• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s pit cooking full deer

hiddenmongoose

crazysection
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Ireland
Anyone here ever do a pit oven to cook a deer or hog,Im thinking of trying it for the laugh with a full deer and have some friends over.Iv cooked small pieces of meat like a chicken in a pit oven on sere training but never a large animal.be nice see some pics/advice

Cooking whole deer like that is tough, because it has a tendency to dry out bad. If you are hell bent on trying it, I would stuff the deer with sausages, onions, etc, to keep the juices flowing. and also wrap the entire thing in tin foil.

Ya my plan was to rub it well in a marinade then wrap it in tinfoil then use chicken wire fencing wrapped around that to stop tinfoil from coming off then wrap that in damp hessian cloth and place that into the pit ontop of the hot coals and then backfill the soil.Just not sure how many hours I need leave it.Im guessing 10 would be good

We've done dozens of them in Alabama as part of our give back to the landowners a couple times a year.

It's basically done the same way we do a whole hog, except we quarter the deer, soak them 24 hours in salt water, and baste very frequently. Start cooking about six or eight am, be ready to eat by 1800. Place the quarters on a table, shred like tender pork, serve in trays, with lots of spicy sauce on the side. The pit is covered, and the as the meat sweats the absorbed water out, it does stay pretty moist, no tin foil needed.

If cooking a whole deer baste it every few minutes with a mixture of oil and orange juice. Be careful not to over cook and use a little lower heat than you would for pork. bacon strips stuffed in small cuts throughout the hams and shoulders wont hurt either. Pull the ribs out early or they will get too done.

I wont be able bast this as once its in the pit its covered over in 18 inchs of soil and stays under til its done.I like the idea of the bacon strips(40xs) and I think il do as you say mikeebooshay and soak it for 24 hours too.

I've cooked hog and goat whole. Apples, pineapple and onions in the cavity. Wrapped in foil then wet burlap then chicken wire.
I have never put soil directly on the animal. I just covered the pit with tin roofing and not covered the animal with soil. About 8 hours was too much with the goat (150 lbs) I have seen Banana plant leaves or palm fronds used as a layer between the carcass (hog) and soil, and that seamed to work well.

Good luck. Post pics!

I've cooked hog and goat whole. Apples, pineapple and onions in the cavity. Wrapped in foil then wet burlap then chicken wire.
I have never put soil directly on the animal. I just covered the pit with tin roofing and not covered the animal with soil. About 8 hours was too much with the goat (150 lbs) I have seen Banana plant leaves or palm fronds used as a layer between the carcass (hog) and soil, and that seamed to work well.

Good luck. Post pics!

Cheers for that , good post.I plan on doing this in oct when one of my friends is home from abroad .Il def post up pics of the process.Im thinking il probably do a trial run before I get everybody round

I love this idea. Never thought of it. How about doing a hind or front quarter of venison? How long for that?

Any ideas on "north woods style"?

In Texas, we have shot a young doe or spike on Friday afternoon, dressed and quartered it, set it to soak over night. We put it on the smoker, not the pit, in the am, while guests are out on the morning hunt. Keep temp under 225 F, ( 100 C ) and it will be great by late afternoon. Less trouble than the pit, and still very tasty!

I 1/4 the deer, boil for 10 minutes, I then inject BBQ, Garlic Butter or what ever I have around, then smoke it and bast it from time to time. This is the best way I have found to keep it from going to jerky fast. Heat low cook slow. This was a few hog shoulders. some bought and the two small ones were wild.

Attachments

• bacon.jpg
    bacon.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 21
I was a little confused by the term "pit cooked". Down heah in da souf we refer to pit cooked as just cooked in a big brick open oven. When it's cooked in a dirt trench we call it " earth roast". Sorry for the confusion.

No pit required just someone to spin him and a few bamboo leaves and coconut stumps! No shovel required! Deer has always dried out too much when I try to smoke them! never tried in the ground buried?

