• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF 308 Question

SeanPOF308

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2011
Am I feeding my gun incorrectly? Here is the method I've been using to change magazines, after the bolt is locked back I drop the mag, insert a new one, and then press the forward assist (not sure if that is the correct term)to snap the bolt forward. On a couple of magazines yesterday the 1st bullet wouldn't chamber all the way, sort of get stuck halfway there.

Should I be releasing the bolt forward, then manually pulling back on the charge handle and letting it snap forward?

Sorry for the poor terminology, noob for sure.

Re: POF 308 Question

After inserting the mag, just press the bolt release on your left side, or just use you charge handle.

As mentioned, just press the bolt release. You can then tap the forward assist to ensure the bolt is fully forward and locked. Just remember if the bolt doesn't want to close <span style="font-style: italic">do not</span> continue to pound on the forward assist. It probably means you have an out of spec cartridge, dirty chamber, etc. and jamming the cartridge in there will only make matters worse...

Bolt release, which is on the right (and the left I think), which snaps the bolts forward....

Like I said, it seems with this method I was getting misfeeds on that first bullet. The bullet would only slide halfway out the pmag, and bolt would be stuck half-way forward....

The "forward assist" is circle in yellow below. The Bolt releases (ambi-bolt releases on the P-308 rifles/carbines) are circled in red.

2hzqtyo.jpg

With the Magpul 20LR PMAGs, I can insert a fully loaded mag and lock it in place with the bolt closed (which I routinely do). The obvious method in that circumstance is just to operate the charging handle normally. If you are loading a magazine into the rifle with the bolt locked back, just hit the bolt release on either side of the receiver and let the bolt close. There is zero need/desire to use the charging handle in that instance as it just creates more work/movement. Use the forward assist if you are unsure if the round chambered properly or to otherwise "assist" in chambering.

ETA: Credit to POF whose photos I "borrowed" for explanation purposes!
wink.gif

Oh, I gotcha now. Either way is fine, although I would expect tapping on the forward assist would require the least amount of extra movement and effort if you're ever in a hurry (competition, combat, etc.).

^^^ what he said

Thank you. So my rifle must be malfunctioning then? Like I've said (my posts have been unclear) when I use the bolt release it jams. The first round was only getting halfway out of the magazine, and jamming the bolt halfway through its travel... Is this because its new? I have never had a misfire/jam while firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The "forward assist" is circle in yellow below. The Bolt releases (ambi-bolt releases on the P-308 rifles/carbines) are circled in red.

2hzqtyo.jpg

With the Magpul 20LR PMAGs, I can insert a fully loaded mag and lock it in place with the bolt closed (which I routinely do). The obvious method in that circumstance is just to operate the charging handle normally. If you are loading a magazine into the rifle with the bolt locked back, just hit the bolt release on either side of the receiver and let the bolt close. There is zero need/desire to use the charging handle in that instance as it just creates more work/movement. Use the forward assist if you are unsure if the round chambered properly or to otherwise "assist" in chambering.

ETA: Credit to POF whose photos I "borrowed" for explanation purposes!
wink.gif
</div></div>

Could be the magazine and it might loosen up the more you use it. I've had the same thing happen on AR-15 mags...

Thanks Luke, I appreciate your input. I will monitor the problem and see if it returns next time.

You probably ought to try a different mag (not a different brand...just another mag). It is possible (likely) that is your problem. Also, try downloading the mags by 1 round from full capacity and see if that solves the problem. If so, like Luke said, your mag springs may just be tight and need a little "break-in" time

Yeah, these were all brand new pmags, right from the factory. Just received 5 of them....
smile.gif

dont use the forward assist unless youve already dropped the bolt onto yer new round and it just isnt all the way home. pretty sure you could break a bolt catch driving the forward assist with the bolt locked open.

Your bolt release should allow the bolt to strip a round out of the mag and feed it regardless of the number of rounds in the mag. Are you using "Factory new" ammo? If you're using reloads that were not "small-base" sized they may not feed. Believe it or not, some who reload don't know there's a difference.

I had the same problem on an AR15 too. It was with a pmag, but my mag had substantial use. Once I replaced the mag, the problem dissapeared. Magpul has wonderful customer service if it is the mag, and will send you another one for free.