• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PLRF-05 vs New Bushnell Fusion 1 mile arcs

Shoottothrill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
Now I know that the new Bushnell 1 mile Fusion Arcs aren't out yet, Feb. supposedly, but if they can range to a mile and have a more powerful Binocular than the PLRF 05 12x which would you choose and why. Seems price of the Bushnell's will still be less, assuming the 12x model will be around $1400.00. Interested on hearing other thought on the subject before laying out some serious cash for a quality rangefinder. I would like to be able to range to 2,000 yards minimum.

Re: PLRF-05 vs New Bushnell Fusion 1 mile arcs

Can't say on the new bushnell but my 2010 fusions do a mile and then some all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't say on the new bushnell but my 2010 fusions do a mile and then some all the time. </div></div>

I have the ARC 1600 monocular and it has a hard time on full size IPSC targets past about 1100 yards. Does ok on really large targets like trucks and bigger past 1100-1200 but any smaller than that and past 1100-1200 yards, it works maybe 1 in 20 times. If you want reliable ranging on IPSC size targets to 2000 and beyond, go with the terrapin. I have recently started using a Terrapin and I'll never go back.

They really improved the new Bushnells'... they got rid of the blue color, it's a much better picture now. They changed the display to view with the truer picture, so you can see it.

In terms of the Bushnell engine it's definitely one of the better ones. I am big Vectronix Fan, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Bushnell.

I can email them and ask about getting some out for a review as they had them at SHOT and I was really happy with the improvements they made. Bushnell always under promises and over performs when it comes to their lasers.

That would be great Frank. I would love to see how good the new ones work and be tested on a level that people on this site would use them.

im not sure what if any the internal differences are on the fusion to the mono but i have never seen the mono perform even remotely close to what the fucion will do and i have had both. fusion ranges far better, faster and smaller targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im not sure what if any the internal differences are on the fusion to the mono but i have never seen the mono perform even remotely close to what the fucion will do and i have had both. fusion ranges far better, faster and smaller targets. </div></div>

Ah well that's good to know. I was unaware of the big difference between the two.

Here were the new Bushnells' at SHOT

537193_10151439010347953_419417928_n.jpg

I believe they actually have 3 models of the 1 Mile ARC Fusions

I would really like to hear your review of them Lowlight. I really want to be able to hit the 2,000 yard mark with a range finder for under $2,000.00. I like the fact that the fusions have the 12x bino's. I also know that the terrapin has a huge following and great reviews. Cost is somewhat a factor, but buy once cry once applies here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if only they made those stabilized.
</div></div>

X1 once you go stabilized its hard to go back

If you want to range small targets at long distance, beam divergence is very important. The terrapins is .4 mils x 2 mils, the old Bushnells were 2 mils x4 mils. If the new Bushys have the same divergence as the old ones you will still have problems with small targets at long range.

My fusions is no where near that big. I have looked at it through my night vision and it looks more in the .5-.8 range but the beam obviously pulses so its a little hard to say. Ranging targets at extended distances isn't always about actually ranging the target but as much about being able to range the nearest feature close to it. Try ranging something like a groundhog on flat ohio ground at 800yds. I don't care whose handheld range finder you have it isn't going to tell you whether you're ranging dirt or the hog. You sometimes still have to use good ol fashion intelligence to problem solve for field firing solutions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im not sure what if any the internal differences are on the fusion to the mono but i have never seen the mono perform even remotely close to what the fucion will do and i have had both. fusion ranges far better, faster and smaller targets. </div></div>

Ah well that's good to know. I was unaware of the big difference between the two. </div></div>

I had a long talk with the technical marketing rep for Bushnell this last week and this was one of my questions. The answer, once you hear it, is obvious. The larger the objective the more sensitive the receiver. So, with all else being equal, the larger objective will range further, more accurately, faster, etc.

John

My biggest problem with the fusions, and it may just be me, but I get dizzy as hell trying to range with them since the display is only in one eye. Maybe I never got them adjusted perfectly or something, but I would end up closing the one eye when I was trying to range.

