• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition pit rotations

goldy1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
henderson, ky
With my match that's going on near me I'm trying to wrap my mind around the pit rotations. I can not seem to get it so that everyone pulls targets for 3 relays. I end up with 1st relay pulling 4 times, 2nd pulling 3, and 3rd pulling 2. How does it usually work, or what am I messing up.

Re: pit rotations

R1Match 1 - Relay 1 shoot, relay 2 score, relay 3 pull

Pit change Relay 1 to pits

R2Match 1 - Relay 2 shoot, Relay 3 score, relay 1 pull
R3Match 1 - Relay 3 shoot, Relay 2 score, Relay 1 pull
R2Match 2 - Relay 2 shoot, Relay 3 score, Relay 1 pull

Pit change Relay 2 to pits

R3match 2 - Relay 3 shoot, Relay 1 score, Relay 2 pull
R1Match 2 - Relay 1 shoot, Relay 3 score, Relay 2 pull
R3Match 3 - Relay 3 shoot, Relay 1 score, Relay 2 pull

Pit change Relay 3 to pits

R1Match 3 - Relay 1 shoot, Relay 2 score, Relay 3 pull
R2Match 3 - Relay 2 shoot, Relay 1 score, Relay 3 pull

End

Thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. I appreciate your help.

relay three is the only one that sets up the targets, gets to the pits twice and tears down the target.
somehow, I am aways in relay three, good exercise.

Bring lots of food, water, and sun screen. Show up at least an hour before the scheduled start time. Be efficient getting your stuff on and off the line. Be sure and have a spotting device besides your rifle scope. Go where they tell you to go.

Every relay has its pluses and minuses.

I divide the relays by who signs up first. the ones who signs up first are on first and the last are relay 3. I just couldnt remember how the relays go. we had just been running 2, but 3 might be easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goldy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I divide the relays by who signs up first. </div></div>

You might want to take note of this information in the rulebook:

11.6.7 Individual Squadding -

(a) Whenever possible, all competitors of the same classification should be squadded on the same relay.

We shoot year-round and seven matches are registered while the remaining five are approved. Registered matches require a minimum of three relays so the shooters do not score themselves and thus national records can be set. In the hot months in south Texas, we run approved matches so as to be able to finish sooner and also not have long periods in the pits when the sun is directly overhead. It gets hot in there.

I actually prefer shooting in three relays so that somebody is scoring for me and I don’t have to break my concentration writing scores down and I can shoot faster if conditions and puller warrant. However squadding three relays can be a veritable pain in the posterior.

We have three shooting disciplines: Highpower with match rifles, F-Open and F-T/R; and two types of targets; regular and F-class. As people sign up, I count the numbers for each discipline and as we get near the end of registration, I figure out how many targets to assign to each discipline. This number depends of course, on the number of shooters and the number of relays.

When it’s three relays, this means whoever is on relay three will put up and take down the targets. We have some older shooters and some with physical challenges so I have to be mindful of that. It’s one thing to put up or take down the targets; it’s another thing to put up AND take down said targets. The last thing I want is a shooter getting heat prostration putting up or taking down a large target frame.

The NRA rules state that similar classifications should be squadded together as much as possible, so using the sign-up sheets, by classification, I try my very best to put the same classification shooters for each discipline on the same relay. I am also mindful to ensure there are veteran shooters in each relay; it is silly to send all new shooters on the same relay, someone has to show them the ropes and make sure things run smoothly for that relay.

Then you have to deal with cases where you are one shooter short on a two-relay match or one/two shooters short on a three-relay match. And then there are people who ask to be on the same relay or opposite each other on the same target. Squadding to accommodate all these issues takes a few minutes and needs to be done properly, in my opinion.

When you have everything set up and the relays are balanced, you get the perennial late arrival who screws up your plans. Fortunately that only happens once a month at the club.