• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POLL - Most COMPLETE ballistics app

• STRELOK

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • BALLISTIC STANDARD EDITION

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • BALLISTIC ADVANCED EDITION

Votes: 69 40.4%
  • ISNIPE

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • MILLDOT BALLISTICS

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • BULLETFLIGHT

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • SHOOTER

Votes: 53 31.0%
  • OTHER PAY-FOR-APP (post name & link)

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • SINGLE OR COMBO FREE-FOR-USE APPS (post name & link)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
Taking out cost (let's face it a guy with a several hundred dollar to several thousand dollar shooting rig shouldn't be worried about and extra $10.00 for the best Ballistic Calculator / shot planner at their fingertips), what is the most complete ballistic app available?

Well I'm finally getting out of the dark ages, finally caught up to 2005 and got a fancy schmancy phone, and looking for a gucci application for the iphone that is all encompassing, but not so complicated / time consuming / able to be used effectively when having to take a longer shot while hunting or under a timer.

Though paper, pen, and a data book with actual data will probably never be replaced, since this thing is in my pocket, might as well use it. Also I'm cheap, but value for the $ is part of being a smart buyer and wouldn't mind paying more for 1 app that does all or at least most of what I need / want rather than a couple of them, as the math with show multiple apps cost more than just buying one good one.

I know there are a bunch of threads here on each, here's a rundown of of the most popular ones discussed, and the forerunners for my choices at face value (listed in no particular order):

Strelok ($4.99 - $7.99 depending on version)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/istrelok/id319662395?mt=8
Strelok Ballistic Calculator - YouTube
SharpshootingUK discuss istrelok, the iPhone ballistics app - YouTube
TUTORIAL STRELOK PROGRAMA BALÍSTICO PARA ANDROID - YouTube
can enter factory loads and handload info
multiple reticle holdovers
wind direction and values
angle / cosine adjustments, but no built in indicator?
ability to save your inputted data for multiple loads / rifles

Ballistic Standard ($12.99):
https://itunes.apple.com/app/ballistic-standard-edition/id300045171?mt=8
Ballistic - App review - YouTube

Ballistic AE ($19.99):
https://itunes.apple.com/app/ballistic-advanced-edition/id303254296?mt=8
excellent explanation of drop data:
Long range shooting with Ballistic: Advanced Edition for iPhone - YouTube
other features:
Ballistic: Advanced Edition for iPad or iPhone - YouTube
Ballistic AE How to setup and configure. - YouTube

different scope adjustment "per click" values
the famous spin drift values
rate of twist info
length of bullet and other bullet info
G1 & G7
ability to save your inputted data for multiple loads / rifles
rangefinder / holdover using actual reticle
ability to customize ballistic chart to actual drop data vs. computed data (truing)
built in angle / cosine finder / adjustments
gps upload for environmentals of baro, above sea level, etc. to where you are actually at (hopefully somewhat near the weather station).
wind at different stations downrange
HUD quickly changes wind data
rangefinder feature is the same as mildot ballistics app ($14.99 feature)

isnipe ($14.99):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/isnipe/id297093432?mt=8
excellent tutorials:
iSnipe Video Tutorials - The Basics v2.x - YouTube
(numerous more detailed how to use videos on the "other videos" that goes into more details)
different scope adjustment "per click" values
built in angle / cosine finder / compensator
holdovers using reticle
moving target leads on holdover screen using reticle
wind direction and values
gps upload for environmentals of baro, above sea level, etc. to where you are actually at (hopefully somewhat near the weather station).
rangefinder using 2 points of reference (seems a bit more complicated / time consuming - not as quickyly gained as the others for field use) but has average height targets to just click on. seems nice for range us, maybe a bit too much for hunting.
seemingly really nice graphics

though this has no built in angle indicator or truing like isnipe or ballistic AE, seems that for field / hunting use everything useful is on one screen using a view that is comparable to what you are seeing in the optic itself:

mildot ballistics ($14.99):
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id374564265
Mil-Dot Ballistics 3.02 - YouTube

after some more digging, it looks like this is incorporated into Ballistics AE in the rangefinder mode, might as well get Ballistic AE?
Ballistic AE: Using Rangefinder Optics Profiles - YouTube

By clicking over to HUD, it looks as if Ballistic AE incorporates everything I could possibly want (truing data, built in angle indicator, rangfinder and HUD modes) having everything displayed for either controlled range / field conditions use all in one package and actually looks as if the best features of all the apps are put into one with the Ballistic AE. With the capability of displaying what is wanted and what is not wanted, is Ballistics AE the Caddilac of the apps listed or am I mistaken?

