• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post your AK’s for inspiration!! Ar guy thinking about getting my first AK

Let me know when your selling out your tooling and parts. I am always a buyer. I agree that the better your tooling and equipment the better your builds will be. But you can still build with a basic set of tools and have that feeling of accomplishment when you pull the trigger. I have seen some good and bad builds. If you have a really good and rare parts kit you need to do it right and have a better understanding and selection of the tooling to put out a finished product that even Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov would acknowledge as satisfactory. Its all about the personal feeling of accomplishment to make the best possible AK. I have not lost interest and just keep working on my process.
I disagree completely. The AK is the one gun that I wish that I had never gotten into building.
All the tools, jigs, the press, still having to farm out a bunch of the work to someone else unless you have a milling machine.
I could have had a couple really sweet factory guns for less than I spent getting into building.
I have one more kit, a 1966 Polish. Once that one is done, I’m selling all my tools and spares and never looking back.

If one were interested in building from a parts kit, 10 or so years ago was the time. The good stuff dried up a long time ago.

One in each proper caliber. I have made some changes since these pics were taken. 74 is a Bulgarian kit build. The 47 is an Arsenal/Saiga made in Russia. I am sitting on a new 88 Russian Izhmash kit that appears to be unfired. It's a shame they cut the barrel up on that kit. I haven't decided if I will build that one or not. I'm really liking the 5.45 caliber variant. Although the 47 I changed to the KNS piston and it's a soft shooter now.

74 build.jpg

Arsenal SGl-21.jpg

This thread has me thinking. The dark depths of the safe still has a few Mak90s & Maadis from those mid 90s gunshows. Probably a good time to cash those in. I think I paid $250 for AKs, $100 for the SKSs.😁
the norico and polytec’s are well loved in the ak community. Do you remember when people couldn’t give away a century arms ak, now people will pay 1000.00 for one.

Reactions: camocorvette
Loved my AK - need to get another one before it gets any harder. Never got into the AR platform as I always preferred the AK over the AR. Even prefer the Mini 30 / 14 over an AR.

I guess with the AR you can bolt more bling than a pimp's Cadillac onto it - if that's your thing...

So I feel like a total Boomer, because I bought this Arsenal SLR-107FR back in the early 2010’s back when it was “cheap” and forgot about it. I took it out, shot it a little, realized how much I loved the 103 series rifles. So I began modernizing it. ALG trigger, “Drop in” mlok hand guard from Midwest industries, BCM gunfighter grip, Surefire Scout Dual Fuel Pro, and a recently acquired Obzor optic.
2128AC03-02AC-4AAD-91CE-B426F26C2DE7.jpeg
94817FDB-A4F4-4A98-837E-6C0F8DDEDE4B.jpeg

Man the market on AK's has increased tremendously over the years. 10 years ago, I purchased my first AK variant, a WASR 10. Despite some concerns with WASRs back then (mainly magazine fitment and canted FS issues), they were still great rifles. I bought mine from a Marine being deployed for 260.00 with 3 mags.

I then progressed into an Arsenal SGL21-61, which my BIL purchased from me after the Obummer ban. Later on in life, I regretted selling that one too, especially when I got bitten by the AK bug about 6 months ago.

1200.00 WASR's, 1200 PSA-AK's, 1800 SAM7's, 2800 SGL's, etc, etc...it was kind of surprising how it had taken off. I ended up grabbing a PSAK-AK GF3, which I was pleasantly surprised at how good a quality the build was. Because I am an elitist, snob, asshole, it wasn't enough. A dude on barfcom was trying to trade a Plum SGL21 for an AR, which he ended up just selling to me outright.

I know many folks don't like the AK platform, but I do.

I have a wasr-10 I bought about 5 years ago the local farm store had them for 525.00 so I got the rifle and bought 2 case's of ammo . I first put a scope on it and was surprised how well it shot , but I didn't like the scope on the rifle ,so I put a c-more sight on and it was pretty cool but I grew tired of that and now I just run iron sight's. I did kill a deer using hornady 123 grain sst bullets . 75 yard shot nothing spectacular but noe the less it put meat I the freezer . I was shocked to see the price they are going for now .

tp1xLxc.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
Chinese Milled MAK, Russian VEPR, and Polish WBP.

