• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Please Help me decide. AAC or SureFire 7.62

TheTrauma

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2008
Michigan
First I'm very new and excited about purchasing my first suppressor.

What I want is a can that can be used on my 7005R Bolt, LMT MWS .308,MRP .556, and 300 Blackout.

I've been reading reviews and trying to absorb as much information about these the SureFire 762SS and the AAC 762-SDN6.

My concerns on the SureFire is basically the price. My major concern on the AAC is the wobble that I've been reading about with regard to the 51t mount.

What would you do?

Re: Please Help me decide. AAC or SureFire 7.62

surefire = zero wobble i trst a surefire mount over thread mount to not come loose.

Thunderbeasts are light and very nice too.

AAC's are great for the price.

We are so close to SHOT show it may be worth it to wait. Even if you aren't buying the newest product it may create enough buzz to lower prices on existing items.

I chose SF because of their repeat zero, detachable feature. I really like AAC cans for AR's though. For .308 I'd go SF or Thunderbeast if you don't need it to be quick detach.

I've found the POI shift to be absolutely repeatable on my AAC cans, so I'm not sure what you meant by "repeat zero." If you mean Surefire's claim that their can doesn't casue a POI shift when mounted, then that is utter, complete, 100% hogwash. Some of the same people who will tell you that your POI will shift if you even wrap a piece of electrician's tape around your barrel will also tell you that a hanging a Surefire can on their barrel doesn't shift your POI. Can it happen? Yeah, anything can happen, but it's either sweet luck or somebody took the time to tune a barrel length to a specific can.

With SHOT this close, though, I would wait and see what comes out. If you have the money for the Surefire and HAVE to buy now, spend it on the .300SD

I have both. The sf will have some shift. If the mount is tight on the AAC, it shifts no more than a surefire. Aac is quieter than the sf.

Shift is irrelevant IF repeatable. AAC's mounts are a crapshoot whether they lock up tight or not. AAC has very good suppression, but repeatability is more important on a precision gun. The Surefire mounts lock up tight, are repeatable, and don't have latches subject to wear. You get what you pay for and my money would go on the Surefire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First I'm very new and excited about purchasing my first suppressor.

What I want is a can that can be used on my 7005R Bolt, LMT MWS .308,MRP .556, and 300 Blackout.

I've been reading reviews and trying to absorb as much information about these the SureFire 762SS and the AAC 762-SDN6.

My concerns on the SureFire is basically the price. My major concern on the AAC is the wobble that I've been reading about with regard to the 51t mount.

What would you do? </div></div>

If you're concerned with price and solid mounting, we have an option that is best of both worlds if you can wait 5 months for it.

The Promo RSTA is a solid mounting system, at a $850, $200 tax + one mount included price.

Given that you have a lot of guns to set up, you'd also benefit from the fact that promo participants are getting access to extra mounts for discounted rates.

The SDN-6 is now $1050 without a $99 mount- without the $200 tax so the same package is $1349 ($500 more). It also underperformed the hype (louder than the 7.62SD on every platform in independent tests). <Granted it's still competitive with the average full size suppressors on the market, just not with AAC's full size suppressors.

The RSTA is approximately the same mounted overall length as the SDN-6, but has 2.5" rear of the muzzle to provide extra volume for increased sound reduction. The baffle system is higher performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The SDN-6 is now $1050 without a $99 mount- without the $200 tax so the same package is $1349 ($500 more). It also underperformed the hype (louder than the 7.62SD on every platform in independent tests). </div></div>

Please provide source material. I have seen one independent test with multiple hosts. I would like to see some scientific data to back this up. You know, multiple tests, different days or time of the year, more ammo selection, etc, etc.

Everyone toots their own horn. Mostly I've found that people back the cans they already choose with claims that they are the quietest, tightest, have the least POI shift, etc. Think about it. You've just spent upwards of a grand (ore more for titanium) plus a mount and machining maybe, plus $200 tax, gotten a runaround for fingerprints or a trust, then waited 6 months for the transfer to come through.

Of COURSE your XYZ can is the best.

Keep in mind when reviewing silencer tests, a 3 dBa change doubles or halves the actual sound pressure. This is true of audio in general,not just with cans.

POI shift can have as much to do with how well your gun is threaded and crowned as the can itself.

I started with a TL Gun 5.56mm 6" "Smidget" and it's served me well for over 10 years. Got a .22 LR can from TL too,then a .45 can for a MAC-10. Couple years ago I bought an SRT Shadow on a Rem 700 PSS. I have less than a 1/4 MOA POI shift with or without the can and it's predictable (lower right hand side of the target). Also own four AAC cans, as I picked an AAC M4-1000 to swap between an AR carbine and Rem 700 LTR and a Cyclone. Can't tell the difference between the cyclone or the Shadow in .308 and I've asked friends to try, too, by swapping out the two cans during shoots. Just recently picked up an AAC 7.62-SDN-QD and have it mounted on a DPMS REPR. Same results as between the cyclone and the shadow according to the same group of folks.

