• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Pistol for wife... Suggestions???

DoubleGobble00

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2009
Brandon, MS
I am thinking about getting my wife a pistol for her car. Any recommendations? I was thinking snub nosed hammerless feather lite 38 or something of that nature. I simple revolver that is small enough to fit her hand that you just point and shoot. Any good ideas on brands or models? Seems like Taurus makes some that are around $300. I also toyed with the idea of a 22. I know that is not much of a round but it would be much easier for her to shoot. What ya think....

Btw, she would have to practice with them regularly and will be taught all safety measures. So it has so be something she can shoot and like to shoot.

DoubleG

Re: Pistol for wife... Suggestions???

If it's a gun to keep in the car and not to carry I would look at a stainless steel Taurus Judge. Loaded with .410 00buck shot. If it's going to be carried I'd look at a S&W model 60 .357mag but use low recoil 38spl loads for her, And the 357 mag stuff if you want to shot it some or maybe se can work up to mag loads. My mom carries a model 60, if weights a issue look at the same gun but in the alloy frame.

Um this is my suggestion for ANYONE who is looking to get something for the wife or gf or whatever.

Take them to somewhere that rents handguns and let them TRY OUT everything that is a possibility. Dont be affraid if she shoots a 1911 and likes it, or a Glock 17 and likes it .... let HER decide what she wants, not what you THINK she needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleGobble00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking <span style="text-decoration: underline">snub nosed hammerless feather lite 38 </span>or something of that nature.
DoubleG </div></div>

Its pretty hard to beat your initial thought

smith and wesson

she might like having a hammer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Um this is my suggestion for ANYONE who is looking to get something for the wife or gf or whatever.

Take them to somewhere that rents handguns and let them TRY OUT everything that is a possibility. Dont be affraid if she shoots a 1911 and likes it, or a Glock 17 and likes it .... let HER decide what she wants, not what you THINK she needs. </div></div>

Good sound advice

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. That is all very helpful. I actually have a free hour at a local in door pistol range that I had forgot about. They rent pistols to try also. That is a great idea and I might give that a try.

Btw, that taurus judge looks bad.. Whew, I bet it would mess you up big time.

My main concern is recoil. She is tiny (100 lbs) and has small hands. I don't want the 38 to be too much recoil. I owned a 1911 45acp that I traded and know that was way too much gun for her. It needs to be light and light on recoil.

Any info on this company? They make a light 32 caliber which could be a compromise.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/index.html

DoubleG

Just a note the light the gun is the worse the recoil. That's one reason the Model 60 I got my mom is the stainless steel verison and not a airlight. Plus I wanted something chambered in .357 mag.

I wouldn't go below a 9mm if at all possible. If see is going to train with it the ammo could get expensive.

+1 on letting her pick out what feels good to her.

Do you reload? If so you can make lighter loads for a 38spl and let her work up. It's not as big a issue in a revolver as in a auto.

This month G&A has a shootout of a few 380ACP minis, and the SIG P238 looked really good in the test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This month G&A has a shootout of a few 380ACP minis, and the <span style="color: #FF0000">SIG P238 looked really good in the test</span>.
</div></div>

Other than its a direct copy of the Colt Pony/Mustang. And its a single action pistol, I dont want to carry something that is meant to be carried cocked and locked with only a single safety.

Featherweights are for CARRY. For SHOOTING where portability isn't an issue, a 4" steel gun that will be a lot more fun to practice is superior.
Why guys want a petite, lightweight gun even they can't hit with for their wive's non CCW use is beyond me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Featherweights are for CARRY. For SHOOTING where portability isn't an issue, a 4" steel gun that will be a lot more fun to practice is superior.
Why guys want a petite, lightweight gun even they can't hit with for their wive's non CCW use is beyond me. </div></div>

agreed 100%

Khooks - Thanks for the info. Yeah the heavier the gun the better for recoil. I just know she can not hold up a real heavy gun. I need to go hold a few to see the weight of these revolvers. Yeah I reload for my long range rifles. I haven't started for pistols but that is an idea.

Frog - Good point. This gun will mainly ride in the car and not CCW. How bout some recommendations?

