• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF-USA?

Rollinheavy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2012
Been saving up some cash to get one of these and I hit the brakes after doing a little digging. What is up with these guys? I watched a video online where they were advertising come out with the .243 & .300WSM, i was PUMPED when i saw i could get the whole thing in the "NP3" coating and ba-boom. . . . . nothing. How do you advertise a product like that @ shot-show and not actually make the product. That's like Range Rover releasing the Evoque prototype and then say ...just teasing ya?

Anyways, i do quite a bit of Yote hunting and i'm trading in the bolt for an AR. I really have wanted one of these since i saw one of them @ a gun show. They are pure sex. I really don't shoot enough for it to "fail"....it's not going to be a life or death piece of equipment if you get my drift. SO anyways, i am leaning towards the .308...where can i pick one up? I take some long shots so i need the longer barrel. I have a few nice trades if anyone has one their looking to sell but I don't want anything used.....Hope to hear some responses

Re: POF-USA?

Hmm, you could probably avoid all manufacturers if you don't want to buy from a company that shows something at SHOT and then fails to or is delayed in releasing it - happens all the time.

Exactly how far do you plan on shooting, and are you SURE you need a long barrel? My GAP-10 308 Win has an 18.5" barrel. I've only shot it to 700 yards, but I was getting first round hits on a small steel plate at that distance, and I'll assure you the bullets (155gr Scenars in my case) still had plenty of energy for a coyote at that distance.

waited 9 months for a 14 week 'quote'. were not easy to get a hold of......

they had several delivery issues from their suppliers, as explained. But........I think I would go another route - like GAP or PWS.

If you like the POF design check out Hoganguns.com

For what its worth, My personal choice is Leitner-Wise Defense

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been saving up some cash to get one of these and I hit the brakes after doing a little digging. What is up with these guys? I watched a video online where they were advertising come out with the .243 & .300WSM, i was PUMPED when i saw i could get the whole thing in the "NP3" coating and ba-boom. . . . . nothing. How do you advertise a product like that @ shot-show and not actually make the product. That's like Range Rover releasing the Evoque prototype and then say ...just teasing ya?

Anyways, i do quite a bit of Yote hunting and i'm trading in the bolt for an AR. I really have wanted one of these since i saw one of them @ a gun show. They are pure sex. I really don't shoot enough for it to "fail"....it's not going to be a life or death piece of equipment if you get my drift. SO anyways, i am leaning towards the .308...where can i pick one up? I take some long shots so i need the longer barrel. I have a few nice trades if anyone has one their looking to sell but I don't want anything used.....Hope to hear some responses

</div></div>

From what I heard (read) somewhere, they were having issues with the magazines for the 300WSM and it has delayed the release. When you combine that with their legal troubles, everything got backed up for awhile but they are now producing rifles again. It's not uncommon for a vendor to showcase something at SHOT and not produce it because if they don't get the reception for the product that they feel is good enough to justify the cost in producing, they will shelf the whole idea rather than produce it and have a low buyers market. You should give them a call and inquire about when or if they plan on releasing it anytime soon.

The lowest price P308 20" you will find anywhere is on Gunbroker ($2,425) and it's NIB, but...I'm not sure you'll want it because it's entirely black.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=268470740

pix986762619.jpg

pix298689790.jpg

pix263991116.jpg

The aforementioned GAP-10 is also a great choice and although it isn't gas piston operated, the upper and lower is provided by POF and it's a tack driver.

I got my POF through Frankie Ice here on the 'Hide. Great guy to deal with.
Ken

I'm actually very interested in that all Black. Couldn't i get it CeraKoted silver anyways???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm actually very interested in that all Black. Couldn't i get it CeraKoted silver anyways???</div></div>

Yes, you can, or you could send it to <span style="font-weight: bold">Robar Guns</span> and have the entire rifle coated in NP3+ like you originally wanted for the .300WSM.

