• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Pistol under $600, please advise.

Re: Pistol under $600, please advise.

Easy. FNP or FNX. They are both DA/SA, not striker fired and meet all of your requirements... similar to the USP, but around $600

I will weigh in with the FNP series. Excellent handguns, and they do offer the SA/DA that you are looking for. I have one with 1000 rounds with not one failure of any sort.

It sounds like he wants an M&P 9mm to me.

FN P40 is a beautiful sidearm. I shot 23 of 25 for police quals and at competition hit all targets with one shot left handed.

It works, takes all kinds of ammo, fits my hand like a glove, and it hits what you aim at. Got mine for around $425 a few years ago.

I just held the M&P for the first time today and I was pretty impressed. Low bore, higher trigger guard, beaver tail. It was pretty nice. Definitely feels better in the hand than the Glock. Only complaint was the trigger had some creep.

I would have to run a couple thousand rounds through it but I do not think you could go wrong with the M&P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: V-Taper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just held the M&P for the first time today and I was pretty impressed. Low bore, higher trigger guard, beaver tail. It was pretty nice. Definitely feels better in the hand than the Glock. Only complaint was the trigger had some creep.

I would have to run a couple thousand rounds through it but I do not think you could go wrong with the M&P.

</div></div>

I highly recommend the Apex trigger kit. I have an M&P Pro, which has a "factory" trigger job of sorts, and the Apex drop-in kit produces a way better trigger even than the Pro.

Springfield XD kit. He'll like the smaller grip. Used will getcha more for less. Then take him to some IDPA or IPSC matches. After awhile, he'll start selling off his other toys for a race gun....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with the M&P line. </div></div>

+1 and tell him to get a 9mm so he can get cheap ammo for it and practice a lot more than the .45 ACP seeing how money is an issue.

I've routinely seen used Sig P226 and 229's for around $600 on CDNN. You've mentioned you're partial to them, so if six hundo is your high dollar mark, then CDNN might be the place to look.

I know they sell the XD there too. I'm certainly not a CDNN shill, but I've been lucky in what they've sent me. Anyhow, if you're in the market, they might be an option you want to look at for quality used and new guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GhostWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FN P40 is a beautiful sidearm. I shot 23 of 25 for police quals and at competition hit all targets with one shot left handed.

It works, takes all kinds of ammo, fits my hand like a glove, and it hits what you aim at. Got mine for around $425 a few years ago. </div></div>

1+ i love my FN P40

Used, Police trade-in Sig 226 in caliber of choice for under $600. Seen them at pawn shops for $450.

Would you guys recommend the Sig P228? For range plinking.

go to gunbroker, i got my kimber for 700, and i recommend a beretta 92, good gun imo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you guys recommend the Sig P228? For range plinking. </div></div>

Yes, and more!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can beat this, go right ahead. </div></div>

i love to have a 1911, but ammo cost is an issue. thats why im looking at the p228.

The P228 is a great piece. I might get laughed at here ( very possibly ) but I just bought a American Classic 1911 and I think it ran me like 450 after taxes. Bought it just as a range gun to see how it can compare to the higher price models.

Another rig to look at is the Springfield XD. You can't go wrong with a springfield.

Salut,

To me by far the best value for money as a sport gun goes to the CZ SP01 Shadow. Heavy & confortable to shoot (I have small hands), very accurate, works flawless, high cap mags etc ... it does have a rail (that I never used).

As an al-rounder/service pistol, my choice goes to the P226.

In Europe both can be found secon-hand in very good condition for your friend's budget.

Glock or M&P, I'd stay away from a gun where hes gonna have to learn 2 different trigger pulls.

Well, my 2¢.

Used Glock 17's for under $400 with three mags.
1,000 9mm FMJ ammo $200+/-

My 2¢

+1 for a FNP. I had a FNP-45, and it was a great gun, I got it brand new off GunBroker for $425 with the case and three mags. I had to sell it recently to finance another project, but I'll be buying another one someday (probably the tactical because I'm an idiot).

