• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pimping a Masterclass F-Class Stock

Papagrizzly

USA F-Open Rifle Team
Minuteman
I get all my F-Class stocks from Alex Sitman at Masterclass stocks. His workmanship is incredible and his bedding absolutely perfect.

The stocks come to me unfinished and I then customize them for my needs. For those that do not know, F-Class is shot in the prone position with the fore-end of the gun resting on a front rest (F-Class Open) and the rear of the stock riding in a rear bag. The tracking of the gun is critical to landing good shots and anything that can be done to improve tracking is a plus.

The following is a sequence of things that I do to my stocks. I am going to break up the posting into several posts so that all the photos post well and will show the finished gun at the end. Hopefully, I'll be able to load the complete process before someone makes a comment so that the whole thing will flow well.

The initial setup on the Mill

zx2m1z.jpg

2jchvt2.jpg

fykbir.jpg

The first thing that needs to be done is to channel the fore-end so that it does not rock when it is in the front rest. I use a simple carbide tipped dish cutting router bit from Grizzly.

70gk0h.jpg

29yp0z9.jpg

The next step is to install a tapered flat base on the bottom of the rear of the stock so that the gun rides on a wider flat surface. I have a mating rear bag for it. The stock is flipped on the mill and set up again. I free float the second vise and only clamp it down to the mill table after it has been tightened to the stock.

os9zf9.jpg

I use a 15 degree bevel HSS milling cutter to mill the recess that will accept the mating base I have made out of Ebony using the same bevel cutter.

5evf47.jpg

1zc22it.jpg

Dry fitting the Ebony base block.

2wghbwp.jpg

Re: Pimping a Masterclass F-Class Stock

I then drill recessed holes in the Ebony block and use a transfer punch to locate where to precisely drill the holes in the stock.

1zvvr0g.jpg

1s1shx.jpg

25kmpm8.jpg

The brass inserts are carefully threaded into the holes. Note - I also dab some crazy glue in the holes prior to threading the inserts to prevent them from backing out or loosening from all the pounding this gun is going to take.

xavtw7.jpg

sdi8ns.jpg

The next step is to cut in custom finger grooves. These grooves exactly mate my hand and will be sanded on a flap sander later to smooth out the whole grip.

2qlwg0z.jpg

2rqztiw.jpg

Here's where I start "cheating" and using my high speed CNC Router/Mill with an 8 position tool changer to inlay my name into the stock. The head on the CNC is a Columbo head that goes up to 30,000 RPM. I can use endmills that are as small as .010" - you look at them and they break!

1j3kfp.jpg

11t9yco.jpg

zocnmb.jpg

I cut two sets of matching inlays, one out of Mother Of Pearl and one out of Abalone to see which one would look better on this stock. I ended up using Abalone and inlaid that into the cut-out using cyanoacrylate (crazy glue).

2580bxg.jpg

21cf5dy.jpg

Next step is sanding and spraying the stock. I use UV curing lacquer as I have a UV booth that will cure the lacquer in minutes. First step is to apply a UV sealer, cure in the booth, sand and apply a second coat of the sealer. This fills in any pores in the wood and also creates a base coat that the lacquer will adhere to better.

Then the spraying begins. The UV laquer I use is fairly thick stuff and so I dilute it 3 to 5%. It is pretty touchy stuff - too thin and you get runs and too thick and it does not spray well. I add thinner like a cook would add salt to a dish being prepared (by feel). If there are runs, they are a nightmare to fix as the finish hardens like a rock in the UV booth.

I rigged up a bandsaw wheel in the spray booth so that I can turn the stock as I am spraying.

167ml9x.jpg

Again, spray, sand with 240 grit so that the second coat sticks well and spray a second coat. Two coats is all you need as this stuff is thick and hard. The picture makes it look like the stock is hanging right next to the back, but there is about two feet of space between the stock and the back of the spray booth. I also have doors on the booth with filters so that no fine dust can come flying in with the exhaust running.

oksy6b.jpg

Next step is to sand again. This time, I will not be spraying again and am preparing for buffing. I start with 1000 grit and go upto 3000 grit. Once I am happy with the sanding, I take it over to my buffer (Baldor 5 H.P., 1200 RPM, with long shafts).

Starting to look wet!

2aahr2b.jpg

It is challenging to hold the stock with one hand and photograph with the other.

Just in case some of you are wondering how the stock is attached to the green metal hanging stud, I created a spacer to go between the buttplate and the stock and screwed it back in. Then I slid in the hanging stud where the recoil pad assembly would normally go.

