• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pictures of my ATV Mounted FLIR setup

Super Bee 950

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2008
Austin Texas
www.bikesolutionsllc.com
For the past year, I have been trying to find the perfect night setup. I have tried PVS-14, hand held FLIR, and now a vehicle mounted system. With this setup, I have found what I was looking for! I finished mounting the FLIR setup today and its working great! Using Ram mounts gives me unlimited mounting options. Even better, I can remove it or transfer the camera to my other vehicles.

For those looking for thermal setups, you have two options. This one, and a weapon mounted FLIR. The weapon mounted option is more than twice as expensive as this, and the only time you can use it is when you have it held up to your face. In my experience using a hand held (FLIR H Series) thermal setup, it kils your night vision, and you have no depth perception. A PVS 14 costs about the same as this except you have a smaller field of view, and if its pitch dark, you will not see much.

In my experience (which is limited, but better than none) I like this setup for identifying creatures, and using either a PVS 14 or external lighting for taking the shot. I found it to be a real PIA walking around with a PVS-14 strapped to your head, then it being in the way when its time to shoot. Your mileage may vary, but I find this hard to beat for the price.

In case you missed the videos I posted in the hunting forum, here they are again. I was using a field expediant method of mounting when I took those... (wire ties)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsZfdjDtxas

Here is what a deer looks like at night on the FLIR video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAOcxHpUQXE

4668062548_0f3a13b333.jpg

4668063050_957f48171a.jpg

4668062358_71a32b9610.jpg

4668070622_2344b08a7b.jpg

Re: Pictures of my ATV Mounted FLIR setup

That is well thought out. I think my diesel Mule shakes too much to even consider something like that.

Leave it to a Texan to come up with a sweet setup like that to find deer.

Roadwild. A friend of mine is a distributor, so if you want one, send me a PM and I will get you a good price. I can also get you the mounting kit for an ATV like mine.

Yes, this is the Pathfinder kit

I want to find hogs with it, not deer...

now you need a ring mount for a .50 on that rig! boys and our toys:)

I fully approve of this. Does the thermal aspect make it to where vibrations don't matter to focus on a target?

Polaris Ranger hunting is the best way to do it.

Nice Super Bee. A sad reminder that my AC650 sits idle in the garage...with no hope of a flir.

And I can only imagine if we had that back in the day on the grandparents' ranch. Would have completely changed hog, rabbit, and coon hunting. Then again, it was pretty darn fun running through the briars in the pitch dark with my flashlight bobbing and dogs howling...amazingly with no thoughts of how many rattlesnakes I'd probably run by or over in the thick south Tx brush. Hmmm...rattlesnake hunting with the flir...that could be fun.

Just curious on how much a setup like that would cost. That would be great for my Search and Rescue rig. There are a lot of times when that would have come in handy!! Thanks.