Tag for interest... This sounds like a great idea. I have a big enough BBQ now. Chicken wire and tin foil is my hog method... would work great for a deer. Please keep the recipe ideas coming. Like the orange idea.

I've done whole goats a few times for 'goat grabs...' Always delicious. When I do goats, I fill the cavity with Basmati rice, pre-cooked. Lots of it. Pack it in. Bet the same works with a deer.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:
My Son-in-Law does "pig roasts" as a part time living. After a few years he got tired of having pork that was done right, and overcooked, and undercooked in the end.

These days, he doesn't buy whole pigs anymore; he buys enough (usually six or eight) pork shoulders and does them on his pig roaster, flipping and basting. It's a lot more yield per overall pounds, cheaper, and the product is cooked much closer to perfection on the whole. The entire roast takes 2-3hr to cook, and pretty much does itself except for flipping every 15min. Once the meat has rested off the grill, it is part-shredded (the diner can shred it further if they desire) and served in two versions, with and without sauce. Extra sauce is provided on the side.

He uses a bucket and a regular floor mop for basting. He no longer has the hair burnt off his hands. His favorite sauces are Sweet Baby Ray's, and Dinosaur.

Side dishes are roasted corn ears in foil, salt potatoes, and baked ziti. Beer as required. Sometimes he has my Wife make her German Potato Salad, and I occasionally provide my homemade sour garlic dill pickles.

To speed-shuck corn, cut about 3/4" extra off the butt end of the cobb; this allows you to simply shake the husks off. BTW, soaking those husks in water can allow them to double for the seaweed for a clam/lobster bake. I then soak the ears in sugar & salt water for an hour or two. Finally smear it with soft butter, apply salt from a shaker, then wrap in foil and lay the foiled ears on the hot grill. Experience will tell you how long for browned or not browned kernels.

His roaster is made from an oil burner/furnace fuel tank, split in half along the length with draft doors at each end, angle iron legs, and steel mesh grills on top. Obviously, you get two roasters out of a fuel tank. Split it wide for roasting chickens, the deep way for doing hogs, shoulders, etc.

He served roasted chicken and pork for 65 people this Summer at our Granddaughter's HS Grad tent picnic/party.

Piece of advice; if you don't know what you're doing, ask around for someone who does to come over and do the first one for you at your place. Then watch how they do it. They'll be glad for the business, and you'll be glad for the show-n-tell.

Greg

Last edited:
Some co-workers did oven/crock pot kalua pig and since the deer is so lean came out real tough and dry...not certain if the imu may help more as there may be more steam, etc. but usually like deer sliced and hot and fast.

Greg:

Seems like the closest cousin would be cooking a goat? Which takes long, slow, moist cooking to make it anything but tough and chewy. Are my instincts correct here?

The goats I've done I have cooked for 4 - 6 hours over low heat inside tin foil. Filled body cavity with nice, moist basmati rice. Basted the whole thing with vinegar/molasses/red pepper North Carolina-Style vinegar BBQ sauce. Comes out amazing... I would think the same would work with deer, which is a lot like goat (lean, flavorful... but easily over-cooked...)

Thoughts?

Again, great thread!

Cheers,

Sirhr

In Texas, we have shot a young doe or spike on Friday afternoon, dressed and quartered it, set it to soak over night. We put it on the smoker, not the pit, in the am, while guests are out on the morning hunt. Keep temp under 225 F, ( 100 C ) and it will be great by late afternoon. Less trouble than the pit, and still very tasty!

Oh yes........the ol cabrito.......all day long and fall off the bone~!~

Lobo... great point and something I overlooked in describing my process. Brining. 24 - 36 hours in a tank of salt water. I have a brining tank (a rubber feed trough) that I fill with cold water and add salt until it won't dissolve any more. Then put in the carcass for 1 - 1.5 days. Brining is really important...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Lobo... great point and something I overlooked in describing my process. Brining. 24 - 36 hours in a tank of salt water. I have a brining tank (a rubber feed trough) that I fill with cold water and add salt until it won't dissolve any more. Then put in the carcass for 1 - 1.5 days. Brining is really important...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Yes, when I said soaking above - it was in salt water.

