• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

plans for the Savage... Thoughts?

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
I am looking to replace the stock on my Savage model 10. After speaking with Jeff at CDI my plans are to get a B&C medalist and have him inlet it to take his bottom metal so I can use AICS mags. I have handloading equip coming next week. 150 pcs winchester brass, hornady Amax and SMK bullets, varget powder, and CCI primers. Right now as it sits it is a plain ole 10FP with a TRS-1 4x16 on a EGW 20moa base. This was my first precision rifle and my goal is to be able to shoot some comps up at Thunder Valley in central Ohio next year. By then she will be wearing a Nightforce, so my optic problem will be solved as well. That's another topic I have been researching also. Originally I was looking into a Vortex PST or a Mark 4. But after a lot of reading on here I figure its better to save 300 to 400 more and go with Nightforce. during the cold months this year I plan to take advantage of the online training here on the forum.
So I guess what I'm looking for is thoughts on my plans, and what worked for you guys when you realized you were hooked on this. I don't want to buy something I regret later! This website has been a great resource and thanks to all who have helped me! Thoughts and concerns are welcomed! Thanks.

Re: plans for the Savage... Thoughts?

Always had good luck with the nightforce. I think you will be fine there. As to the rest of the rifle I think you are on track. My savage sits in an HS precision and it shoots very well with good handloads. I think you will be happy with yours, and I think it should perform quite well.

Maybe once you use up that barrel, or if you are impatient lol, that might be the thing to look at next on the rifle. Maybe an action job while its under the knife?

Might as well have the stock bedded to the action and have a aftermarket recoil lug installed.

look to jim at northland for a barrel if your going to do a recoil lug, you will have it apart at that point. you can do all of this yourself too, i did, and there is a how to with pictures posted on here. i had my action timed and tuned at SSS. it should be back tuesday in the mail, ill let you (and anyone else who cares) how it feels when UPS gets it here. Jim has shillen selet match and mcgowen in stock. ive heard walther-lothar has drop in savage barrels too.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?board=64.0

First thing you have to make sure you swing by the house and pick me up on the way to thunder valley. Also you can get these hand loads I'm waiting on you to get. You do need to let me know which powder you want loaded in these. I reciently picked up some reloader 15 as well so it's up to you between 3031, reloader 15 and BL-C2. I'm kinda interested to see what your rifle will do with these compaired to the hunting rounds you were shooting.

I need a new barrel for next year and a custom barrel is something you may want to think about. I'm still leaning towards the 26" walter and cut it down to 20". I'll let you know what difference I see when I get it done.

Good luck,
Merritt

I will definitely replace the recoil lug, and send my action of to SSS to be worked on. As far as the barrel goes I thing I am going to wait until I get some handloads made up before I determine if I want to replace it. So far it has proven to be a good one. I have shot 1 in groups with 180 gr SPs and 147 FMJs. Never could bring myself to buy any match ammo yet because for the price you can get reloading components. I should be up a loading my own within two weeks. By the way if anyone has a good link or some advice for the first time handloader, pm me please. Thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First thing you have to make sure you swing by the house and pick me up on the way to thunder valley. Also you can get these hand loads I'm waiting on you to get. You do need to let me know which powder you want loaded in these. I reciently picked up some reloader 15 as well so it's up to you between 3031, reloader 15 and BL-C2. I'm kinda interested to see what your rifle will do with these compaired to the hunting rounds you were shooting.

I need a new barrel for next year and a custom barrel is something you may want to think about. I'm still leaning towards the 26" walter and cut it down to 20". I'll let you know what difference I see when I get it done.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

For sure you will be going to thunder valley with me. And I do need to figure out a weekend to get up to your farm. Work has been crazy, and my wife and I are expecting number 3 in Sept. So between that and planning this AR build that will be done by the end of the year. The savage has been collecting dust lately. We need to get together and load some to. I will send you some pics when I get the press mounted out in the man cave here soon. Should be a nice setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First thing you have to make sure you swing by the house and pick me up on the way to thunder valley. Also you can get these hand loads I'm waiting on you to get. You do need to let me know which powder you want loaded in these. I reciently picked up some reloader 15 as well so it's up to you between 3031, reloader 15 and BL-C2. I'm kinda interested to see what your rifle will do with these compaired to the hunting rounds you were shooting.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

For sure you will be going to thunder valley with me. And I do need to figure out a weekend to get up to your farm. Work has been crazy, and my wife and I are expecting number 3 in Sept. So between that and planning this AR build that will be done by the end of the year. The savage has been collecting dust lately. We need to get together and load some to. I will send you some pics when I get the press mounted out in the man cave here soon. Should be a nice setup. </div></div>

Yeah mine has been collecting dust as I've been doing body work on the jeep and the money is all getting sucked up by other things lately. I want to shoot today but I have to bale hay for my father today. Good luck on number 3 I have a feeling you'll need it
wink.gif

Good luck,
Merritt

Yep you are on the right track, after you get good at hand loading and use to shooting your rifle then I would replace the barrel and recoil lug. An aftermarket trigger would be something to replace up front if you want the most out of your rifle.

I don't miss bailing hay at all. Used to do it every summer. After football practice. I do miss that however. Getting old sucks! My money used to be my money. And forget two a days then off to bale hay, hell it hurts my back to bend over and pick up a pigskin now. Lol. I will be passing through your neck of the woods in Sept, Ohio State plays the U at home this year. Let me know if your interested I got a few connections for tickets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep you are on the right track, after you get good at hand loading and use to shooting your rifle then I would replace the barrel and recoil lug. An aftermarket trigger would be something to replace up front if you want the most out of your rifle. </div></div>

Its a accu-trigger model. Are some of the aftermarket options better than that? I have never shot with any. I have found the accu-trigger to be relatively easy to work with and love shooting with it adjusted down all the way. Several guys at the range I go to like theirs and swear by them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep you are on the right track, after you get good at hand loading and use to shooting your rifle then I would replace the barrel and recoil lug. An aftermarket trigger would be something to replace up front if you want the most out of your rifle. </div></div>

Its a accu-trigger model. Are some of the aftermarket options better than that? I have never shot with any. I have found the accu-trigger to be relatively easy to work with and love shooting with it adjusted down all the way. Several guys at the range I go to like theirs and swear by them. </div></div>

I owned an accutrigger model and now own a non accutrigger model with the rifle basix and the accutrigger is every bit as good as the rifle basix in terms of feel but the rifle basix is more adjustable. YMMV

Yep the rifle basix is better, and the Sharp Shooter Supply triggers are even better. The Accu is great for a hunting rifle and what not, but if you want the best out of your rifle you will need to upgrade.

Sounds like you are on the right path. I started with a Savage Mod 10FP and I still have that rifle. It's been heavily modified and is now chambered in .260Rem but it's a great gun to start with. The NF scope is a good decision. I would recomend getting a Mil/Mil config if you can and an F1 if you can afford it.

I would not mess with the recoil lug unless you are going to change the barrel. There really is no need. Fred can true up the action and I would certainly have him bed the stock. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Get a good hand load worked up, I'll bet your Savage will shoot just fine.

Spend as much time at the range as you can and dry fire! A lot!

Good luck,

I bought the same stock, sent it to Jeff and he turned it around in a couple of days. I really like his bottom metal and the work he did.

Brett I'm going to have this guy up here in Urbana do mine. He was an army sniper smith and I trust him to do a good job. I'll let you know how mine turns out after I get my new barrel and recoil lug installed and bedded.

Thanks,
Merritt