• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vest/Plate Carrier PRS

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Not trying to LARP but my current body shape (ROUND IS A SHAPE!!! STOP LAUGHING!) is not very conclusive to gun belts. I was curious if anyone uses a vest to hold an extra mag or two and just the regular crap you hang on your belt (ear pro when not in use, kestrel, IFAK). I have no idea what to search for if its "plate carriers" (No i am not wearing plates) or "tactical vest" or what. I no longer have an ass, but I sill have a gut, so belts are not working at this time. Would rather just hang shit on my shoulders. (Why yes--I do wear suspenders).

Reactions: lash
An option is Longtucky Supply's fanny pack. It can be worn around the waist or slung around the shoulder. Holds mags behind the pouch, can attach kestrel holder to it, etc. Worth poking around his website to see if it's an option for you.

Reactions: rybe390
Plate carrier, but instead of armor...

Unknown.jpeg

No seriously. :)

I have no idea what to search for if its "plate carriers"
Chest rig is a term you might use.

Mountainsmith makes nice lumbar packs that don’t look like fanny packs and that hold tight to your back. Might be an option.

AFAIK they invented the lumbar pack ~40 yrs ago. Mine is the Day size and it’s 35 years old.

WTF is wrong with pants pockets? Why do people feel the need to go play tactical timmy dress up at matches? Between the jerseys and a multicam PRS is just gay as fuck.
😂😂😂

If you need to carry a bunch of stuff but not rucking yet moving a couple of steps here and there. These are easier to toss on than a full pack and will hold anything you may think you need

Sits on the gut not under it lol

“Sling bags”

Some tactical/hiking one have a thin waist strap so it doesn’t flop around if for some reason you feel the need to bring a ifak 10’ from your PRS pile

Plus you can use it in normal life. Where a tac belt is used a few days a month if that
IMG_6786.png

WTF is wrong with pants pockets? Why do people feel the need to go play tactical timmy dress up at matches? Between the jerseys and a multicam PRS is just gay as fuck.
They tend to be full of things like keys, phones, wallets (as well as dirt and lint).

We invented this thing called the holster. Its pretty handy, you should try it--its pretty gay and tacticool tho. But Wyatt Earp carried his piece in his coat pocket. Thats totall OG. Mag holsters are also REALLY nice. I have a bunch of them when I play dress up for USPSA or play Concealed Carry for realz. (like totz realz)

Go play jacks for all we care--we want to play guns if thats okay with you high drag low speed fuckers. I mean its not like we are on a gun board FFS.

What I really don't understand is fucking assholes who feel the need to shit in technical threads for legit questions. You could always just put another couple cocks in your mouth and yet here you are, being more gay than PRS or USPSA board drama.

@Jefe's Dope you laugh, but I wear a sombrero to mow in. I may have to do it for PRS. Keeps those ears and neck from getting burned. Dem caballeros was onto sumtin!

Just get a surplus war belt. Put your kestrel in a flashbang or ir strobe case. Throw a mag pouch and an admin pouch on it and your set.

FB_IMG_1691439807745.jpg

Wear it for movement and then throw it over your tripod when at a stage.

Also not only for shooting but your health it would be a good idea to lose some weight and try to be more active.

Condor stuff has come a long way over the years. For the money, it's pretty good now. Will link a popular chest rig.

And, not being an ass......if belts are giving you fits, you may have trouble finding chest and armor rigs to fit you.

Reactions: Charmingmander
I shoot PRS pretty much exclusively. A chest rig is definitely NOT something you need to be worrying about for PRS. If it can't fit on a belt, you don't need it. I run an everyday belt to keep my pants in place and a SAP mag holster for when things get weird on the clock. Anything else can go in your pockets, but there shouldn't be much else. No you should not have your phone, wallet, or keys in your pockets when shooting. Keep that shit in your pack till you need it. Same for the IFAK. I keep my Kestrel in my tripod caddy along with all my pens, data cards, and arm board because that's where I write data and establish a stage plan. The less shit on my person the better.

Anything on your belt should go on the sides so when you're laying prone you're not laying on it, which is why chest rigs probably aren't a good idea for this sport.

Chest rig is a term you might use.

Mountainsmith makes nice lumbar packs that don’t look like fanny packs and that hold tight to your back. Might be an option.

