• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Post your SMK/Match bullet kills

Re: Post your SMK kills

No pictures of the damage but my 308 has dropped quite a few elk, high shoulder bone shots with 168's and 175's.

WheresyourManners-1-1.jpg

Haven't lost one yet out of 12 so far and almost every one was dropped like dirty laundry. Not saying they are, or are not what you should use but they will work when you do your job. Other bullet designs might increase your margin for error but if you put an SMK where you want it, game over.

People will find reasons why they don't like anything you can imagine. I think that most non lethal shots are not to blame on the bullet but some do better than others especially depending on where they are put into the target.

220gr SMK...

Amber2005Stacys220grSMK4.jpg
[/quote]

Ya know....These are best as "Steak's" but I guess if you like burger that much...To each his own
grin.gif

That's true. When you shoot 20-30 deer a year some aren't going to be perfect broadside shots....

175 smk, distance, 20', rifle, 300 w.m.

doesnt look too bad right?
15drnmu.jpg

same deer, skinned, looking at top side by front shoulders,
wl693t.jpg

coyote, ar 15, 77 smk.
16kxreu.jpg

175 smk didnt get a pic of the damages.

rh5214.jpg

Your a lucky guy! I imagine if you shoot that many, it dont really matter that much where ya hit'em. You got a fully stocked freezer I'm sure.

It matters, but sometimes it just happens that way. I do most of my killing with 243's now.

I am not a fan of using a bullet for big game hunting that was designed to punch paper. That said I have seen 6 caribou die with the 175 SMK. It took a total of 8 rounds to kill the 6 caribou. For that limited sample the SMK did a very good job.

I can not figure out how to post photos. I will have my 12 year old son help when he geth home from school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
16kxreu.jpg

</div></div>

And for the win!! as thee most disturbing pic I've seen in a long time.

novMDBuck09011.jpg

My buddy holding up a buck I killed with a 52gr SMK out of a .220 swift.

I don't, but if I recall, the bullet went in the left side of the ribcage(broadside),took out both lungs and left about a one inch diameter exit. He was close, only 50 or 60 yards. He ran about 35 yards before going down. One of the biggest bodied bucks I've killed and one of the best eating too!

This BEAST succombed to a 69gr SMK out of a 20" Rem700 SPS Tactical @ 949yds. It was DRT due to the headshot. NO thats not necessarily where I was aiming and it wasnt a first round hit, but I did have 3 witnesses.

rw5hyq.jpg

Oh yeah, the one in the background was killed with my 308 with a 175SMK. Center mass hit and he didnt travel far either, hahaha.

This thread needs a breath of life.
here is a 175 smk through a small coyote.

16" DTA covert 8 twist, 2530 FPS shot at 220 yds.

760902C7.jpg

1E1C5CB8.jpg

He "lined up" for the shot, so it did some good damage.

smile.gif

Call me an FNG or whatever but a lot of people are saying 'DRT'. My guess is it means 'Dead right there'. Can someone fill me in?

175 SMK out of 308. Almost a direct head on shot at roughly 100 yards. Entry wound went in neck just in front of left shoulder, no exit, he traveled about 10"s.....straight down,
But he did make a little "snow angel" in the dirt;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got it. Dont forget "DRFT" </div></div>

Thanks Coldbore. BTW, you anywhere near Logan, Utah? You guys have some beautiful country up there.

69 gr smk are devastating on NC does out as far as 500yd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JudasMac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got it. Dont forget "DRFT" </div></div>

Thanks Coldbore. BTW, you anywhere near Logan, Utah? You guys have some beautiful country up there. </div></div>

Yes we do, I'm south of Logan, near SLC. Not much coyote hunting can be done around here, too much hunting pressure. I just got home from Oregon, beautiful country there too. Didn't take my rifle with me because I was unaware of Or. gun laws, and I didn't want to risk anything. Caught some fish in the Columbia & Umatilla though. And of course I saw some coyotes standing around in a field.

220 smk 1050fps 300blk 9" barrel ar15 with SAS titanium suppressor... 88 yards with ATN ps22 NV. 270 lbs

pigpic.jpg

142 gr 6.5mm SMK, 300 yards...
2wrolyd.jpg

175 gr 7.62mm SMK, 180 yards...
upo47.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">142 gr 6.5mm SMK, 300 yards...
2wrolyd.jpg

175 gr 7.62mm SMK, 180 yards...
upo47.jpg
</div></div>

Question: Why do you shoot them in the head?

Answer: I had a tag and they were standing still.

Question: Why do you shoot them in the head?

