• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pistol build?

Whit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
Ohio
I seen where you can buy a 80% lower receivers. Is it possible to build a AR style pistol with one and not break any federal laws (as long as I use a pistol buffer and not a butt stock)? Are the receiver pins for the pistol and AR rifles even the same spacing to build off one of the 80% lowers? Thanks

There's no difference between a pistol lower and a carbine lower, they're exactly the same. Unless you're just wanting to use an 80% lower, you can use any lower on the market as long as it has never been built as a rifle.

I was thinking of making a pistol out of a 80% lower. I heard a guy at work talk about making a pistol this way. This was my way of asking to make sure it was legal before I did it. I am wanting to help each of my kids build a AR rifle and thought of building a pistol for myself.

Last edited:
I was thinking of making a pistol out of a 80% lower. I heard a guy at work talk about making a pistol this way. This was my way of asking to make sure it was legal before I did it. I am wanting to make a AR rifle for each of my kids (so they can have something special to always remember me by when they get older so they can tell there friends my dad made this)and thought of throwing one pistol in there just to change it up a little.

You may want to check this out, but I'm not sure they'll be able to inherit the 80% lowers. I know you can't build the 80% lower into a functional firearm and then sell it (without a manufacturers FFL) but I'm not sure how it works when you're gifting it to a family member.

I will just let my kids build them and I will be there for moral support. So they built them I didn't.

Unless the laws have changed, as I understand it you're allowed to build up to three firearms a year, without intent to sell, without a manufacturer's permit/license. If you do sell it at a later time, it does need a serial number and has to be registered with BATF (a simple form with a photo attached).

At least until some politician figures out how easy it is to do this these days and outlaws it...