• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Places to visit whilst staying in Chicago

vman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Australia
www.google.com
Hi Guys,

Going on my first o/s trip soon, fortunate enough to be visiting Illinois. Im looking forward to it and hopefully its an eye opener.

Wondering if any local people could chime in and give a brother a few hints on places to check out whilst staying in the windy city.

Im also keen to check out any indoor ranges, hunting stores etc within the chicago area if any, to see whats on offer that I cant get in Australia.

If you know of any such locations I would appreciate your help
laugh.gif

vman

Re: Places to visit whilst staying in Chicago

Gun related shopping in Chicago?

That's a rather futile task for anything ammo or gun related. Accessories, perhaps.

chicago is the worst or one of the worst places from what i hear. but if you can make it to a neighboring state... also while your there, look into the Shedd aquarium, the museun of science and industry. and do they still have a navy pier? there is plenty to do there

After you get off the plane in F/U/A, take a heading southeast to free America. Your first encounter will be in Indiana, then ask for directions to Alabama,... everything from Indiana to Bama is also F/A, enjoy. To bad your not coming in Oct, you could really get a grip on/about places an things to do in free America.

http://www.machinegunshoot.com/

Ahhhhhhh damnit sounds like i may need to make a return trip some other time!

One thing im keen on checking out is clothing and shooting jackets. Here in australia we have only two major brands, stoney creek and ridgeline, both Kiwi stuff.

They fetch a high price tag.

Maybe the states has something else to offer

Chicago, as stated, no guns shops. There is an Orvis store that has very limited hunting clothing, but a nice fly fishing shop. Cigars are expensive because of the local taxes, but you can find a really good Martini and great food. Try Frontera Grill. Little pricey but great food.
As noted. The land of the free is SE about 30 miles. You will be welcome in Indiana. The only thing you cannot have in Indiana is a short barreled shotgun or an automatic knife. We are working to get that corrected.

You are joking, yes????

Anywhere but Detroit and Chicago.... yes it's the USA, but hardly the part that is free.

Even upstate New York is bettah!

Should you find yourself in Texas or Louisiana, please let me know, it's bit different round here!

If it's shooting jackets you're interested in, I suggest contacting a local NRA chapter in Chicago, explaining your trip and what you are interested in purchasing. They will know where to get such things for a good price.

Is there an Aussie equivalent of the NRA? Be a good sister city sorta situation.

Go visit the Chicago Museum of Natural History. They have the displays of the Maneaters of Tsavo, the two lions that mauled dozens of people in Kenya. The movie "The Ghost and The Darkness" is based on this event.

Have fun mate, and avoid the ugly women of Colorado!!

vman,

Chicago is definitely NOT a gun friendly city.
However it is one of the most beautiful major cities in the USA.
All along the lakefront there are tons of parks and exhibits. One thing the city is known for is it's attractions and very proud and tourist friendly citizens.
Navy Pier is a good spot. The museum's of Science and Industry and Natural History are amongst the top in the world. Shedd Aquarium is a good spot and right next to the Natural History museum.
Both the Sears and Hancock tower tours are great if you don't mind heights.
Bring your appetite. The city is known for it's fine dining and a great variety of Pizza parlors, local cuisine and of course, Pubs!!

One other thing about Chicago. It is the only major city in the USA (maybe the world) that has no industry along it's miles of Lakefront.
It has all been preserved for its citizens and tourism.
Let us know if you see the "Bean". No further explanations, it's a Chicago thing.

Travel safe.

Don't be discouraged by the comments of those above. Most have never been there and are commenting on the basis of generalizations about the Chicago area.

It's like the guy from Miami trying to convince everyone that he's not Cuban.

There are plenty of gun shops, shooting ranges, and sporting goods stores in and around Chicago.

Links provided above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's like the guy from Miami trying to convince everyone that he's not Cuban.</div></div>

Konyo mang, Porque se dice esto?

Go to the museum of science and industry, see the German U boat from WWII, eat some Chitown pizza, maybe see the boys of summer play a baseball game, there is plenty do ungun related

Bass Pro Shops has one of their few retail stores, Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World...and it's a huge one complete with an indoor pistol range, about 45 miles North of downtown Chicago proper. It's off I94 (Tri-State Tollway) in the Gurnee Mills Mall area. If you have wheels all is not lost ... they have hunting gear as well as fishing.

http://www.basspro.com/homepage.html

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=Bass+P...=6112+Grand+Ave

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Chicago&...484163#initPgSt

And as far as food in Big Windy goes... Uno Pizza, hot Italian beef sandwiches and don't forget to try a real Chicago Dog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DanW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrigley field for an afternoon game. </div></div>

+1 This better be on the agenda somewhere before you leave. Wrigley Field for a beer and dog, sit back and enjoy!

Kelly

Hahahahaha thanks for all of the excellent responses guys! I will take this all on board and intend to eat a shit load of food and see the wonderful sights!

Cant wait should be a ball
smile.gif

Seriously guys thanks for the advice, itd be a waste not to take any advice from locals
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hahahahaha thanks for all of the excellent responses guys! I will take this all on board and intend to eat a shit load of food and see the wonderful sights!

Cant wait should be a ball
smile.gif

Seriously guys thanks for the advice, itd be a waste not to take any advice from locals
smile.gif
</div></div>

vman,

I lived there for several years and (during the summer) it's one of the best places in the USA to visit.
Take in a Cubs game at Wrigley field and go bar hopping across the street and further down the road on Rush and Division streets.
You will not be disappointed.

Cheers Mate, travel well.

plenty of places just don't bring any weapons lol

Go to Molly's Cupcakes and get the "Ron Bennington has his own cupcake" cupcake. You won't be let down.

The architectural boat tour is a good way to see the varied architecture of the city from a very different perspective.

Weber grill restaurant has a great burger.

Go to the Billy Goat Tavern and have beer and a chee burger, chee burger (where the famous Saturday night live skit was fashioned from).

There are so many bars and restaurants on Rush, Division, State streets, its not funny. The Lodge" on Division near State is a classic. Tiny, crowded, just for drinking, but fun, if you're into the party scene.

Pizzeria UNO. Best deep dish Chicago style pizza around. The Parthenon used to be great Greek food.