable with the 41ae uzi mags.

First time shooting the 357 Sig today. I got a heavy DPMS buffer because I've seen some suggest that a heavier buffer will help with the pistol cals. (Olympic said to use a standard carbine buffer for the 10mm------who knows who is right)
The Sig ran well with the Sten mags, but my reloads may have been a little hot for it. I had one case split, but need to run it a little more before jumping to conclusions. The bad news is that it destroys brass. I dont know if I can afford to feed this thing new brass all the time.

Side Note and hopefully someone here can help me out with this:
Just bought a new Olympic 10mm Mag and having less than stellar results with it. It will only work with my RRA lowers. It wont fit either of my spikes lowers. Will fit one YHM lower if I hold my mouth right and the other is really too tight. Havent tried my Alexander Arms lower.
So, after you slap it really hard to lock in one of the few lowers it will actually go in, the top of the mag is touching the bolt carrier and binds it up. So far my $50 mag is a POS. I'm going to file a little bit off the mag release slot and see if allowing it to hang a little lower corrects the problem. I was hoping to use it on both the 10 and the Sig, but so far it wont work on anything.

Re: Pics of my 357Sig and 10mm AR's

Can you post some more details on the 357Sig AR?

Did you re-chamber a 9mm barrel? What bolt, mags, etc are you using?

Thanks.

I'm 2nd owner, but it was written up in Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement and orig owner sent me the mag, but that is about all the info I have on the gun.
It was built by Kurt's Kustom Firearms in FL, but he died in a motorcycle accident in April 2009.
Barrel is 16 inches with a 1 in 16 twist.
Article listed various 125 gr factory loads shot over a chrony ranging from 1575 up to 1715fps.
This is what little information I have.

I would love an AR in .357 Sig. It's our duty round, so I'm not saying I wouldn't have trouble affording to feed it, but I don't think it would require a second mortgage. Is it DI or blowback?

I am hoping that when RRA releases their .40 AR, I'm a barrel away from getting one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Top is 357 Sig. Bottom Olympic 10mm and DW Pointman and Razorback along with a S&W 1006.
april2010004.jpg

The Olympic 10mm runs great. 100% reliable with the 41ae uzi mags.

First time shooting the 357 Sig today. I got a heavy DPMS buffer because I've seen some suggest that a heavier buffer will help with the pistol cals. (Olympic said to use a standard carbine buffer for the 10mm------who knows who is right)
The Sig ran well with the Sten mags, but my reloads may have been a little hot for it. I had one case split, but need to run it a little more before jumping to conclusions. The bad news is that it destroys brass. I dont know if I can afford to feed this thing new brass all the time.

Side Note and hopefully someone here can help me out with this:
Just bought a new Olympic 10mm Mag and having less than stellar results with it. It will only work with my RRA lowers. It wont fit either of my spikes lowers. Will fit one YHM lower if I hold my mouth right and the other is really too tight. Havent tried my Alexander Arms lower.
So, after you slap it really hard to lock in one of the few lowers it will actually go in, the top of the mag is touching the bolt carrier and binds it up. So far my $50 mag is a POS. I'm going to file a little bit off the mag release slot and see if allowing it to hang a little lower corrects the problem. I was hoping to use it on both the 10 and the Sig, but so far it wont work on anything.
</div></div>

Huge 10mm fan here. Your AR set-up looks great! Congrats.

The pistols are a nice addition as well, and I love my 1006.
wink.gif

OGS, do let us know if/when you get that Olympic Mag to run in the 10mm! I might just get a 10mm upper for the 9mm CAR.

I remember reading that article. I seem to recall iit stating that upper was not kind on brass at all...

Was shooting with a buddy shooting a 10mm 16" AR in a pistol caliber carbine steel match the other week.
Smacked the steel down with authority (and actually thhe range guys had some welding to do the next day as well).

Pretty high on my "want" list but way down on the "need" list.....

