• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Portable Cleaning Rod Suggestions Needed

mckchome

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2017
Minnesota
heritagemedianetwork.com
In my reloading room, I keep a Tipton, but I’d like to have a more mobile option, for those occasional cases when one needs to clear an obstruction from the barrel. Any recommendations on a cleaning rod that will match the following criteria: (1) fit into a backpack ( I use an Eberlestock Gunslinger if that matters), (2) be lightweight, (3) and function with a 26’’ barrel. Thanks in advance.

Pro-shot make SS collapsable rods. That way you have a real rod you can clean but also bang out a stick round or case. + Keep that plus a 12ga brass rush in your pack for removing a case head separation. I used both in matches more often tan not to save someone else's day.

Edited to add as I was posting @MOwens79 tossed up the link

But I would suggest this insted of the entire Kit.. If you trying to go light - I also come with the shotgun addapter.
http://www.proshotproducts.com/36-Universal-Kit_p_475.html

Last edited:
Pro-shot make SS collapsable rods. That way you have a real rod you can clean but also bang out a stick round or case. + Keep that plus a 12ga brass rush in your pack for removing a case head separation. I used both in matches more often tan not to save someone else's day.

Edited to add as I was posting @MOwens79 tossed up the link

But I would suggest this insted of the entire Kit.. If you trying to go light - I also come with the shotgun addapter.
http://www.proshotproducts.com/36-Universal-Kit_p_475.html
This looks like a great suggestions. thanks.

Isn't Borka the entire kit with the pro-shot?
You are correct. The rods are made by pro shot but he assembles his kit

AE5EA466-AAE2-47EA-8D43-AF35FD9BFE88.jpeg

Has anyone been able to prder just the cleaning rod from Borka? The website says that it is not available for sale separately. I ordered 2 different torque wrenches and didnt add the cleanign rod. Idk what I was thinking.

Put your regular cleaning rod in your rifle case or bag. Fits fine.

I was thinking of carrying to the range and not carrying in a match.

Isn't Borka the entire kit with the pro-shot?
Yes, Pro-Shot is our exclusive supplier for stainless steel cleaning rod sections of a specific length and other components of the MCR kit. Pro-Shot modular cleaning rods are very high quality, and made in the U.S.A. Borka MCR (Modular Cleaning Rod) kit allows to configure the cleaning rod length from 5" to 40", which works for all handguns and just about any long guns.

http://www.shooterstools.com/Pages/ATD/atdkits.html#MCRinfo

Boris
Borka Tools

Last edited:
Reactions: Rover31
i'm sure i am a little off on the suggestion, but a bore snake is very portable and compact and a few cleaning heads and patches and a rubber squeegee and small plastic empty visine container of oil and one for cleaner could easily fit in a first aid kit or pouch. not to mention cheap.

i'm sure i am a little off on the suggestion, but a bore snake is very portable and compact and a few cleaning heads and patches and a rubber squeegee and small plastic empty visine container of oil and one for cleaner could easily fit in a first aid kit or pouch. not to mention cheap.

Won’t get a stuck case out though.

I make my own, been doing it a while now. Go to Ace Hardware (or wherever) and get some nylon coated 1/8" steel cable (I think this is the size; it's the size that fits a .22 bbl. perfectly). Trim some back and JB Weld a .22 Dewey rod adapter on the bare steel wire. Now patch loops and brushes will fit, even .30 cal, etc., so it's a universal pull through cable. Won't damage the barrel like military five piece steel rods. I made these to make my own high end Otis style cleaning kits and even put one in that really nice kit KAC sends with the SR25's. You can even make a flexible chamber cleaner.

Cheap and effective. And you can use your usual Dewey and other similar threaded components, but are limited to pull through options, which isn't usually a problem in the field or at the range.

It's not just a cheap option though, this makes a higher quality and better setup than the Otis stuff IMO. But I like the Dewey shit, so maybe I'm biased.

Hire a man servent to carry your supplies and extra long single piece cleaning rod!

Your own gun butler....

?

Just a couple of notes to think about:

1. If you ever decide to shoot a field match or any match where you need to only use what you carry, a cleaning rod can be as important as any tool you might consider carrying. Way up there next to your ammo if you reload.

My cleaning Rod has saved more than a handful of guys matches and mine at least twice.

5 common uses other than cleaning:

1. Removing a stuck case- you need a strong rod that you can tap from the muzzle end.

2. Damaged round - strang as it sounds, you be surprised how little of a deviation will stop a round from chambering. Just like above you need something solid-of course this one is a bit spooky to deal with.

