• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plate Carrier vs Vest

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    So, never thought I’d need it in small town America but given the fact that I’ve now had violent protests 2 miles from my house I am looking into some type of body armor.

Would like to get some thoughts on plate carrier vs a IIIa vest for these types of civil unrest incidents. I have no plans to run around like Rambo so my first inclination is to give up rifle protection in favor of a vest because I may use it more often but would like to hear others perspectives.

Your experiences with both would be appreciated as I have zero experience with either.

So, never thought I’d need it in small town America but given the fact that I’ve now had violent protests 2 miles from my house I am looking into some type of body armor.

Would like to get some thoughts on plate carrier vs a IIIa vest for these types of civil unrest incidents. I have no plans to run around like Rambo so my first inclination is to give up rifle protection in favor of a vest because I may use it more often but would like to hear others perspectives.

Your experiences with both would be appreciated as I have zero experience with either.
    My preference is plates in a plate carrier. Keep it and a carbine in your vehicle when you travel and keep it close when at home. If you get caught up in some bs on your daily commute better to have plates with extra mags on your carrier, it will afford you better protection against handguns and will also stand up to some rifle calibers. Plates can be heavy but it will give you another reason to take physical fitness seriously.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
    Soft vests are for daily wear. If you don't wear a vest all the time, you only want one for times when there is a perceived high threat. If you are going to put it on when you think you really need it, is the threat handgun only? If yes a soft vest will still do the job. If rifles are in play, you want plates. Poly plates are fairly light, but do not protect against AP rounds. Ceramic plates are heavy and expensive, but can protect against AP rounds. Steel is heavy, but cheap and protects against AP in the right level. It also presents a spalling problem.

My 'grab and go' setup is Level IV poly plates, multi curve. Reasonable price, good protection, not stupid heavy, but thicker and bulkier that anything else. They don't store well in high heat, so don't leave them in the trunk when it's 100F and sunny.

Next choice is multi hit ceramic, more fragile but forgiving of storage conditions. Need regular X-rays to check for cracks. Good ones are heavy and EXPENSIVE.

I would personally never use steel.

Yeah, steel is out for sure. I was thinking ceramic or poly for plates. Fitness isn’t a problem.

I think I only have 2 hang ups on plates:

1. they are not discrete so that means I’m only going to put them on when it’s BAD; unlike a vest which would probably see more use. (For example I run security at our church so I would wear a soft vest when I can do it discretely)

2. Unless you go with side plates, etc it seems like a vest is going to offer protection over a larger portion of your body.

Probably like searching for a unicorn but are there any discrete soft vests that also have pockets for plates?

Last edited:
    Yeah, steel is out for sure. I was thinking ceramic or poly for plates. Fitness isn’t a problem.

I think I only have 2 hang ups on plates:

1. they are not discrete so that means I’m only going to put them on when it’s BADunlike a vest which would probably see more use. (For example I run security at our church so I would wear a soft vest when I can do it discretely)

2. Unless you go with side plates, etc it seems like a vest is going to offer protection over a larger portion of your body.

Probably like searching for a unicorn but are there any discrete soft vests that also have pockets for plates?
    I just ordered a soft vest that’s rated for rifle rounds that also has pockets for plates. I wanted as much wrap around protection as I could get. It’s a FRAS from Safe Life Defense. I got the tactical vest, but they make it in a concealed version also. It’s on the expensive side when compared to a regular plate carrier and plates - but I think I’m worth it. I went ahead and ordered some level IV plates and the carry bag for it also. 6-8 weeks before it ships.

Reactions: Rerun7
    The problem with IIIA is that as soon as anyone has any kind of rifle, your armor is worthless. Generally, if my plan involves causing people problems, I almost always have some kind of carbine/rifle. Your armor would do nothing against that at all.

If you're worried about being discreet, yet also worried about riots 5 minutes away, you need to make up your mind. If the riot comes to your neighborhood, who gives a shit if they know you have armor on?

