• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Platform opinions. (Enter Savage haters)

I’ve handled the Ruger and have had several savages. I say savage if your planning to go with aftermarket chassis like mdt ESS etc. I thought the Ruger, especially the Buttstock felt a bit cheap. Although you could switch it out. My savage 110 HS in a MDT ESS is one of the most accurate rifles I own. That includes my AI.

I replaced the detent ball under the extractor with the 9/64 when I bought the rifle. Have had zero issues with it.

Here’s my Savage 110, in 300 WM- Several loads shot at 100/300/800 yds. Factory barrel. 200 ELDX

B1F6F727-E967-4091-908B-4F23D3AF8D8C.jpeg
A09E74B3-0B4A-4022-AE6E-0819816394B6.jpeg
4B72AE40-CE87-4E95-BED0-01C0B7520091.jpeg
1CDD5F75-A7C2-4C3B-86C6-5A121ED63B10.jpeg
C01EBF57-BB0C-493E-99A5-D33FAD0D13AE.jpeg
E55D3E3F-ADED-443D-964A-A623A185CC46.png
F69D16B5-06D5-4A67-A45D-61E83C18AEFF.jpeg
3C7A8F1B-F2BE-403F-862C-42D44FCEBA50.jpeg
6F2C4BCA-F57A-4C68-A796-25A51BA37CD8.jpeg

I’ve handled the Ruger and have had several savages. I say savage if your planning to go with aftermarket chassis like mdt ESS etc. I thought the Ruger, especially the Buttstock felt a bit cheap. Although you could switch it out. My savage 110 HS in a MDT ESS is one of the most accurate rifles I own. That includes my AI.

I replaced the detent ball under the extractor with the 9/64 when I bought the rifle. Have had zero issues with it.

Here’s my Savage 110, in 300 WM- Several loads shot at 100/300/800 yds. Factory barrel. 200 ELDX

View attachment 7373645View attachment 7373646View attachment 7373647View attachment 7373648View attachment 7373649View attachment 7373650View attachment 7373651View attachment 7373652View attachment 7373653

Can’t complain w that.

I’ve got several Savage Rifles, every one of them shoots “good” a few shoot better, one shoots as well as yours.

I’ve got a Ruger Precision Rifle too, it’s a 1/2” Gun all day. Sometimes I get lucky and shoot a little better.

Can’t complain w that.

I’ve got several Savage Rifles, every one of them shoots “good” a few shoot better, one shoots as well as yours.

I’ve got a Ruger Precision Rifle too, it’s a 1/2” Gun all day. Sometimes I get lucky and shoot a little better.

To be honest the Ruger precision and Tikka tac A1 were on my “need to try” list. I think both are great options obviously not many options in 300 platforms.

But I bought an AIAT. No longer have the Tikka or Ruger bug

Reactions: 338dude
I assume price is an object. If so, based on countless Hide threads, Tikka T3x CTR or TAC-A1 belong on your list. Many more knowledgeable guys say the Tikka is the smoothest factory action available.

To be honest the Ruger precision and Tikka tac A1 were on my “need to try” list. I think both are great options obviously not many options in 300 platforms.

But I bought an AIAT. No longer have the Tikka or Ruger bug

funny how an AIAT always miraculously cures desire for lower cost rifles! 😆

If it was me I’d go Tikka before savage or Ruger. As suggested above even the ctr and add a chassis/stock of your choice

But between savage and ruger, as OP asked, it’s a toss up

Maybe I'll just stick with my factory Bergara HMR in .308 for now until I can afford to go with a custom build or a tikka t3 tac a1 in 6.5 creedmoor since everything else is just a ridiculous option. Lol

Abundant Aftermarket Options, action Feel, ability to rebarrel, price, looks, Frank Galli shoots one, etc. 😉

I tossed a shilen prefit barrel on a lonely left hand savage action I had a while ago and it’s a fine shooting stick. Lacks some refinement but it does the job well. But with all the options for shouldered prefits and remage barrels these days the barrel nut option for savage actions is not as much a benefit as it used to be. The tikka is a nice rig. I believe you can even get shouldered prefits for them if I’m not wrong.

HAVAK PRO HUNTER PH2
$1,895.00
This might be an option
But u can build your own for another 100 bucks

Savage. You can turn a $250 pawn shop special into a 1000 yard steel ringer for about another $500. That will get you a more solid stock and good barrel.

also, I’ve got a Howa barreled action that shoots well. You can find a stock for one of those for $250-300. It’s a good little setup.

My first rifle was a Savage. I still have it, now with a Bartlein on it. It's been my Franken-gun where I try things out and if I like said things then I work them into something more substantial. It shoots pretty well, but that's about all I can say. I had a lot of work done to it to get it to be just okay.

Notes:
- My Savage is like my Jeep. It does what it's supposed to, but it's not the most comfortable while doing it.
- Also like my Jeep, I had to do a fair number of modifications to get it to where it works.
- Also, also like my Jeep, there are a few things that give me fits.
- Unlike my Jeep, there are not as many quality aftermarket options as there are for others (Tikka, R700).
- Also unlike my Jeep, it does not retain value all that well.

The rifle was my first long range rig, and as such it holds a special place. That, and the fact that I can't sell it for what it's worth to me, means I'll hold onto it for a good while. Would I recommend a Savage to someone else? Probably not, though I must say that Savage rifles don't deserve the hate that some cast upon them.

Reactions: Slo cat
If you’re on a really tight budget a Tikka is better than the savage but just marginally. If you want a factory rifle in .300 prc and have the coin give the Remington Custom shop a call. The remy clones are nice and you’re better off with a custom. The defiance, stiller, bat, and big horn actions are all based off the basic Remington design and will do everything you need. Don’t waste your time and money on those rifles you mentioned. You can dress up a pig but all you’ll have is a pig in a dress. If you try to sell the dress later on you’ll have to find someone who wants to dress up their pig. You can always sell the Remingtons, it’s clones, or their accessories. Good luck

Reactions: RichardCranium
View attachment 7373991

I know this game, cover the flyers with two full sheets of paper used like curtains. :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Hahaha 😂

Ironically yes that is exactly what I was doing but covering shots from sighting in several guns that day. Here’s a couple other groups covered next to the one above. 260 Rem and Armalite AR10 at 100. Same paper
1EFB4686-C787-4CCA-8AD1-1592A91D8663.jpeg
7567B8BD-1776-477F-A52A-528121DBBC44.jpeg