• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Pig Roast 2.0 Picture heavy

50calibercruiser

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Okla.
I find I have a new addiction, cooking large pieces of meat. Some may remember my first Pig Roast 1.0. While successful by any definition, there was like most ventures definitely room for improvement.

Some notable areas requiring an upgrade:

Removing the hair from the hog. This was solved thanks to a donor 500 gallon propane which I quite nervously cut the ends off of with a torch. (This is actually a rather safe practice much to my surprise) The cut off end was then placed on a cut 55 gallon drum with a large propane burner inside. Water was allowed to boil then the volunteer hog took a 2 minute swim. The hair/skin came right off with the help of an old lawn mower blade and an expired license plate. This was a marked improvement from last time.

sdc15995resize.jpg

sdc16000resize.jpg

sdc16002resize.jpg

Turning the spit. Before we were forced to do it by hand. To say it sucked would be a severe and misleading understatement. Thankfully, we have what are called "big trash days" where twice a year people line their curbs with all sorts of free goodies. While diving home one afternoon I spotted a guy tossing a John Deere Powerwheels and the idea hit me so I picked it up and two houses down found the right donor bike, now all I needed were some bronze bushings and some metal, both I had cluttering my own garage.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AMh_h4VgjJ8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AMh_h4VgjJ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

The motor is of course 12 volt allowing easy portability. With the gear reduction the shaft turns 100 rpm. I forget the circumference of the tire but by the time power is transferred to the spit we are at 2 rpm, which appears to be ideal. In testing, the unit turned 70 lbs without struggle. This side of pork was about 30 lbs. Having the meat turn at a constant speed without our undivided attention was a godsend.

sdc16006resize.jpg

sdc16008resize.jpg

Notes of interest:
Total cook time was approximately 8 hrs with a finished internal temp of 170-180.

One regular car battery ran the spit the entire time without issue.

I fed this pig out for 4 months, the last month and a half I fed nothing but cracked corn. I now believe this to be a bad idea. While the 1.5" of fat looked good I believe it severely hindered proper cooking. But the cracklings were badass to say the least.

Hog was basted throughout the cooking with canola oil, kosher salt and pork seasoning.

As always, suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Re: Pig Roast 2.0 Picture heavy

looks awesome. i have been wanting to build a rotisserie for my fire pit. i had animals the size of turkey in mind. i may have to make it a bit larger after reading this.

As a lucky participant in this whole deal (i missed out on the scraping luckily) the motorized spit was awesome! next time we'll have to do something with all of the fat though. It was just overwhelming. I am not sure there is much we can do about it though due to the breeding of the pig. It appears to be of the "larder hogs" of yesteryear not the badass marbled pork animals that are bred today. It was alot of fun and 14 year McClallan went down great during the whole cooking process. 50cal and I killed 1 bottle and really hurt the second one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kosher salt.......on a pig......Bwahahahahahahaha

Awesome. </div></div>

Hahaha
Wow that never even occurred to me.

That spit looks like quite a contraption, but that hog looks damn good!

I will take pics the next time we do it but we basically dig a whole in the ground and stick rebar around the edges to support a piece of grate. We then lean pieces of corrugated metal around the edges of the grate and then over the top to redirect the heat and cook the pigs for close to 24 hours. At the 12 hour market we have a second piece of grate and put it on top of the pig and then just flip it. We baste it with an apple cider vinegar/mustard sauce every couple of hours.

Damn that looks good. I'll bring the beer! If you can find an old drawknife, they're great for scraping hogs. That's about the only thing my Graddad used. Old hog scrapers can still be found pretty cheap too.

When I make pulled pork I leave all the fat on (around the same amount you showed) and cook it to 188 degrees internal temp.

The higher temp makes it fall right off the bone and shred nicely. I do this all on a smoker though...

Still very moist and tender
smile.gif