• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pillar bedding a aluminum blocked (bedded) stock??

THE MGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
S. TEXAS
My stock

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937643/...synthetic-black
(stock has aluminum bedding block)
on a remington 700 ADL .308

My question: Is it nessasary or will it help to pillar bed.
I already plan to glass bed (skim bed). If pillar bedding is suggested should i do this BEFORE i skim bed or AFTER. Lastly i have yet to mount the rifles optic or rails should i do all of this and loctite my screws BEFORE I install my optic or AFTER?

Re: Pillar bedding a aluminum blocked (bedded) stock??

Skim bed the V block, go shoot it, have fun. V blocks are close but not quite. Skim bed it. If it shoots well fine. The pillars would only help, so your call on whether you do it now or later.

Re: Pillar bedding a aluminum blocked (bedded) sto

Would adding pilars loosen or replace the block? If I skim bed and decide later I want pilars I can only imagine that would be a royal p.i.t.a. drilling out the holes with the bedding there. (also wouldnt there be worry of chipping / cracking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't do anything yet ! Shoot the rifle and see how it groups.</div></div>

y e s........................................

hypothetically,
if the weapon continues to poorly group what would be the correct sequence with easiest gunsmithing? Also my big question "does pillar bedding make block bedding obsolete or 'hypothetically' should it add to the accuracy applying both?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hypothetically,
if the weapon continues to poorly group what would be the correct sequence with easiest gunsmithing?</div></div>

Better ammo would be the easiest and cheapest to start with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't do anything yet ! Shoot the rifle and see how it groups.</div></div>

y e s........................................ </div></div>

Double YES.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocEd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the stock has an aluminum bedding block in it, there is no reason for pillars. </div></div>

THANK YOU! (my gunsmith told me the same thing earlier today)

I have seen a bit of improvement in both bedding block type stocks i have by skim bedding them as well. Nothing outrageous, they were already shooting 3/4 MOA but one got to 1/2 MOA consistently and the other just got more consistent all around. All that said, I did all my load workup before I bedded them...sooooo...shoot it a bit and see what happens

With regards to skim bedding...for a piece of mind you could blue for contact. You might need some Prussian Blue or Canode blue. It would tell you if your reciever is sitting in the blocks even. I would just apply some hand pressure. Hell whats keeping a guy from using a small amount of ultrafine lapping compound(if you planned on refinishing your reciever)? That would surely show contact and possibly improve it. Just throwing some chit out there. I think I will try it in February and get back with you.

midway's site is currently down, so i can't see which stock you bought.

but take a look at this, found on another thread in the bolt rifle forum

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i186.html

looks reasonable to me, and i'm going to try it. i just picked up a b&c alaskan II stock for my .338RUM, and i'm going to pillar bed using the spacers like described in the above website. also had to order some longer action screws from brownells, as even w/o bedding my factory screws won't fit the new stock.

The shims from Ernie linked in the above two posts do work well. I've used them in a couple of rifles when skim bedding them with great success.

For lapping in the bedding block, one of the very early issues of The Varmint Hunter magazine had an article about this.

On thing the author failed to do was to shoot the thing first to see if it even needed it.

I would bolt the darn thing in and shoot it. Why bed it if it doesn't need it???