• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

please identify this bullet.,Hornday SST150 grain?

turbohardtop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Austin, TX
I thought this was Hornady SST 150 grain bullet but what is this ring above the cannelure? I looked at other SST bullets but none of them has this ring. I bought these as blemished ones but they all have this ring on them.

IMG_0522.jpg

Re: please identify this bullet.,Hornday SST150 grain?

I think the SST has a Red tip. Is that one red?

First of all, did you weigh it?
That would give you a clue about part of the question.
Second, red tip would be Hornady.
Not a clear pic but I think I see the ring on the bullet. IMHO, it is not supposed to be there.

Looks to me like its a crimp, maybe they're pulled military bullets? I've never seen that green tip before.

the tip is red and the ring is is fairly deep and not a from a crimp. These weight right around 150 grains and I am sure they are not pulled.

Did you buy some blem bullets? I have seen wierd things like that on blems.

yes, these are blemished bullets. However, the ring is very consistent on all of the bullets I bought. very strange. I wonder if this would affect accuracy. I imagine the ring could cause the separation of the jacket at a lower speed.

Remington Accutip bullets look exactly like that, no ring on un-blem bullets, but all else looks the same.

Yeah I've seen brownish colored tips on their .17 hmr bullets being a blem and all... I'd just shoot it and see. I doubt anything would come of that ring. I've also seen upside-down "ballistic" tips too good luck!

IMAG0763.jpg

thanks 2Click for that picture. I am hoping that the ring would cause the bullet to expand at a lower speed. If so, I could use these in a 300blk for hunting pigs or deer. Anyone here load 300blk wanna try out some? I could send you some if you have the chance to hunt frequently.