• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Places to see when traveling though CO,MO,AZ,KS,AL

BMG50CAL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2006
NJ
Well Drive across the US im going though these state whats a few things to do and see. Im tryinhg to plan and see how much time i have but if there a few good things to do ill make some.

Re: Places to see when traveling though CO,MO,AZ,KS,AL

Just do what I do when I drive through states...look and check things out everything is the same. Some places have mountains some don’t; some places have green vegetation some don't. People are all the same they are either nice or there not avoid the ones that are not nice.

It depends what part of the state you're driving through. For example, Alabama can show you beautiful hills and a space center on one end of the state, or nothing but pine trees, flat, and beautiful white sand beaches on the other.

If you get off track to Albequerqe, NM you need to eat at Scarpa's. The brick oven pizza is worth the drive. In AZ there are a few places around the roads, but you really need to find a piece of the original Route 66 and get some pictures of the old stuff just to say you did

Cutting across Colorado, do yourself a favor and get OFF I-70!! Coming across from MO you'll hit Kansas (all 7 hours of it). As you near CO, get off in Oakley KS on 40 and cut across thru Cheyenne Wells to Colorado Springs. From Co Spgs take 24 across to the Arkansas River Valley area (Buena Vista, Salida). Out of Salida go west on 50. Spend some time in Gunnison. From there to Montrose. From Montrose figure out how to get to UT via 149 then 90 in UT - you'll come out just south of Moab.

I-70 across the rockies is a cop-out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cutting across Colorado, do yourself a favor and get OFF I-70!! Coming across from MO you'll hit Kansas (all 7 hours of it). As you near CO, get off in Oakley KS on 40 and cut across thru Cheyenne Wells to Colorado Springs. From Co Spgs take 24 across to the Arkansas River Valley area (Buena Vista, Salida). Out of Salida go west on 50. Spend some time in Gunnison. From there to Montrose. From Montrose figure out how to get to UT via 149 then 90 in UT - you'll come out just south of Moab.

I-70 across the rockies is a cop-out.</div></div>

+1, while a time saver, I-70 does not offer nearly the same beauty and variance in terrain as does the route 9H described.

If scenic is your goal and time is on your side, take the man's advice.

Grand Canyon in Arizona is a great destination. Just be aware it is around 1 hour and 45 minutes north of Flagstaff.

Josh

Kansas City has the best BBQ on the planet.

Take that Texas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SaltyDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kansas City has the best BBQ on the planet</div></div>

...but Kansas City Barbecue is in San Diego???

kansascitybbq2.jpg

Bring your rifle and I'll take you out to our 2000+ yard range. Stay away from 70 unless it's off-rush hour, or that will be the extent of your trip. I grew up in Albuquerque, go hit Sandia crest and take a camera. You could hit the lava tubes in NM or buy some fake turquoise in Santa Fe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bring your rifle and I'll take you out to our 2000+ yard range. Stay away from 70 unless it's off-rush hour, or that will be the extent of your trip. I grew up in Albuquerque, go hit Sandia crest and take a camera. You could hit the lava tubes in NM or buy some fake turquoise in Santa Fe. </div></div>

Where do we have a 2000+ yard range?

Re: Places to see when traveling though CO,MO,AZ,K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EmergencyNrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SaltyDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kansas City has the best BBQ on the planet</div></div>

...but Kansas City Barbecue is in San Diego???

kansascitybbq2.jpg
</div></div>

I'm at a loss for words...

Re: Places to see when traveling though CO,MO,AZ,K

Believe it or not, MO has something called the "Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail". Apparently it's an old dumpsite now deemed safe for the public. Came across it on the web while looking for vacation ideas this summer.

We're known for KC BBQ, the Lake of the Ozarks, and Branson.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bring your rifle and I'll take you out to our 2000+ yard range. Stay away from 70 unless it's off-rush hour, or that will be the extent of your trip. I grew up in Albuquerque, go hit Sandia crest and take a camera. You could hit the lava tubes in NM or buy some fake turquoise in Santa Fe. </div></div>

Where do we have a 2000+ yard range? </div></div>

It's actually quite a bit farther, my guess would be about 2 miles of flat and perfect shooting. PM me I'm in Fort Collins and we'll go out there. I go there at least once a week.

