• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Potential Team Safari train-up in Central Texas

jwalcik

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2013
Austin, TX
I'm signed up to shoot the Competition Dynamics Team Safari match with a buddy in October. The match format is pretty different from what I've shot in the past, so we're looking at options to get some practice with the setup/range/engage process required. I've reached out to one of the instructors at Reveille Peak Ranch (in Burnet, TX, near Austin). He'd be willing to put together a day of private training targeted at the skills needed for the Team Safari.

Challenge is, the cost of a day of custom training is a bit pricey. He said that if we can find another team who'd like to join us, he would be good to work with two teams for roughly the same price as it would cost for one. Is there anyone else in the central Texas area that's signed up to shoot the Team Safari who would be interested in a day of training at a facility with great natural terrain shooting positions and interesting wind calls?

Reactions: AustinTom
@davere and I might be interested in the training, even though we are not shooting the Team Safari match. Would love to one day when life settles down and can get out past local day matches.

Reactions: davere
@jwalcik Don't waste you time and money trying to set up your own course. If you are serious about this match and wanna learn the format and do well, you have 3 options.

Option 1: Go shoot the Team Safari and get your ass handed to you (day 1) and gradually get better through the weekend. You will show up "year 2" with a lot better plan and do better and have more fun.

Option 2: Go train with Whalen. You will learn way more about the course, property and general shooting than you would anywhere else and shooting the Safari twice.

Option 3: Shoot the Steel Safari by yourself. You will eat shit; but you will take those lessons and train your partner and do much better in the Team Safari.

Whatever you do, you are gonna have fun and will like the match and the challenge. I actually feel like I learn things shooting these matches; unlike shooting PMS/NRL; where I just feel like a circus-bear riding a bicycle when I finish.

Shoot me a PM if you need any info that I can help provide. Cheers, Delfuego

Reactions: stevenc23
I'm signed up to shoot the Competition Dynamics Team Safari match with a buddy in October. The match format is pretty different from what I've shot in the past, so we're looking at options to get some practice with the setup/range/engage process required. I've reached out to one of the instructors at Reveille Peak Ranch (in Burnet, TX, near Austin). He'd be willing to put together a day of private training targeted at the skills needed for the Team Safari.

Challenge is, the cost of a day of custom training is a bit pricey. He said that if we can find another team who'd like to join us, he would be good to work with two teams for roughly the same price as it would cost for one. Is there anyone else in the central Texas area that's signed up to shoot the Team Safari who would be interested in a day of training at a facility with great natural terrain shooting positions and interesting wind calls?

The Blue Steel Ranch is offering a Steel Safari Prep Class if you can swing going out there.