Do not make a mistake like we did once - we used several new galvanized wash tubs to soak the venison, in a walk in cooler. Tasted great - but about 6 hours later - there was a wild outbreak of lower intestinal distress in that part of the county. After that experience, use only stainless or plastic tubs to soak the meat in. A large cooler will also work, just nothing that will leach out into the meat.

Yes, when I said soaking above - it was in salt water.

Do not make a mistake like we did once - we used several new galvanized wash tubs to soak the venison, in a walk in cooler. Tasted great - but about 6 hours later - there was a wild outbreak of lower intestinal distress in that part of the county. After that experience, use only stainless or plastic tubs to soak the meat in. A large cooler will also work, just nothing that will leach out into the meat.

If you ever notice a kinda blurred shadow over your shoulder when you just glance at a mirror,,,,,it's Darwin!

Bob

Greg:

Seems like the closest cousin would be cooking a goat? Which takes long, slow, moist cooking to make it anything but tough and chewy. Are my instincts correct here?

The goats I've done I have cooked for 4 - 6 hours over low heat inside tin foil. Filled body cavity with nice, moist basmati rice. Basted the whole thing with vinegar/molasses/red pepper North Carolina-Style vinegar BBQ sauce. Comes out amazing... I would think the same would work with deer, which is a lot like goat (lean, flavorful... but easily over-cooked...)

Thoughts?

Again, great thread!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Goat? What's a goat?

Greg

Goat? What's a goat?

Greg

In America it's an animal that is associated with Heidi, expensive pretentious cheeses that NEVER belong on pizza, milk served only in farmers markets and meat that American occasionally eat -- using both hands. It's how we roll.

In the rest of the world, a goat is a grocery store, transportation device, career opportunity and an adult novelty. They don't have drivers ed. and sex ed. on the same day in Afghanistan because it's too hard on the goats.

But I must admit, prepared right, goat meat is tasty!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... reminds me of an incident here about 8 or so years ago... a couple of folks from our state's refugee Somali population had been to the local farm (with it's state-paid-for, $quarter-million, Halal slaughterhouse) and loaded up their van with freshly killed and butchered goat to take home. Must have had about 20 goats... Somali Group Buy. They were estimated to be going about 80 (in a 50 zone) when they lost control of the van, launched it and flipped it several times. First officer responding found two dazed (but otherwise unhurt Somalis) and 100 yards of fresh, just-butchered meat spread smeared down the highway and thrown every which way. He called in every unit and ambulance within 50 miles before realizing that he wasn't looking at a mass of traffic fatalities... but at dead goat meat. Can't make this stuff up... Ya wake up in the morning and it's the world we live in. He was a long time living that down!

In America it's an animal that is associated with Heidi, expensive pretentious cheeses that NEVER belong on pizza, milk served only in farmers markets and meat that American occasionally eat -- using both hands. It's how we roll.

In the rest of the world, a goat is a grocery store, transportation device, career opportunity and an adult novelty. They don't have drivers ed. and sex ed. on the same day in Afghanistan because it's too hard on the goats.

But I must admit, prepared right, goat meat is tasty!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... reminds me of an incident here about 8 or so years ago... a couple of folks from our state's refugee Somali population had been to the local farm (with it's state-paid-for, $quarter-million, Halal slaughterhouse) and loaded up their van with freshly killed and butchered goat to take home. Must have had about 20 goats... Somali Group Buy. They were estimated to be going about 80 (in a 50 zone) when they lost control of the van, launched it and flipped it several times. First officer responding found two dazed (but otherwise unhurt Somalis) and 100 yards of fresh, just-butchered meat spread smeared down the highway and thrown every which way. He called in every unit and ambulance within 50 miles before realizing that he wasn't looking at a mass of traffic fatalities... but at dead goat meat. Can't make this stuff up... Ya wake up in the morning and it's the world we live in. He was a long time living that down!

Alrighty, then; enjoy them goats...

Greg