• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Polymer Ammunition the future?

Re: Polymer Ammunition the future?

An interesting concept... I've shot a fair amount of the old PCA Spectrum ammo in .223, and it's literally the only thing I've ever found that could cause my SIG 556 to jam up and stovepipe. Other people I know shot it without any problems. Separated brass bases were a major issue, and the ammo itself seemed underpowered (IIRC, I think I chrono'd a few rounds and they were running 100-200 fps below most commercial loads).

The key question is, what happens to the spiral fluting when the round is fired? I recall some very insistent warnings in SAR a few years back about the nightmare of shooting a polymer round through a fluted-chamber HK weapon. Something about "an hour of scraping to remove one shot's worth of melted plastic" sounded like tons of fun.

From "Matt" in the 4th comment down:

"Looks like an answer in search of a problem"

After reading the title, all I can hear in my head is: "plastic melts...guns get hot....plastic melts......guns get hot....etc."

Anybody know what temps are reached in a barrel during firing? They have some crazy heat resistant plastics out there right now...???

Mike