• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pizza Pizza

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    What do you guys eat . What do you guys Luv .
    There's this place called DeLorenzo's in Hamilton NJ that is heaven . Tomatoes Pie . They started out in Chambersburg / Trenton NJ .
    Got another place local to me in Pa. that makes an addictive White Pizza with garlic .
    Gotta say that in all the States I've been too Jersey has the best and in all it's variations .
    Whatta you guys got ?

I got an Ooni pizza oven last year and love it!

It's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it dialed in its the way to go. It's really easy to make your own awesome pizza:

PXL_20220925_014910180.jpg

I’ve got an Ooni Karu 16. I also own a bakery. And make Neopolitan style pizza dough for a local shop……my fave? Hard to say

Can you share any recipes or secrets for making dough?

I love neopolitan style pizza -so speaking my pizza love language there.

Right now I just use this type of '00' flour and follow the recipe, and it's decent, though I'm sure you have a better way of doing it:

210100-front__36569.1691153252.jpg

I’ve got an ooni as well. Definitely a learning curve but great pizzas. Better than take out

Reactions: kthomas
    I’ve got an ooni as well. Definitely a learning curve but great pizzas. Better than take out

If we are being honest, most pizza restaurants are junk.

There's the odd one that can make really good pizza, but they seem to be few and far between. I've found very few places in my vicinity that makes a good pizza. And the one that does, is incredibly inconsistent.

Definitely worth it to make your own pizza, but it's definitely a labor of love.

Formerly "The Flying Tomato" now just "The Tomato" in Denton TX

View attachment 8237017
    Mmmmm, lasagna bread bowls. I love pizza but that much bread and the acidic sauce gives me awful stomach problems. My fave, no matter the crust style is meat lovers. I love meat

we have hit at least 15 of the places he suggested as good pizza and have not been disappointed yet . though it's getting harder to travel further and further just to get pizza . to me it's just like traveling all over to eat BBQ and god bless good BBQ where ever it might be located .

I make my own.

Dough, sauce. The works.

I just use a stone from Ohio Stone Works.
    Oven, grill, or traeger

Dough recipe is from Sugar Spun Run (her biscuits are dang good too, everything I have tried is).

Small mom and pop places get my vote if out.

Zio’s Pizza in Omaha got my business when I was in school there.

Pizza out tasted better back in the 80's. There were a couple of local places that just made the best tasting pizza.

As time moved on, I find fewer and fewer really great pizza places. I will say there is 'ok' pizza where I live, but nothing truly great.

Some of the really good places are no longer consistent and you never know what you will end up with.

My wife started a sour dough starter about 3 years ago, and we keep it going using the dough for various things.

We decided to make a pizza out of it. Fresh dough, good quality mozzarella freshly shredded, home made sauce, the only pic I had handy was for one of the thick crust ones we just cooked in the oven

1695867225093.png

Taste is amazing

We also make them on a stone on the gas grill outside. Those are even more amazing. No fancy pizza oven needed, my grill gets to about 800 turned all the way up, that is all you need ;)

Where's the pineapple?

I have to say, I do enjoy Hawaiian pizza from time to time. Always as an accessory pizza, my primary pizza is always something different than a Hawaiian.

What goes great on a Hawaiian to balance out the sweetness of pineapples is habanero. So good.

The best pizza comes out on NYC. I think its the taste of the fresh off the boat goombah's sweat dripping onto the pie. Once you cross the Hudson everything changes.

Reactions: MJF
    Youtube has lots of very good videos on how real chefs make real pizza dough. It really is not very difficult but is way more than I anticipated of mixing water, flour, yeast and salt.

I found tomato sauce is probably the most important ingredient, the poorer it gets, the closer the pizza comes to a warm sandwich.

Munchies pizza in Huntington Beach Ca.

Yes it really is this loaded with *stuff*.
    Best part is it has chunks of HEAVILY garlic'd chicken and that shit just rocks the house.

MindBlower.jpg

Totino’s Party Pizza

Seriously.

But if I’m going out, there’s a place called Vi’s in northern Minnesota.

House special with jalapeños is amazing.

A few years ago, I met several friends for a match at Volusia County. Before they headed out of town we drove into DeLand for dinner and found a place called Tony's NY Pizza. Never had pizza that good before or since.

I will say this… even the really good local places… the crust has “changed” in the last few years. Since post covid or covid.

Not sure if taste or texture. But not as good. Lacks flavor. Almost as if the flour is just so processed that it is more like cardboard than a bread/wheat product that one should taste. Crust should have a real flavor!