2qnz91u.jpg

Clean work, grizz. You definitely have a talent for this type of work. I would be proud to own something you made. This is an art piece as much as a painting or sculpture is.

The finished stick. After the buffing, I cleaned off the buffing compound residue with a wet rag and assembled all the parts (action, trigger, barrel, butt plate etc). Just so you know, I assembled the gun the same day I sprayed it! The UV cures the lacquer in minutes and there is no down time.

I then laid the gun on my granite table and levelled out the scope and completed it.

33f84qv.jpg

oidaj9.jpg

4q08eb.jpg

ws0akj.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gun Details:</span>

Made for 1000 Yard F-Class Competition.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Caliber:</span> 7WSM
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Action :</span> BAT single shot Medium action with 20 MOA rail.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel :</span> Krieger 1 - 8.75 Twist, 32" long with 11 degree match crown. I also have a Bartlein for it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Trigger:</span> Jewell.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gunstock and Bedding:</span> Alex Sitman, Masterclass.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Chambering:</span> Gordy Gritters.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope:</span> March 10-60 with tactical knobs.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rings:</span> Barrett Aluminum Zero-Set.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Overall Weight:</span> 21 Lbs 8 oz (limit is 22 lbs).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Date Completed:</span> January 11, 2011.

For more information on F-Class shooting, please visit the US Team's website

http://www.usfclass.com/

I also build guitars as a hobby, time permitting, although the last three years it has been shooting, shooting and more shooting
smile.gif

To check out the guitars I have built with some intricate inlays visit:

http://www.grizzly.com/sbguitar/sbguitar.aspx

Absolutely beautiful work!

After looking through the pictures I kept thinking "Wow, this guy really likes Grizzly products..."

I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I saw your last post and the link to the website... derrr...

Again, Beautiful work
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Absolutely beautiful work!

After looking through the pictures I kept thinking "Wow, this guy really likes Grizzly products..."

I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I saw your last post and the link to the website... derrr...

Again, Beautiful work
smile.gif
</div></div>

Hahaha - you should have caught on when I mentioned the Grizzly router bit.

Thank you guys for your comments.

beautiful!!! that is great work you are doing sir.

Thanks Berreta & Justin.

Also, I am not sure about Youtube as that would require an extra person or setting a camera on a tripod or something along those lines. In any case, that may have to wait till the next build.

Looks good! My parents actually live right down the street from you (711 Racine)! Found any local places to practice close to 1000 yards? I'm regularly out at Custer or Plantation; but with 200 and 300 yards I'm itching for something a bit further out there.

Also, my friend Geeb has shown me pictures of several of your guitars- they are equally impressive!

Nice Job!

Damn, thats pretty damn kickass. There are some pretty talented gunsmiths on the hide.

Ah that rifle looks ok....yea nice work ,its a work of art .I don't know if I'd shoot it or just stare at it? Great job.!!

Thanks, Guys!

Firebird - Geeb is a great guy and a gifted musician. I can build guitars quite well, but when it comes to playing, I will be the first to admit that I'm a hack.

There is a Registered 300 yard prone match next Saturday (22nd) at Plantation and all the best shooters from WA State will be there. Do try to make it if you can. I'll be shooting my peashooter 6XC.

Forwardeyes - I am done staring at it. Now its going to be "banged" hard
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagrizzly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, Guys!

Firebird - Geeb is a great guy and a gifted musician. I can build guitars quite well, but when it comes to playing, I will be the first to admit that I'm a hack.

There is a Registered 300 yard prone match next Saturday (22nd) at Plantation and all the best shooters from WA State will be there. Do try to make it if you can. I'll be shooting my peashooter 6XC.
</div></div>

Thanks for the invite, I'll try to make it over there and introduce myself. I'd love to see one of your rifles up close....maybe you can even convince me to get into the F-Class style stuff
grin.gif

Mark

Thank you all.

Firebird - If you have a tactical rifle with a bipod in .308 or .223 and if its under 18.5 lbs, you can shoot F-T/R. The main thing is that it's extra trigger time, regardless of what its called. Just show up with about 75 rounds of ammo and you will have a lot of fun.

Chad - I'll post some pictures of the bedding after I get back from SHOT in Vegas. I can hardly wait for Tuesday to roll around (first day of SHOT) - then it's toy city! By the way, I've seen some of your work and it is very, very nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well done.

Alex is a very skilled stockmaker.

Could we see the bedding? </div></div>

There you go, Chad:

25p0e8j.jpg

Love that miniature double cut on your router. If I ever decide to do another custom axe I know who I'll be calling.

Nice stick too, lol.