• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns pistol in 357sig - recommendations?

Re: pistol in 357sig - recommendations?

Ive never owned a 229. Always wanted one, but it never fit my needs.

Had a 229, good pistol quite accurate but was a little heavy an for various reasons have lost my love for sig an their products.
Picked up a G31 to replace it, great gun nice round. Bit of a pain to reload if you plan on doing that at all.
Ended up clearing out all my 357 and went strictly with 10mm. Can't argue much regarding performance between the two. Yes the frame is bigger but so is the performance. .
Good luck on your search, an i would definitely look at the M&P. I like my Glocks but def. like my new M&P i got in a trade recently. My vote would be with the M&P in 357,let us know how ya make out.

have not considered smith&wesson yet ...

"for various reasons have lost my love for sig an their products" -> may i ask why?

Been carrying a G33 for a little over a year now. It's a great pistol. Very accurate!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock. </div></div>

+1 I still have my 32 and it's a great gun. It takes you a little while to get used to the snappiness of it but once you do it's no big deal.

I bought a G31 back in the Summer of 99 when they first came out, and when 357SIG ammo only cost $1 more per box over 9mm ...don't get me started!

I like the Glock quite a bit, and would shoot it more if the ammo wasn't so damn expensive now.

I feel the 357SIG round has some outstanding qualities that many other calibers can't come close to, and ended up buying a SIG P226-ST (Stainless frame) since I am a big fan of the 226 also.

I think I like the Glock over the Sig shooting the 357SIG, but then again I've shot more rounds through the Glock.

Although the Sig with stainless frame swallows up much of the recoil the round has, and makes it very pleasent to shoot.

My only 357sig is an HK USPc. I love my 1911s but this pistol is fun and accurate.

I carried a sig p226r for years in Leo.....never failed me. I loved the gun because I never had a single malfunction. Only one was my fault because I didn't lock the mag in. Otherwise, having a da/sa capability is invaluable. Sigs are know for their triggers....i can pull my trigger back to about maybe a 1/4lb of breaking a shot every time.....it only took me about two weeks practicing with an empy weapon to fund the sweet spot.

Also, if you want....you can change the barrel to .40 caliber with a barrel swap. If your concerned that 357 sig doesn't have enough stopping power just go look up ballistics tests on google and you will have your answers. With the right ammo, the round has unreal penetration power.

Just make sure you get a sig that is feels good in your hand and that you can get a clear sight picture on the front sight quickly every time you draw.

The bottleneck shape of the .357 SIG cartridge makes feeding problems almost non-existent. This is because the bullet is channeled through the larger chamber before being seated entirely as the slide goes into full battery. Flat point bullets are seldom used with other autoloader platforms because of feeding problems; however, such bullets are commonly seen in the .357 SIG chambering and are quite reliable, as are hollow-point bullets.
The "Accurate Powder" reloading manuals claims that it is "without a doubt the most ballistically consistent handgun cartridge we have ever worked with.I choose a glock 33 in 357sig for the reasons that it is a one stop shot pistol with deep penetration and wound cavity as well here are some stats.

Manufacturer Load Mass (grains) Velocity (ft/s) Energy (ft•lbf) Expansion (inches)[6] Penetration (inches) [6] PC[6] (cu in) TSC[6] (cu in)
Triton Quik-Shok 115 1425 518 frag 9.0 4.1 43.2 (est)
Winchester Ranger T 125 1385 532 0.75 11.5 5.1 45.0 (est)
Federal Premium JHP 125 1430 568 0.62 12.7 3.8 49.5 (est)
Speer Gold Dot JHP 125 1385 532 0.68 16.5 6.0 45.0 (est)
Remington JHP 125 1350 506 0.57 14.3 3.6 41.7 (est)
Federal Premium JHP 150 1210 488 0.60 15.0 4.2 39.4.

never understood the discussion about 'strength' of the 357sig. look up any standards for bullet-proof vests and check what each level is expected to withstand ... that should stop most discussions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tacreloader25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SIG 229 in 357sig is a vary nice gun. But is a big gun for carry. </div></div>

That depends upon what you think "big" is. P229s absolutely disappear in a good holster.

Two years ago I bought a G31 after reading all the hype about the .357 sig. After carring it everyday with a SF X300 for about a year and a half, 2000+ gold dots fired with ZERO malfunctions, dispatching two whitetail does, three coyotes and one stray dog I have absolutely nothing to complain about. A very handy package to say the least.

Ive got a XD in .357sig and i love it.
2011-11-01_19-33-33_626.jpg

acquired two P226's the other day, one in 40cal and one in 9mm the other day. have yet to shoot them. i love the XD better than my glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have not considered smith&wesson yet ...

"for various reasons have lost my love for sig an their products" -> may i ask why? </div></div>
Because me no likey gun that brakey when I MUST have it work. Fortunately it was during range time but having to replace multiple parts on a gun that wasn't shot THAT hard or mistreated is unacceptable. In addition several other colleagues had issues ranging from hammer spring issues to sights falling off or coming apart *tritium vial falling out*.
SO thats why I'd take the Glock or the M&P.
PA Game Commission and Maine Wildlife Wardens?? also carry G31's. I spoke with one of the gentleman from Maine about 2 years ago and asked him how they were doing with/for them. He said they love'm. They dont just deal with deer an lil critters. Keep in mind bear and moose arent' all that uncommon there.

xd probably not available in austria ... but for glocks, i do think we might have a local distributor
wink.gif

I shot a Glock M31 a few months back and was pleased with the accuracy (vs. an earlier experience with a M17). I also like the .357 Magnum and .357 SIG is so close as to make arguing about it a waste of time.