Attachments

• VEPR.jpeg
    VEPR.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 49
  • MAK.jpg
    MAK.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 77
  • WBP.jpeg
    WBP.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 186
Also, Russian and Romy goodness. Then a pair of Chinese treats.

Attachments

• KIMG0686.JPG
    KIMG0686.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 20170227_113735.jpg
    20170227_113735.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: Simonsza1
I've never owned an AR, never felt the love. I have owned a Saiga 308 & a 12g (I converted both) and built an AMD65. Don't currently have an AK in my possession, however I did put a Draco on layaway at Bud's yesterday, just because it's the most politically incorrect gun I could buy!
So looking forward to customizing it.

D9682B89-5CFB-4EAC-85D7-0EEF1C7A63B8.jpeg

My fuck-around AKM that an authentic Russian dude in Texas built me lol. Thing is rock solid and a blast to shoot. Thought about slapping that sureshot mk3 chassis on it along with the zenitco pt-5 stock to make it a “modern” platform, but...rifle is fine.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Arsenal sam7

Attachments

• 4B45F2EB-AE85-4066-8C9D-E9278E7E5E45.jpeg
    4B45F2EB-AE85-4066-8C9D-E9278E7E5E45.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 721
  • 63974249-EEBB-40B0-A6F8-98CF3B3785D6.jpeg
    63974249-EEBB-40B0-A6F8-98CF3B3785D6.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 1,317
Newb to the hide and newb to the AK platform. Not new to firearms...been trading on a local forum for decades.
Could use some advice here. I have the opportunity to trade into an AK105 ALPHA FSB.
Base gun was a mint unfired Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-104FR.
Converted to AK105 by Mario at Piece of History firearms. All authentic Russian Zentico furniture used with Russian Cyrillic authenticity stamps.
If I do this trade I won’t be sticking my toe in the shallow end of the AK pool - I’ll be be jumping in the deep end blindfolded lol.
I have no idea how to value this on a trade deal. Thanks in advance for any advice here.

Not an AK but same ammo.
My buddy went with this. 1.5 MOA with Russian 123 gr. Runs it FA also without a problem. Recoil is straight back.

Newb to the hide and newb to the AK platform. Not new to firearms...been trading on a local forum for decades.
Could use some advice here. I have the opportunity to trade into an AK105 ALPHA FSB.
Base gun was a mint unfired Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-104FR.
Converted to AK105 by Mario at Piece of History firearms. All authentic Russian Zentico furniture used with Russian Cyrillic authenticity stamps.
If I do this trade I won’t be sticking my toe in the shallow end of the AK pool - I’ll be be jumping in the deep end blindfolded lol.
I have no idea how to value this on a trade deal. Thanks in advance for any advice here.

So with an Ak that is that heavily modified, and there are permanent modifications done, the base rifle itself loses value. Any of the add ons, I typically value at about 50% of new cost. Gunsmithing cost, I don't really add much value to.

Imo your build would be worth $2500-$3,000.

Around the same value as i believe my sgl 31 with zenitco furniture modified by definitive arms is worth.

Also, with that type of rifle, it'll sit on the market longer, and you have a more narrow range of buyers. Most people prefer traditional with aks

Last edited:
Reactions: Lionheart777
So with an Ak that is that heavily modified, and there are permanent modifications done, the base rifle itself loses value. Any of the add ons, I typically value at about 50% of new cost. Gunsmithing cost, I don't really add much value to.

Imo your build would be worth $2500-$3,000.

Around the same value as i believe my sgl 31 with zenitco furniture modified by definitive arms is worth.

Also, with that type of rifle, it'll sit on the market longer, and you have a more narrow range of buyers. Most people prefer traditional with aks
Thanks for the reply sir.