Seems JBM / Litz is the backbone of the calculations / drop charts in all of of them.

Other popular apps:

Bulletflight ($29.99)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bulletflight/id300903039?mt=8

Shooter ($9.99)
https://itunes.apple.com/app/shooter-ballistics-calculator/id478462401?mt=8

There are some freebies out there that allow you to accomplish (for the most part) what all of the above can do, but you have to swap from one screen to another, or have to remember something from one while using another.

iPhone Ballistics Calculator | Winchester Ammunition Ballistics Calculator for iPhone, iPod and iPad

Ballistics App ? Nosler

Mildot Ranging app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mil-dot-rangefinder/id374556628

if you have wifi at your firing line:
Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
JBM - Calculations

More apps discussions in the SH advanced search:

- Google Search

Last edited:
I've used shooter for about a year now and been very happy with it. Been shooting out to about 900 yards with it and results have been very good after I check the results in the field and fine tuned the variables.

Field Firing Solutions is excellent. May not be cheap, may not run on a cell phone, but the features included and tools it provides are quite comprehensive.

View attachment 338-97.4.pdf

I use Ballistic AE. I don't shoot as often as I want to, but I used it at 1035 yards, and it said 23.5 MOA drop, and sho-nuff, right at 23.5 MOA we were ringing steel. There have been several posts here on SH which indicate the Ballistic AE developers are pretty sharp on upgrades and on listening to users and adding/fixing features etc.

I also really like the target analysis portions and the ability to save load data. You can import targets from your photo app, and calibrate them, and then the app will calculate your group size and other group data. Also, included in Ballistic AE are quite a few Litz BC's, which are actual measured BC's for many common bullets, not the standard advertised BC values.

Last edited:
I use Strelok and like it. Cant say much to anything else, as I've not used them.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Guess it will depend on what you consider "all encompassing". For me I just need it to tell me my mils for whatever range. I don't need to see the reticle with holds filled in. I use paper for that kind of stuff. I use Shooter. I've tried Strelock. Went back to shooter for no other reason than I prefer it. I'm just a once in a while range warrior. Your needs may be different.

Guess I should mention I use and android phone so I don't have access to Ballistic.

Last edited:
I use Isnipe.

Bought Bullet Flight and tried to learn it. When I upgraded my Iphone I never loaded it back on the new phone.

I've had Isnipe out to 1760 yards with a 338 Lapua.

I find it very interesting that people have voted for Ballistic AE by a factor of 2:1 over any other choice listed, yet there are supporting arguments by 3/4 of the Strelok users and 2/8 users of Shooter, yet only one of the 17 Ballistic users have said why they use it. For being the most popular one in the poll, I'd like to see more arguments supporting why people are using it.

Applied Ballistics by Bryan Litz is the best I've found, but only available on Android platform for now. Had to go out and get a Samsung 4G, but find it much nicer and intuitive than my old iPhone. Bryan's App does it all!

Field Firing Solutions is excellent. May not be cheap, may not run on a cell phone, but the features included and tools it provides are quite comprehensive.

Seconded, I've used a few apps, but none of them come anywhere close to the capability (or price, for that matter) of FFS.

ETA: And I'm just scratching the surface of mine.

JBM Ballistics - it's just not portable :)

I have mostly used Ballistics AE - not sure it's the most "complete", but the best of a few I've tried (including KAC Bulletflight and some 'free' bounded ones from RWS, Swarovski, etc.).
Not exactly intuitive to get up to figure out the best way to use it, but I persevered and it did what I wanted - fairly accurately.

But now, I've moved to Kestrel AB - and the iPhone is a backup only.

. I agree and run it on a Nomad. I have used Patagonia Ballistics (now Coldbore) also and find them both to be extremely robust calculators. I have Ballistic AE on my IPhone and carry it as a backup and for convenience. I will say the writers of Ballistic AE are constantly updating/improving the app. I'm waiting for the Apple OS of Applied Ballistics to be released to give it a spin and then perhaps obtain a Kestrel with it installed for hunting.