DoubleG

I also have a .380 LCP and it's weight to power ratio is more than my mom can handle, the grip size may have something to do with it also. It packs a punch even in my hand, so a lightweight .380 may or may not work for her. My mom really liked the gun at first look and while holding it, put not so much after see fired a few rounds thru it. See has fired .38spl's most of her life and owns a 4" S&W (old school verison). Which is another reason she went with a small framed revovler, I up it to the .357 Model 60 so we could get the most out of the same gun. The stainless steel Model 60 has alittle weight to it due to the all stainless steel frame. Plus the use of low recoil 38spl loads make for easy shooting. But when you jump up to full house .357 mag loads the little gun packs a big punch.

1) Is she a beginner to pistols? novice? experienced? Is she average sized? petite? other? Hand strength? While most training and technique can overcome damn near any chambering (within reason). No sense in getting her a .410 judge if she's 4'11" 95lbs.

2) What is your experience with pistols? Will you be teaching her how to use it, or will she be going to any training classes? It doesn't make much sense if say you're strictly a revolver man for her to get and auto or something neither of you is familiar with unless you send her to school.

3) What pistol calibers do you currently own and what are you familiar with? If you have 9mm, .40, .45ACP, .38spl already, she can easily be taught to use any with the proper training.

A few of my suggestions:

Glock 19
S&W model 10 (cheap and still useful, but should be professionally checked)
S&W model 60 w/ 3" barrel .38+P
1911 Commander in 9mm, .40, or .45

If recoil could be an issue, don't buy a pocket .38 special. As has been said, the most sound advice out there is: <span style="font-weight: bold">do not buy her a gun and tell her this is her car gun. Let her pick what she wants after having shot several to get a feel for what each type (autoloader vs revolver) and caliber (.22, .32, .380, .38, 9mm, .357, .40, 10mm, .45) feel like.</span>
I was at the range Saturday with my wife and a couple who we're good friends with. My wife shot a .50 AE and had 5 of 5 touching in the X and 10 ring on a standard silhouette target at 10 yards. Of course, she's not 5' and 95 lbs either. The female friend that was with us shot a .45 just fine, though she preferred my .40 over the .45. <span style="font-style: italic">She is</span> 4'10" and 95ish lbs.
The main thing is to let your wife pick what she wants. She would probably be fine with a Glock 19, M&P 9, XD 9, Smith Model 60, or even a .40 if she wants. The real-world ballistics with modern self defense bullets aren't all that different when you look at 9 vs 40 vs 45. Obviously the larger the bullet, the larger the hole, but shot placement (and therefore practice) are much more important. To that end, have her shoot a lot, pick what she wants, and practice regularly. A .22 revolver is deadly in the hands of someone who can use it, whereas a .45 is much less worrisome (to the intended target) in the hands of the inexperienced.

Thanks for all the help and ideas. It definitely needs to be something she wants and can handle. All good valid points and exactly what I was needing.

She is by far a beginner. She has shot one several times but did not grow up shooting guns and does not have the sound safety mentality that has been drilled into my head after years of use and respect for firearms. That is the main thing I want to teach her is safety. I am by far not a pistol guy. I have shot multiple pistols but only owned one 1911 45 that I recently traded for a action. I am a long range shooter mainly F Class and long range hunting applications. I have many long guns but not pistols.

She weight 100lbs and is about 5'6" or so... Real small frame and hands. I know she can not handle a lot of recoil nor a real heavy gun.

DoubleG

I always suggest a revolver for novice or people who are not "gun-people." Take your loved one out with a semi-auto and bring some dummy rounds. Once she's comfortable shooting, make the weapon malfunction with the dummy. When she looks at it like "WTF?" or tries to pull the trigger again, start yelling SHOOT, SHOOT, GET THE SHOT OFF!.. etc... Put the pressure on her. More than likely she'll do nothing or try to pull the trigger again.

The stress of a close gunfight is far more than the stress you can put on her. The good thing about a revolver is it goes bang if you pull the trigger again (assuming it's loaded). Often people (wives) don't like to leave a round in the chamber in a semi-auto. Often they'll forget to rack the slide.

IMO - the Ruger SP101 in .357 is the best option. It's not expensive, it's heavy enough to tame recoil, it's reliable, and you can shoot 38 or 357 when she's ready.

With good training and consistent practice, sure a SA is a great HD weapon, but she needs to be able to perform immediate action drills with no hesitation, while under stress and when she's not expecting it. One concealed carry class won't do it. I've trained too many people that carry guns daily and still look at the gun when it jams..