3. Case head separation- maybe more common than people think. This one kinda freaks people out when they pull their bolt back and the next round doesn’t chamber. The main body of the case remains in the chamber. The lightest simplest tool and way to extract it is with a small section of the rod like you’d use for a pistol with the 12 gauge thread adapter and brass 12gauge brush. Again, you need a solid rod to push from the chamber end with a bit of effort, then pull back. The brass in the case locks as the bass brush try’s to reverse and comes right out. Of course, I have also seen people sometimes get lucky and just tip the muzzle up.

4. While loosing control of your gun can cause a DQ, I’ve seen guys a couple times drop their gun or otherwise get crap in their muzzle usually when unslinging arriving at a stage. Once my front flush cup disingauged and my gun stuck barrel frist in the dirt.. again solid rods needed.

5. Lastly and I have only seen this a couple of times a lone bullet. Once was a squib and another after a guy timed out and extracted the unfurled round; a bullet stuck in the lands.

Even if your a hunter think about falling etc.. you’ll want a rod

BTW I carried the rapid rod and it worked the first time I tried to bang a stick case out of a guys savage... then the soft aluminum was 100% trashed.

@kortik has a longer kit than I think offered and it packs even shorter. It is very nice along with his field kit.

Either way get a strong rod if you ever plan on shooting field matches or away from the truck of your car... think of it as a first aid kit; it just sits there, but when you need them your super happy you had it.

Hope the info helps someone... you can’t image the look on someone’s face when they think their match is over because of something so simple...

Last edited:
Reactions: kortik
Just a couple of notes to think about:

1. If you ever decide to shoot a field match or any match where you need to only use what you carry, a cleaning rod can be as important as any tool you might consider carrying. Way up there next to your ammo if you reload.

My cleaning Rod has saved more than a handful of guys matches and mine at least twice.

5 common uses other than cleaning:

1. Removing a stuck case- you need a strong rod that you can tap from the muzzle end.

2. Damaged round - strang as it sounds, you be surprised how little of a deviation will stop a round from chambering. Just like above you need something solid-of course this one is a bit spooky to deal with.

3. Case head separation- maybe more common than people think. This one kinda freaks people out when they pull their bolt back and the next round doesn’t chamber. The main body of the case remains in the chamber. The lightest simplest tool and way to extract it is with a small section of the rod like you’d use for a pistol with the 12 gauge thread adapter and brass 12gauge brush. Again, you need a solid rod to push from the chamber end with a bit of effort, then pull back. The brass in the case locks as the bass brush try’s to reverse and comes right out. Of course, I have also seen people sometimes get lucky and just tip the muzzle up.

4. While loosing control of your gun can cause a DQ, I’ve seen guys a couple times drop their gun or otherwise get crap in their muzzle usually when unslinging arriving at a stage. Once my front flush cup disingauged and my gun stuck barrel frist in the dirt.. again solid rods needed.

5. Lastly and I have only seen this a couple of times a lone bullet. Once was a squib and another after a guy timed out and extracted the unfurled round; a bullet stuck in the lands.

Even if your a hunter think about falling etc.. you’ll want a rod

BTW I carried the rapid rod and it worked the first time I tried to bang a stick case out of a guys savage... then the soft aluminum was 100% trashed.

@kortik has a longer kit than I think offered and it packs even shorter. It is very nice along with his field kit.

Either way get a strong rod if you ever plan on shooting field matches or away from the truck of your car... think of it as a first aid kit; it just sits there, but when you need them your super happy you had it.

Hope the info helps someone... you can’t image the look on someone’s face when they think their match is over because of something so simple...

^ TRUE STUFF, especially the case head separation. I've had more than one shooting session ruined by this! But this is a great list of reasons why a cleaning rod is VERY important.

Reactions: Diver160651
Yes, you're correct that a bore snake is a lightweight cleaning option, but it doesn't help with "stuck" things, which is really what I'm after. Thanks!

The Tipton's are awesome, just not easily portable.
Ya, I have a lot of other rods at home and Tipton carbon in several of my rifle bags for range use.. the stuff in my shooting pack/match bag are like safety gear.. maybe I shoot to much..

The local match was canceled this week to weather.. oh well, long drive to another next week, at least it is in the same state.

If you want a professional grade kit that will last a lifetime and do a number of chores, this one is the mother of all cleaning rods:

https://www.triadtactical.com/SAIN-Defense-Firearm-Cleaning-System.html

Brian is a long time L.E. Sniper and trainer from S.E. Texas. He as totally done his homework on every aspect of this kit and then went out to find the absolute best way to manufacture it out of the best materials all the way down to the case. I keep this available for every class that is taught. It gets used often and continues to impress.

Not in the price range of an Outers Universal Cleaning Kit at Academy Sports but then again it was never meant to be that.

The package can be slimmed down and configured to just what you need in your pack to save weight/space.

I recommend this without reservation.

PS: It is also sold through a couple of top shelf outlets including Triad Tactical which is one of our own long time SH friends.

./