Field Firing Solutions on a Nomad is very robust and is also very well thought out for complex, multi target solutions from a single FFP. When linked to a Vectronix LRF, it can give you a string of firing solutions from a single FFP as fast as you can get the target ranged.

Ballistic AE is my vote for phone based.

I've mainly used the free Strelok, and I'm NOT here to say it's the best.

But, it's very fast and simple to use. It provides good data, but has the downsides of:

Inputted velocity that creates data that matchesobserved dope is NEVER what the chrono says. I always need to enter a velocity ~50-100fps higher than measured.

No G7 functionality.

I use the Strelok Pro. I'm sure its not the best, but it works just fine for my application.

I've mainly used the free Strelok, and I'm NOT here to say it's the best.

But, it's very fast and simple to use. It provides good data, but has the downsides of:

Inputted velocity that creates data that matchesobserved dope is NEVER what the chrono says. I always need to enter a velocity ~50-100fps higher than measured.

No G7 functionality.

I second all of this. I trued the velocity on mine at 675 yards and got 2565fps but only get about 2500fps readings when I've chrono'd the SW 175's out of my factory 1:12 twist 308 Rem700 barrel that I cut down to 18". Although the Fps are off, once I trued the velocity it has worked really well for me, even if it's not very "true" haha. I seriously doubt I'm actually getting 2565 out of my 18" factory tube.

I like the reticle mapping (once trued) it is handy for taking screen shots of it with the iPhone then printing it and laminating with packing tape for a decent dope card.

Last edited:
I've only ever used iSnipe. I've been using it for several years now and really like it. It has been very close/consistent to my rifle and the upgrades keep getting better. I think it was only $5 when I first purchased it and the upgrades since haven't cost me anything.

I don't think that anyone will vote for Balistic Standard for this simple reason. Obviously Balistic AE is a more "complete" app than the standard addition. In a sense the whole poll doesn't make much sense unless those that vote have experience with all the apps. Really it's more like a popularity contest. Now the comments in posts at least can shed some light on the subject you are asking about.

That having been said, I've only used a couple apps and am new at this, so still am quite happy with Ballistic standard edition. I can vouch that they are regularly updating and making this app better, as I receive and check out the updates. The G7 results I get predict exactly for the .260 that I have (My barrel and measured MV). I did not vote, since the standard edition is not as complete as the AE edition is and I have no experience with the others. My friend who I shoot with uses Shooter and is just as happy with his results using it, but neither of us shoot in matches yet, so time will tell.

Also, I have used and like JBM a lot, but as mentioned, it's not a mobile app.

My vote to Shooter.

I used Ballistic for about a year before I went to Ballistic AE. I used B AE for about 2 years and now use Shooter for my actual shooting. However, every time I get into ballistic what ifs (like a 6mm Creedmoor vs. 6.5 SAUM, or what ever) I use Ballistic. The library there is amazing, and comparisons are a snap.

Ty

Applied Ballistics by Bryan Litz is the best I've found, but only available on Android platform for now. Had to go out and get a Samsung 4G, but find it much nicer and intuitive than my old iPhone. Bryan's App does it all!
+1

I have both Shooter and Ballistics AE, I find Shooter to be the easiest to use and gives me good results. I need to spend more time with Ballistics to get the most out of it I guess.

I second all of this. I trued the velocity on mine at 675 yards and got 2565fps but only get about 2500fps readings when I've chrono'd the SW 175's out of my factory 1:12 twist 308 Rem700 barrel that I cut down to 18". Although the Fps are off, once I trued the velocity it has worked really well for me, even if it's not very "true" haha. I seriously doubt I'm actually getting 2565 out of my 18" factory tube.

I like the reticle mapping (once trued) it is handy for taking screen shots of it with the iPhone then printing it and laminating with packing tape for a decent dope card.

I am using all Three of the StreLoks and the Pro version does give you differant numbers coz it adds Coriolis and SD into the mix which did P me off til I gave myself a good feed of smarts and the pro version does have G1 and G7 Drag functions, I tend to using the StreLok+ for general use and Pro when Im fishing for a Miricle.

John

I use Strelok Pro. My computer DOPE on the last three new cartridges I tested to 1000 was spot-on.