If you're deadset on the IIIA for church and/or they require it to be out of sight, I guess you can do that just for there and have a lvl 3+/lvl4 standalone carrier at home for static defense.

For church, you can get a very low profile carrier and just have plates in it and thats it. Most carriers now are relatively lower profile; hell if I put my SPC on and didn't have a radio pouch at the 10o clock or IFAK towards the rear at 5 oclock, I bet I could put a shirt on thats 1 size too big or simply wear a small zip up sweatshirt and noone would notice a thing.

Sounds like you want a iiia soft concealable vest and a simple plate carrier with level IV ICW (in conjunction with) plates just in case you have time to don it.

There are minimalist carriers that can be used somewhat discreetly, fero, skd pig and spiritus come to mind. I'm sure there are others. Both a soft vest and carrier is not a bad idea, mission specific is a good way to put it.

As for plates, hesco, rma and hoplite have quite a few options with varying thickness and weights. Please, for the love of God, stay away from steel. Please.

Look at armor geared toward executive protection, it hides well under a suit. Plates/rifle within arms reach for when defending the flock.

You can get rifle inserts for a concealable vest, albeit with much less coverage/protection than a Level 3/4 plate in a carrier. If you're thinking about it at all discretion was kinda yesterday.

Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $1k for a quality soft vest and around $3-500 for a carrier and $700+/plate for hard ceramic armor.

Yeah, discretion is not a concern for civil unrest issues. My only point was I may have other times when I’d wear a soft vest and the only times I would wear the plates is when it’s really hit the fan.

based on the feedback I’m leaning towards both so that I can have options depending on the situation. I found a iiia soft vest with some stab protection and also looking at the crye spc with plates.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Here is a pretty good option to go with.
    I don't have one yet, but they come highly rated and I'll probably get one when funds allow:

I'd pick the higher protection level and be done buddy, if it gets that bad you're unlikely to have all this time to switch armor and pick items off the neatly organized wall of the bat cave.

It's gonna be go time, right now.

I vote vest.
    vest.jpg

I think it really comes down to how much you want to spend. $2K would get you a OK setup, but closer to $2.5-3K would get you something very nice.

This is one of the best plates on the market. Great specs, lightweight and Thin. Can be had in SAPI sizes as well for better coverage. About $1200 a piece but well worth it IMO

As M885A1 becomes more prolific, not a bad idea to have a plate that covers that. Soft armor backers and cummerbund not a bad idea either.

Light weight and thin = money. You can get similar protection but it will be heavy and bulky and uncomfortable.

Last edited:
    I think it really comes down to how much you want to spend. $2K would get you a OK setup, but closer to $2.5-3K would get you something very nice.

This is one of the best plates on the market. Great specs, lightweight and Thin. Can be had in SAPI sizes as well for better coverage. About $1200 a piece but well worth it IMO

As M885A1 becomes more prolific, not a bad idea to have a plate that covers that. Soft armor backers and cummerbund not a bad idea either.

Light weight and thin = money. You can get similar protection but it will be heavy and bulky and uncomfortable.
    Yeah but there's one little problem with the VelSyst plates:

Notice: All armor purchases must be accompanied by copies of credentials or by a Purchase Order on agency/command letterhead. Your order will not be shipped until we receive these.

THIS PRODUCT IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO BE SOLD DIRECTLY TO MILITARY, GOVERNMENT AND LAW ENFORCEMENT CUSTOMERS.

If you're a civilian or not an LEO, and I'm guessing the OP falls in that category, you're probably not gonna get any VelSys plates unless you have a buddy willing to make a proxy purchase for you or something like that.

Please, for the love of God, stay away from steel. Please.
    If I may, I’d like to dig into this. Let’s say, like the OP, a fella just wanted a plate carrier on hand for the very worst doomsday scenario. Keep it in the house or truck and don’t worry about it. No training classes, no gun games.

what’s the major drawbacks other than weight? Is it so bad that you’re better off just not getting anything at all if that’s all you can afford?