Hey guys,
I am not being a smartass, this is a serious question. What are these good for? I have often pondered pistol caliber AR's and they seem pretty cool, but I keep coming back to the idea that if I were going to carry around something the size of an AR, why would I want it to be in a caliber that was inferior to what it was designed for? IMHO pistol rounds are good in pistols because that's all that will fit in them. Why take a carbine and make it less powerful and shorten its effective range by 75% or so? It doesn't seem that cost would be a factor with these two rounds as they are both fairly expensive to shoot, as far as pistol rounds go...

Again, these are just my observations and I am open to any enlightenment you guys can offer. Both of the above setups look pretty nice and the idea is interesting, just wondering about the practicality.....

As always, I have no problem with anyone spending their money on whatever they see fit, and buying something without a practical purpose is perfectly acceptable to me - I've done it many times!
grin.gif

Thanks,
Erik

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,
I am not being a smartass, this is a serious question. What are these good for?</div></div>

I've thought about a 9mm upper for a little while. You have a point about the power, effective range, etc. For a home defense, ie close quarters weapon I think they'd be an outstanding choice.

You're more likely to miss with a pistol and in a HD situation over penetration is a real concern. The 9mm, .40, and 10mm will go through multiple walls too but a rifle could penetrate multiple houses...

I am not being a smartass, this is a serious question. What are these good for?

What are 90% of the guns we have good for?
I'll give you the 357 Sig on impractical, but it does have a lot of "cool" factor and it is better than a sling shot.

The 10mm is my primary closet gun. It will shoot 1" at 50 yards and is 100% reliable. It will reach out to 100 yds if needed which is all I can ask of a home defense weapon. I would prefer it to any handgun that I own. It is still probably too much for a home defense gun, but IMO it is a better choice than the 223 for home defense.

Why do we need any bullpup/carbine type firearms, ect??????
Just because we can.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not being a smartass, this is a serious question. What are these good for?

I'll give you the 357 Sig on impractical, but it does have a lot of "cool" factor and it is better than a sling shot.

The 10mm is my primary closet gun. It will shoot 1" at 50 yards and is 100% reliable. It will reach out to 100 yds if needed which is all I can ask of a home defense weapon. I would prefer it to any handgun that I own. It is still probably too much for a home defense gun, but IMO it is a better choice than the 223 for home defense.
Just because we can.
cool.gif

</div></div>

Well, not only that, but ...

... in the context of a bullpup/16" carbine-type long gun <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">chambered for some type of "service pistol cartridge"</span></span>, the only choice that even remotely makes practical sense is getting one chambered in the <span style="font-weight: bold">10mm AUTO</span>, all other things being equal.

And I mean shooting the 10mm AUTO in it's "heavy and fast" loadings, ones that push relatively-heavy projectiles at magnum velocities, especially when considering hunting applications (e.g., 180gns @ 1400fps; 200gns @ 1275fps, 215gns @ 1250fps).

Some one, like Marlin, really needs to chamber a handy, 12-shot lever action with a 16" tube in 10mm. Really. Plinking, hunting, home defense. What's not to like? Reloading would be a dream ...

Again, the 10mm's clearly not a rifle round (no one's claiming it is), but as far as using it in the same types of long arms currently chambered for other pistol-cartridges, ... you could do <span style="font-style: italic">a lot</span> worse (i.e., less effective, less practical).

cool.gif

Reloading for the carbines is somewhat of a a challenge in itself. For the 10mm, I've played around with a lot of pistol load recipes along with factory ammo. At one time I had a 10, 12 and 14" contender barrels in 10mm and a 14" 10mm Mag barrel.
With factory ammo (175gr silvertips), the 10" gave me the highest velocity. With my reloads I could make the 14" the highest with 200 gr pills.
While playing around with the 10mmMag, I could run the 135gr Nosler hp's over 2k but the jackets wouldnt hold up.
Just not much (any?) load data for the longer barrels. I primarily use the T/C Contender reloading manual and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not being a smartass, this is a serious question. What are these good for?

Just because we can.
cool.gif

</div></div>

Cool, bro - just asking. To each his own.