• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Posted here because the legit medical establishment has no credibility.....

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Posted in the keto diet thread and might as well post it here because I have come to the conclusion that the establishment medical community has as much credibility as "The View".

So there I was Wednesday night...

My Mother In Law came over for her birthday and her brand of dementia has her thinking everyone on the TV is someone she knows and they were in Boston together, So I'm drinking a small work night glass of whiskey and listening to her say as Tucker Carlson speaks "He's a nice boy, he is in Boston now look, we did lots of things together" and I am disturbed by the possibilities of what she imagines they did together.

Than.......my back begins to hurt. Hurt like really uncomfortable.

I mention "Man my back hurts I'm done" knowing my wife is thinking "You fuck, you can't sit down here while my Mom has ice cream?"

So I go upstairs hop in the shower and think the pulsing of the hot water on my back feels really good because this is really uncomfortable.

Go in lay down in bed and think "Man if someone took a lance and stabbed it down just under my left rib cage and penetrated until it exited just where some lefty would appendix carry this is probably what that would feel like".

And it's not getting better.

So the pain gets to the point it actually makes me puke, and never having had that's happen before, I'm thinking this is going to end up in the hospital. My daughter having already texted Mom having heard me losing my guts which I admit can sound horrifying my wife is asking if she needs to come home from getting her mother settled back at the place.

I'm pretty sure by now this is a kidney stone, never had suffered one but have heard stories AND it's been kind of in the back of my mind eating a keto diet for some 4 or more years now.

Trip to Mass General, it's snowing out, every ambulance that comes in has some screaming homeless person complaining of being in pain level 10 and "needing something" while I sit stoically and suck it up.

Dumb move. I got there about 2230 and didn't get seen until 0330 because I wasn't in pain like the dudes that knew the game and got some meds and a warm bed.

So an intern sees me. I give her my suspicions. She says she will send the attending in and my wife and I sit for another half hour before I said fuck this and we left. I actually think the bumpy ride in on the snow covered roads may have been a helping factor as I started to feel better after leaving the car.

Now last night I'm getting ready to go to bed, taking the night leak, everything's going swimmingly when all of a sudden "squib round"! Couldn't stop the piss if I wanted to most times but now the water works are shut down, sudden burning, build up of propellant pressure and suddenly "6.5 manbun".

IMG_0659.JPG

Standard size napkin for reference. Yes I reached in through the piss to pick it out because curiosity wasn't going to let that projectile not be scrutinized.

So what do keto peeps think? Cause of the diet? Result of my 12 oz a day coffee habit.

Sadly I've become more sedentary over the last year, PT is about a 30 minute per day total now and most of the day is chair bound. I probably drink two nalgene 32 ouncers of water a day.

Any keto dieter advice for avoiding kidney stones?

Don't want to stop eating this way as I feel good and the food is so good.....

IMG_0658.JPG

Last edited:
    Posted in the keto diet thread and might as well post it here because I have come to the conclusion that the establishment medical community has as much credibility as "The View".

My Mother In Law came over for her birthday and her brand of dementia has her thinking everyone on the TV is someone she knows and they were in Boston together, So I'm drinking a small work night glass of whiskey and listening to her say as Tucker Carlson speaks "He's a nice boy, he is in Boston now look, we did lots of things together" and I am disturbed by the possibilities of what she imagines they did together.

I mention "Man my back hurts I'm done" knowing my wife is thinking "You fuck, you can't sit down here while my Mom has ice cream?"

So I go upstairs hop in the shower and think the pulsing of the hot water on my back feels really good because this is really uncomfortable.

Go in lay down in bed and think "Man if someone took a lance and stabbed it down just under my left rib cage and penetrated until it exited just where some lefty would appendix carry this is probably what that would feel like".

So the pain gets to the point it actually makes me puke, and never having had that's happen before, I'm thinking this is going to end up in the hospital. My daughter having already texted Mom having heard me losing my guts which I admit can sound horrifying my wife is asking if she needs to come home from getting her mother settled back at the place.

I'm pretty sure by now this is a kidney stone, never had suffered one but have heard stories AND it's been kind of in the back of my mind eating a keto diet for some 4 or more years now.