I've been real happy with my P308 with a 16" barrel. I'm not a particularly fine shot, but this rifle is plenty accurate for me. I've only taken it out to 600 yds so far. Ringing 8" steel at this distance is no problem using Corbon 168gr TTSX. I avg 2550 fps from this ammo in this barrel, so about 1578 fps at 600 yds, enough for decent expansion.

Anyone had any work done by Robar? I saw the work order...it looks like they're pretty expensive.....

I don't really have many shot ops for 600+ yards....i would say at the max 350....anything beyond that i'd probably take a crack. Most of the hunting we do is in bottoms...ridges.....shots could range from 20 feet to 200 yds. SO i'm thinking i could go with the 16 or 18.....barrel and that would suit me fine.

If i can get my hands on that black one on GB i will...

You don't need the longer barrel. 16" is more than good enough for distance. It is good enough for more than twice the 350 yd max you stated. GAP makes an excellent gun but for all but the best precision AR driver you are going to see the same results with either. Both are very accurate semis. As to color, you are going to paint it anyway for yote hunting...right? The good thing with a GAP is you get it the way you want it. I had too add a Gieselle trigger and PRS to my POF to suit me. POF is piston and GAP is DI....depends on your needs.

Sports World here in tulsa has the Robar 16.5 in for sale, in stock right now, for the same price as that black one. I'm sure they could ship it to you if you call them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sports World here in tulsa has the Robar 16.5 in for sale, in stock right now, for the same price as that black one. I'm sure they could ship it to you if you call them.</div></div>

There ya go, RollinHeavy. Only a phone call away from having the rifle you want.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sports World here in tulsa has the Robar 16.5 in for sale, in stock right now, for the same price as that black one. I'm sure they could ship it to you if you call them. </div></div>

Which one do they have? It's totally NP3 or it looks stock to the NP3 POF?....I actually don't care if it has color i'm not painting it. By the time they have a chance to see me....that better be a dead Yote. Or he better be avoiding some serious lead.
I really don't want to have it painted. If you guys say the 16.5 is plenty i believe you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWEEEEET........do they take any trades in that place?..</div></div>

I'm thinking they do but don't quote me on that. The best thing to do is give them a call tomorrow and find out what kinda deal you/they can work up. Consider yourself warned though, the owner is a major asshole on a good day so hopefully you won't get him on the phone.

I have heard that about the owner, but the staff has taken great care of me, and they worked one trade deal for me, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWEEEEET........do they take any trades in that place?..</div></div>

I'm thinking they do but don't quote me on that. The best thing to do is give them a call tomorrow and find out what kinda deal you/they can work up. Consider yourself warned though, the owner is a major asshole on a good day so hopefully you won't get him on the phone. </div></div>

Great, i'm sure with my luck he'll be in tomorrow right about the time i call.

I have WIN Model 75 i want to part with. Was told it was worth around $1200-$1300....I WOULD TAKE MUCH LESS...and a few other guns. Anyways, i guess i'll lay plastic in the meantime!

Was also considering a NXS 3.5X15X50MM for a scope.......anyone have any input on the nightforce? I haven't looked through one yet but have heard they are nice. I have always used Leupold scopes on everything, I have probably bought 15 of them.....they're very good scopes but i'm changing it up for this rifle.

Truthfully, ever since i looked through a 4x32 ACOG i have always wanted to buy one of those. What do you guys think about putting the ACOG on the POF for 100-300yd shots? Would i be better of to go with the NXS?

I love everything about the ACOG. It looks like something i could drag through the brush and say that thing is TOUGH!...

THANKS!

In my opinion, if you're building a CQB rifle then the ACOG would be the best option. If you're wanting an SPR (precision rifle), the NXS would be the better choice.

I've owned two NXS' prior to the one I have now with all three being 5.5-22x50mm and they're great optics!

Pretty sure Frankie Ice has at least one 308 in stock. Check out his end of year post in Group Buy section. $2250 plus shipping. He's a great guy to deal with.

Killshot that rifle you have in the picture is legit. I just know i'm not going to need that much scope. It's not that i won't need it, i'm just sure i won't have time for it.....