Or I am getting older and my ability to taste good the way I once did is aging… is that a thing?

But pizza crust seems… different. Something to do with wheat varieties in flour? Are pizza companies buying pre-made dough and it’s all industrial and generic? Post covid drop off in flour quality (or price so high that companies are buying lower grades?) Anomaly in my area?

Though I have noticed while traveling, too.

Also, I never get pizza at chain places. Can’t remember last time I had any Big chain pizza. Even when traveling, always find mom and pop. So dough thing not a chain or mega-pizza chain thing. Though do remember Last “chain” pizza I had was probably Donatos 2019 in OH. And it seemed fine. And it’s a small chain.

Well, just wondering if anyone else has noticed.

Sirhr

PS… I expect “generic semi-cardboard reprocessed wood chips” in a Dominos death disk…. And can’t remember my last Pizza Hit visit But expect good crust in a real pizzeria pizza.

Our dough recipe simple. No oil or sugar.

Whatever weight flour you decide to go with (ours are 400# batch flour weights)

62-65% hydration (depending on protein level)

2% salt
    2% fresh cake yeast

I mix, scale, divide and round for my buddy’s shop. Averages 2000+ 14” pies a week

Giordano's is pretty good for a stuffed type pizza. We have a decent place out here called Rance's for similar Chicago style. A buddy took me to a place near Danbury CT that was pretty good. It was a brick type wood fired oven pizza. I went to that famous one in NYC near the Brooklyn Bridge? Waited forever to get a table but it was good pizza.

There is a little chain up in town that is real good.....depending on who is running the show that day. There is a guy there that makes them fantastic, loaded up and perfect. There is a new gal there not so much, I think she is still learning. If she answers the phone we just ask their hours. If he answers, yea I will take three larges with.............

Unironically the best pizza that me and the missus have found in my AO is Papa Johns. Especially if you save some and put it in the fridge for morning. Best cold pizza I've ever had.

For anyone in Denver that is looking for some Chicongo style pizza, Wyman’s No. 5 at 13th & Vine is really good

Reactions: powdahound76
    My car dealer is in Lewisville, but as tempting as that looks, I hate going into Denton because is so blue-haired/liberal...
    Tracking there.
    The original Flying Tomato visit required venturing into the hotbed of the 80's sector of that mindset just off UNT campus. They've all 'grow-ed up' and now sit on the city council doing their best to transmogrify what was once quite pleasant into an Austin wannabe.
    Sights are fixed on Archer City or thereabouts. One blinking red light and too far to bother calling 911.

Di Fara Pizza in Brooklyn remains my all-time favorite. My cousin has a bit of an obsession with pizza. His weekend plans consist of 25 stops over 3 days.

View attachment 8237238

In spring 1988 passing through NYC I had pizza in Famous Ray’s of the Village at about midnight.

Watched skinheads doing lines of coke off one of the tables.

Pizza was mediocre at best.

The ambiance was priceless!!!

Sirhr

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    I will say this… even the really good local places… the crust has “changed” in the last few years. Since post covid or covid.

Not sure if taste or texture. But not as good. Lacks flavor. Almost as if the flour is just so processed that it is more like cardboard than a bread/wheat product that one should taste. Crust should have a real flavor!

Or I am getting older and my ability to taste good the way I once did is aging… is that a thing?

But pizza crust seems… different. Something to do with wheat varieties in flour? Are pizza companies buying pre-made dough and it’s all industrial and generic? Post covid drop off in flour quality (or price so high that companies are buying lower grades?) Anomaly in my area?

Though I have noticed while traveling, too.

Also, I never get pizza at chain places. Can’t remember last time I had any Big chain pizza. Even when traveling, always find mom and pop. So dough thing not a chain or mega-pizza chain thing. Though do remember Last “chain” pizza I had was probably Donatos 2019 in OH. And it seemed fine. And it’s a small chain.

Well, just wondering if anyone else has noticed.

Sirhr

PS… I expect “generic semi-cardboard reprocessed wood chips” in a Dominos death disk…. And can’t remember my last Pizza Hit visit But expect good crust in a real pizzeria pizza.
    It's the yeast.
    Since everyone started making home made bread during the plandemic it's gotten hard to find any decent yeast at all.

We don't have many real pizza joints down here, but the ones that my dad did on his egg were surprising good. I can't remember the crust but it was good and he bought already done we just added the sauce and toppings but it was really good. I'm not a big pizza fan honestly but if it was good pizza that would be different. I like me some meat, not so big on the bread.

Reactions: The D