• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns pistol in 357sig - recommendations?

threetrees

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Tirol
i'd be interesting in getting a pistol in 357sig and would like to hear your recommendations:

- the glock somehow has a plastic feeling to me and i'm not sure about the accuracy
- steyr m357, no idea, seems it's not produced anymore
- sig p226/p229 - maybe?

thanks for your input

Re: pistol in 357sig - recommendations?

I have no experience with that particular caliber, but I know if you get a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 or .357, you can change out the barrels while leaving everything else the same. You may wanna look into one of those, as I know I love my M&P 40c. It's pretty convenient to only have to do a quick barrel swap to change calibers. From start to finish, you can have the barrel swapped in less than 2 minutes easily on those.

Sig Pro(2340 or 2022) also just a quick barrel change back and forth between 357sig. 40sw.

What specifically are you planning on doing with the pistol?

Since the .357Sig really isn't a "competition" caliber per se, I'm assuming you are looking for a defensive pistol be it for nightstand use or a CCW.

Until a couple months back, I owned a Sig P226 in .357Sig. It was an extremely nice pistol. Not difficult for me to conceal/carry, very well-balanced, accurate enough for a defensive pistol, good traditional DA/SA trigger...all around a very good pistol. If I was going for a concealed carry, I would definitely opt for the P229 since its size lends itself to being easier to conceal/carry unless you just have a bigger frame or are more able to conceal a full-size pistol. The only reason I sold mine is that the novelty of the .357 Sig kind of wore off after a while. Nothing intended to disparage the round, but I just didn't need another mouth in the safe to feed and it was one less "off" caliber to deal with in terms of stocking ammo.

As Spazz said, any .40S&W can be converted pretty easily to a .357 Sig with a simple barrel swap. Mags are interchangeable between the calibers, so with a quick barrel swap, you can have both rounds.

As for "other" options besides the Sig P226/P229, there is:

Sig P239 or P250

S&W M&P or M&Pc

Glock (it may be tupperware, but the reliability and accuracy are fine)

HK (P2000, USP, USPc)

Springfield XD/XDm (the XDm is not available from the factory in .357Sig, but aftermarket barrels are available)

FNP

I had a Glock 357sig. Ran like Glocks do. Round is strong but it has a different recoil. It's a great defensive round but as ORD said I personally didn't like it for a competition round.

If you get the pistol PM me your addy as I've got some ammo I'll send you.

.357SIG is a pretty niche caliber. It's expensive as hell to shoot and doesn't do much that either 9mm or .40S&W can't do.

I had a Glock 32 and sold it. Was to expensive to feed and too snappy to enjoy shooting.

Another friend of mine had a 32...broke his locking block in it, twice.

I would stay away from that caliber, to be honest. Unless you have a really strong reason for wanting to shoot it...

Run a 9mm. Practice ammo is plentiful and soft shooting, then carry Buffalo Bore 124 +p+ when you carry as defensive protection.

It is running just shy of 1400fps out of a 4 inch barrel glock my friend has. It does everything the Sig does but cheaper to shoot when he goes to schools.

Id go for a glock or a sig. Glock may feel like plastic but they just run and run. They have pretty good accuracy also.

I really like the 229. I have a 229 in 40 s&w and it is my favorite pistol.

In all honesty I don't think the .357 Sig can do anything the .40 s&w can't do, and the .357 Sig is way more expensive. Just put lighter bullets in a .40 s&w and you have the same thing. Muzzle energy is pretty much the same from what I remember and the holes the .40 makes are a little bigger.

sig 229 or a glock 32

I have shot a 1911 in this and loved it, as far as the cost of the rounds its not much diff from the 40.....but I do not remember who had made the conversion for it. But I do know it was just a 40cal clip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ButcheN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot a 1911 in this and loved it, as far as the cost of the rounds its not much diff from the 40.....but I do not remember who had made the conversion for it. But I do know it was just a 40cal clip.</div></div>

Yes it is, and it's considerably harder to locate ammo for.

