• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pictures from a recent Magpul Dynamics Pistol 1 &

USMC03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2003
Colorado
www.03designgroup.com
Thanks to FromMyColdDeadHand for helping me with pics over this last series of classes (both running his camera and post processing pics ... it's a lot of work). I greatly appriciate all the time and effort, Brother!

Photos courtesy of FromMyColdDeadHand (please don't steal his pics)

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh2.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh3.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh4.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh5.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh6.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh7.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh10.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh9.jpg

Re: Pictures from a recent Magpul Dynamics Pistol 1 &

Nice!! Definitly on my list of "Things to do".

I've sat in on a few of Magpul's classes. Chris is a good dude with a wealth of knowledge. They run a top notch operation and I love their knife wielding "Psycho Bunny" targets.

I used to live with a psycho bunny. Maybe the class would bring back bad memories and I would end up in the corner sucking my thumb with a 1k stare. LOL

Nice pics, what type of camera and equipment was used ?

I run a canon 20D and look to get shots like these.

I am working on the proper settings but get some blurry and not consistent.

Mark is a solid shooter, great dude, and life of the party ... rockin' out with either Costa's or Travis' pistol (if memory serves me correctly):
MDhgCO6-10fmcdh28.jpg

Ninja fast ... note the brass that is still in the air to the right of the target to the right:
MDhgCO6-10fmcdh27.jpg

A little 1911 action:
MDhgCO6-10fmcdh26.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh25.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh24.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh23.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308LR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pics, what type of camera and equipment was used ?

I run a canon 20D and look to get shots like these.

I am working on the proper settings but get some blurry and not consistent. </div></div>

I took these pics with a Canon 5DmkII with a 70-200/f2.8-IS lens in AV mode with the f-stop around 2.8-4 with ISO between 200-640 IIRC. I have the safety shift on in case there is too much light and the shutter wants to go past 1/8000. I also have a 20D, and these setting should work for you too. I'm thinking about slowing down the shutter to between 1/1000-1/250 next time to see how much slide motion I can get. With the high shutter speeds 1/2000 + and the shallow depth of field (F2.8-4), I think it gives nice seperation of the shooter from the back ground.

Last class I took some pics of Travis and Chris with their Nighthawks and I had some issues with timing the brass. Just a little tweaking of my flinch and I was getting a lot more brass this time.

It was partly cloudy with a good wind, so exposures will be all over the place. Had a polarizer filter on there to help saturate colors and tame the sky, though with the berms, I think I only got one sky shot. I think almost all the shots were at 200mm- though a lot were cropped afterwards. For web pics you can do some crazy crops off of a 24mp RAW file
wink.gif
. These were all the last day after lunch when they had three shooting stations set up. I usually like to get just up to the 180 arc, but with the students running right at me between stations, I didn't want to risk a AD/ND and catch it. Later pics are of three different stages.

Nice pics. Did their Carbine Course at it was top notch.

You probably already know this, but if you don't...a neutral density filter (they come in different densities allowing you to block as much light as you want) will stop down the light enough to let you use slower shutter speeds to get motion blur.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColBatGuano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice pics. Did their Carbine Course at it was top notch.

You probably already know this, but if you don't...a neutral density filter (they come in different densities allowing you to block as much light as you want) will stop down the light enough to let you use slower shutter speeds to get motion blur. </div></div>

I was hopping the polarizer would help with a stop or so. Before I moved to Colorado, I was always struggling for more light, not less. I did have the highlight control option on, so I didn't have access to some of the slowest iso speeds.

This pistol class was the first time I've taken pics when I wasn't in the class. I definately err'd on the side of faster shutter speeds to help diminish any wobble from any flinch I might have and freeze the subjects. Next time I'll try some more around the 1/250 mark (or even slower to allow effective use of fill flash.

The ND filter is a great idea. I've been interested in some shots that involve static and moving objects, outside of firearms, and that may be the ticket.

Me running through a run and gun drill. I had received my Glock 19 back from Ben at www.boresightsolutions.com just a couple days prior to this class. I had the basic reduction package done on my pistol which included under cutting the back strap and under the trigger guard. In most classes I get a blister on the side of my middle finger joint from the bottom side of the trigger guard. After Ben's work, that's no longer a problem. I can't say enough about the work Ben did on my Glock 19, the pistol fits my hand like a fitted glove. I plan on sending him several other pistols as funds allow:

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh106.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh107.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh105.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh104.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh103.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh102.jpg

Those are great looking pictures, do you have any images of the targets they were shooting? I dont think I have seen them anywhere. They look very realistic.

The targets that you can see (used as barricades) are the same type of targets that were down range.

Pictures of targets aren't very interesting ... I don't belive Mark took any pics of just the targets.

You gotta stop posting these pics, you are killng me with jealousy !

I've been so busy the last couple days, I was unable to put up pics on Friday ... sorry for the delay (Friday's installment):

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh162.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh161.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh160.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh159.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh158.jpg

MDhgCO6-10fmcdh157.jpg

nice pics...I took the Magpul advanced carbine class with Travis and Chris and was really impressed....they are enthusiastic and have a very dynamic teaching style...