I bought a Glock M31 a few months ago and I'm fine with it so far. Tried reloading the plated bullets (Berry's and Ranier and neither shot decent groups - keyholing at 10 yds. is a pretty squirrely looking thing, especially when the factory ammo made such nice looking groups. Now I'm getting ready to try some Hornady 124 grain HPs in it when I next get to the range.

Another reason for choosing the M31 over the XD was the Glock holds 3 more rounds than the XD.

I carried a Glock 33 for several years. It was very accurate out to 25 yards, recoil was a bit harsh and muzzle blast was massive. Overall I loved the gun. The only reason I'm not still carrying it today is over penetration concerns.

I'm actually thinking about switching from a Glock 19 to the Glock 32 for my carry weapon. I live in Vermont so long distance shots might be a possibility so I know a 9mm won't cut it. The good thing is the 19 and 32 are the same ergonomically. So I'll be able to train a lot with the 19 and break out the 32 every once in a while, but keeping it as my carry gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluegrass Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The only reason I'm not still carrying it today is over penetration concerns. </div></div>

How much overpenetration will come from the bullets that miss the target?

I have a XD .357 that I bought back in 2005 with about 7000 rounds (I don't shoot much) through it... I love it. While I own a plethora of other handguns, this one gets shot the most.
While shooting some steel, the 40 doesn't come close to putting the hurt on the targets. Some actually wrote that they are the same thing, they probably don't know anything much about the ballistics. Try it for yourself, you won't be disappointed.

looking some more into it ... i'm thinking now of going for a sig p226 or p229 in classic 22 including an x-change kit for 357sig.

nice and easy and especially cheap training with the 22, plus some more training with the 357sig.

anyone happen to have experience/comments on that approach?

+1 for a SIG in .357 as I have carried the P229 concealed for several years and love it, the ability to simply change a barrel and go between .40 and .357 SIG is an amazing thing especially for training and cutting ammo costs or having availability issues.

Glock 32. If you do a triggerjob and install a alum. Trigger it will take the mushy plastic feel outa firing the pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt2143</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for a SIG in .357 as I have carried the P229 concealed for several years and love it, the ability to simply change a barrel and go between .40 and .357 SIG is an amazing thing especially for training and cutting ammo costs or having availability issues. </div></div>

that's why i was thinking about the 22lr option ...

Due to a hard learned lesson I will be making the switch to a Sig in 357 Sig VERY soon! I had a situation arise that required me to shoot through two panes of automotive glass. I carry a Sig 226 in 9mm and the round did a wonderful job through the first layer of glass but only cracked the second. The round didn't have the speed or energy to get the job done. It's a real eye opener when the round you count on fails when you need it the most.
With all of the positive reviews and from the research I have done the switch to the Sig round is a no brainer. Also, compared to a glock the Sig fits my hand better and the weight feels good. I have had the same 226 since 2008 and have had ZERO malfunctions ever!
It is extremely important to have absolute and total confidence in the weapon ( and round) you are carrying and the 226 does that for me.
P.S. I am curious about the overpressure while shooting in a vehicle with the Sig round. I know for a fact 9mm is a bitch so the Sig round must be hell!

P229 in .357 and .40cal Barsto when at range.

I am a HUGE 357sig fan. A glock 33 was by far my favorite glock of all time. It was VERY accurate, and it was like shooting a laser beam. I convinced my friend to get a G32 recently and he couldn't be happier. You can just throw the 40 barrel in the 33,32,31 glock and use the same mags to have a conversion and some more fun. When I had my g33 I had both the 9mm and 40 barrels. Great stuff. I sold it because at the time I wasn't reloading 357sig like I am now, so it wasn't as feasible as it is now. I can reload it for around 8 per box. So I'm probably going to get another one soon. Also georgia arms sells awesomely priced 357sig thats great for the range and for brass.

You would need a gallon of Crisco and a Crow Bar to pry my G32 away from me.

Glock says it's there highest penetrating round currently offered in any Glock.

It only weighs 26oz (i carry it in the High Country hunting, too many black bears)

13 round magazine, 4" barrel.

It is the most accurate of the Glock rounds that i have shot. I like the super muzzle blast it rocks! I practice when im sitting on the couch watching tv racking the slide, dry firing, and doing trigger resets. I am very happy with the accuracy and reliability. For concealed carry, firepower, weight, penetration, etc. I don't think there is another round/pistol that comes close to it.

As stated earlier with the ammo cost. $16 per 50 for the Sig vs about $12 per 50 for the 9mm isn't enough to sway me from the Sig. I spend way more than that for my rifle rounds, man up dammit!

I got a SW M$P 357sig compact and it carrys sweet.

i carry a 229 in 357
it is alot smoother than the glock, which for some reason has much more perceived recoil in this cal than the 40

Just a thought the Springfield XD can have a barrel swapped out for a .40 cal with no other mod i believe

g32 with a ss guide rod and 20-22lb ismi spring. 18lb is factory spec but that's also for wimpy 9mm. only other mod needed is new sights.

so ... p226 or p229, with accessory rail and 22lr swap system. going for the full dark version.

final question: what do you think of
a) beaver tail? (i think i don't want it)
b) more important: what do you guys think of the DAK? i will probably go for dao ... and dak seems to be an improvement on the dao.

No DAK, no DAO, traditional DA/SA in the 229. I've tried DAK several times and was unimpressed. SRT I haven't shot; supposedly it's good, but I've also heard people rave about what I know to be absolutely smacked crap. Also, I run a stainless steel guide rod, which seems to smooth recoil.

DAK is terrible. Even DA/SA is better, because then you only have one shitty trigger pull, instead of all of them.

oh - and recommended sig sights, grips etc

seems there are few things you can change on a sig compared to a glock. something like a glockstore.com for sigs would be interesting ...