Just my .02

My wife and all my friends wives carry a G19, the smaller frame fits their hands better than the full size. And also for commonalty reasons. But just like some one had already mentioned, your best bet would be to take her to the range and rent as many guns for her as you can and let her decide what fits her best.

If it is a "car gun" only, why is recoil an issue considering that she'll likely never (hopefully) have to shoot it? Seems like a 3" Taurus Judge is what you'd want - .410 recoil is not bad at all and she'd get a pattern instead of a single bullet when shooting under duress (she is a beginning beginner right?).

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl-ZIo-Wztc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl-ZIo-Wztc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Also, what sort of lock box or safe are you going to be keeping this pistol in? Locked glove boxes and center consoles just don't cut it.

If I were getting a pistol for my wife I'd probably shoot for a Volkmann full custom commander.
........oh, you're looking to get your wife a pistol, not talking about a trade, sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If recoil could be an issue, don't buy a pocket .38 special. As has been said, the most sound advice out there is: <span style="font-weight: bold">do not buy her a gun and tell her this is her car gun. Let her pick what she wants after having shot several to get a feel for what each type (autoloader vs revolver) and caliber (.22, .32, .380, .38, 9mm, .357, .40, 10mm, .45) feel like.</span>
</div></div>

Ding ding ding!!!!!! we have a winner!

DoubleG, if your profile were filled out I would know if you were in a concealed carry state or a communist state. If its the former, get her some basic pistol training (if you are like 95+% of couples, it would behoove you to have someone else train her), then get her her concealed carry. Then let her choose, after trying the different action types in various calibers.
If its not with her, or she doesn't have the skill, confidence and drive to use it as a tool to defend her life to the bitter end she may be better off with a less lethal defense and a cell phone.

A 410 revolver is a novelty, and better than nothing-but in my opinion its an overhyped solution to a problem that dosen't exist in the defensive carry arena.

If your wife is 5'6" and 100 lbs., I suggest you get her a sandwich instead of a gun.

I just bought 3 used cop guns from J&G sales for $240 each.
S&W M-67s, 4" .38Spec, adjustable sights. These were modified for DAO, which means you don't have to teach how to uncock.

S&W M-14,15, 66 ,67, 586, 686, any of the K or L frame .38s or .357s. Ruger Speed Six, Security Six, GP 100

A benefit of used (if not screwed up) is that the triggers are better than new, either through wear or some previous owner's trigger job.

Autos are for experts, enthusiasts, and those mandated to carry them by job requirements.

Training requirements are MUCH less for a revolver, easier to load, unload, and to tell the difference.

Click? Stroke the trigger again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your wife is 5'6" and 100 lbs., I suggest you get her a sandwich instead of a gun. </div></div>

I think I pissed a little on myself.

Man.. That judge is one bad dude. I might have to get that for my truck.

Thanks for the info. I think we will start looking around. I also have some friends with these guns that I can borrow and let her shoot. I will find one that she likes and will practice with.

I had never heard of J&G sales. Nice looking website and good prices. I too agree that the revolver is much simpler and would be easy to use in a time of distress. Thanks...

DoubleG

i'm not a fan of the light snub revolvers. i would try a longer barreled revolver like a 4-6 inch or an automatic.

As many said prior it is all what she is comfortable with. Range time with multiple different weapons and calibers. My wife has been working on learning to shoot. I bought a Walther P22 for her since she loved the size fit and feel. Ammo is cheap and it is something she can learn to shoot easy enough. Once she is really comfortable with that she wants to shop for her own gun.

Get her whatever SHE can handle well. Just make sure its a reputable manufacturer. Lots of good options out there these days. However, I would suggest that you get something that is at least .38 spl or 9mm caliber-wise. If she can handle larger, then go for it. The choice should ultimately be hers though!! There is no point in getting her something she won't use because she either can't hit accurately with it or it doesn't fit her hands properly.

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your wife is 5'6" and 100 lbs., I suggest you get her a sandwich instead of a gun. </div></div>

I think I pissed a little on myself. </div></div>

At least I'm not the only one who found that funny.

Ruger LCP (.380)
Good carry gun for females. My wife carries one in her purse. she can shoot it quite easily... She is 5'5 and 125. she is an avid runner and a natural athlete. I had her hitting the X ring on a police silhouette at 10 yards within 45 minutes of her opening the box and touching it for the first time.