The little pieces of metal in the bottom of your face, arms, neck and legs.

check out some videos on spall from steel plates. Even the ones with anti-spall coating are a no go in my book.

for me, steel was never in consideration because of this.

Reactions: MigKiller
    I have dealt with these folks, due to the chaos their shipping can take a while but their customer service will reply to request. Plan ahead on everything:

Added thought..... Doing some research and getting opinions is great. Bottom line is to procure something now. The top line equipment could be months away on delivery. Even if you have to borrow some protection to wear until your gear arrives. Kind of like owning a top shelf weapon and leaving it in the safe.... If it's not with you when you need it, no need to buy it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MigKiller
    Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but for this civil unrest and mob shit I think it would be WAY more effective to look like this:
    image42.jpg

rather than this:

dscn1571-1.jpg

Honestly, if I was going anywhere near those commie motherfuckers I would want to look exactly like they do, and have no visible weapons on me. I think camouflage would be way more effective than armor. Just IMHO.

Ok, so what are critical things you should look for when choosing the right vest or plates? I see them in all different price ranges which I’m sure is justified in some way but what are the “stay away from” things to consider.

for example - here are some level IV stand alone composite plates for under $200 Vs the poly ones listed above for $1200. Is there $1k more value between the two?

Cheaper usually means heavier I believe.

I just went thru this exercise and ended up with single curve level 4 plates from hoplite along with their carrier, and their heavy. But, its better than nothing and I can always upgrade later.

My Hesco L210s were $340 and are relatively light weight “special threat” protection. Worn in a BFG pc. Whole carrier plus admin stuff and 3 AR mags is 14lbs. Light enough to do full sprints with and run. Very comfortable and quick to put on.

My next PC will be a Spiritus Overt whenever they have them back in stock. The Spiritus will give me a bit more modularity/capability as the BFG is very minimalistic.

I’m still researching but leaning toward the Crye Airlight SPC and some of the Hesco plates. Seems like a lightweight setup at a reasonable price. I’ve already got a chest rig with hook/loop on the back that should just attach straight on which would make it easy to go back and forth as needed.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but for this civil unrest and mob shit I think it would be WAY more effective to look like this:
    image42.jpg

rather than this:

dscn1571-1.jpg

Honestly, if I was going anywhere near those commie motherfuckers I would want to look exactly like they do, and have no visible weapons on me. I think camouflage would be way more effective than armor. Just IMHO.
    I don’t think there’s any way I’m going to make that kind of camo work. I’m easily twice the size of those twerps and I’m not going out looking for any skinny jeans. I got the black shirt thing down, because pretty much every “patriot” shirt is black. I would just have to wear it inside out. I prefer to wear my shirts correctly, wear my coyote tan plate carrier and brandish my weapons in opposition to their dumb asses. Besides, way less chance of receiving friendly fire....

What you are paying for:

weight. Cheap plates are heavier.
    size. are they regular 10x12 or have bigger size like sapi l and xl for more coverage
    thickness. Thinner the Plate the more comfortable and less bulky it is.
    curve. A triple curve is much more comfortable and are usually more money
    brand. A name brand house with reputable testing will cost more than jimbobs plates from china.

having a lightweight tripple curve plate that provides maximum coverage including special threat defeat like API is expensive but worth it. How much your life worth?

If you can swing them, and aren't worried about concealability, the Hesco lightweight plates are my favorite. Their Level-III 3800 plate is only 2.2lbs in a SAPI medium. They are priced accordingly, though.

But they're not particularly concealable. I think they're over an inch thick.

Not to derail, but I am trying to set mine up and I can get the front plate to where it should sit at the notch, but trying to get the back plate up high up for C7/T1 area makes the back plate flare out like crazy.

Issue of the carrier is my guess?

Ok, so what are critical things you should look for when choosing the right vest or plates? I see them in all different price ranges which I’m sure is justified in some way but what are the “stay away from” things to consider.

for example - here are some level IV stand alone composite plates for under $200 Vs the poly ones listed above for $1200. Is there $1k more value between the two?

