• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Please recommend a good tri-pod for hunting........???

toader

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Looking for a GOOD QUALITY tri-pod to use with a Hog Saddle for hunting......trigger sticks just don't cut it!!

Thanks!!

1. Really Right Stuff w/ Anvil ball head
2. Feisol with RRS anvil head (this is what I have and love it)
3. I hear a lot of good things about kopfjager

Rekon CT-1 carbon fiber tripod......Good luck :cool:

I have and recommend the RRS TFCT 34L w/anvil head. A little heavier but rock solid and easy to shoot of off. I choose the long version so I don’t have to bend at all while looking through Binos.

What Harold said.

RRS if you have the $$. Feisol is very good at the orice point.

whatever you choose, ditch the hog saddle and go with an RRS ballhead/anvil/leveling base. Put an arca rail on your rifle.

Reactions: WoobieJ
I have ran the Leofoto 284c this season and it has been perfect for hunting. I have an ARCA on my binos and on my rifle and spotting scope - absolutely love it. Right size and weight for hunting IMO. Can’t say enough good things about it. The only “drawback” is you can’t glass from standing but that hasn’t affected me. Shot my Muley off of it just a few days ago. Got it off Amazon for mid $300’s

Attachments

• 92FB240E-0503-4701-83A1-E91F05A16FBE.jpeg
    92FB240E-0503-4701-83A1-E91F05A16FBE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 69
Leofoto 284c is about perfect. 3lbs and disappears in a pack pretty easily.

Do your self a favor and get the TFCT-34 Mk2SOAR® Series 3 Tripod with Anvil 30. Install a RRS rail to your rifle and it will be the most solid set up money can buy.
Ditch the hog saddle idea.
The 34 packs down small enough to attach to a day pack and is tall enough for standing shots.
Buy once cry once.
BE9351A3-8AAB-4E80-94E4-376A79B2CF7B.jpeg
37F5CBA3-2A2E-46B0-B81A-D8C6F5F53D39.jpeg

+ for the RRS with Anvil. It was designed specifically for hunting and it just works well. For the weight and size functionality i dont thing there is an equal setup out there as a total package. Ive got the QD attachments for a sling on it and just hiked it around for 3 days on day hikes and never once wished i didnt have it.

I use a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with Hog saddle. Sure there are new items (ARCA) but I have too many rifle and don't want to outfit them. I also assist others on hunts and we use my tripod quite a bit.
20200902_165424.jpg

20190505_135520.jpg

I love my field optics awesome tripod but kinda pricey

Attachments

• 20201121_104422.jpg
    20201121_104422.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 33
A lesser know brand that makes stout tripods that are cheaper than RRS is FLM. It is a German company, so depends on how important American Made is to you. Their tripods don't use a center column (personally I don't like center columns) and their carbon fiber tripods are rated from 44 pounds to 120 pounds.

I have yet to use a set of their tripod legs, but I have one of their ball heads and it is well made and highly functional. When I can justify upgrading I will be getting a set of their carbon fiber tripod legs.

Personally, having tripods with both twist lock and flip lock leg extensions I prefer a well designed twist lock. It is easy grab all of them and give a quarter twist to extend all leg sections, with the flip lock I have to unlock each leg section individually.

So this past weekend I had an opportunity to glass with and use a Kopfjager CF tripod with reaper grip. I really liked it for the price. It's not as versatile or light weight / refined as the Feisol with RRS ball head or RRS, but it is very good. The pan tilt head with reaper grip is heavy, but functions well. I think It would be a good starter tripod for someone who was initially not able to afford a Feisol / RRS combo or a RRS tripod and ballhead.

Do your self a favor and get the TFCT-34 Mk2SOAR® Series 3 Tripod with Anvil 30. Install a RRS rail to your rifle and it will be the most solid set up money can buy.
Ditch the hog saddle idea.
The 34 packs down small enough to attach to a day pack and is tall enough for standing shots.
Buy once cry once.
View attachment 7483072View attachment 7483073
beautiful setup. is that a rattle can or cerakote job on the RRS?

If your looking for more reasonable price tri pods Slik makes some good stuff i have 2 and really like them. You can also just buy the legs and get whatever head you want. Goodluck.

Reactions: toader
I just bought the FLM CP38-L4 II with a RRS Bh55 ballhead. I added a 100mm half ball to the tripod and like it a lot more than the standard plate that comes with it. Got it mainly because of the supporting weight which is 121 lbs and extends to 68" tall. Had an issue with a bolt and the customer service is top notch. Ari up in Canada was super fast in responding and sent the parts out the same day.

One thing no one mentions, that is weight.

I'm running a CF Manfrotto with Hog Saddle, and it's under 4-lbs. Same tripod with Anvil 30, and it's under 3-lbs.

Reactions: toader
I like my bog death grip. It is a little on the heavier side. Not being a ball swivel sucks but I found a guy who makes adapters so I install a ball swivel on it. Got the adapted but have not put it together yet.

Anyone know what happened to cruxord TK04 kits? I have one and haven’t seen them anywhere in stock. My friend wants one and even the Cruxord sits looks like they no longer exist.