I've got a Sig 229 in 357 SIG and I like the gun a lot. It's extremely accurate. Way more accurate than it ought to be. I've shot at rocks with it out to around 200 yards and it drops less then I thought it would.

Down sides are:
It is that it is expensive to shoot. I don't shoot it all that much just for that reason. Even 45ACP costs less to shoot

Not everywhere will carry ammunition if you do need it.

Lastly if you reload you will need to do it just like a small rifle case with lube and everything that goes with it.

JMC

I haVe a couple 229s with 357 and 40 barrels and a Glock 31. They all have been very reliable. The Glock holds more rounds and has less complicated manual of arms (all my Sigs are SA/DA)...IMO the Sig is more accurate with stock barrels....both are combat accurate. I have tons of 357 ammo and it really cracks...My wife shoots her 229 in 40, but I keep my pair running 357...not a 40 fan. I would say you cannot lose with either G or sig, but the cost vs 9mm with today's high performance round availability would tend to make me consider a 229/226 or 17/19 or good 1911 in 9mm if you're going to do a lot of shooting. You can trick out any of them if you want to do some customizing/tuning.

I have an M&P in .357 sig and it shoots like a dream. Have also shot the Glock version. No issues with that one either. Have to agree with the ammo cost sentiment, and its availability. If you have the ability to reload, that is the way to go.

Mine is a Glock 32 and is accurate. I bought a 40 cal barrel with standard rifling and shoot lead reloads for pratice. It is one of my favorite handguns. Reliable and I got used to the feel even though I shoot a Sig226, CZ75B and Colt 1911. It does not fit like a glove but it feels good after a little pratice.

This Glock 31 is my nearly 24/7/365 companion. To me .40S&W is an "off" caliber. I don't own one. Don't want one nor need one. I do own a G32 also. .357 sig is no more expensive than .40S&W and actually it does do more things better than either 9x19 or .40 S&W. I get my practice ammo from Georgia Arms for $300 per thousand plus shipping, it's first rate and very closely resembles the performance of the Speer Gold Dot defensive ammo I use.

If you like the .357 auto round get a Glock 31 or 32 and you will have all the pistol you will ever need for defensive purposes.

vr31bl.jpg

And yes, I have "personalized" it just a bit...

2mwrspu.jpg

If I feel the need to shoot something less expensive to shoot, I'll take this to the range...

2nrouwk.jpg
(G17)

or my G19 or...one of my many other handguns not chambered in .40S&W.
And as noted above if I ever have a change of heart and decide for some unbeknownst to me now reason that I need to shoot 40. I can always get some barrels. Good luck!

Had a Sig 229, great gun but HEAVY!!
I'm a big fan of Glocks so that is probably the way I would go.. but I may also opt for an M&P, I've been meaning to try one out.

I'm a SIG fan, I own a half dozen of them. I had a Glock, once. The ergonomics were all wrong for me. SIGs fit my hand and come up to my eye naturally. You need to get a "feel" for the gun that suits you best. Grip should feel right without too much effort it should just fit into the palm of your hand and come up to a natural point of aim without a lot of stance or eye/hand adjustments. Trigger LOP should also feel right. The SIGs do all this for me and I can pretty much hit what I'm aiming at under stress fire even when I'm not aiming. If the Glocks suit you, by all means, buy some.

I have a Sig P226R in .357 and a Glock 35 with a Lone Wolf .357 barrel in it. Both shoot very well and are completely reliable with decent ammo (the only issues I've had have been with some cheap frangible that gives everything issues). While I'm happy with both (I prefer the Glock platform personally) I would agree that most people would be better served by the 9mm or .40 (9mm for me). I only use the .357 because the Sig is an issued duty gun and the Glock I use for competition through my dept (their ammo).

