• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Pistol suppressors

Jnull

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
I’m looking at buying a few more cans, with whats in stock at SS I’m pretty certain I’m going to pick up a rugged radiant, dead air mask 22 and not sure where to go on the pistol can, I think I want to go 9mm since I have an octane 45. Here’s what I’m considering:

-rugged obsidian 9
-rugged obsidian 45
-CGS mod 9
-dead air wolfman (meh)
-sico osprey 9 (meh)

I thought I wanted a wolfman at one point but don’t have any subguns yet and itd probably suck on a pistol. I also feel indifferent about the osprey as well. The obsidian 45 seems to have a more useful K length then the 9 that’s why it’s on there.

Mostly leaning toward the mod 9 and one of the obsidians but they’d both have to be backordered. What do you guys like and why?

Cans I already have:

-omega 30
-sandman Ti
-saker 556
-octane 45HD
-762SDN-6

I like my Obsidian .45. The Osprey .45 is nice, but it tends to back off/go out of alignment if not watched closely.

I’ve seen that a lot on the ospreys. Is the obsidian 45 useful in both lengths? More so then the 9 do you think? Thanks.

I’ve seen that a lot on the ospreys. Is the obsidian 45 useful in both lengths? More so then the 9 do you think? Thanks.
1. It appears that the Osprey gets more bad raps around here than it really deserves. Overall, I'm happy with it. If it stayed tight, I'd have no complaints. At that, it is a fairly minor "complaint".

2. Sure, the Obsidian is useful in both lengths. My pistol cans are playthings for me. I'm a dreadful pistol shot (old eyes), so when I add a can, it's going to be in the long/greatest SPL reduction configuration. I do have a gripe (albeit minor) with the Obsidian. That is; the front end cap should be manufactured with a crown that overlaps/protects the front of the tube. If you drop the can, Murphy always decides that it will hit at an angle to the front of the tube, on concrete. The result is a dented tube, the cap may or may not come out and per ATF regs, has to go back to Rugged for "repair". Ask me how I know. If they'd just make the front cap with a crown, the tube would be protected from that kind of damage. I'm sure I'm not the only knucklehead that has pulled that stunt. Oh, and once I've taken posession of a can, I get the heebie jeebies about sending it anywhere.
Don't get me wrong, Rugged was great, quick and it cost me nothing, other than the one way (I also added insurance) shipping costs. The workmanship/craftsmanship of the Rugged Obsidian is top drawer. But then, so is SiCo. With today's machine tools and CAD/CAM, I doubt there are any top tier manufacturers out there that consistently put out junk.

What pistol is the obsidian 45 going on? I’ve used my obsidian 45 on my G19 in both configurations and it works well. The shorter configuration is better for recoil. I had a lot of rounds on my stock G19 recoil spring and in the long length it would fail to return to battery but did not have the issue in short length.

I bought a new recoil spring and now it functions 100% in both short and long. On a G19, the shorter length definitely feels much more balanced than long.

I have my Obsidian 45 on my 8.5” 300blk for subsonic. It works great for that. I can consistently hit small circle plates at 200 yards with it. Until someone comes out with a solution to a good retention suppressed pistol holster that doesn’t require a super long draw, pistol suppressors are just fun range use or night stand use for the bump in the night.

Oh yea they’re pure range toys, I carry a p365.

Hosts are

-P320 9mm
-FN509 tac 9mm
-HK P30S 9mm
-FNX45 tac (octane 45 lives on it)

Next purchase will probably be a sig MPX-K 9mm

1. It appears that the Osprey gets more bad raps around here than it really deserves. Overall, I'm happy with it. If it stayed tight, I'd have no complaints. At that, it is a fairly minor "complaint".

2. Sure, the Obsidian is useful in both lengths. My pistol cans are playthings for me. I'm a dreadful pistol shot (old eyes), so when I add a can, it's going to be in the long/greatest SPL reduction configuration. I do have a gripe (albeit minor) with the Obsidian. That is; the front end cap should be manufactured with a crown that overlaps/protects the front of the tube. If you drop the can, Murphy always decides that it will hit at an angle to the front of the tube, on concrete. The result is a dented tube, the cap may or may not come out and per ATF regs, has to go back to Rugged for "repair". Ask me how I know. If they'd just make the front cap with a crown, the tube would be protected from that kind of damage. I'm sure I'm not the only knucklehead that has pulled that stunt. Oh, and once I've taken posession of a can, I get the heebie jeebies about sending it anywhere.
Don't get me wrong, Rugged was great, quick and it cost me nothing, other than the one way (I also added insurance) shipping costs. The workmanship/craftsmanship of the Rugged Obsidian is top drawer. But then, so is SiCo. With today's machine tools and CAD/CAM, I doubt there are any top tier manufacturers out there that consistently put out junk.

I hear you I don’t even like sending receivers out to be engraved I’m afraid they’re gonna get lost.

I’m sure that’d happen to me too with the end caps, luckily i shoot on my own land so no concrete.

I picked up my 509 Tactical a few months back. I've only put about 100 rounds through it, and can't complain about much. I don't have near the trigger time that a lot of members here have, so I don't notice a lot of the issues that most do regarding trigger pull.

I had a Henry Holsters Compensator on mine, until they were recalled. Now I'm looking for another option for a compensator. I like the look of the WAR 509 Comp, but am not sure how the angled front will affect its performance.

My plan is to throw an RMR, a comp, and either a TLR-1-HL or a X300 on mine, and make it my EDC. I'll need to spend a bit of time shaking down what ammo it likes, especially once I get the comp figured out. After that, I'm sure I'll just need some range time to work out any issues with the RMR, so I have complete trust in the final product.

I picked up my 509 Tactical a few months back. I've only put about 100 rounds through it, and can't complain about much. I don't have near the trigger time that a lot of members here have, so I don't notice a lot of the issues that most do regarding trigger pull.

I had a Henry Holsters Compensator on mine, until they were recalled. Now I'm looking for another option for a compensator. I like the look of the WAR 509 Comp, but am not sure how the angled front will affect its performance.

My plan is to throw an RMR, a comp, and either a TLR-1-HL or a X300 on mine, and make it my EDC. I'll need to spend a bit of time shaking down what ammo it likes, especially once I get the comp figured out. After that, I'm sure I'll just need some range time to work out any issues with the RMR, so I have complete trust in the final product.

I do love my 509 tac, definitely one of my favorite pistols. I have an RMR on mine as well and it’s deadly accurate.

Reactions: Wading
Well I did everything but buy a pistol can, SS just didn’t have anything that turned me on. Went with a rugged radiant and a dead air mask 22, I was pretty pleased to see them in stock.

When one of the rugged obsidians comes in stock I’ll probably grab one. I could get one elsewhere but I’m already in the SS system so all I had to do was take a new picture and sign my documents, all while working in the state of New York lol.