Granted this was only on a pair I picked up for a buddy and I played around with them before giving them to him.

I've gotten 4km+ out of the vectronix.
20121019_182908.jpg

It ranged every single thing I went after that was less than 4km. The light was failing so I couldn't get a good post 4km hit.

The Bushnell fusions beam divergence is 2x4 mils. It's sad but it's true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe they actually have 3 models of the 1 Mile ARC Fusions </div></div>

Yup. 8x, 10x and 12x.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gotten 4km+ out of the vectronix.
20121019_182908.jpg

It ranged every single thing I went after that was less than 4km. The light was failing so I couldn't get a good post 4km hit. </div></div>

Totally off the subject but....

Man that is a nice through the scope type pic. How did you get such a nice pic? Have some sort of kit?

05 on a tripod, then an android phone oddly enough (galaxy note). Did take good pics. Some is helped by the fact that the rubber eyepiece on the PLRF is perfect distance for phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">05 on a tripod, then an android phone oddly enough (galaxy note). Did take good pics. Some is helped by the fact that the rubber eyepiece on the PLRF is perfect distance for phone.</div></div>

Well you did a hell of a job. I have tried taking pics through a terrapin and have never had that good of luck lol. Guess I need a tripod as that would make it a little easier.

I've had the Fusion 1600 10x Binos/LRF combo. They worked, but after buying a Terrapin, there is no way in hell I'd ever willing go back to them. The Terrapin is a superior product. You can't argue this.

I have not seen the new "1 mile" Bushnells in person so I can't speak for them specifically.

Agree with Trevor - Had the 10x Fusions, 12x Fusions, and the ARC1600. I will say unequivocally that once you have the Vector, your Rangefinder hunt ends. ENDS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They really improved the new Bushnells'... they got rid of the blue color, it's a much better picture now. They changed the display to view with the truer picture, so you can see it.

In terms of the Bushnell engine it's definitely one of the better ones. I am big Vectronix Fan, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Bushnell.

I can email them and ask about getting some out for a review as they had them at SHOT and I was really happy with the improvements they made. Bushnell always under promises and over performs when it comes to their lasers. </div></div>

Have they fixed the brightness issues in the fusions? I sold mine because in bright daylight I had a hard time picking up the display, a problem I never had with the G7, vectronix, or swaro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They really improved the new Bushnells'... they got rid of the blue color, it's a much better picture now. They changed the display to view with the truer picture, so you can see it.

I can email them and ask about getting some out for a review as they had them at SHOT and I was really happy with the improvements they made. Bushnell always under promises and over performs when it comes to their lasers. </div></div>

Have they fixed the brightness issues in the fusions? I sold mine because in bright daylight I had a hard time picking up the display, a problem I never had with the G7, vectronix, or swaro. </div></div>

Supposedly, yes....

I emailed Bushnell last week with a couple questions. They finally have specs posted on their site now. I've been keeping an eye on availability, but it sounds like it will be late Fed at the earliest. Unfortunately, only a select few will be dealing these. They will only be available from Cabelas, Gander, Sportsmans Whse, Bass Pro and Amazon.

As far as Bushnell laser vs Terrapin. I'd say it's a no brainer, the Terrapin will be much better. But it all comes down to what other features you want, if any. For me I've been looking to consolidate my LRF and bino for a few years now, and since Bushnell has made some much needed upgrades, I'll probably be giving the new Fusions a try.

Scott at Liberty Optics was also pretty impressed with the new changes and glass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here were the new Bushnells' at SHOT

537193_10151439010347953_419417928_n.jpg

I believe they actually have 3 models of the 1 Mile ARC Fusions </div></div>

Chinese quality at its best!!!

$1000 for 8x32, $1200 for 10x42, and $1300 for the 12x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gotten 4km+ out of the vectronix.
20121019_182908.jpg

It ranged every single thing I went after that was less than 4km. The light was failing so I couldn't get a good post 4km hit. </div></div>

sweet.... if your calling in a air strike
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bushnell fusions beam divergence is 2x4 mils. It's sad but it's true. </div></div>

anyone chk this with some NV's?

i have a NV and was planing on doing it, but have not had the chance yet..