30de3yc.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bring your rifle and I'll take you out to our 2000+ yard range. Stay away from 70 unless it's off-rush hour, or that will be the extent of your trip. I grew up in Albuquerque, go hit Sandia crest and take a camera. You could hit the lava tubes in NM or buy some fake turquoise in Santa Fe. </div></div>

The Pawnee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bring your rifle and I'll take you out to our 2000+ yard range. Stay away from 70 unless it's off-rush hour, or that will be the extent of your trip. I grew up in Albuquerque, go hit Sandia crest and take a camera. You could hit the lava tubes in NM or buy some fake turquoise in Santa Fe. </div></div>

The Pawnee. </div></div>

As long as you don't mind humping steel out 2000+ yds and back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not much to do in AL, but def. check out the space center if possible. </div></div>

Might want to check out DeSoto Caverns, and Beaver Creek National Park , Chehaw State Park.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bring your rifle and I'll take you out to our 2000+ yard range. Stay away from 70 unless it's off-rush hour, or that will be the extent of your trip. I grew up in Albuquerque, go hit Sandia crest and take a camera. You could hit the lava tubes in NM or buy some fake turquoise in Santa Fe. </div></div>

The Pawnee. </div></div>

As long as you don't mind humping steel out 2000+ yds and back. </div></div>

See the road in the background of that pic... I just drive out set-up and drive back. Piece of cake. The only thing that sucks is driving out to sho the cows away, but there are p-dogs to shoot on the way out so that's fun too.

I planned on stopping at the grand cannon in AZ, also good heads up ill stay off 70 in CO. And yes ill be bringing my rifle so im down with stopping at a few ranges but i cant fit any steel targets in my ride.

And if you have time to drive over there, White Sands, NM

msbo11.jpg

104rjo6.jpg

Just a few places I stopped by and camped at when I drove cross country.

Ouray, CO
8135_136519148727_794968727_2451966_4509683_n.jpg

Moab, UT
8135_140750908727_794968727_2491775_3378523_n.jpg

Drive to Escalante, UT
Capitol Reef National Park
8135_140756878727_794968727_2491846_972448_n.jpg

Grand Staircase/Escalante, UT
Hiking through a slot canyon
8135_141032743727_794968727_2493259_651185_n.jpg

NORTH RIM (Tuweep) of the Grand Canyon (hope you have a rugged vehicle)
This was our view from our camp site.
8135_140763953727_794968727_2491968_6956526_n.jpg

This is by far the best trip I ever did, it took us a total of 3 weeks to do it.

Everytime I look at these pics it reminds me of how much I hate New Jersey.

If you come through St. Louis you have to see the Arch. I am not talking about driving by and going WOW theres the Arch. Even though it is not a pretty as the stuff shown so far in the post. I live here and it still amazes me every time I walk up to it. But if you are afraid of tight spaces do not go to the top. The tram is really cramped. Oh and as far as the Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail it is the biggest damn pile of rocks I have ever seen. But that is about it. It is actually kind of scary that it takes that much rock to cover something up we used to drive by all the time on our way to my Grandpa's house.

MOWELnukesite_dhaese.jpg

If you're into motorcycles or sports car racing, The Barber Motorsports Park is right outside Birmingham, in Leeds, AL. http://barbermotorsports.com/. The museum houses the largest privately owned motorcycle collection in the world. George Barber also has an extensive car collection (predominately Lotus) and there are normally at least several on display.

Wave when you pass the 213 on I-70...I will probably still be working on my &%$# tractor!!!