Trip to Mass General, it's snowing out, every ambulance that comes in has some screaming homeless person complaining of being in pain level 10 and "needing something" while I sit stoically and suck it up.

Dumb move. I got there about 2230 and didn't get seen until 0330 because I wasn't in pain like the dudes that knew the game and got some meds and a warm bed.

So an intern sees me. I give her my suspicions. She says she will send the attending in and my wife and I sit for another half hour before I said fuck this and we left. I actually think the bumpy ride in on the snow covered roads may have been a helping factor as I started to feel better after leaving the car.

Now last night I'm getting ready to go to bed, taking the night leak, everything's going swimmingly when all of a sudden "squib round"! Couldn't stop the piss if I wanted to most times but now the water works are shut down, sudden burning, build up of propellant pressure and suddenly "6.5 manbun".

View attachment 8083346

Standard size napkin for reference. Yes I reached in through the piss to pick it out because curiosity wasn't going to let that projectile not be scrutinized.

So what do keto peeps think? Cause of the diet? Result of my 12 oz a day coffee habit.

Sadly I've become more sedentary over the last year, PT is about a 30 minute per day total now and most of the day is chair bound. I probably drink two nalgene 32 ouncers of water a day.

View attachment 8083345
    Yikes !! 😳
    Glad you got it passed. No useful advice , except they have meds for stone prevention. Uncle had them often until he started on Allopurinol …
    Hope you get to feeling better , and can resume PT soon 👍. 🇺🇸

Yikes !! 😳
    Glad you got it passed. No useful advice , except they have meds for stone prevention. Uncle had them often until he started on Allopurinol …
    Hope you get to feeling better , and can resume PT soon 👍. 🇺🇸

Felt fine the next day 'cept for the lack of sleep.

I think the trip from kidney to bladder is where the problems occur.

Bladder to bowl is just a quick burn and the realization the bore just ran some JB paste.

Took it easy on the Peloton yesterday morning. We got snow on the ground now. Ran twice the week before when it was forties now it's snow covered and expecting a storm this week.

Wish I was an old man PT stud living in the south.

I’m not an expert on anything.

But a few years back we were on a diet that wasn’t exactly Keto, but it was pretty damn close.

I passed a few of these little bastards but I chocked it up to the creatine I was using.

I quit the creatine and didn’t pass any more of them.

I definitely wasn’t taking in as much water as I should have.

Reactions: Sandhog308
    Lol 😆 I am a old man , that’s for sure.
    Just finished running a 6 miler in a cool steady rain. Last day off was October 7 , 2022.
    You will get a handle on the stones , just wished the medical community was more helpful. My Uncle was a tough SOB , the only time I saw him hurting/ crying was because of stones.

Reactions: oneshot86
    I occasionally go down the kidney stone road, usually the result of dehydration.
    When so afflicted a couple days of apple cider vinegar will break them down. Never had any pain passing them…..thankfully…

Have tried several types but the best tasting by far is from Bragg.
    9XyZbG.jpg

Stay away from Heinz as that shit is beyond harsh.

I'm no expert, and don't do keto, but when I had kidney stones, I had more than a few people tell me to drink lemon juice every morning. It keeps them from forming supposedly.

I believe the reason I started getting them was the Monster energy drinks I would drink almost every day. I quit drinking them, and the problem went away. A little while later, I thought I would try another one. Drank about half of it, and started getting the pain again. Dumped the rest out, and haven't touched another one since.

The biggest stone I had was 9mm, and I was scheduled to have it blasted to break it apart. Got to the hospital and was all prepped for surgery. One last x-ray to pinpoint it's current location, and they couldn't find it. It must have broken apart on its own. I got very lucky.

Worst pain I've ever felt. I hope you figure this out, because it truly sucks.

• Wow
    Reactions: gigamortis
    @pmclaine hope that you are feeling better.

Fortunately, I have not had the kidney stone affliction. My wife, however, has a collection, as she has generated a lot of them in the past. If she still has them I will post a pic here.

I have no medical proof, but at times over the years she has taken , in my opinion, an extreme amount of vitamins and supplements, and drank little water throughout the day. Not sure if there is a correlation, but that's my take/opinion on her cause.

I've looked at them with a magnifying lens, jagged little bastards. And as you mentioned, can be extremely painful.