A 10x variable is suited well to those rifles and I have a 1.8-10 on mine. It is enough glass for the 7-800 max I shoot the rifle and for and up close hunting. You could always put whatever glass you want and an offset micro red dot for the best of both worlds. The Trijicon is nice but you will be missing so much of the accuracy potential of the rifle with the 4x in addition to the fact these guns are big, bulky and heavy.....I think they are much more suited to SPR vs CQB. Its all personal preference though. Here is mine with scope.

2011-05-02130034Medium.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Freddy J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty sure Frankie Ice has at least one 308 in stock. Check out his end of year post in Group Buy section. $2250 plus shipping. He's a great guy to deal with.
</div></div>

Before you purchase from Frankie, ask what rail system it is. The newer POF has the HSR whereas the older rail is the Predator style. The HSR is the better of the two.

I put a Nightforce 3.5 X 15 X 50 on my AR platform and am really pleased with it.

I also have an EOTech 557 that I switch out from time to time and like the different four dot hold-overs for different distances.

Have an 5.5 X 22 X 50 on my GAP bolt gun so was familiar with Nightforce when I got my AR.

Other option to think about for optics is the NXS 2-10X. Smaller than the big 5.5-22 or 3.5-15, same quality, and more than enough for 350 yards. Or, I have the Valdada Spartan 2-12X and love it on my P308.
As far as choice of caliber, hard to go wrong with the 308. My short barreled P308 gets me out pretty darned far, and I love the accuracy of it.

I got my P308 through Frankie Ice and his old group buy thread. He was really cool, easy to deal with, let me put some money down and make payments.

shooting16.jpg

Like Killshot said mine has the older style rail. I paid $2400 shipped. 20" barrel, NP3 coated upper/lower and internals.Mine came with a decent POF hard case, Vltor stock, the muzzle brake and Ergo grip in the picture and a Vtac sling. All of the NP3 is crazy slick and the action is super smooth with the NP3'd BCG and roller cam. So far I haven't had any troubles other than not having time to shoot it more. Just got a few different types of ammo to try in it. So far the FGMM 175's have shot under an inch at 100 and I think with more practice I can definitely shrink the groups up.Right now I have a Burris XTR 6-24x on top and an offset mount Docter red dot for close shots. I'm making payments on a Bushnell HDMR 3-20x that will replace the Burris. Looking forward to that upgrade.

You might want to check with Frankie, maybe has access to more of them, I think he got rid of all the older models though.

If you are looking for other calibers you should call GA Precision or check out their site. I have seen 6.5CM and 6mmCM and I think 260 from them also. Hell you can't go wrong with anything GAP puts out.

ggmanning is spot on. The P308 is fairly heavy and is, in my opinion, better suited to SPR than CQB. I put a NF F1 on mine with a PRS stock and bipod and she weighs in at a bit more than 14 lbs loaded. The F1 is 3.5-15X which is very easy on my slowly diminishing eyesight, but 10X will be plenty if you are going to keep your range to ~300 yds.

If all your are planning is to pop yotes at less than 300yds, you can do that with a 5.56. The POF P415 is much lighter, and cheaper to shoot. If you hunt deer or hogs, then the P308 is a better solution IMO. I shoot a P415 with a 16.5" barrel, EMOD stock, 6X optics and a Geissele SSA trigger, and can keep it to ~1.5 MOA at 400 yds.

+1 on Frankie Ice. He is good to go.

I messaged Frankie. Hopefully we can get the ball rolling. Thanks a lot everyone.

The .308 is the now, i think i would eventually like to get the 5.56 in the SABR model. This is my first experience with an AR to tell you guys the truth. I want to eventually hunt deer with it...i'm sold on the POF. Looks like the night force will be the optic....my wife is going to kill me!

So what am i going to pay for a GAP-10....am i saving any cash if i went that route?

