• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Post pics of your Tac Ops Rifles, please....

rasheed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2005
Houston
As I am getting ready to finalize the details of my new Tac-Ops build, I'd love to see what you guys have already done with Mike...

thanks in advance,

rasheed

Re: Post pics of your Tac-Ops Rifles, please....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rasheed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I am getting ready to finalize the details of my new Tac-Ops build, I'd love to see what you guys have already done with Mike...

thanks in advance,

rasheed </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Heres' my X-Ray 51 (.308) with Tac Ops Heavy Contour barrel in Birdsong "Tac Ops OD" Green-T w/contrasting Black-T:</span></span>
X-Ray51CBwODRingsRS45Angle28x6.jpg

X-Ray51CBwODRingsRSProfileFF8x6.jpg

X-Ray51CBwODRingsLSProfile18x6.jpg

TacOpsX-Ray51Logos8x6.jpg

TOEngravedLogo18x6.jpg

X-Ray51Logo8x6.jpg

CaliberEngraving8x6.jpg

X-Ray51CrownMuzzle28x6.jpg

ClassIIIThreads8x6.jpg

TOThreadProtector8x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rasheed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I am getting ready to finalize the details of my new Tac-Ops build, I'd love to see what you guys have already done with Mike...

thanks in advance,

rasheed </div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">"Please sir...could I have some more"</span> - from Charles Dickens' novel <span style="font-style: italic">Oliver Twist</span>, 1838

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">And more photos:</span></span>

TacOpsBoltHandle8x6P.jpg

TOBlackGreen-TShroud8x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoadingPort8x6.jpg

X-Ray51TriggerBoltHandle8x6.jpg

BlackGreen-TWilliamsBM18x6P.jpg

BlackGreen-TTriggerCloseup18x6.jpg

TOFittedAnschutzRailP18x6.jpg

TOFittedAnschutzRailCloseup18x6P.jpg

AnschutzRailBipodStud18x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

use this search function and type in tac ops pictures - you will find a bunch of them </div></div>

Always helpful.

Not asking for a search of Tac-Ops Rifles, but a pictoral of what Sniper's Hide Members have already ordered from Mike, along with some specs...

Thank you Aries64!

rasheed

I'll get some really hot pics up when I get mine. Ordered it in October, so we'll see when it gets here.

i wouldn't want to shoot that rifle haha that is definitely a NICE rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick Aries64 -does it shoot as good as they say they do </div></div>
Better. Sub-.25 MOA with FGMM 168s' - I've been down into the .0XXs' at 100 yards, and I've shot several 300 yard 3-shot groups on steel that stacked the impacts on top of each other. Those groups measured about 1.062" <span style="font-style: italic">overall, including the splatter.</span>

Granted, the wind on both those days was light (3-5 MPH) and nearly perfectly from my six. And I must have been lined-up behind the rifle and scope perfectly, but this illustrates how consistent Tac Ops rifles are with their specified (FGMM) ammo. The FGMM 168s' are amazing out to 600 yards, and pretty good to around 800 yards with little to no wind. But if its' windy, forget it. 175s' are much better.

I'm going to start reloading again and one thing I'm going to do is to try reloading the FGMM brass. I've never reloaded Federal brass before, as everyone has always said it too soft. However, as it fits the chamber so perfectly that it doesn't expand. I measured dimensions of unfired and fired (through my X-Ray 51) cases and the dimensions were the very same before and after firing. I figure since that brass doesn't expand it should last longer.

I'm going to try duplicating the exterior dimensions of the FGMM ammo so that my reloads fit the chamber like the FGMM does using 175 SMKs' and 178 AMAXs'.

Keith

Keith, did you measure the chamber or the distance to the lands? Being that the performance is above par with factory ammo, I assume that the chamber is tight, and the lands are close to 2.800" OAL with smks. It should be a breeze to handload for your rifle.

rem_.308,

Looks like a M40A3-ish build... Nice!

Rem308,

Do you have any close ups of the can you could post, looks great BTW?

Me next! Me next! rem_308 I love the end cap on the can! I have now shot around 500 rounds out of the Lima-51B (260REM) and everytime out it shoots better than the last, maybe I'm just getting better. Tuesday I shot 6 five shot groups two were just below .25moa one group I pulled on the last shot and two were right at .15moa and the star of the day was .070 at 100yds. All six groups were a different seating depth. This is the only rifle I've ever shot that I can consistently group sub .25moa. The last time I shot 600yds i hit a 5 inch steel plate 23 times in a row! I'm by no means a great shot but this rifle has gave me the confidence that has made me better. I shoot with guys that have many customs by other smiths as do I and they are all amazed with the attention to detail(you hear them words alot when someone talks about their Tac-Ops rifle) and accuracy of this rifle. Aries your pics are still better than mine!
_DSC0058.jpg

_DSC0031.jpg

_DSC0038-1.jpg

_DSC0056.jpg

Tac-Ops cans are by far the quietest I've ever heard. They are not even close to the others I have or have shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wildcat78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tac-Ops cans are by far the quietest I've ever heard. They are not even close to the others I have or have shot. </div></div>

What else have you shot?