I've Checked my fusion and I have the first gen. The beam is not 2x4 mil. Mine is closer to 1mil maybe .8 ish. It pulses so its a little hard to be exact but I marked a target and checked it and where it hits compared to the aim point in the eyepiece

I would really like to hear your review of them Lowlight. I really want to be able to hit the 2,000 yard mark with a range finder for under $2,000.00. I like the fact that the fusions have the 12x bino's. I also know that the terrapin has a huge following and great reviews. Cost is somewhat a factor, but buy once cry once applies here.

Any release date?

Test/reviews?

Its the end of Feb this week.

I'm having them put one in with the shipment of the 1-8.5x scope for review in late July. I'll write something up on it but this isn't going to be a big rangefinder review with a bunch of products. I just figured that since they were sending the package anyway I might as well have a look at them. There is a plan, in the future, to allow for the input of custom ballistic information into the rangefinder. I really want to relegate ballistic tables and equations to the backup role by having this integrated with the rangefinder so for a product to really blow up my skirt it has to do this. Still, I thought that having a look at the unit and seeing how much range and reliability it has in practice would be worthwhile.

Next year I am planning on a big rangefinder round up. I'm betting that, given another year, more companies will follow Leica's lead with the Geovid range finding binoculars they released this year.

On a general note, with range finders, I think that we are not so much dealing with a buy once cry once product. The progression in these is more similar to the progression in electronics products than the progression in traditional optics. You may find that buying a $3,000 Leica today will only range as well as a $600 product in five years though it will still look like a $3,000 binocular. I agree that at some point we all have to take the plunge but I think a very important part of that decision will be choosing just how far we need to be able to range and how good we want the optic to look. I do not think that laser range finders will hold their value to the degree that traditional optics have. To that extent, I don't believe that working your way up the tree by buying and selling products as you get the money is going to be a good strategy. I think that careful consideration of exactly what you want the rangefinder to do and waiting until you have a product that can do everything you want is in order. For me that means it must have a full ballistic calculator that includes angle of inclination, range (reliably to at least 1,000), preferably pressure/altitude, and allows for custom ballistic information. All this must be in a binocular of the quality that it can serve for target location. I would also prefer an 8x32mm platform because it is smaller and steadier for long times behind the glass. In essence, it will take all of that to get me commit because I don't think that, 5 years down the road, I am going to be able to get 80% of the value I have in it back out. Its not buy once, cry once, so much as buy once because your stuck with it.

In essence, it will take all of that to get me commit because I don't think that, 5 years down the road, I am going to be able to get 80% of the value I have in it back out. Its not buy once, cry once, so much as buy once because your stuck with it.

I think you're right. It is more like buying a computer where you buy what you need knowing that it will eventually be obseleted by the time you get a new one. I ended up buying a used Leica 1600 and by the time I sold it for a Terrapin, I had lost $300 in the transaction. And no doubt you will be able to buy the equivalent of a Terrapin for less money in a few years, but the Leica wasn't cutting it and I got a good deal, so I swapped them out.

I can email them and ask about getting some out for a review as they had them at SHOT and I was really happy with the improvements they made. Bushnell always under promises and over performs when it comes to their lasers.

Thats a good idea. Have you heard anything on a test pair yet?

the 4000yard measurement on PRLF05 is fun, but not the way I measure performance. I own the PRLF05 btw, and got rid of a Bushnell, so I am Vectro fan.

The way to measure any laser ranging device is not at sunset or dawn, but during the day with alot of IR interference from ambient sun light. The sun is a huge emitter of all wavelengths of IR, and those IR photons compete at the receiver with the transmitting lasers photosn. And then you have the next challenge, which is low reflectivity targets like rocks, and other things you might want to shoot at, which reduces the amount of photons bouncing back towards the receiver. For that I have tested extensively here in North Cal with our rock/dirt composition in high desert, and I can say the limit of the PRLF05 is at noon is around 1800-1900 yards.