AFAIK they invented the lumbar pack ~40 yrs ago. Mine is the Day size and it’s 35 years old.

That looks uncomfortable vs a small backpack. Could be cool if they're not. How does your back feel after wearing it all day?

That looks uncomfortable vs a small backpack. Could be cool if they're not. How does your back feel after wearing it all day?
The Mountainsmith Day lumbar pack is actually super comfy. You’ll get a little sweaty if you’re hiking all day, but you’d get sweaty without a pack too. And a backpack will make you sweat anyway.

There’s these diagonal “delta” straps that you tighten after you’ve cinched the waist belt down tight. That is the bit that draws the pack right to your body so it doesn’t flop around.

Mountainsmith sells these add-on shoulder straps called “strapettes“ if you’re carrying a lot. Never used them but I guess people like them. Reviews say they reduce sway when the pack is heavy.

Here’s some more lumbar accessories

Also noticed they’re selling last years model for a lot off. You could always get it via Amazon or REI and return it if you don’t like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FWoo45

Just get a surplus war belt. Put your kestrel in a flashbang or ir strobe case. Throw a mag pouch and an admin pouch on it and your set.

View attachment 8244392

Wear it for movement and then throw it over your tripod when at a stage.

Also not only for shooting but your health it would be a good idea to lose some weight and try to be more active.

That's not a bad idea. I used one for years starting around mid 2000s in matches when they were a little different than today but they will still work now if you wanted to carry a couple spare mags but I wouldn't carry a ton of stuff on you as it's not really needed in a stage of fire. Carry what is needed only and leave the rest in the pack. A vest would not be a good idea.

SHC08_FLG-0366.jpg
SHC08_FLG-0731.jpg

@Rob01 it works pretty good. I try to carry only the bare minimum. Rifle slung in-between stages, tripod clipped to assault pack. War belt on my body.

Everything I need goes in the pack, ammo, snacks, water. Everything I use when spotting goes in the war belt, kestrel, range finder, spare mag, gamer plate, lens wipes and dope cards. And that goes over the tripod when spotting.

@Rob01 it works pretty good. I try to carry only the bare minimum. Rifle slung in-between stages, tripod clipped to assault pack. War belt on my body.

Everything I need goes in the pack, ammo, snacks, water. Everything I use when spotting goes in the war belt, kestrel, range finder, spare mag, gamer plate, lens wipes and dope cards. And that goes over the tripod when spotting.

Yup that’s why I think the OP would find it useful compared to a vest.

Reactions: camocorvette
You must not actually shoot PRS much… I haven’t either, but I’ve volunteered as RO at a couple national level matches to see what’s up. Anywho… most of those guys look like a gypsy caravan moving from one stage to the next, but it’s all in backpacks that wouldn’t qualify for carry-on or strapped to a tripod. On the stage, seems like I remember bare bones, mostly just two mag pouches (one in rifle and one spare.)

If you can’t put two mag pouches on your belt and get to them, some lifestyle changes might be in order.

Reactions: DairyDictator
I do appreciate the feedback about the belts (plus draping on tripod!!) and yeah my area doesn't do much prone, hadn't considered that.

Mine isn't overloaded, just tends to fall off a lot. Yes I can tighten it (ty capt obvious) but that comes with its own issues where it cuts into the skin.

(edit: and for moving shit, those giant ass tool belts look handy to throw over the shoulders)

I could see a h- harness battle belt set up working. Carry the essential stuff and drap on the tripod. I'm youngish still and don't need a gun caddy but I do see the benefits at times. But other matches I've been to with terrain and weather it's been a hindrance to people with them.

My mantra is just the basics that I need to complete a match. Backups and extras stay in the car.

But I wouldn't worry about a belt or vest for the actual shooting portion. Maybe if you do some NRL hunter, then a way to carry everything and it be accessible is necessary.

I'd think in your case. A good backpack would provide most of what your looking for.
Check out that venture surplus link I posted. They have some inexpensive used surplus gear that you won't be out of pocket that much to try and decide if you need it or not.

I haven't shot PRS ,but used to shoot high power service rifle , and we used a folding seat with a fabrick bottom in it that had pockets on two sides plus the main compartment in the middle, and a shoulder strap for carrying, that might be a option, plus you got something to sit on between stages.

