• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible rust conundrum

jaramilm

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2020
Oakdale
So I came across something in my barrel that has me stumped. Few years back I bought a complete BCM upper to throw into storage. I do pull it out every so often (2-3 times a year) to punch oil down the bore. Here is where the mystery begins; I recently acquired a bore scope and decided to have a look down all my barrels. This one in particular was absolutely ridden with what appeared to be rust, a yellowish orange-ish layer. I started brushing it out with solvent, but all my patches came out black and blue. Furthermore, with 99% of things cleaned out there does not appear to pitting. So my question to you fellows is, was my bore rusted? This picture was taken after a few brushing cycles and does not reflect what it looks like now

Attachments

• 2B974D7F-921D-41D9-8B45-CCAD291BC276.jpeg
    2B974D7F-921D-41D9-8B45-CCAD291BC276.jpeg
    495 KB · Views: 112
Not an uncommon problem. Try some Wipe Out with or without the accelerator. You'll be surprised how much blue comes out with it.

Not an uncommon problem. Try some Wipe Out with or without the accelerator. You'll be surprised how much blue comes out with it.
Nice, appreciate the advice. I could have sworn with the color it was rusted, but with everyone’s advice (I did hear back from BCM and they agreed with everyone here) and the lack of pitting it seems to point towards copper fouling.

Reactions: captnmo
How does it group? Complete copper removal may hurt accuracy if it’s filling imperfections/voids in the surface of the steel. Let the target, not the scope, tell you how much cleaning is necessary.

How does it group? Complete copper removal may hurt accuracy if it’s filling imperfections/voids in the surface of the steel. Let the target, not the scope, tell you how much cleaning is necessary.
This one has been in storage the entire time I’ve owned it. I plan on taking it out my next outing