Wildcat doesnt get on here alot so I can answer your question some what. I shoot with him.

Swr omega 30, Srt shadow, Aac 7.62Sd,
Swr wolverine, Aac ranger 2 and a few other smaller caliber cans.

It is very quiet and accurate I believe the bigger overall diameter helps reduce sound more than others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bub308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wildcat doesnt get on here alot so I can answer your question some what. I shoot with him.

Swr omega 30, Srt shadow, Aac 7.62Sd,
Swr wolverine, Aac ranger 2 and a few other smaller caliber cans.</div></div>

Thanks. Just curious as I have a Tac 30 sitting on Mike's desk right now, waiting for the paperwork to clear. I have talked with someone who has shot the Tac 30 next to a Shark and said that the dB reduction was similar with the tone of the Tac Ops can being a little lower pitched. In his comparison, he said that the main difference setting them apart was the fit and finish of the Tac Ops can. Should that be a driving consideration? Not for me. But Mike said he guaranteed it to 50,000+ rounds, which is more than I can shoot in a couple of years, and I trust him, so I went with a Tac Ops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, did you measure the chamber or the distance to the lands? Being that the performance is above par with factory ammo, I assume that the chamber is tight, and the lands are close to 2.800" OAL with smks. It should be a breeze to handload for your rifle. </div></div>
We measured the distance to the lands. I don't have the data with me - all the reloading stuff is over at my brother's house. But IIRC the OAL was right around 2.800". I do know that the bullet was <span style="font-style: italic">right at the lands</span>.

Keith

Any others out there??? Would love to see a Tango-51>>>

Wow.. Beautiful rifles.. I love the engraving work they do to some of the floorplates that come out of there. Will he do dbm or no?

Aries how much did that set you back?

Beautiful rifles
Like someone said, you can see extra attention to detail. And not just the engraving. The texturing, color swapping on parts.
Nice rifles

Awesome rifles guys!!! If you don't mind me asking, what's the price on a "base" Tac-Ops rifle run??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifles guys!!! If you don't mind me asking, what's the price on a "base" Tac-Ops rifle run?? </div></div>Check with your Mom, she is always in the tactical store. In fact, I seen her the other day buying a pair of Combat boots & nightstick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aries how much did that set you back? </div></div>
The <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">X-Ray 51</span></span> runs around $4,500.00 with factory bottom metal, but I upgraded to a Williams so the tab was more than $4,600.00. <span style="font-style: italic">And it is worth every penny.</span> Beautiful to look at, but even moreso to shoot. I just wish I was as consistent as my X-Ray.

And for those who don't know, Tac Ops will now be making their own bottom metal and will offer it as an upgrade to the factory BM. Its' beautifully designed and machined out of 303 Stainless with "soft" radiused edges all-around. Tac Ops will still offer the Williams - Mike only started making his own BM because constant and prolonged delays on Williams BM has often affected delivery time of Tac Ops rifles.

Obviously, the factory BM will do the job, but it isn't nearly the quality of a Tac Ops or Williams piece and to me the factory BM is crap. I can't see using factory Remington BM on a Tac Ops rifle, but hundreds of agencies and many civilians have done just that.

Anyone who is serious about getting a Tac Ops rifle needs to call and speak to Mike Rescigno at Tac Ops, period. He will answer any and all questions you have, and probably a few more you hadn't thought of.

The best time to call him is after "normal" business hours - 8:00PM PST or so. Mike works an insane schedule - often working in the shop into the wee hours of the morning. If he doesn't answer just leave your name, phone number, and the reason you called and ask him to return your call.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifles guys!!! If you don't mind me asking, what's the price on a "base" Tac-Ops rifle run?? </div></div>
The "base" Tac Ops model is the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tango 51</span></span>, which runs around $3,700.00 these days. From conversations with Mike Rescigno, the Tango 51 is the best selling of the Tac Ops rifles, easily out-selling other models 9:1 or better. I think this is largely due to the nature of Tac Ops business, most of which is agency-related. The Tango 51's handy size and light weight make it easy-to-carry and quick-handling in tight spots, as well as comfortable to shoot accurately in various positions, which of course is ideal for LE as well as hunting.

Now, back to the photos...

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like someone said, you can see extra attention to detail. And not just the engraving. The texturing, color swapping on parts.
</div></div>

The finishing is just the easy part. You're a machinist Kieth, did you notice (and I know you appreciate what goes into) the timing on the allen heads:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wildcat78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
_DSC0058.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The finishing is just the easy part. You're a machinist Kieth, did you notice (and I know you appreciate what goes into) the timing on the allen heads:
</div></div>

I hadnt noticed that until you mentioned it. The pic you show, on my laptop, is barely big enough to make out the screw heads. And on my computer one screw isn't, in another picture. Dunno if its just backed out or what. Didnt really notice the screws like I said, until you mentioned it.