G32 is what I have and I love it. It is the first pistol I bought when I turned 21, fifteen years ago. I want a g33 to go with it some day. The g32 has never failed me at the range, I've never had to use it for anything else, luckily. I carried it everyday in a Super tuck with my shirt, tucked at work for three weeks while my LCP was at Ruger. I will have to admit, I felt a little safer knowing I had it instead of the mouse gun. I have no experience with a SIG.

I carried a 229 in .357sig for four years at work, it's a great gun and a great round, but if i had to chose what i could carry it would be a glock 9mm.

My Glock 32 is one of the most accurate pistols I own. It maintains its accuracy at obscenely long range, too...I've knocked over bowling pins at 200 yards with two shots out of five, on more than one occasion. Recoil is brisk, but not horrible. Performance on a living target is impressive. I've shot two goats and one coyote with the 357 Sig and it absolutely hammered them...as claimed it pretty much duplicates the 125 grain 357 Mag load.

Downsides? Muzzle blast is pretty horrendous. Factory ammo is a little spendier than the more common calibers. If you handload, components are more limited than for the 9mm/40S&W/45ACP, and loading requires lubing the case, so it isn't as fast as loading straight-walled or straight-taper cases where you can use a carbide or titanium nitride die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

Downsides? Muzzle blast is pretty horrendous. ...
</div></div>

This.
I shot between some secret squirrels in a carbine class that used their issued SIG .357s as their secondaries, and I certainly noticed the muzzle blast shooting alongside them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

Downsides? Muzzle blast is pretty horrendous. ...
</div></div>

This.
I shot between some secret squirrels in a carbine class that used their issued SIG .357s as their secondaries, and I certainly noticed the muzzle blast shooting alongside them. </div></div>

Yeah, aint it cool?!

Actually I shoot .357 sig all the time and I have never noticed it (muzzle blast) to be an issue. Possibly at night but not significantly more than .40 or .45. Definitely not a reason not to choose .357 sig.

Check out thr sig p229 or, if you want a slimmer And more easily concealed piece, the p239. I carry a stainless 229. A little heavy but soaks up recoil well and with a good gun belt and holster you wont notice much. 357 sig is not just a 9mm. The effects on people shot tell a different story

If you reload the .357 is bottle necked, so you have to lube the cases like rifle rounds.

You could always shoot the 135 grain .40 s&W

I had a glock 32 and I did notice the difference in recoil and blast when it went off, however when I shot in water filled milk jugs, the effects with gold dots was very impressive

top brass would be a good source for once fired brass if you decide to reload

I was an early adopter of a Glock 31 in 357 Sig. It's not a target gun, but you don't need to be worried about accuracy from it either. The PD I'm most familiar with switched from Sigs in 45 to Sigs in 357 many years ago. Here are their experiences:

Penetration: one thing that prompted the change was penetration concerns with the 45. They had an incident where a bank robber was cornered in a cul de sac in his car and attempted to run over an officer on foot to escape. In defense the officer shot the car door several times, yet not one round made it into the interior (maybe they all hit the side impact beam, not sure)

As soon as they switched they had a nearly identical incident in a Wal Mart parking lot. Two suspects robbed someone inside the store and then ran out to a getaway car. An officer was already onsite and attempted to stop the car. The driver floored the accelerator, heading toward the officer, and the officer fired. The round went through the a-pillar, through the metal center of the steering wheel, and then through the driver's arm, breaking both the bones in his forearm.

Lethality: before the switch they killed people. Since the switch they have not killed a single person. When that big slow 45 hit someone with reasonable shot placement it wad very lethal. The 357 round penetrates well but has caused mostly through and through wounds. I'm sure a head shot would be a different outcome.

I'd buy a 40 and buy the 357 barrel if you are still inclined

I think 357sig is great though I don't own one. Im a glock guy, so the choice of either a 32 or 33 is a no brainer.

This may sound wierd, but the thing I have againt the cartridge is how f'n loud it is. I know there are more important things to worry about in a self defense type situation....but if I can get the job done with something less deafening - I will. One of the reasons I carry 45.