John,

You can toggle on/off spin drift and vertical deflection. But I don't know what you mean about it 'using' Coriolis to give you different numbers, because you don't input the direction you are shooting from and it doesn't have GPS.

Toggle on spin drift, leave Coriolis and crosswind deflection off.

Last edited:
I use Strelok Pro. My computer DOPE on the last three new cartridges I tested to 1000 was spot-on.

John,

You can toggle on/off spin drift and vertical deflection. But I don't know what you mean about it 'using' Coriolis to give you different numbers, because you don't input the direction you are shooting from and it doesn't have GPS.

Toggle on spin drift, leave Coriolis and crosswind deflection off.

G'Day Graham,, I found an extra box that allows you to check a box so it will account for Coriolis and SD, On the front page if you scroll down and click the words settings a black page comes up where you can pick metric,,,powder temp,, slope/cosinus SMOA or MOA Cross wind verticle deflection and SD and Coriolis effect to results Use U/D and L/R instead of +/- and alot more,

Also on the front page it has a coriolis box if you click on that it asks for Geographic Latitude and Target Azimuth and it has a compass and it will also ask you if you want to turn on the GPS, HELP HELP HELP HELP ( SCREAMING ).

And you can change the trajectory validation to respond to either speed or BC and now I have just found another can of worms for Me to struggle with.

John

I was actually thinking about making my own that would add some extra features that we would like having on the field. I have some ideas but will make a thread on it when the time comes. Currently I use Shooter though. However, there are large aspects that can be added to every single one of these apps that seemed to have been overlooked.

this!

My only issue with Ballistic AE is it absolutely destroys battery life

Same here - I find that it is really a battery killer. That doesn't make any sense to me; supposedly all the calculations are self contained. It is not using Bluetooth, it isn't calculating continually, it does not use the cellular or wifi unless you're pulling wx data. What gives?

The only thing I don't like about SHOOTER is the dope never lines up past a certain point at ELR distances. LL mentioned something about it in a ELR thread about a year ago. It works fine out to 1100Y though.

If I had the money I'd get FFS and a Nomad.

I use Applied Ballistics and find it very good. Very similar to Shooter due to the same developer, but added things I like by showing MV, zero, height, stuff I occasionally modify on my loads in small text below the load profiles, especially useful if I forget to modify my load values between rifle profiles. I admit I am biased toward things sponsored by Bryan Litz due to his extensive BC modeling and work. He also has very good feedback help on this site, another plus.

I have most of the iPhone apps mentioned. FFS on my Nomad blows them all away in so many ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of Android and all of Google's privacy invasions nor an I a fan of Apple with it proprietary hardware and cult like following. That said, I would still pick Loadbase/Coldbore as my choice. It is user friendly, accurate and suits my needs. It is also supported on the desktop, PDA, and phone. As a long term user, I appreciate its features and nuances as well as the ability to use it in hardened hardware that can be taken to the field with no worry. It's not to say that I trust Microsoft either but the new Windows phone 8/8.1 created a desire to upgrade my Windows Mobile 6.1 phone to a newer version at long last after waiting several years for something worth upgrading to. I am very pleased with the new phone and the new OS not to mention the latest release of Coldbore 1.0 for Mobile 8. I've used other applications and wouldn't dismiss any of them but Coldbore seems to be the best there is in my opinion with Bryan's AB and FFS close seconds. I reject Android and IOS leaving me with Windows. for several years, that meant leaving me with nothing but with the newer release, the glimmer of hope has been restored and I am quite happy with the hew hardware as well as software. True there aren't as many apps but the ones there are meaningful and should increase IF windows mobile gains traction...

I am not a fan of Android and all of Google's privacy invasions nor an I a fan of Apple with it proprietary hardware and cult like following. That said, I would still pick Loadbase/Coldbore as my choice. It is user friendly, accurate and suits my needs. It is also supported on the desktop, PDA, and phone. As a long term user, I appreciate its features and nuances as well as the ability to use it in hardened hardware that can be taken to the field with no worry. It's not to say that I trust Microsoft either but the new Windows phone 8/8.1 created a desire to upgrade my Windows Mobile 6.1 phone to a newer version at long last after waiting several years for something worth upgrading to. I am very pleased with the new phone and the new OS not to mention the latest release of Coldbore 1.0 for Mobile 8. I've used other applications and wouldn't dismiss any of them but Coldbore seems to be the best there is in my opinion with Bryan's AB and FFS close seconds. I reject Android and IOS leaving me with Windows. for several years, that meant leaving me with nothing but with the newer release, the glimmer of hope has been restored and I am quite happy with the hew hardware as well as software. True there aren't as many apps but the ones there are meaningful and should increase IF windows mobile gains traction...