5luy881wkw1oxoraj45g.jpg

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="color: #CC0000">GAP-10 INFO FROM GA PRECISION.COM</span></span> <-- LINK

Its DI gas operated instead of piston, so you should be able to run the POF dirtier for longer. That is a benefit you might never need. It might not run on as wide a variety of ammo (mainly the cheap stuff) as well as the POF because of its tighter chamber, again that might not matter to you. It also would be very slightly more accurate than the POF. It is built for flat out precision while the idea behind the design of the POF is "relentless reliability." The POF is plenty accurate and the GAP-10 ought to run a whole lot of rounds before needing cleaning but I'd say the POF could go longer without cleaning and the GAP-10 will out shoot the POF.

P308-20-11H-308-B.jpg

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="color: #CC0000">POF-USA.COM</span></span> <-- LINK

They share common parts like the upper and lower receiver, the rail and the trigger. They both use high quality custom barrels, one Bartlein and the other Rock Creek. POF uses extra treatments that they say adds much longer life to their barrels and also has NP3 treatment on a lot of the parts. The BCG is very slick and cycles smooth with the roller cam

Price on the GAP-10 right now (from their site), with the oldschool A2 stock is $2,560.00

Price on the NP3 P308 right now (from their site) with the MOE grip and buttstock is $2,999.00

You might find the P308 cheaper from somewhere other than POF's site. Try Frankie Ice's email [email protected] if you don't hear back soon from a pm.

The guys from GAP are always on this site and have been really helpful with anything I have asked them. They put out quality work and stand behind it.

As far as POF goes, Frankie Ice is the only one I have dealt with and he was great but he doesn't work for them. I see Frank DeSoma of POF post on here every once in while and I hear their CS is much better than it was a while back.

Most people are hardcore for their brand. You usually don't see too many who shoot an LMT, POF, KAC, Armalite or OBR telling you that you cannot go wrong buying any other brand than what they are shooting. Many people who shoot those ^ WILL say that you cannot go wrong buying a GAP-10 and that says a lot.

I have multiple POF rifles and I am very happy with the accuracy and reliability.

I run them in 3 gun and sniper comps and I have had very good results using their products.

So you can buy with confidence.

I have a POF with the old rail, and a new one with the new rail. The new one feels pretty light to me. All I have is an Acog on it.

I definitely want the new rail, i used to tow around the old Remington 22-250 Varmint, after a while you get used to the weight but it's not something i strive for. This gun just won't go the range, we will do some long walking together, climb into some narly sets, what i've found is if it's heavy, it's usually built to last...

My family has a farm in KY. Also last year towards the end of rifle we weren't seeing ANY deer, so i said the hell with these deer. Grabbed my mojo critter and Foxpro and off we went....i shot 2 coyotes last year and 2 bobcats within 3 days during rifle and saw no deer so i went for where the action was good.....so what usually happens when you do this.........

Here he comes...in all his glory. The biggest one i have ever seen in my life. If i had to guess i would say 160-170 class deer. Steps out of a thicket approx 297 yards away. There was no way i was killing this deer with a 22-250. From that day forward i vowed to get the AR in 308.....i just couldn't justify taking that shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here he comes...in all his glory. The biggest one i have ever seen in my life. If i had to guess i would say 160-170 class deer. <span style="font-weight: bold">Steps out of a thicket approx 297 yards away. There was no way i was killing this deer with a 22-250.</span> From that day forward i vowed to get the AR in 308.....i just couldn't justify taking that shot. </div></div>You probably made the right decision by not shooting if you didn't feel like it would have worked but, the 22-250 is really flat shooting.

I think if a good high shoulder shot presented itself at 300 yards then that 160-170" buck could have been dropped right where he stood.

whitetailvitals_bones-1.jpg

Anything 223 and up will turn the lights off with <span style="font-weight: bold">proper placement.</span>

If you have practiced at 300 then I would not hesitate on taking that shot next time with the 22-250.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Properly placed</span> neck shots are deadly also if the shoulder is not an option.

What I said would depend on you and the rifle being accurate and proficient at that range.