I'm opening myself up to a shitstorm here from the dealers and testers, but keep in mind, the results YOU get in the field are going to depend on your perceptions, your terrain (you shooting in tree-lined range or open desert?), density altitude, velocity (a subsonic round is WAY more quiet than a high-velocity round). The job of the can is to limit the "boom" while the sonic "crack" is always going to be there regardless. Some cans do this a little better than others, and at less expense.

Personally, if I was doing it "all over again" I'd probably start with AAC in .308, the QD model, maybe a .338 Titanium can for versatility (('m about to buy one for a bolt gun I shoot).

If you can link up with people who shoot with cans it'll give you a better feel for what you're getting into, but it's not like we advertise. Well, not outside the 'hide anyway.

Have fun. Shoot, shoot often, and bring a friend.

I own an AAC Cyclone K. I have shot the Surefire unit and several of the older 28T AAC's. I probably wouldn't have the AAC if you needed a solid locking unit. I have seen 3 of 3 28T models have weird "wiggle" issues. Now the 51T model may have fixed that, but at the end of the day you're just increased the chances of getting another tooth instead of actually sandwiching the mount. I have also shot the AAC M4-2000 with the same 51T mount, and even that didn't always lockup as tight as I would like. I like the Surefire design, but for a precision gun I just stick with thread on units.

As stated above people typically go with what they own and I'm no different. I really like my Cyclone K for cost, performance, repeatability, and weight but there just seem to be less variables with thread on units then QD units in my humble opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The SDN-6 is now $1050 without a $99 mount- without the $200 tax so the same package is $1349 ($500 more). It also underperformed the hype (louder than the 7.62SD on every platform in independent tests). </div></div>

Please provide source material. I have seen one independent test with multiple hosts. I would like to see some scientific data to back this up. You know, multiple tests, different days or time of the year, more ammo selection, etc, etc. </div></div>

I saw three tests- multiple patforms.

Silencer Forum tested the 762SD and SDN-6 on a 16" Ar in 5.56, and also on a 20" .308, and also on an 8" 300 BLK subsonic.

VS the 762SD, the SDN-6 was 5DB louder on the Ar, 4DB louder on the 20" .308, and 5DB louder on the 300BLK.

John at silencer research did a non official test no published review but posted data, and the SDN-6 metered 140 on a 10.5" 5.56, 138.5 on a 14.5" M4 (4DB's louder than his comparable figure [134.5] for the 762SD.) Johns data is the least supportive because I have to compare different test days where Silencer forum's 3 tests of both models were conducted on the same day for each caliber.

So you're looking at 4 tests of the SDN-6, three very valid- one a little less valid in that it has to be compared with 762SD data from a different test day.

It isn't an opinion- it's the only conclusion to derive from the data currently available.

AAC, great tone and good value, however the mounts SUCK. I have yet to find a single mount for m4-2000 that doesn't wobble. There is a fix out there but I haven't tried it yet and probably won't. I have a surefire 7.62 MINI on order so once it arrives I will tell you how it compares.

The 762-SDN-6 has a lot more Inconel than the 762-SD - it is designed to last an extra-long time.

Austin, did you really need to clone the look of the AAC website for yours? Did you really need to take our "Front toward enemy" and put it on your cans also?

True HK had the MP5-SD, but for years we had the 300-SD, the 762-SD, the ACR-SD, the RGP-SD, the SCAR-SD, the 240-SD, and the 249-SD - did you really need to call your new can the "M4-SD?"

Seems a bit too much of an obsession.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a Thunderbeast 30 Cal can. No issues. </div></div>

This!

If you are going to go all out, go all out.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What would you do? </div></div>

TBAC. I bought a 30P before the 30P1 came out. It is simply outstanding. Excellent sound reduction, but far more importantly, very little poi change/great repeatability with the thread on connection. My associates purchased 30P1's. And again, they are top notch. All TBAC cans I have seen are precision enhancing.

One can is not enough. My 30 cal can spans the board from 5.56 to 30 cal, but, typically I will bring two rifles with me to shoot. Its not that switching the suppressor to another gun is a big deal, its not. But, with any can, once a certain number of rounds are run through it, you will be waiting for it to cool. Nice to have another rifle at the ready without muss and fuss. This is a want issue, not a need.

So, I found myself in a similar dilemma as you, what other can to buy? I took home a 40% off any surefire suppressor certificate from a comp and so that was definitely a consideration. However, based on my actual experience, with TBAC, I've ordered a .338BA for use on 30cal through 338. Additionally, I've ordered a 22lr can as well to round out the picture.