Same boat here. ColdBore on the Windows Phone is unsurpassed, hands down the best app out there. Robust, feature-richest, excellent accuracy for REAL ELR shots, ultra fast and with mapping and targets capabilities not present on any other program, Syncs to the PC and by the same token to the PDA versions. I have found too as many others did, that when the chips are down and you need a really accurate fire solution, only ColdBore can be counted in. Not to mention that only Patagonia has the most complete suite (PC, PDA and Windows Phone), constantly updated and great support for the end user. For the price it's a real bargain, not to mention the Windows Phone version is free for all registered users.

Lowlight did several posts attesting to the power and accuracy of ColdBore on Windows Phone. Second choice is FFS (but it requires the already defunct Windows Mobile) and far behind the apps like Shooter, Ballistics AE and Strelok, all of them running on the same ballistics engine thus having all the same limitations, not to mention none of them comes with real tactical features like GPS and Targets.

ColdBore is also the top choice for the pros and military in several countries too.

Same boat here. ColdBore on the Windows Phone is unsurpassed, hands down the best app out there. Robust, feature-richest, excellent accuracy for REAL ELR shots, ultra fast and with mapping and targets capabilities not present on any other program, Syncs to the PC and by the same token to the PDA versions. I have found too as many others did, that when the chips are down and you need a really accurate fire solution, only ColdBore can be counted in. Not to mention that only Patagonia has the most complete suite (PC, PDA and Windows Phone), constantly updated and great support for the end user. For the price it's a real bargain, not to mention the Windows Phone version is free for all registered users.

Lowlight did several posts attesting to the power and accuracy of ColdBore on Windows Phone. Second choice is FFS (but it requires the already defunct Windows Mobile) and far behind the apps like Shooter, Ballistics AE and Strelok, all of them running on the same ballistics engine thus having all the same limitations, not to mention none of them comes with real tactical features like GPS and Targets.

ColdBore is also the top choice for the pros and military in several countries too.

When you say about a real Tactical GPS Do you meen where you enter the Geographic Latitude and the Target Azmuth so you get the correct adjustment also having a built in Compass Because my App does all this

John

When you say about a real Tactical GPS Do you meen where you enter the Geographic Latitude and the Target Azmuth so you get the correct adjustment also having a built in Compass Because my App does all this

John

Not even close, what you say is basic and most app do. I mean Mapping and Targeting features.

You gentlemen that have used ColdBore 1.0 whether its for Mobile, Table Top, or Windows Phone it's just outstanding! Hard to beat in every aspect we can think of and the Windows Phone version is free with certain limitations. If you want it
fully functional you need to purchase the Table Top version and you get a license to fully open the full functionality of it. Some might not need all of it right now, but you have something to grow with!

For those that have not seen the Windows Phone version, I'm posting a some screen shots for you... Will give you a good idea. Remember you can only use what you need at first. There are still some that I did not post... Sorry! :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80438850/COLDBORE1.0windowsPhone.jpg

Does noone use bullet flight? It has defaults for militery ammo and corialis spin drift etc It seems to be accurate and I compare it to what I get off Quickload and see in real world and it works well

I use bullet flight. It has worked very well for me, even worked good with the 22lr data for my mrk II tr

Does noone use bullet flight? It has defaults for militery ammo and corialis spin drift etc It seems to be accurate and I compare it to what I get off Quickload and see in real world and it works well
Out of date, limited features (in comparison to what the others now have), over priced and it seems they don't care about it anymore. There hasn't been an update to it in three years. If it still works for you then great, but there are far better options available now for those purchasing new software.

Ballistic AE has put me on first round hits at distance. It has many features that I haven't even looked at and it is continually being updated.

I have the shooter app and have had very good luck with it I have noticed its not as accurate with the hornady bullets i don't know of its my imagination or not but that's what I have noticed.

Coldbore is my favourite. Make the effort to learn it and it's an extremely functional tool. Deployment via PDA is also a bonus as some smartphone apps can shut down due to overheating of the device.