• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Poi shift up?

vaeevictiss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2012
Virginia
So after getting my rifle where I want it shooting a 1/4" @ 100, and getting word directly from SWR that my Trident9 is safe to use with subsonic 308 I decided to load up a batch.

My first group was 17" lower than my standard ammo zero. Decent group, no keyholes, so I shot a couple more.

Then the moment of truth lol. Put the can on and fired a group that was only about 10" lower from my standard zero.

I'm not concerned about anything, actually very happy and surprised how quiet they are even using a 9mm can. Just curious as I thought hanging the extra weight on the barrel would lower the poi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Not always have I experienced that despite what you would think. I have a slight upward POI shift with one of my can/rifle combos. As long as there is no keyholing going on I could care less where it shifts the POI as on my scoped guns I no longer shoot anything unsuppressed so my zeros are all being set for the cans. Subsonic 308 is quite fun to shoot for plinking.

I use a suppressor on several .308 Win. caliber rifles and one 300 Whisper carbine. Only one of these shows more than an inch or two change in point of impact when using the suppressor as compared to shooting without the suppressor. The Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle shoots my subsonic load almost six inches higher at 100 yards when using the suppressor than the p.o.i. without the suppressor. This change is predictable...happens every time I shoot that load with the suppressor attached to the Ruger. The groups shot with the Ruger using that load also average 3/4" to 1" smaller when fired through the suppressor compared to the groups shot without the suppressor.