• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Please help me get a deer with my fathers bow.

Geronimo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
columbus, ohio
Ok, one month and two day's ago my father died without warning, I now have black powder pistols and a couple 45's and a bow he had since iI was a kid. In his honor I plan to get a deer this season with it, it is a shakespear-recurve (sp?) 55 draw and 58 pull length i will have gone over . My need is what sites to research or arrow/broadhead combinations would be a start. It has been forever since I used a bow but i am very stubborn. I thank you in advance for any help.

Sorry to hear about your father. I like your decision to honor him. I don't have experience with recurves so I couldn't give you much advice on arrows and broad heads for recurves. Bow hunting is whole new ballgame but one well worth playing. There is nothing like a 15 yd SWACK! Good luck. Prevailing wind direction and height are extremely important when placing a stand. Scent control!

Ryan

I have my father's bow (a Bear Re-curve, 55 lb.) and had the same idea, only I know nothing about bows. I took it to Cabela's and the people at the bow department were very helpful. The got the proper string, then measured the bow and me for arrows. The arrows had target tips which screw off to allow for broad heads. They also help me get some sights that I could use, and gave some pointers about shooting it.

The only thing they charged me for was the arrows and string, the installed the string and cut the arrows to length.

Most locals have a Bow Hunting/Shooting club. I found ours through the 4H clubs. They are big on archery and knew who to put me in contact with. Like rifle shooting, bow hunters are more then willing to help out new archery people.

Start with an archery shop with a knowledgable staff and have it checked out for function. You don't want to be shooting it when you find out the limbs have dry rot or are delaminating, or the string is on its last leg. Once you know it is good to go, the staff can measure you for proper draw length and recommend properly spend arrows and cut them to length. You can also likely get 1 on 1 instruction on how to shoot your bow. And, never dry fire your bow.

Archery talk is a good site along with bowhunting.com. Also google "traditional archery". Good advice above.
Bow hunting can be addictive, there's your one and only warning. Have fun and good luck hunting this fall.

I used to hunt with recurves and longbows quite a bit a few years back. They really are addicting to shoot and it is a rush like no other when you get a kill with one. With that bow i'd go with a 5575 goldtip and a heavy cut on contact 2 blade broadhead. Check out Tradgang, it has all you need to know and they are very helpful over there. Stick with it, it will be worth it!