• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes PLRF-10 & Multiple Target Function

Tribe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
Wetside, WA
Can someone please school me on proper use & application of the "Multiple Target Function" on the PLRF?

Re: PLRF-10 & Multiple Target Function

From page 17 of my User's Manual (I haven't used my PLRF-10 in this mode):

"Multiple object measurement

Up to three separate distances in the line of sight can be obtained with a single measurement.

To use this feature, '3don' must be activated via the configuration menu (see page 18) A flashing display indicates that more than one distance has been detected.

Click the distance key repeatedly to scroll through all obtained distances. The order of the displayed ranges is: strongest, second strongest and third strongest detected echo."

Yeah.... that's about as far as I got....
crazy.gif

I'm having a hard time understanding the practical application.... as opposed to taking three measurements.... there is a concept I'm missing here...

My interpretation based on other lrf devices: If you are ranging an object but there are multiple reflections you can disregard the readings that appear to be wrong.

For instance, ranging an object through some trees may give a reading for the trees and the target you want at the same time. But the lrf doesn't know about the trees in the way. In traditional ranging it may give the reading of the biggest reflection (the trees) which is wrong. If you can get multiple readings and clearly know the trees are too close on one of the readings you can ignore it and use the other readings that are likely more correct.

Or consider the reverse. You are lasing an animal that is in front of a woodline. A traditional lrf may give a distance, but maybe the reflection it sees is the big one from the trees and not the animal? In that case your range is going to be way off. A smarter lrf will give multiple readings so the operator can make a decision which to accept and which to ignore. Instead of getting one reading which could be who knows what, the lrf is giving you all the data to make a choice.

In a practical sense I'll give you an example. Recently I was shooting at a steel target that was around 900 yards away. I lased it about six times and it showed 910 yards. But my eyeball said it was closer. I then milled it. The mills said it was 875 yards. That's a big difference for that range. But hey it's a laser and can't be wrong, right? So I dialed dope for 910...and shot over the target.

Actual range was 870. The laser was ranging a tree that was behind the actual target giving me the bad reading. If I had multiple readings that wouldn't have happened.

There's another lesson here, too. Milling is not dead yet! I always mil now and lase unknown distances as a cross check regardless of the laser brand.

Nailed it..... Thanks!

You must be mighty tight with that mil dot... You make great points, and I've always disliked putting all my faith in a digital readout.... but I've got a looooong way to go, before I'm remotely that confident in my milling... I could probably use some real training from someone who actually knows WTH they are doing...
wink.gif

Thanks for the interpretation.... much appreciated.

Mils lose a lot of their accuracy the further you go out because the target size, mirage and other factors make it hard to get the 0.1mil or better resolution you need to make an accurate call.

BUT, sometimes mils work when a LRF will not. When I've shot in bad weather the LRF may not give a good reading, but the mils always work if you can see the target.

The LRFs interpretation of multiple reflections is going to favor the bigger bounce in every LRF I've tried out. So now I always cross-check with mils if there is a doubt at extended ranges. In fact, I will mil first and write down my guess. Then I will use the LRF to verify the range. This gives immediate feedback to sharpen the skill.

Yeah.... I think at the ranges where the PLRF becomes "handy"... the mil dot, becomes less so....