Do not underestimate women and what they can handle! Girls are naturally better shooters then men.

let her try every pistol you can get your hands on. you wont regret it unless she chooses a wilson cqb or a nighthawk then that is some cash. lol! my gf loved the glock model 23 filled with hydroshocks. she tried many guns untill i let her try my off duty model 23 3.5 connecter, trigger smoothing, dead bang guns recoil rod, extended mag release, and a bar-sto barrel. whats not to love?

My wife is 5'8", 125 pounds, and a former state champ of TaeKwonDo. When she surprised me she wanted a CCW, I took her to a friends house, and between the two of us she was able to try a 38 titanium, Kahr .380, Ruger LCP, Kahr 9mm, Glock 26 and a Kahr .40 (my CCW). She first tried the revolver, and didn't want to shoot past the second shot. She hated it, and wanted nothing more to do with it. She didn't like the stern recoil of the .40, and decided she really liked the Kahr .380. My philosophy is that if she doesn't like it or is scared of it, she won't use it. However, if she likes the gun and carries it, she will practice with it more.

Thankfully my wife is an awesome shot anyway. Now I have to hide the Sig P38....

Some sort of compact Glock....either in a 40SW or 9MM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Um this is my suggestion for ANYONE who is looking to get something for the wife or gf or whatever.

Take them to somewhere that rents handguns and let them TRY OUT everything that is a possibility. Dont be affraid if she shoots a 1911 and likes it, or a Glock 17 and likes it .... let HER decide what she wants, not what you THINK she needs. </div></div>

Excellent Post

Pistol for yor wife? Na got one already and don't want to give up any of my pistols!

When I teach my classes the gun that is best for anyone is one that they familar with and comfortable with handling. Agree with Combat Commander "Let those who shoot decide". A 22 rimfire might be the one for a beginner, you never know.

+1 on the judge.

I have one with the 3" chamber and it shoots a lot nicer, with 0000 buckshot or slugs, than my .380 auto micro eagle.

Went through this with my wife...she tryed different pistols and revolvers. Even tho the revolvers were simpler, she said TOO bulky. Then I came home from a gun show with a Colt .380 Govt. stainless/alum. frame. ( which I bought for collector value) She sees that , picks it up and said "Purse gun." Haven't seen it since. I bought another , all steel, Colt Mustang to try and swap with her. Nope! too small of a grip. Eventually sold it 'cos the darn thing wanted to roll right out of your hand when fired. (Grip too small).
Autos may be more involved to use, but the key to carry is practice so much your muscle memory takes over when your asshole is so tight you couldn't drive a hypodermic needle up it with a 12lb sledge.

My wife carries the S&W featherlite hammerless .38 combined with Federal Hydroshock low recoil ammo you can't go wrong.

I just bought my 5' wife a glock 26 9mm and she shoots it just fine.

Downzero - My wife laughed when I told her about the sandwich post. That was pretty funny!

I am going to have to bring her pistol shopping to eliminate some and put some on the shoot list. The Glock in 380 sub compact does sound like a mighty fine pistol. I like the idea of that but she will need to shoot it a good bit to get good with it. They are probably hard to find. I never knew they built a 380 in a Glock.

I might look into a judge for myself. That thing is bad!

DoubleG

We are talking CAR GUN and not Carry Gun. Big Difference. Size is no real issue within reason. My wife did not like the Glock at all. She ended up taking over my 4" S&W 686-1. It has a Power Custom Combat Action Job, and has been modified for Full Moon Clips. I have Hogue rubber grips on it.

686 Smith & Wesson
It is heavy enough to soak up recoil.
It is light enough to point.
Nothing complicated about reloading it. Drop in the shells held in the moon clip, and shut the cylinder. It's ready to go. No complicated speed loader to figure out.
38+P and Mid Range 357/125's have enough Juice to get the job done.
Practice with light loaded 38's carry serious ammo in the car.

Something not mentioned so far are malfunctions caused by weak wrists and small ladies. The polymer frame semi auto's have a tendency to jam when not gripped solidly. My Glock 23 would jam when the wife shot it.

Revolvers are much simpler to operate. They are safer for casual shooters, who do not shoot much. They are not bad to malfunction due to ammunition, etc. In a K or L Frame they do not recoil hard enough to hurt your hand. They are simple to reload, especially when Moon Clip Converted. They will fire all 6 shots after years of non use or cleaning.