Lot to be said about a rifle with details like that put into it. We're being taught to do it as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The finishing is just the easy part. You're a machinist Kieth, did you notice (and I know you appreciate what goes into) the timing on the allen heads:
</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hadnt noticed that until you mentioned it. The pic you show, on my laptop, is barely big enough to make out the screw heads. And on my computer one screw isn't, in another picture. Dunno if its just backed out or what. Didnt really notice the screws like I said, until you mentioned it.</div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">Mr. Keith Johns</span>,

Below are a couple of photos of the screws on my X-Ray 51's Anschutz Rail, including a close-up. You should be able to see the screws more easily in these photos - notice how the "YFS" letters on the screws are all aligned? Take a look at the close-up in the second photo:

TOFittedAnschutzRailP18x6.jpg

TOFittedAnschutzRailCloseup18x6P.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lot to be said about a rifle with details like that put into it. We're being taught to do it as well. </div></div>
Yes there is, which is why Tac Ops watches <span style="font-style: italic">everything</span>. While the photos do show some of Tac Op's incredible attention to detail and craftsmanship what you see is just barely scratching the surface. Tac Ops obsessive machining procedures, extremely tight machining standards, and ultra-high quality surface finishes are intangibles whose benefits become immediately apparent when shooting.

Keith

What is the color on the barrel & action?
It looks great on a darker stock.
Is that Cerakote Coyote Brown?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eravelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the color on the barrel & action?
Is that Cerakote Coyote Brown?</div></div>

Its called Green-T from Walter Birdsong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eravelo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the color on the barrel & action?
Is that Cerakote Coyote Brown? </div></div>
No. My X-Ray 51 and both of Jamie's rifles are coated in Green-T and Black-T. However, while the barreled actions and bottom metal on both of Jamie's rifles and my X-Ray 51 are both Green-T and Black-T, the shade of Green-T on Jamie's rifles is known as <span style="font-style: italic">"Naval Warfare" Green-T.</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">"Naval Warfare" Green-T</span> is more Brown than the NATO O.D. <span style="font-style: italic">"Tac Ops" Green-T</span>, and is what is applied when non-Tac Ops customers' (work not sent through Tac Ops) send their guns in for Green-T coating. <span style="font-style: italic">"Tac Ops Green-T"</span> is a traditional NATO O.D. Green and used to be available to the public, but due to Tac Ops long relationship with Birdsong it is now only available through Tac Ops.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sig P228 finished in "<span style="font-style: italic">Naval Warfare</span>" Green-T and contrasting Black-T barrel, hammer, trigger, and controls:</span>
BlackGreen-T228LS8x6.jpg

BlackGreen-T228Controls-8x6.jpg

BlackGreen-T228Rear6x8.jpg

For comparison, below is my X-Ray 51 in "<span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops OD</span>" Green-T and Black-T. Again, <span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops OD Green-T</span> is more O.D. in color compared to <span style="font-style: italic">Naval Warfare Green-T</span>, and appears substantially "more green" than Naval Warfare Green-T in person. I played with the color a bit in the X-Ray 51 photo below to make the Tac Ops Green-T appear more like it does in-person. If your monitor's color reproduction is OK and calibrated decently the X-Ray will appear "greener" than the P228.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tac Ops X-Ray 51 finished in "<span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops OD</span>" Green-T and contrasting Black-T:</span>
X-Ray51RS28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Updated w/Leupold Mark 4 High rings in place of the Seekins High rings. In "<span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops OD</span>" Green-T and contrasting Black-T:</span>
X-Ray51CBwODRingsRS45Angle8x6.jpg

Keith

Rasheed, soon I will have pics. Hopefully in about 2 weeks.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here is my all Black-T Lima 63. { <span style="font-style: italic">(7.62x63) or 30-06</span> }
Im pretty sure its the first of its kind...</span>
All these photos were taken with a phone so sorry for the less then stellar photo quality...
Lima6310.jpg

Lima6312.jpg

Lima6321.jpg

Lima6317.jpg

Lima6314.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Yes, thats the Nightforce MLR reticle Mike put in the O.</span>
Lima637.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Load development day:</span></span>
Lima26.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">And the results:</span></span>

Limagroup.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">.055MOA, roughly 1/18th of an inch</span>
Beat Mike's test target of .060 MOA lol

It now has a Harris 6-9SBRM with podloc on it. Im thinking of either kryloning the stock or sending it back to Mike for some texturing, not quite sure yet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Here is my all Black-T Lima 63. { <span style="font-style: italic">(7.62x63) or 30-06</span> }
Im pretty sure its the first of its kind...</span>
All these photos were taken with a phone so sorry for the less then stellar photo quality...
Lima6310.jpg

Lima6312.jpg

Lima6321.jpg

Lima6317.jpg

Lima6314.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Yes, thats the Nightforce MLR reticle Mike put in the O.</span>
Lima637.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Load development day:</span></span>
Lima26.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">And the results:</span></span>

Limagroup.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">.055MOA, roughly 1/18th of an inch</span>
Beat Mike's test target of .060 MOA lol

It now has a Harris 6-9SBRM with podloc on it. Im thinking of either kryloning the stock or sending it back to Mike for some texturing, not quite sure yet...</div></div>

Do NOT krylon a Tac-ops! Send it back for texturing and be done. haha