If you're willing to dredge the classifieds and GB, you can get them for a good price (well under $600). They have all the features you could want, 14 or 15 rounds of 45 cant be beat, and they're good shooters. I really liked how the gun fit my hand, and if your buddy likes your HK he'll like the FNP. I think it felt a lot like my Mark 23, just not so front heavy. My only complaint was the trigger, it was good, but plastic and flexy.

I suggest going to a shop and holding a Glock, XDM, and M&P to see which one feels right. That's what I did and walked with a M&P. Close to 10,000 through her and she keeps asking for more. Very dependable and accurate AND made in the USA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can beat this, go right ahead. </div></div>

i love to have a 1911, but ammo cost is an issue. thats why im looking at the p228. </div></div>

Ammo cost is always an issue.

If you want a 1911, get one. If it has to be a 9mm, get a 9mm 1911.

There are no new Sig P228s and there haven't been for a LONG time. If you're looking at a used gun for $600, almost anything is in your price range.

If I were the OP, I'd get an M&P.

That said, I love single action over all else, and that's what I shoot the most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I use to despise Glocks and then I bought one. They are simple, reliable, <span style="color: #CC0000">and accurate</span>. Very tough to beat. </div></div>

I've not yet been embarrased at the range by the group size of someone shooting a stock Glock. Its okay for practical accuracy but nothing to write home about. On the other hand it happens more than I'd like to admit that some guy is out there embarrasing me with an HK, Sig, or Beretta chewing the center out of a target at 75ft.

One guy had a sweet custom barrel and sights, modified slide on his G19 (I think) and he was shooting very well with it, but hey you can make a 1911 shoot if you do all that to it
grin.gif
</div></div>

I've shot 2" groups at 25y (standing, freestyle) with a stock G19 (which has over 20k rounds through it). I'm not sure what else you can ask for from a $500 service pistol...?

It's all in how you drive the pistol.

I always think it's funny when people talk about accuracy in pistols. I doubt all but the highest level competitive pistol shooters are getting anything close to the accuracy potential of their pistols.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the glock when it comes to accuracy.

Also, it has one of the most consistent trigger pulls out there only thing that surpasses is the 1911. (Also achievable with a special trigger upgrade for the M&P)

Low bore height makes recoil control and split times faster. (something that the witness, 1911, and M&P have as well.)

I could never stand the USP when it came to firing it. Boy it sure looked cool. And dang it sure felt nice in my hand. But shit was that trigger LOOOOONG. And the reset link was all over the place. and boy was the slide TAAAAALLLLLL!

I've noticed something over the years. New shooters tend to love the HK's and Sigs. Then they suck bad with them. I see a lot of reacquiring of their grip after ever shot. The best shooters I've known and seen shoot 1911's, Glocks, and now M&P's with a few Witnesses intermingled.

Oh and I've seen one dude shoot a walther P99 very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.summitgunbroker.com
Mark will fix him up. </div></div>

Agreed! Then buy a good pair of steel sights (Fiber Optic if you are over fifty), Stippled by Cory Nash, and a KKM barrel. Should be right at $600, and will shoot better than almost anything else.

+1 on the XDm. iam committed to glocks because of all the holsters and mags, but if I could do it all over again I would..

I personally like the Ruger SR9. its a great bang for the buck and I have around 700 completely trouble free rounds through mine. There is also starting to be a little after-market support for it too if thats your thing.

I haven't read through all the posts, so my post may be a duplicate of what someone else said, but to get a SIG or HK under $600, he will almost have to go used. IMO, there isn't anything wrong with buying a good used pistol. Check with www.summitgunbroker.com Mark is great to work with and will more than likely have something that will fit the bill for him. Good luck.

I love my XD 45. If he doesn't care for the Glock (I hated the grip angle) it's going to be hard to beat the Springfield. Friend just got a CZ 75 and it is a great pistol after a trigger job. May be a bit out of the price range, but if he is a good negotiator he may be able to get the CZ in the neighborhood of where he wants to be.