Reactions: pmclaine
    I occasionally go down the kidney stone road, usually the result of dehydration.
    When so afflicted a couple days of apple cider vinegar will break them down. Never had any pain passing them…..thankfully…

9XyZbG.jpg

I was drinking a tablespoon of that a day at one point.

I have a bottle downstairs.

I’ll have at it again.

Thank you.

Reactions: Maggot

9XyZbG.jpg

THis, or as Josh suggests, lemon juice. The stones are formed from calcium. Acid (vinegar or lemon juice) will dissolve them. Bragg's is great stuff, you can take it straight. And cut down on the calcium foods.

Father inlaw has them... He takes Cranberry Pills everyday and hasnt had an issue in years but he has 2 big ones they want to take out and he wont let them .. hasnt had an episode in years but occasionally get back pain.. 75 years old and has the energy of a 20 year old.

^^^ I’ve had 5 stones and my last one was rough. After surgical removal, they analyzed it and it was composed of calcium oxalate (most common type). The urologist basically told me the same as above - drink more water and limit animal proteins.

Reactions: Salad_shooter
    Of the 4 types of kidney stones, calcium oxalate stones are the most common. The calcium in your body binds with oxalates in the food you eat and end up forming stones.

Avoid foods like dark green veggies, certain types of beans, excess sugar and sodium
    And other foods high in oxalate content.

I personally had to give up sugary energy drinks as I think it was a prime culprit to a few of the 7 stones I've passed. Even had to have a big one blasted with shock wave lithotripisy before it would pass.

I've heard a warm beer or two can help pass stones because of the diuretic properties of alcohol. Not sure why it's gotta be warm, but that's the lore I've been told.

Sorry to hear about your stone, shits shitty. Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: BLEE and NoDopes
    Of the 4 types of kidney stones, calcium oxalate stones are the most common. The calcium in your body binds with oxalates in the food you eat and end up forming stones.

Avoid foods like dark green veggies, certain types of beans, excess sugar and sodium
    And other foods high in oxalate content.

I personally had to give up sugary energy drinks as I think it was a prime culprit to a few of the 7 stones I've passed. Even had to have a big one blasted with shock wave lithotripisy before it would pass.

I've heard a warm beer or two can help pass stones because of the diuretic properties of alcohol. Not sure why it's gotta be warm, but that's the lore I've been told.

Sorry to hear about your stone, shits shitty. Hope you feel better soon.
    This^^^

Take the stone to be tested

You’ll need to know what the core of the stone is.

May times the stone is a aggregate so you need to know the primary driver

Ex: if it’s calcium based ..You might need more calcium in your diet or you might need less..that’s where the docs come in

Generic answers to all atones

More water
    Don’t hold your piss
    Full glass of water for every beer/glass of wine

Kidney stones run in my family. My dad and his sister both have had issues with them. They say that stuff skips a generation and I hope that's correct because I've seen what they go through and I want none of it.

My dad has passed a couple and once passed out from the pain. First time I ever saw that happen to him. The only thing that helps him pass them is a shot of morphine, it's the only thing that can relax him enough to pass them. Most doctors treat him like a drug addict looking for a fix when he relays his situation to them but there's one Dr about an hour from us that understands his case. He gets the shot then goes home and passes the stone.

My aunts case is a little different. Her stone is one that can't be broken up with ultrasonic and it's taking up roughly 98% of her left kidney. She's been living with it for going on 35 years or so, refuses to have it removed, and lives in extreme pain.

One thing that has helped to reduce its size though has been a drink she mixes with apple cider vinegar and something else. But that causes her a different pain, basically just passing gravel. No fun.

@pmclaine , if your drinking 64oz of water a day you need to step it up. That's one thing my dad is religious about. Rule of thumb is half your body weight a day in ounces just for basic function. Add any physical exertion to that and it goes up quick. I'm at roughly 40oz for the day right now (plus my cup of coffee) and I got up late this morning at 6:15.

There's some rescue squad in the airforce I think that's required to drink an astronomical amount of water per day, I can't remember how much exactly but it was several gallons. Mental sharpness was the reason for it if I'm remembering right. Saw it on the history Channel.

