• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Port vs Brake

Darkphage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Orem, Utah
Can someone out there with more knowledge than me tell me if there is a difference between a ported barrel and a threaded brake as far as how they function?

My assumption is that they are essentially the same, but what the hell do I know.

Thanks in advance,

Dark

Re: Port vs Brake

Same basic concept.

You will not get as much recoil reduction with a the ported barrel vs. the brake. Typically more surface area of the brake= less recoil.

The <span style="font-weight: bold">brake </span>is designed for <span style="font-weight: bold">recoil reduction</span> while <span style="font-style: italic">"<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">generally</span></span>" </span><span style="font-weight: bold">porting </span>refers to devices that direct gases upwards <span style="font-weight: bold">to reduce muzzle climb</span> and to some extent also the recoil.

A brake is more of a recoil reducer as well as reducing muzzle flip in some designs.

A porting system focuses more on reducing muzzle flip and a bit of recoil. Porting is often used on Shotguns to reduce muzzle flip and allow fast follow up shots on under/over shotties.
However it doesnt reduce the recoil as much as a well designed muzzle brake.