Whatever you decide, its not a mistake. All very good companies and manufacturers. However, even a cursory review of the write-ups on precision rifle suppressors might lead you to the same conclusions I've reached. Good luck sir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Austin, did you really need to clone the look of the AAC website for yours? Did you really need to take our "Front toward enemy" and put it on your cans also?

True HK had the MP5-SD, but for years we had the 300-SD, the 762-SD, the ACR-SD, the RGP-SD, the SCAR-SD, the 240-SD, and the 249-SD - did you really need to call your new can the "M4-SD?"

Seems a bit too much of an obsession.

Holy shit!
smile.gif

</div></div>

I have a AAC Ti-Rant 45, and its great. I had ordered a 338 Titan at the same time and it was so slow in getting delivered that after 9 months when I talked to teh AAC Rep at SHOT and he said they didn't have a production date yet, I pulled the plug and got a refund. No more AACs in my future.

But there is at least a 338BA from ThunderBeast coming in my Direction, plus possibly a 300 WM rated 30 cal can as well (for my 7WSM).
smile.gif

JeffVN

I have a thread mounted AAC Cyclone great can for my use... 300 Whisper 308 bolt gun and a AR 10 also have a SAS 30 caliber can that is thread mount that I use on everything from 223 to 300 WSM a bit heavy Tim does make Ti 300 cans that are quick mount. Btewen the to cans you mentioned I'd go with AAC after all surefire makes nice flash lights.

Are you stuck on a "fast attach" , if so why??

A good thread mount is hard to beat and that will greatly increase your options.

Thank you all for the replies. I have even more to think about now. For the most part I think I will wait and see what comes out at shot.

With the fast attach, I was thinking that this would be the simplest way to have a can work for all those rifles. Honestly I really didn't think about a screw on option.

In my opinion, it is nothing short of wasteful and stupid to drop $2000+ on a SureFire 7.62SS when you can get the same performance at half the cost and sometimes less.

As others have previously stated, the TBAC 30BA and 30P-1 are awesome cans and I'm placing an order for one next month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With the fast attach, I was thinking that this would be the simplest way to have a can work for all those rifles. Honestly I really didn't think about a screw on option. </div></div>

A thread mount will be alot cheaper all around , as not having to by a mount for each weapon , you have to pay to have them all threaded anyway may as well have them all thread for the same can , save money , no worry about poor fit and non repaetable POI change.

Personally I refuse to pay up to and over a grand for somthing I can build for 1/10 the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, it is nothing short of wasteful and stupid to drop $2500+ on a SureFire 7.62SS when you can get the same performance at half the cost and sometimes less.

As others have previously stated, the TBAC 30BA and 30P-1 are awesome cans and I'm placing an order for one next month. </div></div>

If you know someone selling SF's for $2500 and they are making sales they need to be Obama's financial advisor. My FFL is greedy as they come but they still sale them for around $1800-1900. That's still pretty expensive but if it's what you want then it's what you want.

If they made a detachable TBAC that would be the shit!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, it is nothing short of wasteful and stupid to drop $2500+ on a SureFire 7.62SS when you can get the same performance at half the cost and sometimes less.

As others have previously stated, the TBAC 30BA and 30P-1 are awesome cans and I'm placing an order for one next month. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">If you know someone selling SF's for $2500 and they are making sales they need to be Obama's financial advisor.</span> My FFL is greedy as they come but they still sale them for around $1800-1900. That's still pretty expensive but if it's what you want then it's what you want.

<span style="font-weight: bold">If they made a detachable TBAC that would be the shit!</span></div></div>

I was typing on my iPhone earlier and the number I gave ($2500) is a typo. I can't locate the particular topic at the moment but I remember seeing/reading where another member paid something like $2200+ for his SureFire.

I agree with the comment on the TBAC.

A local dealer is doing a group buy for suppressors. He quoted me on the 7.62ss for 1500.

AAC is a better can. Surfire a better name IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC is a better can. Surfire a better name IMO </div></div>

I had a FA556 on a 10.5" working gun and was not impressed in the least , granted it was WAY more pleasant to shoot with the can than without it but with Hornady TAP ammo I personally would not call it ear safe seemed as loud maybe a bit more than my kids 10/22 with CCI Stinger ammo

I did hear a 7.62MG on a 20" barreled 308 that did sound good but I do t think it outshined the SRT ShadowXL or SWR Omega that was shooting with it.

If I were gonna spend $1000+ on a can I would get either a Tbac or Shark

Our "BA" series was for people who wanted to retain a muzzle device with the suppressor detached but have the accuracy and repeatability of a screw-on can.