As to the keto thing, I don't think that's your issue with the stones. My parents have done the keto thing pretty heavy in the past and my dad's last issue was well before he was doing keto. Eat good food, supplement where you need to, unless you're growing a lot of your own food you're not getting proper nutrition from your food alone. And find you a good naturopath Dr. I see one about once a year and get my diet plan and supplements lined our for the year.

I kept my kidney doctor on speed dial. He has blasted 3 stones too large for me to pass in the past 8 years. Not sure how many I have passed on my own. An x-ray of my kidney looked like a bunch of grapes! Had one analyzed several years ago and was advised to stop using salt. I was adding salt to most of my food, wife hid the salt and stopped cooking with it. The stones have not reared their ugly head for a year or so now. I also always have a water bottle in my hand and try to drink 80-100 ounces/day.

I was speaking to a Hide member a few years ago, he and his kids mostly ate steak because they had a ranch, and the steak was "free". He had a tremendous ongoing problem with kidney stones. He was eating steak 3x/day from what I remember. We did not discuss salt intake.

Wow, it's like this. We can do this the 'short version' or we can do this the 'long version'

I'm going to go with the 'short version' here, for the sake of bandwidth.
    The kidney doesn't normally process-out (filter out) calcium, because your body needs calcium all over. BUT, the process that the kidney uses to filter out the excess levels of SALT just happens to also take out the calcium.
    Now, think of it this way. The higher the concentration of these dilutes, the more apt they are to form a 'crystal'. Remember science class in high school when you made either salt crystals or Copper Sulphate ones? Exact same process applies.

Oxylate is another item that is in many different foods. The 3 most common are spinach, swiss-chard, and rhubarb. There are many others, but those are the prime candidates. Again, in the forming of crystals, those two fit together and bond perfectly.

I've had a number of different hospital situations involving these bastards. A few were completely horrific, and worse than any Hollywood writer could come-up-with if they were paid to. A few weeks later, I actually had to go back into the hospital for a while, so that they could 'put me back together' and repair damages.

Reduce your salt intake, suggestion ONE
    Drink more water, suggestion TWO

I'm not a salesman, nor am I invested in any company involving this, but I have found ONE THING that actually helps both reduce the size of the formed stones, as well as 'weakens' the stones so-that-they crumble and fall apart.

(Believe me when I tell you, pissing an over-bore bullet is a HELL of a lot more painful than pissing sand.)

"Cleaver's Tea"

No, I'd never heard of it either until my sister found some because of my situation. I had absolutely NOTHING to lose, so I made a number of pots of that stuff over the next few days. That is where I'd learned about the 'sand' difference. Yes, obviously we have some of those 'piss-funnel/sieves' with the VERY fine screen and it'd surprise you what-all it catches. Now we ALWAYS have 'Cleaver's Tea' on hand.

As well as certain prescription muscle-relaxers that are aimed at the area that actually DO work.
    As well as a prescription for Hydro-Morphone, because that is how bad the pain can be. When the stone breaks free from the kidney and attempts to travel down the Ureter to the bladder, this is where the majority of the pain comes from. It is exacerbated by the jaggedness of the stone itself, which catches, tears, shreds, and 'wedges' in there. Not unlike a containership in the Suez. Once it reaches the bladder, then things are 'better', but, there is still "miles of tubage" between your bladder and the outside.

I get that everyone's metabolism is different, and all that. But try the 'Cleaver's Tea'... you might very-well be surprised.

And yeah, the 'long version' truly is a LOT Longer with plenty more action, a number of ambulances, a number of hospitals, and a number of surgeries. Multiple-day stays inside, of course. But it was the 'attempted' surgeries and such that hurt the most.

I'm no expert, and don't do keto, but when I had kidney stones, I had more than a few people tell me to drink lemon juice every morning. It keeps them from forming supposedly.

I believe the reason I started getting them was the Monster energy drinks I would drink almost every day. I quit drinking them, and the problem went away. A little while later, I thought I would try another one. Drank about half of it, and started getting the pain again. Dumped the rest out, and haven't touched another one since.

The biggest stone I had was 9mm, and I was scheduled to have it blasted to break it apart. Got to the hospital and was all prepped for surgery. One last x-ray to pinpoint it's current location, and they couldn't find it. It must have broken apart on its own. I got very lucky.