I have had my hands of several Taurus revolvers. The only one I was impressed with was a used one that resembled a Model 36, and it had been extensively worked on.

I would look for, in this order:
Smith & Wesson K or L Frame with 4" Barrel about any model would work.
Ruger Security Six, or GP100, in a 4" Barrel
SP101 in a long barrel version
Colt 38 or 357

Just my 2 Cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleGobble00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Downzero - My wife laughed when I told her about the sandwich post. That was pretty funny!

I am going to have to bring her pistol shopping to eliminate some and put some on the shoot list. The Glock in 380 sub compact does sound like a mighty fine pistol. I like the idea of that but she will need to shoot it a good bit to get good with it. They are probably hard to find. I never knew they built a 380 in a Glock.

I might look into a judge for myself. That thing is bad!

DoubleG </div></div>

Why still look for a subcompact for a car gun? If .380 auto is what you're looking for specifically, the Glock 25 is the "compact" (i.e. full-size .380) and the 28 is the "subcompact" (i.e. teeny .380). I still don't see why if it's going to be in a car, it has to be a small gun. A full size seems like it would be better to me, and when you're looking at the "compact" sized Glocks, I still consider those full size handguns. Sure, they're smaller, but they're still big enough to get all 3 extra fingers around.

There is literally no size difference between the Glock 25 (in .380) and the Glock 19 (in 9mm), and there is less than 3 ounces' difference in the loaded pistols (both of which hold 15 rounds). Answer this: Why go with one cartridge over another one that is harder to find, has less "stopping power," has only a little less recoil, and would be more difficult to resell for close to what you paid for it should it come to that? I know in my earlier post I said that modern self defense bullets aren't all that different ballistically from each other, but the 9mm has unquestionably more penetration than a .380 does; and it doesn't have much more recoil than the .380. Why intentionally go with a somewhat inferior cartridge over one that has more choices available for the shooter?

Even looking at the subcompact models, the 26 for 9mm and the 28 for .380, there is less than 3 ounces of difference fully loaded, they have the same capacity, and they're the exact same size. If you're convinced that you're buying a subcompact, again, why go with a slightly inferior cartridge when the guns themselves have literally zero difference in specs? I mean, it's your money so please do what you want. I'm just asking why you would want to go with a .380 Glock over a 9mm Glock when the differences in pistols is so negligible and the 9mm ammunition is so much easier to find (and therefore get more practice in with).

I think it's a great idea for both of you to go through a beginner pistol course, and it will be <span style="font-style: italic">so</span> beneficial for each of you. Since your profile doesn't say, if you're anywhere close to Central KY I can give you the name, number, and email of a great instructor who has regular NRA Pistol and concealed carry classes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, what sort of lock box or safe are you going to be keeping this pistol in? Locked glove boxes and center consoles just don't cut it. </div></div>

Also something to consider in all of this that is just as important. IMO

I think 9mm is the smallest round I'd want to be shot by my wife with...just my 2 cents.

38 spl bob tail hammer with a smooth easy trigger and practice, practice, practice!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~bog

I don't think you can get the Glock .380's in the states. If this has changed someone please correct me on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think you can get the Glock .380's in the states. If this has changed someone please correct me on it. </div></div>

Yeah your right. I just found that out. But like the other guys said.. The 9mm will do the same and is easier to find bullets for. I am learning here so just keep hammering away. It is starting to soak in.

Thank again for all the helpful info. Man I got a ton of ideas now.

As for as a lock box goes... What good would it do if you had to get to your pistol as quick as possible. I know that it is a great safety device... But does it defend the purpose of having a pistol in your vehicle if you have to stop, unlock the box, grab pistol, then defend yourself? Seems like you would not have enough time to get to it? I may very well be wrong about this.. That is why I am asking.

DoubleG

You use the lock box only when you leave the car. On getting in your car get the pistol out for use when you go to exit the car lock it up. My mom just keeps the pistol in a holster on the floor board covered in a white hand towel and never locks it up other than with the car door locks. Put her car is locked inside the garage in the basement most of the time withthe door locked. I carry my pistol on my side when I am out and about. Which is the only way I would have it and should be the way all people carry(just my thoughts). That way it's with you where ever you go and not in the car to be stolen.