My department has been using Glock 31s for the better part of 10 years now. They have been spectacularly reliable, accurate, and the few people we have shot with them never complained about it. I have become a fan of the .357 sig round though my experience with this pistol. Accuracy is there is you do your part. Hold dead center at 100, and it's on. Recoil in my mind is less than the .40, but it is a bit louder. Wear ear plugs like always, and you're fine.

SIG P229.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Denz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig Pro(2340 or 2022) also just a quick barrel change back and forth between 357sig. 40sw. </div></div>

yup i agree

I have carried a Sig P229 for over 4 years now. I'm not a pistol guy by any means...but since it's all I have most of the time I have no choice. That being said I would take that P229 anywhere. It hammers. It's probably been shot thousands of times and rebuilt but it still drills.

I bought my own P229 so I could take it to matches...figured practice for comps would be practice for work and vice versa. The one I bought was in .40 cal and at first I shot it as is...but damn...that 180gr load was snappy...much more so than my duty load of 125gr Speer GD. So I bought a factory 357 barrel for it. Yes it seems to be louder and brighter...but who cares...that 125gr pill is moving out at 1330 fps. The recoil in 357 Sig is "faster" it seems and my follow up shots were much quicker than with the .40cal.

So then my buddy wanted to get me into 3Gun...so he said get a Glock 35. They are cheap enough and can be easily configured for that game with mags and holsters. So I did. In .40 cal I struggled...so again I bought a 357 barrel for the Glock...oh that was much better...20 rounds of 357Sig ammo is a nice thing.

I still shoot my P229 better than anything else and I'm going to just sell that Glock 35 with the 357 barrel.

357Sig is what the 9mm should be...faster. Bullet design...especially the 125gr Speer Gold Dot is excellent. Do as everyone has said and get the 40 cal and a replacement 357 sig barrel...best of both worlds but once you shoot the 357 you might not want to shoot the 40...I sure don't.

As for carry...well I carry the P229 everywhere...literally. Day/Night, summer/winter. Never had any problems staying concealed. If you want smaller then you can opt for the P239 which is a great pistol as well...thinner and half the ammo as the P229.

I grew up on the 1911...and I would take 357 Sig over .45 all day...even if the mag capacity was the same...however, my other pistols are in .45...hahahaha.

Respectfully,

--KJ

L-R, Duty P229 in 357, P220 Elite Dark 45, bottom, my P229 for matches...in 357 of course.
IMG_20110716_144019.jpg

Glock 35 with Lone Wolf 357 barrel...and lots of mags...lol
IMG_20110708_153608.jpg

Bro, you've talked me into trying out the .357 barrel in my 229. I'm assuming factory is best?

Crimson Trace grips and Surefire X400? Is that just for the picture or does it serve a purpose to have two lasers? I'm sure it's scary as hell to have it pointed at you though...
laugh.gif

Hahahaha...I actually like the way the CT grips feel. That P220 came with aluminum grips that are nice but they just sit in the safe now. I just won that X400 and had to change out the spacer to fit these rails. I use it for the light...it just happened to come with a laser as well. Figures you would spot that, Dan...LOL.

Yes I use a factory Sig Barrel that will just drop right in.

Respectfully,

--KJ

I figured that about the light/multiple laser thing, but I'm sure you're looking for a third one to play Predator with on the range.
cool.gif

I'll be getting the new barrel on the way soon. I wanted to go back to carrying the Sig vs. the G19 anyhow, and this will give me the excuse to do it. Thanks bro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Bro, you've talked me into trying out the .357 barrel in my 229. I'm assuming factory is best?

Crimson Trace grips and Surefire X400? Is that just for the picture or does it serve a purpose to have two lasers? I'm sure it's scary as hell to have it pointed at you though...
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Why not go with a Barsto, KKM, or storm lake for a barrel?

Those are good choices as well...Factory barrels have always worked well enough for me that's all. I'm not going to recommend something I haven't used first hand.