Answer: I get what you are driving at. I actually practice and my rifle actually shoots groups compared to the patterns you are shooting.

I get asked those questions all the time.

Head shots make me happy. Good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JudasMac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got it. Dont forget "DRFT" </div></div>

Thanks Coldbore. BTW, you anywhere near Logan, Utah? You guys have some beautiful country up there. </div></div>

Yes we do, I'm south of Logan, near SLC. Not much coyote hunting can be done around here, too much hunting pressure. I just got home from Oregon, beautiful country there too. Didn't take my rifle with me because I was unaware of Or. gun laws, and I didn't want to risk anything. Caught some fish in the Columbia & Umatilla though. And of course I saw some coyotes standing around in a field. </div></div>

We do have some great land as well. And despite the liberal majority here in the great northwest, our gun laws are surprisingly lenient. Look me up next time your up this way and maybe we can get some 'sage rats' to regret your trip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's an SMK? </div></div>

Now thats some funny shit, been here for over 8yrs and have over 900 posts and had to ask what an SMK was!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's an SMK? </div></div>

Now thats some funny shit, been here for over 8yrs and have over 900 posts and had to ask what an SMK was! </div></div>

I don't reload, nor buy much hunting ammo so while i know what Sierra Match king is, I didn't know what SMK was

I bet there's a lot you don't know also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's an SMK? </div></div>

Now thats some funny shit, been here for over 8yrs and have over 900 posts and had to ask what an SMK was! </div></div>

I don't reload, nor buy much hunting ammo so while i know what Sierra Match king is, I didn't know what SMK was

I bet there's a lot you don't know also </div></div>

Lighten up Francis. I just thought it was comical, that's all.

not as comical as your chinese monkey face...

lighten up dude, i'm kidding...

Pasted a coyote today... sorry no pics, but after I hit 'em, he tumbled into a wash full of poison oak, and I aint goin in after him. Hit em at about 200y, Remington 700 300 win mag, 200G SMK, 77g h-1000. Judging from the mess behind where he was standing, I dont think he made it. Maybe some pics next time.

Primarily the size of the deer and placement of shot. I have shot many deer at the base of the neck as these, and barreled completely through trees behind. Knowing the energy still behind the round, and being confident in the fact these bullets have not once fragmented in an animal for me.
I knew that the projectile would have sufficient energy and weight to make a clean, ethical kill.

I will also note that my furthest kill with the 240 smk is over 575yds on a deer roughly this size, these were shot at a distance of 75 and 90 yards, respectively

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: critter capper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I will also note that my furthest kill with the 240 smk is over 575yds on a deer roughly this size, these were shot at a distance of 75 and 90 yards, respectively</div></div>

So these two deer were 15 yds apart and you intentionally tried to hit them both?

And don't heckle me about an ethical kill. I knew they were both going to die quickly. This shot was no more unethical than any kill at ELR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Critter_Capper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And don't heckle me about an ethical kill </div></div> No heckling, just curious how you knew what direction the bullet was going to go upon exiting the first deer.

With the placement of my shot, I knew I would only incur soft tissue, so any deflection (of which there was none) would be little at best. Sorry to seem defensive, have been preached to on the ethics of this shot more than I care to discuss. Guess because some people aren't comfortable they feel others shouldn't be, either

DSC_0686.jpg

Here are 3 from Monday evening. You can fill your 6 deer limit in one day if you want so I tried. The first one maybe ran 25 yards the second one 75 the third DRT. All using 175SMK out of my 18inch OBR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Critter_Capper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And don't heckle me about an ethical kill. I knew they were both going to die quickly. This shot was no more unethical than any kill at ELR. </div></div>

I'll bust on you for making an unethical shot. I kill 25-40 deer a year on a high fence ranch. I watch twice that number die. Then I shoot pigs and exotics. The one predictable thing about bullet behavior in tissue is that it's completely unpredictable. I wouldn't have taken that shot with the deer five feet apart, let alone fifteen yards. You got lucky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes126</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll bust on you for making an unethical shot. I kill 25-40 deer a year on a high fence ranch. I watch twice that number die. Then I shoot pigs and exotics. The one predictable thing about bullet behavior in tissue is that it's completely unpredictable. I wouldn't have taken that shot with the deer five feet apart, let alone fifteen yards. You got lucky. </div></div>

This sums up what I was thinking, though I dont shoot 25-40 deer a year. I have seen many many animals of all kinds shot, and it never ceases to amaze me how bullets can do strange unpredictable things, regardless of soft or hard tissue. The likelyhood of a bullet staying on straight path after passing through one animal and hitting a second one seems quite lucky indeed.