Worst pain I've ever felt. I hope you figure this out, because it truly sucks.
    Love the 9mm analogy 😳

Lemon juice in your water.
    Knudsen just cranberry juice.
    Gravel root and or Joe Pie weed.
    Cleavers as Sean mentioned.

Joe pie weed is everywhere. You need the roots. Clean dry and grind. About a teaspoon weekly made in tea.

Strawberries....believe it or not.

May want to switch to distilled water for a bit as well. Keep in mind you shouldn't drink distilled exclusively, but good to flush the system.
    Keeping urinary tract slightly acidic is a good thing.
    Since you've passed a stone, id get some cranberry to flush and heal the tract.

Keto causing kidney stones? Nah. Bullshit.

Lemon juice in your water.
    Knudsen just cranberry juice.
    Gravel root and or Joe Pie weed.
    Cleavers as Sean mentioned.

Joe pie weed is everywhere. You need the roots. Clean dry and grind. About a teaspoon weekly made in tea.

Strawberries....believe it or not.

May want to switch to distilled water for a bit as well. Keep in mind you shouldn't drink distilled exclusively, but good to flush the system.
    Keeping urinary tract slightly acidic is a good thing.
    Since you've passed a stone, id get some cranberry to flush and heal the tract.

Keto causing kidney stones? Nah. Bullshit.
    Problem with distilled is not knowing the make up of the stone.

Distilled removes essential minerals from your body.

If you are calcium deficient and are not taking a supplement you will cause your body to hold on to every last bit..or the exact opposite…causing more stones

Ex. Distilled pulls out vitamin d and k, which are essential for calcium absorption and distribution. So even taking a supplement will actually cause the kidneys to filter more calcium out if your body causing stone creation.

Besides hydration stone make up drives treatment.

Problem with distilled is not knowing the make up of the stone.

Distilled removes essential minerals from your body.

If you are calcium deficient and are not taking a supplement you will cause your body to hold on to every last bit..or the exact opposite…causing more stones

Ex. Distilled pulls out vitamin d and k, which are essential for calcium absorption and distribution. So even taking a supplement will actually cause the kidneys to filter more calcium out if your body causing stone creation.

Besides hydration stone make up drives treatment.

looks like a calcium stone to me.
    Yeah he should stick to a doctors advice. They hate return business.

Drink water with fresh lemons.

I know the medical profession has lost credibility in your eyes and for good reason, but there is a non-opioid medication that helps kidney stone discomfort by topically numbing the urinary tract system as well as integrating a low grade antibiotic element called Uribel. Often not covered by insurance (not awful with Good Rx).

I have had a kidney stone once and it was nothing like yours. The pain was a 12 on a 10 scale. Went from feeling great to being curled up in a ball with the worst pain I ever had in about an hour. You were lucky to say the least.

Hospital gave me a med called ketorolac toradol which stopped the pain and the stone passed in a day or so.

I have a negative opinion of the keto diet which is basically the Atkins repackaged...they are very similar. I got the stone after 1.5 years of following Atkins...have never had another one. I have no proof of a connection but it seems somewhat unlikely that there is no connection. These diets do stress the kidneys.

Just eat a balanced diet and you will be better off

Reactions: HD1911
    Have it analyzed, be happy it was 6.5CM and not .375HH or 50cal... and its round not spikey...

View attachment 8083346

View attachment 8083345
    That's a big fucker. I had my kidney stone 3 day after I got out of the army. It was about the size of a grain of sand, and put me in the fetal position like I was a mis-gendered liberal without a safe space.....at a time in my life I was in the best shape a man could be, and I thought that I was a tough as it got.

Mine was a calcium buildup, from a combination of too much milk, and soda consumption...presumably. I used to be a huge milk drinker, would go through 3-4 gallons a week. I'm 43 now, I don't drink as much, but there are times where I get a 'kick' of sorts and my wife knows now. When a half gallon is gone in a day, she goes to the store and buys 2 gallons for me. I don't drink soda hardly at all anymore, and most of my beverage consumption is just water.

I need to look into the Keto diet. I need to lose some weight cause karting season is in a month....and I need to make sure my fatass fits in the seat.

Branden

Actually I've heard kidney stones is like shooting a 6.5 through a 22.