It's the protection level / weight / thickness matrix.

I didnt look, but I remember the standlone Hesco lvl4s are somewhere around 7.5lbs a piece versus something like 4lbs a piece on the 3+. Additionally, the 3+ were designed with M855A1 in mind.

You're trading weight and M855A1 protection (the lvl4 will probably stop it though) for AP protection. Food for thought; I don't think Ive ever been shot at by AP rounds, ever. But who knows.

I have a set of lightweight 4s and a set of 3+ and the weight difference alone is very noticable.

Reactions: MCHOG
    Not to derail, but I am trying to set mine up and I can get the front plate to where it should sit at the notch, but trying to get the back plate up high up for C7/T1 area makes the back plate flare out like crazy.

Issue of the carrier is my guess?

Yes, carriers are notorious for having the rear plate sit low.

Crye tried to fix this with the SPC having 2 height settings on where the cummerbund attaches to the rear plate bag.

My Hesco L210s were $340 and are relatively light weight “special threat” protection. Worn in a BFG pc. Whole carrier plus admin stuff and 3 AR mags is 14lbs. Light enough to do full sprints with and run. Very comfortable and quick to put on.

My next PC will be a Spiritus Overt whenever they have them back in stock. The Spiritus will give me a bit more modularity/capability as the BFG is very minimalistic.

I liked Spiritus stuff until I ran in it. They attach everything via velcro placards. You sound like a giant bunch of crunching velcro the entire time.

Reactions: TrevK
    I’m thinking about getting the l210. Seems fairly light, but gives up on 308. Is it worth the trade off?

@TheGerman whats the most breathable plate carrier you’ve used?

I haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. Without being able to put hands on them it’s hard to determine which will retain heat the least and allow for the most movement.

Bought a crye jpc for work a few years ago. Its low profile, really light, easy to move around in.

I bought Hesco 4400 series plates. Hopefully they will arrive before things get worse. For me, my area has a lot of 30 caliber rifle shooters for deer hunting. Not that I’m expecting a deer hunter to shoot me, but if uncle fudds rifle was stolen and used, that’s why I went lvl IV vs L210 special threat plates.

What's the general consensus on level IV plates from AR500 armor ? Other than they're heavy as all get out. 7.8lbs a piece ! I bought a set and a warrior assualt systems carrier a few years ago before I knew much about this stuff. Still don't know a whole lot but I'm learning.

Right now carrier with plates, 6 rifle mags and three pistol mags (8 round 45acp) weighs 28lbs. And that's all that's on there. Stepped on the scale wearing the carrier and my belt, which has my pistol, 2 more rifle mags, 2 more pistol mags, ifak and a tourniquet and my rifle loaded and it was an additional 50lbs altogether.

Reading through this thread has got me wanting to get another carrier and some lighter plates.

Great for hiking up mountains and doing a Murph with steel plates on. Not great for getting shot at while wearing.
    Mine are the level IV ceramic from ar500 armor. They're not made out of ar500. I knew enough to know I didn't want that.

I'm not sure that when the fit hits the shan that anyone is going to have enough time to "gear-up" before a fight. My thoughts would be trying to ensure that every shot my CCP could make was as true as it could be. Once 2 mags are gone and there are still threats, it's time to run for more gear. If you know that you are going into a fight, better to have a vest with all the gear you need.

I'm not sure that when the fit hits the shan that anyone is going to have enough time to "gear-up" before a fight. My thoughts would be trying to ensure that every shot my CCP could make was as true as it could be. Once 2 mags are gone and there are still threats, it's time to run for more gear. If you know that you are going into a fight, better to have a vest with all the gear you need.

Depends on where you live.

Tactical Advantage has live inventory and they ship quickly.

My only advice is don't get a MOLLE cummerbund unless you're running a heavy load. It's like Picatinny rails; most people are carrying way too much shit they don't need.

Oh, and don't buy cheap shit.

Reactions: USK308