For those of us on limited funds, using a QD mount allows me to use one can on 1/2-28, 15X1M and 5/8-24.
Only had to have one weapon threaded.
Cost effective for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jetmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of us on limited funds, using a QD mount allows me to use one can on 1/2-28, 15X1M and 5/8-24.
Only had to have one weapon threaded.
Cost effective for me. </div></div>
That makes total sense , at the same time their Are several people that can make a thread adapter , get a can with 3/4x24 threads and thread mounts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, it is nothing short of wasteful and stupid to drop $2500+ on a SureFire 7.62SS when you can get the same performance at half the cost and sometimes less.

<span style="font-weight: bold">If you know someone selling SF's for $2500 and they are making sales they need to be Obama's financial advisor.</span> My FFL is greedy as they come but they still sale them for around $1800-1900. That's still pretty expensive but if it's what you want then it's what you want.

<span style="font-weight: bold">If they made a detachable TBAC that would be the shit!</span></div></div>

I was typing on my iPhone earlier and the number I gave ($2500) is a typo. I can't locate the particular topic at the moment but I remember seeing/reading where another member paid something like $2200+ for his SureFire.

I agree with the comment on the TBAC. </div></div>

You're not far off though on the end cost even at $1800. If you can get the can for $1800, then the $200 tax stamp, $150 for the attachment brake if you don't already have it, then sales tax in some states like mine (8.6% on the stamp, can, and mount = $135) then your still looking at $2335. Then there's the cost of having a Trust set-up which in this state I've been told is a must, so you're looking at another $100 for now $2435-$2500...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, it is nothing short of wasteful and stupid to drop $2500+ on a SureFire 7.62SS when you can get the same performance at half the cost and sometimes less.

You're not far off though on the end cost even at $1800. If you can get the can for $1800, then the $200 tax stamp, $150 for the attachment brake if you don't already have it, then sales tax in some states like mine (8.6% on the stamp, can, and mount = $135) then your still looking at $2335. Then there's the cost of having a Trust set-up which in this state I've been told is a must, so you're looking at another $100 for now $2435-$2500...
</div></div>

You should be able to find the 762SS for well under $2000 at various dealers here on the Hide.

I think price should be the last decision when making a suppressor purchase. You will most likely have the suppressor forever so a couple hundred dollars will not make a huge difference. I have a 762SS on order because out of the cans I have heard in person it was by far my favorite sounding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

You should be able to find the 762SS for well under $2000 at various dealers here on the Hide.

I think price should be the last decision when making a suppressor purchase. You will most likely have the suppressor forever so a couple hundred dollars will not make a huge difference. I have a 762SS on order because out of the cans I have heard in person it was by far my favorite sounding. </div></div>

It doesn't matter. In WA they make the FFL still charge the 8.6% Sales tax on the invoice, shipping, and insurance, and then you have to pay the FFL fee on top of it. Same for all FFL transfers including guns. It blows...

The Surefire cans are supplied w/ a brake or comp adapter, $1800 is around retail;if you are into paying "retail".

Yeah I was saying my FFL is greedy and they charge $1800-1900. I have a connection now and got mine for $1250
smile.gif
. Just waiting on paperwork now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Surefire cans are supplied w/ a brake or comp adapter, $1800 is around retail;if you are into paying "retail". </div></div>

They do not all inlude a brake or adapter. Maybe some vendors include them, but the come from SF without...

I was just debating the same thing you are. I went with the SF. You get what you pay for and when paying this much money for something you shouldnt have to worry about "wiggle" and because of comments made on this page and all over the Internet I will never own a AAC product, I am selling a upper because it has a pinned AAC mount on it. I will be buying a Thunderbeast can next week and would recommend calling and taking with them. They are very helpful and made my choice for a second can easy.

I went with Surefire for the simple fact that they back their product. I have had no less than amazing customer service from them with their mags and lights.

AAC makes a great can, matter of fact I am waiting on my TiRant to clear. I just think Surefire is a better company when it comes to customer service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Surefire cans are supplied w/ a brake or comp adapter, $1800 is around retail;if you are into paying "retail". </div></div>

They do not all inlude a brake or adapter. Maybe some vendors include them, but the come from SF without... </div></div>Maybe some vendors take them out and sell them separately?? Both of mine came w/ them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I was saying my FFL is greedy and they charge $1800-1900. I have a connection now and got mine for $1250
smile.gif
. Just waiting on paperwork now</div></div>

$1250?... i need better "connections".

I was in the same boat as well, I ended up going Surefire 7.62SS... I Throw it on my 5.56MRP and my 300mag, plus you cant beat the surefire brake if you use your gun for hunting like I do.

I been stuck between Surefire and AAC for the past year until somebody recently introduced me to Thunderbeast. I can't tell you have responsive Ray Sanchez of Thunderbeast was to my inquiries. Combined with the excellent reviews I've read, I ordered a 30p-1. Now the wait begins......tick tock tick tock tick tock

For those in the Seattle, WA area, I ordered through Discount Guns - just ask for Ty at the Kirkland location. He is one of the nicest and most patient gun store types that I've ever run across.