Just as an example: A 55 grain projectile out of a 22-250 is going to be traveling right at, if not over 2,200 fps at 300 yards and is one of the flattest shooting cartridges out there to around 300 yards.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Like I said, you probably made the right decision by not shooting if you didn't feel like it would have worked, just saying that it can definitely be done if the conditions are right, you have a good rest and previous experience/accuracy at that range.</span>

I have my Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 coming some time in March. I cant wait to see what My P308 can do with glass on it. I have managed to get 1 7/8 group with just troy BUIS at 100 and hit man sized steel out at 400 with ease. Once I get the glass it's time to start working loads and pushing it out to 1k yds.
Does anyone care to share some load data for their POF 308?

051811122728-1.jpg

Your a 100% right. Our farm is almost all thicket plus a couple huge...i mean huge fields. The thickets we have are jungle like, i know i could have put lead on him, however i was sure that if i didn't make a perfect shot, he would never be found, and i don't have a machete. Plus, i felt like he had another year to go which he did. We heard people were seeing this "absolute giant" down the road....but we have never seen him again.

I'm likely going to load up some 125 and 150 grain Noslers. See which one shoots better out of that POF and go from there. Have any bullet suggestions so i can start stocking up?

Those 110 GR TAPS by Hornady look kind of interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your a 100% right. Our farm is almost all thicket plus a couple huge...i mean huge fields. The thickets we have are jungle like, i know i could have put lead on him, however i was sure that if i didn't make a perfect shot, he would never be found, and i don't have a machete. Plus, i felt like he had another year to go which he did. We heard people were seeing this "absolute giant" down the road....but we have never seen him again.

I'm likely going to load up some 125 and 150 grain Noslers. See which one shoots better out of that POF and go from there. Have any bullet suggestions so i can start stocking up?

Those 110 GR TAPS by Hornady look kind of interesting. </div></div>

Being a 1/10 twist. your rifle is going to like the heavier bullets like 168s and 175s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rollinheavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The thickets we have are jungle like, i know i could have put lead on him, however i was sure that if i didn't make a perfect shot, he would never be found, and i don't have a machete.

Plus, i felt like he had another year to go which he did. </div></div>Good for you on passing him up and for not taking a suspect shot. I hope you get rewarded for it. It took 5 years to see good results of passing up bucks 4 yrs and younger where I hunt. I wish all of the neighbors did it, some are starting to come around on the idea though.

There are a lot of threads with factory ammo suggestions for the POF.

168 and 175 grain Federal Gold Metal Match, and 168 grain Hornady TAP come to mind. I just picked up a few boxes of 155 grain TAP to try in a bolt gun and my POF. I also have some 180 grain Game Kings from Southwest ammunition, 175 FGMM clones from USAammo and 168 FGMM I will be trying soon. Copper creek makes a "Gas Gun" load for the GAP-10 which is probably worth trying in the POF also

I found this while searching, its from a few years back, from POF and is only three shot groups but its worth looking at.

POF 2007 ammo test link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sebben is that Gunsite Hills? Looks a lot better than the old pics I have seen if it is. </div></div>

Doesn't look like it but I haven't been out there for a couple of years or longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubergeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sebben is that Gunsite Hills? Looks a lot better than the old pics I have seen if it is. </div></div>

Doesn't look like it but I haven't been out there for a couple of years or longer. </div></div>

It's Elbert county gun club in Elberton GA. its a really nice place. The benches are solid granite!

For load data my P308 likes 168 amax and SMKs loaded with 44 g varget.
Shot out to 800 works well for me.
It loves the Hornady TAP 168 factory also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's Elbert county gun club in Elberton GA. its a really nice place. The benches are solid granite! </div></div>

Will check it out, looks nice. Thanks.

Edit: 2hrs45min from me. Its on the way to Mom's house though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfoley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For load data my P308 likes 168 amax and SMKs loaded with 44 g varget.
Shot out to 800 works well for me.
It loves the Hornady TAP 168 factory also. </div></div>

What barrel length is yours? What brass and primers? Any special steps you take with the brass? OAL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomthebaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a POF with the old rail, and a new one with the new rail. The new one feels pretty light to me. All I have is an Acog on it. </div></div>
Isn't it because the old forearm has more picatinny railing on the top and bottom?