• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors POI shift to the max

Texasshooter30

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2011
My gemtech quicksand makes my POI shift too far off to get my leopold sighted in.
Any suggestions?

Re: POI shift to the max

yes, several different loads, with powder and bullets, same bullet weights though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texasshooter30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gemtech quicksand makes my POI shift too far off to get my leopold sighted in.
Any suggestions? </div></div>

really? what's it on?

how low is the group, zeroing at 100, is the group the same size with and without the suppressor?

what bullet weight are you using, do you know the muzzle velocity

Check for baffle strikes. Put the can on and look down the barrel from the breech. See if the bore is straight down the center. The sandstorm is a very light can and should have a minimal shift.

If you aren't having strikes, call GT.

Start with 50 or 25 yard, since the shift will be smaller, then work your way up to 100 yards. If you have a tight group you aren't having baffle strikes.

What rifle? Barrel length? Bullet? load?
A longer barrel will show more poi shif if the can causes barrel droop.

At 100 meters my sandstorm shift is maybe 4 inches at 7 o'clock

168gr FGMM, 20" barrel.

Lightness has nothing to do with this problem unless the barrel is pencil thin. We start by looking at the muzzle end of the can for the tell tale radial bright streaks of lead or deformed end caps for obvious strikes. Then we consider poor can to barrel thread shoulder for misalignment that, if your really lucky, fore tells of nothing more than benign stack misalignment resulting in the stripped gas creating bullet destabilization. How do you fix this? Rethreading reshouldering the barrel....or worse, returning the can from where it came with a note reading "core bore off center." Good luck

Point was started but seriously this sounds very much like the barrel threading mating surface (shoulder) for the suppressor to start with, which sounds very possibly the issue. Check that, normally requires recutting and threading properly for a suppressor and you are off and running. If you need assistance with the barrel threading we will be glad to assist. Have a great holiday weekend.

thanks all,
with my leupold doped all the way to one side the bullet is still about 3 or 4 feet to the right but not a baffle strike or contact what so ever in the suppressor.
It is a ruger Tg/Vt 20" barrel.
I am starting to think that maybe the shoulder or threading is off slightly.

My Ruger

WOW, pulled off my GT flash hider adapter, and it became obvious why my machinist wanted to install it, the pic is kind of dark but look at the threads, they dont look good.'

the threads

I will be asking him a few questions about this BS. If it would have destroyed my new quicksand I would have been pissed.

Why argue with a man that dorked up your threads, his do-over will not be any better if he does not have the skills. Send the rifle out to someone who theeads for silencers, not a machinist.

Threads not concentric with the bore. Find a new gunsmith.

We had a similar problem with a steyr and scrc can. Rifle shot great, can was quiet, can on rifle grouped like a paper plate @ 100 yards. Different can on same gun shot well, so it might not be as simple as threads. Start at 25 yards, if you need a real gunsmith in Texas i can give you a couple of good guys.

I have used Aquila (Houston area) in the past. Great work. I have heard great things about Mile High. ADCO's reputation is also top notch. Machinist and everyday smiths don't understand concentricity. They don't get that the threads need to be freaking perfect because it isn't their can sitting on the end of the rifle. I have fired 2 smiths in the past year that I sent a lot of work to. I am glad that there wasn't a baffle strike on your can.