• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

pin busting load??

o1sick7

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2009
utah
Ok guys. This is how it happens. Every wed night we have a little competition. We shoot bowling pins. The key to it is you have to get the compleatly off the table. They can't just fall over. I usually use the 230gn semi wadcutters. Loaded a tenth over. It works pretty good. But if you have 20 to 30 guys shooting them they get heavy. I stumbled across some 250gn lead round nose bullets. And I know there for the long colt but I have heard of a lot of people shooting them out of the 1911. They are still .451. My dilema is I can't find any data on them at all. I tried hodgens data site. And all 4 of my manuals. I have hs-6, tite group, and ram shot zip. Powders. Any info would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Re: pin busting load??

I would suggest a range of 5.2-7.6gr of HS-6. This is NOT published data, just my educated opinion. My opinion is based off the following;

Lyman lead bullet data for a 200gr LSWC is 7.6-9.5gr HS-6
Lyman lead bullet data for a 225gr LRN is 6.2-8.6gr HS-6

A reduction of about one grain of powder for rise in bullet weight of 25gr. Go up another 25gr in bullet weight, reduce powder charge by one more grain.

I would start at 5.2gr and work up till I got the velocity desired. 5.2gr should be a nice safe and conservative place to start with a 250gr lead bullet.

Good Luck!

With much trial and error I ended up with the HS-6 load too.
But in the end the bullet shape is very important. Edge hits with RN bullets tend to glance off knocking the pins sideways. My favorite was a 255 gr FN lead. Good bite and plenty of inertia. Knocks the pins straight-----------------back. You are handicapping yourself with round nose bullets.

Wow. I will try this for sure? You think I'll be better off with wad cutters? Or what kind of bullet?

Have to agree with the other gentleman. You need a bullet with an edge (SWC, WC, etc...) to "grab" the pin on edge hits, and BIG power factor. I shot pins years ago, and 200+ PF was the norm. It's a bit tough on guns, but that's the nature of the game. Pins WILL make you watch the front sight and PRESS the trigger, or you'll go home disappointed. I used 230 grain lead SWC's pushed hard with 231 in the late 80's. Sorry I don't have the data anymore. Have fun and watch the front sight.

I shot bowling pins years ago, and I found hollow points worked best for me. I used CCI Blazer 230g hollow for every match.