POI ~1.5” low off barricade compared with bench (100yd)

350z

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2021
NY
C02B1028-63FE-48FE-B3D6-C7023F191EC4.jpeg
Unfortunately didn’t get to try another rifle last weekend but I did shoot my rifle again in prone in other “different fundamentals” to get POI to shift down.
What I mean by different fundamentals are free recoil, hard press with the cheek, light press with the cheek, hand on top of scope, hand holding down the area419 plate, support hand squeezing the rear tight/light, pay extra attention to center of eye box, verified no parallax shift, etc.

Ran about 30 rounds, not a SINGLE round I got the POI to shift down. Basically I tried lots of things I don’t normally do and same result, can’t imagine I can be that inconsistently bad.

Went home took the front end off to check everything. Barrel nuts are 100% tight, the design makes it impossible to backed off anyway cuz it notched.

The forend nut is sitting in front of the barrel but also tight, but seeing the forend nut is touching the barrel , it does made me think that it COULD interfere with the barrel. Harmonic perhaps. So I’m not even sure this is considered a free floating barrel cuz the forend touches the barrel thru the forend nut.

Barrel nut is up against the receiver. The wider nut next to it is the forend nut.

Please comments, I’d like to hear what you all think.

350z

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2021
NY
How did you do with the other rifle? I have a question as I'm not familiar with the RPR, why do you have to mount the bipod all the way out or near the magwell? Arca rail? Do you load the bipod on the bench? Brand of bipod?

It sure seems like the chassis sort of springs the front of the action up a hair so you're low when it's not supported from the front.
Atlas bipod with arca mount. Aftermarket Arca rail attached to bottom of forend.

The position of the bipod totally makes a different which I proved. Near mag well same as if I’m using a bag. When bipod at front it’s not the very tip but prob an inch off.

The silver lining here is I now know exactly how my gun shoot when using bipod/bag at different positional. I’ll just adjust at the match. Not ideal but gotta do what u gotta do.

Mike_in_FL

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Feb 29, 2008
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Man this sucks. I think you need help from someone familiar with the RPR design. I think I'd take it all apart and re-torque like suggested in post #49. This sounds more like an AR problem. I wonder if it's possible to true the face of the RPR receiver like an AR? I sure hope you get it solved.