I could see a h- harness battle belt set up working. Carry the essential stuff and drap on the tripod. I'm youngish still and don't need a gun caddy but I do see the benefits at times. But other matches I've been to with terrain and weather it's been a hindrance to people with them.

My mantra is just the basics that I need to complete a match. Backups and extras stay in the car.

But I wouldn't worry about a belt or vest for the actual shooting portion. Maybe if you do some NRL hunter, then a way to carry everything and it be accessible is necessary.

I'd think in your case. A good backpack would provide most of what your looking for.
Check out that venture surplus link I posted. They have some inexpensive used surplus gear that you won't be out of pocket that much to try and decide if you need it or not.

Youngish. Lol I am oldish and still carry everything in my pack for a match. Can see the draw of a cart but I also see it making people carry more than that need because they can. But that’s another conversation.😉

An H harness would work and give him support of the belt but I was reading this as he needed a belt to carry spare mags for a stage. If just for all that other stuff then the pack will work for that.

Haha well 38.. mind feels young but body feels old.

Something like this is perfect for a spare mag.

I literally just put it in my back pocket. I've got a SAP mag holder and a few others. But I find the back pocket works just fine for me.

Reactions: Rob01
Spare mag goes in my pocket.

Ammo and shooting bags, binos, rangefinder, and wind meter all go in the backpack.

Bipod never leaves the gun, and I quit bothering with a tripod (many matches have limited to deploy on the clock around here, so it's not worth the time penalty).

Haha well 38.. mind feels young but body feels old.

Something like this is perfect for a spare mag.

I literally just put it in my back pocket. I've got a SAP mag holder and a few others. But I find the back pocket works just fine for me.

LOL mid feels young at 57 too but body feel much older. LOL

I use a single mag holder now on my belt right above my rear pocket. I just find it easier to grab than in a pocket when on the clock. Movement and positions can make a mag shift in a pocket and depending on your position at the time of needing it might make it very hard to get also.

An option is Longtucky Supply's fanny pack. It can be worn around the waist or slung around the shoulder. Holds mags behind the pouch, can attach kestrel holder to it, etc. Worth poking around his website to see if it's an option for you.

Came here to recommend this. I've worn mine over the shoulder a few times and it works great. If I'm at the range, I've got that fanny pack. With a Kywi on molle section, I carry 3 mags in it at a time with zero retention issues. I will never not recommend this.

I'd recommend a lower profile split front rig. Put a couple pouches on it and your good to go. You can buckle it up if your walking long distances but if your standing around and going prone you can just keep it un buckled.

Came here to recommend this. I've worn mine over the shoulder a few times and it works great. If I'm at the range, I've got that fanny pack. With a Kywi on molle section, I carry 3 mags in it at a time with zero retention issues. I will never not recommend this.
I’ve also got the Longtucky unit and love it! It lives with my rifle. I’ve always got 2 loaded mags and a pair of LRF binos in the main pouch. The bare minimum to get the rifle into service no matter what.

anyone know of a good mag punch for 20 round AR mags? i guess the AICS and AR10 mag holders would work for that huh?

Not trying to LARP but my current body shape (ROUND IS A SHAPE!!! STOP LAUGHING!) is not very conclusive to gun belts. I was curious if anyone uses a vest to hold an extra mag or two and just the regular crap you hang on your belt (ear pro when not in use, kestrel, IFAK). I have no idea what to search for if its "plate carriers" (No i am not wearing plates) or "tactical vest" or what. I no longer have an ass, but I sill have a gut, so belts are not working at this time. Would rather just hang shit on my shoulders. (Why yes--I do wear suspenders).
Look at “Chest Rigs”.

LOL mid feels young at 57 too but body feel much older. LOL

I use a single mag holder now on my belt right above my rear pocket. I just find it easier to grab than in a pocket when on the clock. Movement and positions can make a mag shift in a pocket and depending on your position at the time of needing it might make it very hard to get also.
I finally went to a mag holder this season. Much more consistent presentation than a cargo pocket. Nothing else on my belt now. I should get a kestrel holder though. I’m afraid to leave it around. $1300 bill right there.

Reactions: Rob01