• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Plate carrier for Afghanistan

secondstoryguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2008
Austin, TX
Hello all. My brother is leaving in a few weeks for a fairly dicy area in Afghanistan. He just got gear issued and plate carrier they gave him leaves a lot to be desired. He's got permission to get something aftermarket and I'm gonna get him something better. I've used an LBT 6098 slick rig but he needs something that will hold 7-10 mags and my loadout was usually just 4 or so. He will be working in and out of vehicles(MRAPs). Any ideas(preferably from those who've been there)?

Re: Plate carrier for Afghanistan

I have used the LBT6094 and the MSA Paraclete SOHPC. Both are excellent. Be sure to find out if he is using side plates and make sure the carrier accepts them if he has them. My SOHPC has side soft armor as well. If it is only a few weeks your biggest hurdle may be what you can find that is in stock and ready for delivery.

london bridge makes the best stuff out there.

i'm a huge fan of TAG (tactical assault gear). If you can't find what you are looking for in their lineup, you can call them and they will custom make whatever you want. Great customer service and a lifetime warranty. My brother is currently using their stuff over there (a custom rig he had them build) and he has nothing but praise for it. He is in a security detail and is in and out of vehicles all the time. good luck.

Chris is a good dude (Founder of TAG), they are right down the road. Tag is also good, can't go wrong with either.

Have ot used the ones above except issue turd but I have used and like the Tactical Tailor Releaseable carrier. Good gear and great price

I bought an LBT-6094M for everyday use. Being a contractor and traveling alot I wasn't restricted by management.

I went to LBTs factory in VA Beach, met with a couple super guys there and they hooked me up. I opted for a full soft-armor set from them that included panels for the sides. The vest accomidates my large ESAPI plates without any problem and offers plenty of adjustment. In the winter & cooler weather I adjusted it out to wear over my jacket and just snugged it back up for summer.

As mentioned above in another post, side plates may be a consideration or issue especially if required by the unit. I only have the soft armor in the sides and don't worry about the plates but be aware that not all issue side plates fit. To be sure exactly does fit call LBT and ask.

If I hadn't gone with the LBT my second and third choices were TAG and Paraclete. Even with a discount I have a fair amount into it but peace of mind is priceless especially when the wife worries.

Travelong w/pack.
heratsite11.jpg

New waiting to go back with me from vacation:
lbt6094m5.jpg

lbt6094m3.jpg

lbt6094m2.jpg

Somehow...I ended up with a HSGI plate carrier. Which left me questioning "Why do some plate carriers load up from the bottom when velcro has a good chance at wearing out so quickly?"

That's a mute issue really. Paraclete, LBT, Eagle Ind.(US made only), TAG. Basically anything US made is good to go in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Somehow...I ended up with a HSGI plate carrier. Which left me questioning "Why do some plate carriers load up from the bottom when velcro has a good chance at wearing out so quickly?"

That's a mute issue really. Paraclete, LBT, Eagle Ind.(US made only), TAG. Basically anything US made is good to go in my book. </div></div>

I wondered too about the velcro and bottom loading the plates at first but in reality how often are we taking our plates in & out and besides the velcro/amount of it that LBT uses is fucking awesome. I recently swapped out my plates for a new lighter set and all I can say is that their stuff is strong!

And yes like you mentioned. Everything is 100% USA. All materials are US produced and it's all stitched together in-house in Virginia Beach. We went on a tour of the place and it was impressive.

The reason for bottom loading has to do with the shape of modern plates more than anything else.

Check out SoTech. I use one of their PC for over a uear and a half in Iraq as a Security Contractor and it worked like a beauty.
they make no bullshit gear for real world work not square range make believe.

What I likes about my vest was that the M4 pouches are built into the vest so you still have the whole outside of it for other pouches. Also the vest is a 3 system vest, meaning you can wear the cumberbund on its own, the plate carrier on its own or all together as a single unit.

Here is a pic of it. I'm on the left in the black shirt

Iraq_IMG_1168-1.jpg

R.

I recently picked up a PIG plate carrier from SKD, I don't have plates for it yet as money is tight but it fits comfortably so far and the construction appears top notch. I'm still playing around with pouch placement but I'll try and get some pics posted in the next few days.

You should check out some of Mayflowers Rigs, such the low pro assault carrier. It's pretty light as far as materials go and pretty comfortable at a reasonable price of 250. Mayflower makes their pouches and kit out of 440 Denier Nylon which is pretty light, it does seem a bit noticeable if you run a lot of heaver weight pouches.

Thanks to all for your input. We went with LBT. I told him if it doesn't work well get him something else.

Sorry for the delay in posting pics, I realize the OP has already made his decision, might help others though. I went for not a ton of mags as I'm a FO and have a ton of radio and other electronic gear to carry as well, most of which will be on my back in a pack. I plan on putting a dump pouch, holster, two pistol mag pouches, IFAK and a good knife on an infidel battle belt.

DSC_0007_016.jpg

DSC_0010_019.jpg

DSC_0008_017.jpg