You can always stop in Tuscaloosa and marvel at the greatest college football school ever. Roll tide. Seriously though the grand canyon is awesome and if you go up to Utah there are a ton of national parks that are beautiful. Zion and Arches being my favorite but canyonlands is nice to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can always stop in Tuscaloosa and marvel at the greatest college football school ever. Roll tide. Seriously though the grand canyon is awesome and if you go up to Utah there are a ton of national parks that are beautiful. Zion and Arches being my favorite but canyonlands is nice to. </div></div>
Yeah, the stadium/college is beautiful, just check ahead for game days. If you would be traveling through on a game weekend, forget it!! I'll email pics if you're that interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can always stop in Tuscaloosa and marvel at the greatest college football school ever. Roll tide.</div></div>

He didn't say he was going through Lincoln, Nebraska. Go Big Red!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I planned on stopping at the grand cannon in AZ, also good heads up ill stay off 70 in CO. And yes ill be bringing my rifle so im down with stopping at a few ranges but i cant fit any steel targets in my ride. </div></div>

If you follow the route I gave you, south of Buena Vista and just North of Salida there is a fantastic FREE DOW range with steel out to 1040 yards - about 60 pieces of it.

Exactly 11.1 miles south of the stoplight tee where 24/285 becomes just 285, you'll see a sign for the Chaffee Country Recycling Center (aka the dump). about 150 yards off the pavement you'll find the rifle range.

Who knows - maybe one of us can come meet ya. A friend and 'hider lives just up the road from there and can often get out during the day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I planned on stopping at the grand cannon in AZ, also good heads up ill stay off 70 in CO. And yes ill be bringing my rifle so im down with stopping at a few ranges but i cant fit any steel targets in my ride. </div></div>

If you follow the route I gave you, south of Buena Vista and just North of Salida there is a fantastic FREE DOW range with steel out to 1040 yards - about 60 pieces of it.

About 14 miles south of the stoplight tee where 24/285 becomes just 285, you'll see a sign for the Chaffee Country Recycling Center (aka the dump). about 150 yards off the pavement you'll find the rifle range.

Who knows - maybe one of us can come meet ya. A friend and 'hider lives just up the road from there and can often get out during the day. </div></div>

Sweet so the steel is always up? whats are the hours open to close ? So if i look up the address for the caffee contry dump, i should be able to gps it to get there ? I know my old range and nothing around it every came up on a gps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian W</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wave when you pass the 213 on I-70...I will probably still be working on my &%$# tractor!!! </div></div>

For sure if you offer a cold drink ill stop by and maybe help if it doesnt take away my range time to much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I planned on stopping at the grand cannon in AZ, also good heads up ill stay off 70 in CO. And yes ill be bringing my rifle so im down with stopping at a few ranges but i cant fit any steel targets in my ride. </div></div>

About 14 miles south of the stoplight tee where 24/285 becomes just 285, you'll see a sign for the Chaffee Country Recycling Center (aka the dump). about 150 yards off the pavement you'll find the rifle range.

Who knows - maybe one of us can come meet ya. A friend and 'hider lives just up the road from there and can often get out during the day. </div></div>

Sweet so the steel is always up? whats are the hours open to close ? So if i look up the address for the caffee contry dump, i should be able to gps it to get there ? I know my old range and nothing around it every came up on a gps.</div></div>

Steel is up 24/7, 365 days a year.

http://www.coloradoheadwaters.com/Colorado-Hunting/Buena-Vista-Salida-Hunting-act9.html

As far as GPS- put in Chaffee County, CO Landfill. If it gives you a landfill on 285, well, thats the one.

Go there to get in the ballpark and then follow signs/gunshots off of 285. The range isn't far back but it can be tricky if you aren't familiar with the area.

happy shootin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">11.1 miles south of the stoplight on the left with signs - YA CAN'T MISS IT.</div></div>

If there is a woman in the car blabbing about God knows what for the 18th time in 2 hours, it's possible.
laugh.gif

pretty sure Kansas has the worlds largest ear wax ball, and if ever drivin through KC you hafta make a stop By GA Precision, it's kinda like a religous experience, Our Mecca if you will!

I was planning a stop at GAP. Im hoping their open around the time ill be passing by

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Spend some time in Gunnison. From there to Montrose. </div></div>

Gorgeous country out that way!
Stop by the Black Canyon if you have the time.