Respectfully,

--KJ

ammo costs are not really the point. training, yes. but i'm not into competition.

so ... i'm currently in favour of the glock 31 gen4, lockable, with the case. night sights (any recommendations there?)

not sure whether i need adjustable sights.

any final opinions on that before i talk to by riflesmith?

As others have said, the P229 in .357 SIG is <span style="font-style: italic">the truth.</span>

P226..with rail and night sights

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a Sig 229, great gun but HEAVY!!
I'm a big fan of Glocks so that is probably the way I would go.. but I may also opt for an M&P, I've been meaning to try one out.</div></div>

And still 6 ounces lighter than the average all steel 1911. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was an early adopter of a Glock 31 in 357 Sig. It's not a target gun, but you don't need to be worried about accuracy from it either. The PD I'm most familiar with switched from Sigs in 45 to Sigs in 357 many years ago. Here are their experiences:

Penetration: one thing that prompted the change was penetration concerns with the 45. They had an incident where a bank robber was cornered in a cul de sac in his car and attempted to run over an officer on foot to escape. In defense the officer shot the car door several times, yet not one round made it into the interior (maybe they all hit the side impact beam, not sure)

As soon as they switched they had a nearly identical incident in a Wal Mart parking lot. Two suspects robbed someone inside the store and then ran out to a getaway car. An officer was already onsite and attempted to stop the car. The driver floored the accelerator, heading toward the officer, and the officer fired. The round went through the a-pillar, through the metal center of the steering wheel, and then through the driver's arm, breaking both the bones in his forearm.

Lethality: before the switch they killed people. Since the switch they have not killed a single person. When that big slow 45 hit someone with reasonable shot placement it wad very lethal. The 357 round penetrates well but has caused mostly through and through wounds. I'm sure a head shot would be a different outcome.

I'd buy a 40 and buy the 357 barrel if you are still inclined </div></div>

I seem to recall hearing of a similar incident involving an 18 wheeler and a Texas Dept. of Public Safety officer. One with a .45 and another with a .357 Sig.

I keep entertaining ideas of a Lightweight Commander in .357 Sig, .38 Super, or 9x23 Win. Can't make up my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I keep entertaining ideas of a Lightweight Commander in .357 Sig, .38 Super, or 9x23 Win. Can't make up my mind. </div></div>

38Super is my favourite round .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'd be interesting in getting a pistol in 357sig and would like to hear your recommendations:

- the glock somehow has a plastic feeling to me and i'm not sure about the accuracy
- steyr m357, no idea, seems it's not produced anymore
- sig p226/p229 - maybe?

thanks for your input </div></div>

The SIG 226 if offered would be the way to go. The 226 is an accurate quality platform for the Sig designed round.

I like Glocks but would only buy a 9mm Glock. Too many exploding plastic framed guns threads on the other calibers-

Not that I think you can't do anything with a 9mm glock that you could do with a .357SIG Glock.

The sig 226 is a fine weapon, although QC issues have risen in recent years, and would serve you well. I wouldn't discount the Glock 31. If it doesn't shoot well for you, by all means elminate it from your choices, but I've noticed LE agencies in my area are transitioning to this round in the Glock 31.

Ive owned a sig 226 in 357 and a g32. The glock of course was easier to carry, but was hard for me to shoot accurately. To me the 357 sig was just too snappy for the glock. It was quite comfortable in the sig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glockdan78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive owned a sig 226 in 357 and a g32. The glock of course was easier to carry, but was hard for me to shoot accurately. To me the 357 sig was just too snappy for the glock. It was quite comfortable in the sig. </div></div>

The difference in .357 SIG for me between the 226 and the 229 is that the 229 reindexes just about perfectly, whereas recoil recovery from the 226 requires just that much more additional effort. Between the added weight, the added size, and the difference in recoil absorption and platform reaction, I just don't do the 226 for practical shooting. It's great for slow, considered shooting in 9MM, but if I need follow-ups, I want the 229 in .357 SIG. YMMV, but that's why I've been advocating the combination in this thread.