• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pistol Suppressor Questions

skatz11

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
Lexington, KY
What’s the general consensus and science behind setting up a striker fired gun for suppressed use?

I’m taking my new Omega 9K out tomorrow for the first time. Not my first suppressor. I have a few rifle cans and have my ARs tuned up to run efficiently and correctly. There’s lots of good info on that, but not much about pistol setups. It’s either they run great or don’t at all.

I’m used to tuning my pistols for USPSA. Most of my glocks are using 13 lb recoil springs and my ammo is 124gr at 1050-1070 FPS.

I keep hearing that glocks are a bad host. What variables make a good host? I’m not opposed to dedicated a new gun for this, but buying a few threaded Glock barrels was the easy button while my can was in jail.

The way to have the quietest 9mm pistol is to start out with one of the good 9mm cans and then shoot 165gr "HUSH" or Ammo, Inc's "STELTH" load. It is significantly quieter than regular 147gr subs.

Some guns run this without modification, while some require weaker main springs and/or booster springs (do this at own risk).

Testing our suppressor (Fly9), I found that "old" Gen2/3 Glock 19's were fine with either type (147/regular power, and 165gr extra-subs) would usually work fine. Gen5's were sprung way stiffer and I could not get a Gen5 19X to run with the 165 extra-subs. 43/43X's ran fine with both. The HK's seem to run fine with both types-- I tested USP's only though.

ETA: on the 19x, when I got a weak enough op spring, the slide would actually move during the trigger pull, to get the 165's to run

Reactions: skatz11
I have limited experience suppressing pistols.

However the one setup I've tried, is my VP9 with SiCo threaded barrel, and Octane 45HD with booster. So far I've only tried it with 115 grain Blazer ammo, but it doesn't run reliably at all. Malfunctions every 2-3 rounds. I've read that I may need to try heavier ammo, haven't gotten around to testing that yet.

The way to have the quietest 9mm pistol is to start out with one of the good 9mm cans and then shoot 165gr "HUSH" or Ammo, Inc's "STELTH" load. It is significantly quieter than regular 147gr subs.

Some guns run this without modification, while some require weaker main springs and/or booster springs (do this at own risk).

Testing our suppressor (Fly9), I found that "old" Gen2/3 Glock 19's were fine with either type (147/regular power, and 165gr extra-subs) would usually work fine. Gen5's were sprung way stiffer and I could not get a Gen5 19X to run with the 165 extra-subs. 43/43X's ran fine with both. The HK's seem to run fine with both types-- I tested USP's only though.

ETA: on the 19x, when I got a weak enough op spring, the slide would actually move during the trigger pull, to get the 165's to run
Thanks for the information. My gun and ammo worked great today. No malfunctions and no POI shift with my 124gr USPSA load.

I’m looking forward to loading some 147s and trying a few boxes of the 165s.

Next up is my G45 and G43x

0E9D7E6D-0B54-463C-9ADB-626D1EA6D398.jpeg

My recommendation for getting striker-fired pistols to run is to use a FN 509. I haven't had to do anything with either the full-size Tactical or the 509C other than remove the thread protector and install the can.

Reactions: kthomas
I keep hearing that glocks are a bad host. What variables make a good host? I’m not opposed to dedicated a new gun for this, but buying a few threaded Glock barrels was the easy button while my can was in jail.
What makes a Glock a less than optimal suppressor host is the same reason why they are typically regarded as "reliable".

The tolerances in the gun are made so that they will run in almost any condition. Those slightly looser tolerances though can introduce binding when a suppressor is introduced.

Particularly when the slide reciprocates there is more tolerance in those moving parts where when you hang a weight on the end of the muzzle things become not as free as they need to be so the slide and barrel have more friction that will lead to malfunctions.

I'm not an expert in all handguns by any means but in general that is the main culprit behind suppressed Glocks hanging up.

What makes a Glock a less than optimal suppressor host is the same reason why they are typically regarded as "reliable".

The tolerances in the gun are made so that they will run in almost any condition. Those slightly looser tolerances though can introduce binding when a suppressor is introduced.

Particularly when the slide reciprocates there is more tolerance in those moving parts where when you hang a weight on the end of the muzzle things become not as free as they need to be so the slide and barrel have more friction that will lead to malfunctions.

I'm not an expert in all handguns by any means but in general that is the main culprit behind suppressed Glocks hanging up.

Don't forget that Glocks also have relatively short slide/barrel travel before the barrel unlocks. This is generally good for reliability unsuppressed but perhaps not so good for delaying the extraction process when subjected to the higher/longer impulse when running a high-backpressure suppressor, so you have the potential for improper operation.

I've been running 165gr N340 subs in my Gen3 G19, AR9, MP5, SIG P229 for years. Insanely quiet, stupid accurate and hits steel like a sledge.

My favorite 9mm suppressor host....SIG P229

I've been running 165gr N340 subs in my Gen3 G19, AR9, MP5, SIG P229 for years. Insanely quiet, stupid accurate and hits steel like a sledge.

My favorite 9mm suppressor host....SIG P229

Which bullet are you using? I’m want to order some 165s to try out.

Rugged Obsidian 9
Glock 19/5-Zero issues with various 115/124 and 147 loads
Glock 45-Same
HK VP9T-Same
Sig X5Carry-took 300 rounds to function reliably, even leaving slide locked for 2-3 weeks during sessions. (I heard others had issues and Sig's half assed response was if not using a Sig can then they didn't want to hear it-FU sig)

My recommendation for getting striker-fired pistols to run is to use a FN 509. I haven't had to do anything with either the full-size Tactical or the 509C other than remove the thread protector and install the can.
That trigger tho...ugh. I really want to love that gun but the trigger is sooooo bad

Tagging this thread as I keep going back and forth between ordering a fly 9 today or waiting for the fly 45…

Would the extra weight of the 45 cause more problems on a glock? Are the adapters available to get back to 1/2 28?

If you get one for the 45, make sure it is rated for 10mm.

Trust me the 10mm suppressed with 230 grain Hardcast is a dream to shoot and they hit like a brick

Tagging this thread as I keep going back and forth between ordering a fly 9 today or waiting for the fly 45…

Would the extra weight of the 45 cause more problems on a glock? Are the adapters available to get back to 1/2 28?

My Obsidian 45 is modular...short or long config and pistons for all the different threads sizes