In LRF's, the laser quality is important, the collimation optics important (beam divergence), and the receiving optics important. How much and how sharp they can pulse the laser is quite a tricky engineering task without using alot of batt power. Fast/sharp provides for a low measurement uncertainty. I think you nominally get what you pay for just like you normally get in the optic device game.

I would not be surprised to learn that Bushnell has a sloppier beam, and more uncertainty, less max daylight range, etc... I think they can close the gap with enough R&D. But like others I was tired of trying middle of the road and not being able to range to the mile. I just wanted the game over with and give me something that I know is superb engineering and then we have a shot, so to speak.

p.s. there are easily sunlight angle cases in which the PRLF05 won't image out to 1800 yards either, but I think those are rare and contrived.

Last edited:
Any release date?

Test/reviews?

Its the end of Feb this week.

I came to learn that Eurooptics will also be dealing in these.....I pre-ordered them quite some time ago. I was told by Bushnell at that time that they were expecting them in the first week of March. They would then have to go through a 7-10 day quality control process before being shipped off to dealers. When I ordered from Euro I was told 8-12 weeks, that was Feb 11.

I'm with cali_tz. I got tired of the middle if the road LRF's not performing like advertised and just broke down and got the Terrapin. Best fuckin decision to date. It will range damn near anything I need it to way better than any bushnell or the like LRF ever did any probably ever will.

I think the majority of us interested in the 1 miles are also wanting the bino feature. Everyone knows the Terrapins can't be touched by anything on the market or anything close to being on the market. We are comparing apples to oranges here. I'm glad I found this post as I about went with the new Leica Geovids. I have a feeling I'm gonna save myself a couple stacks! Now if the Geovids had a way to measure wind it would be game over for all lrf/kestrels/ballistic programs.

[MENTION=77959]mikeltee[/MENTION] get the new model geovids that just came out a month ago (or so)

Anyone used these new ones yet? I'm looking at $1,200 for the 10x but frack....should I just save another $800 and get the Vectronix? Are the Vectronix ever less than $2k anywhere or on sale?

Anyone used these new ones yet? I'm looking at $1,200 for the 10x but frack....should I just save another $800 and get the Vectronix? Are the Vectronix ever less than $2k anywhere or on sale?

You will not regret buying a Terrapin. It does what it is supposed to do... Every time.

I have the 10x 1600 fusion arc binos... At 25y the beam measured .5wX2h inch...
So at 100 should be 2x8" that .55mills wide by 2.3 mills tall ish...

Just tested with NV now....

As long as your NEEDS don't change, and the device is not broken ... it is not obsoleted. My perspective is that if something is 'must have', I buy the best I can and make it work for as long as I can ... waiting for my funds / technology to catch up with my real needs.

Marketing is the art of turning wants into needs.

I haven't seen either discounted over $100. Because the Bushnell have more retailers that will likely occur before there will be a discount on the Vectronix models. If you were set on a Terrapin I'd look for a used one here or a demo from eurooptic or one of the other SH sellers.

We should have one inbound when they are available.

I do agree with Frank. Bushnell has a habit of delivering more than was promised when it comes to value and utility. I am thoroughly satisfied with the Elite 1600 ARC. I can't wait to try the new Fusion in a field environment.

We should have one inbound when they are available.

I do agree with Frank. Bushnell has a habit of delivering more than was promised when it comes to value and utility. I am thoroughly satisfied with the Elite 1600 ARC. I can't wait to try the new Fusion in a field environment.

I'm very much looking forward to a heads up comparison in raging ability vs the standard 1600 Fusion. I gave them (The Mile) a great look at the NRA convention, the fit/feel, glass, color and LED inside the lens when ranging is far superior but didn't have a chance to actually range anything past 150 yds inside the convention center.

I consistently range between 1750 and 1850 yds (never hit 1900 yet) with my 10x Fusion but unless the "Mile" can bang 2000 consistently...I don't see the need to upgrade yet.