Women prefer childbirth pain over stones.
    Have had it described to me as:
    First it hurt so much you were afraid you are going to die.
    Then it hurt so much you are afraid you won't...

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Women prefer childbirth pain over stones.
    My wife went through childbirth a few times with no meds at all and she said that passing a stone was worse because with labor the pain comes and goes, with the stone it was hours on end non-stop.

Damn man.... just catching up on that!

Glad you are doing better! Stone like that, if you had been pointing the wrong way, you could have shot the cat!

Surprised they didn't tell you have Covid and make you get a vax... Because that's all the hospitals and doctors seem to care about.

I have a private practice physician up here... and FFS, all he does is send out newsletters about Covid. Get a Vaxx. Covid... More Covid. Long Covid. Deep Covid? Not Vaxxed yet? I haven't even gone for two damn years because last time I went it was for a tick bite with a big bullseye around it... and he wanted to talk Covid!!! FFS... I'm thinking I have lyme and he is thinking I'm getting Covid from a goddamned tick!

Also pushes statin's on everyone... and while my Cholesterol is 'slightly' elevated, I have good BP, walk miles every day and did a 40 mile ruck march fundraiser last spring... (over 4 days...).

BUT COVID!!!! COVID!!!

Anyway, glad you are doing well! And sucks about the stone.

And, yes, the medical community is completely retarded at this point. Maybe we do need the Chinese to take over. Betting some of those herbs and acupuncture needles are better than what Pfizer and Moderna are pushing.

Sirhr

Was surprised that no one in the hospital asked at all about my vax status.

We were in there two years ago for my wife to get her appendix out and they were crazy about it.

I had to leave as the kids were home alone and she said as she was getting wheeled in the anasthesiologist asked why she wasn't vaxxed.

She said she just didn't need it and he said "We can do it while you are asleep"

Creepy people in the Med community.

I can't believe you actually passed that large of a stone. That thing should have killed you. lol

Forget all of the diet stuff listed above, eat whatever you want. I've had a lot of stones and if I even feel pressure in my back now I start chugging lemon juice. If I even think about kidney stones I hit the lemon juice. The green bottles of concentrated lemon juice. I get a shot glass and take several shots a day as needed, chase it with water. If it's really bad I chug it straight out of the bottle. The vinegar probably works but I can't handle the vinegar taste at all.

Oh and don't sit down! Keep moving, it helps move them on through. But what do they do when you go to the hospital, stick an IV in your arm, shoot you up with morphine and have you lay in a bed.

What are you using for water?

I had to put a filter on the sink at one house. The well water was so high in minerals that after about 3 months I started getting stones.

Filtered the water and no issues since.

I eat keto quite often but not as a serious diet. Wife has a gluten intolerance so we just don't eat much bread or pasta. A normal meal around here is steak, with asparagus or salad. Lots of shrimp and fish to. Salt and pepper on everything. I do enjoy having an 8oz red bull with lunch. But generally it's water, and whiskey at night.

My advice is you get off keto and onto a diet that is sustainable long term. When I started my diet / fitness journey I was 260lbs. Im at 193lbs now.

The lowest I ever took my carbs was 125g a day. And after 1.5yrs of that I started to feel miserable.

Keto diets are even more restrictive. Yeah putting yourself into ketosis will help you shed fat. The bay part is that the weight will fly back on when you exit ketosis…which you eventually will do. Because restricting carbs like that is a miserable way to live and eventually you’ll crack.

never had any myself. my brother has had a pile of them. he used to drink a lot of mt dew.

last one he had, was so big, they had to go threw his back and surgically remove it. he had a hole in his back that was leaking for 3 days. he doesn't drink mt. dew anymore.

• Wow
    Reactions: gigamortis
    Lots of good advice on prevention here.

BUT.... IMO if this was your first ever I wouldn't change anything. Maybe if you get another within a few yrs.

Best description I got from a patient (female, passing her 56th stone):

"It's like birthing a baby wrapped in barb-wire" o_O

You can always get your PCP to order a KUB XR (CT is more sensitive, more expensive, and way more rads) to see if there are any monsters waiting in the wings.

Had my fair share of kidney stones & a couple of surgerys from them too.
    As everyone has said, drink more water & I know a heap of people who swear by stinging nettle tea once a day for prevention of stones.