• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Potroast with a bit of Habanero for flavor....

Meat loaf
Wrapped in bacon

My wife made it for Christmas a few years ago.
She asked what I wantd for Christmas dinner, I gave the smartass answer of candle lit meatloaf. It was awesome
On the Big Green Egg, served in cat head biscuits!

Did you sear it or anything after taking it out of the bag?

Fixed spelling.... sear, not wear.
"wear" is way funnier....

......here's the "meat dress" Lady GaGa wore......sort of.....in this video....sort of...

Opera Snapshot_2022-01-14_172014_duckduckgo.com.png

I value my community's sense of humor.

If you haven't seen a tranny Lady GaGa impersonator in a meat dress with Yolandi Visser in blackface....

.......here's your chance, also worth mentioning is the Kanye crazy set backgrounds....let's just say there's a lot to be offended by and laugh at.

I do. Some advocate searing before the sous vide. I need to think a bit more on this before giving advice, but the science I understand indicates searing after the sous vide.
I sear after for steak, chicken breast, pork chops, etc. would make sense for the roast, too.

Best part of a roast is making hash with the leftovers

I've been doing dutch over w/ lid some lately. Little olive oil. Sometimes I brown it before going in the oven. Let it cook all day at ~180. If I do elec slow cooker I add a can of beef broth to it. I like the dutch oven better, wife prefers crock pot.
My mom would fix a roast in a skillet with potatoes, carrots and onions. The roast was charred and the potatoes, carrots onion were blackened and caramelized.

Everything was sweeter, drier and had more flavor than from a crock pot, which is more like a stew.

My mom never showed me exactly how she did it. Anyone got a good technique?

Crock pots are for women that are to busy with other work.

Season and sear your pot roast in a large skillet on all sides, use a little oil. Oil a roasting pan and add meat, potatoes, carrots and mushrooms.

In same skillet brown some thick onion slices / chunks then add them in roasting pan. Add any fufu spices on top.

Deglaze skillet with a box of beef broth and poor that into roasting pan. Cook covered for a couple hours and then uncover till done.

Use a remote meat thermometer and quit opening the damn door.

Poor out liquid and put back in skillet to make gravey.

That's what @TexPatriot is looking for I think.

I guess you could cook them the same?
Yeah pretty much, been a good while so theyed probably come out mediocre lol. Put enough hot sauce it won’t matter anyway 😆

Some red beans with andouille sounds good too. I’ve been eating like shit the last few months, may as well do chili or beans with corn bread before I start eating decent again.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
A friend gave me about a pound (maybe a hair under) of frozen beef tenderloin. How should I prepare it?

A friend gave me about a pound (maybe a hair under) of frozen beef tenderloin. How should I prepare it?
Boil it.

If I was cooking it I'd season with salt, black pepper and some rosemary. Sous vide about 130-something for 1.5 hrs. Dry well, remove rosemary and sear on either a screaming hot grill or iron skillet. Probably better ways but that's what I'd do.

Reactions: Makinchips208
I guess you could cook them the same?
I can cook pinto's good but I like butter beans better, especially when they're creamy and have ham.

But when I soaked butter beans the night before, I woke up and they had all split open and looked like little freshwater clamshells. I tossed them and never tried again.

Meat loaf
Wrapped in bacon

My wife made it for Christmas a few years ago.
She asked what I wantd for Christmas dinner, I gave the smartass answer of candle lit meatloaf. It was awesome

Just did a stuffed meatloaf wrapped in bacon last weekend on the smoker. Sautéed onions and jalapeños, added cheese and rolled it up. Pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I guess I was thinking of the white navy beans that are same size as pinto beans.

Only beans I saw split open like that was what I have overcooked.

Not just any pinto bean, Cahone pinto beans. A variety created around this corner of the world and adapted to grow dry land. Most of the bean farmers around here raise this kind. Easy to taste the difference. Local folks won't eat irrigated beans, say they don't taste "rite".

Thank you,
MrSmith

Snowed and blowed last night/this morning....sub zero windchills all day.
:(
Chopped up a bunch of top sirloin, coated in flour, added some butter, salt, fresh ground pepper and seared the hell out of it.
Added a bunch of chopped shallots and a bunch of mushrooms and some of that 'better than bullion' beef base.
Add some soy sauce, some A1, some worchestershire and cover with water and let simmer for an hour or so.
Gonna put it over some jasmine rice but noodles would work as well.
Very deep, dark, beef flavor going on.
Yea it's a good cold weather dish.

Shepherds pie with lamb from the awesome butcher shop in town and my 2 day veal stock/demi. Makes on hell of a base for the whipped potato topping loaded with butter and parm. I just started the base, and I’ll have it tomorrow for supper.

homer-drooling-animated-gif-14.gif

Reactions: akmike47
roast.jpg

Fine, first one came out so good I am making another tomorrow.

Potroast was seared on BBQ to get some bark/crust on the outside. I'll have my slow cooker work on it all day tomorrow. He'es looking forward to it. It gives him something to do.

Actually using the same "Gravy" from the one earlier this week. Because potroast is always better the second time. Even if you have to put in a new roast.

Also did a great steak tonite and had the jerky dehydrator going all day. Made a ton of Jerky.

Meat is good! Very good.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I started using my gas grill as well to brown my roasts. Olive oil s/p on the outside and a 600* grill gets to work fast.
View attachment 7785322
Fine, first one came out so good I am making another tomorrow.

Potroast was seared on BBQ to get some bark/crust on the outside. I'll have my slow cooker work on it all day tomorrow. He'es looking forward to it. It gives him something to do.

Actually using the same "Gravy" from the one earlier this week. Because potroast is always better the second time. Even if you have to put in a new roast.

Also did a great steak tonite and had the jerky dehydrator going all day. Made a ton of Jerky.

Meat is good! Very good.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I was spoofing on your OP:

So youre roasting Pot now?

Its healthier as edibles.

Well that technic is a winner.

Would be good on a poor boy sandwich I think.

This is a deer shoulder
By far my favorite way to cook shoulder. I process all my own meat, and just cut all my shoulder roasts into bone in roasts that fit in a crock pot or dutch oven. I make traditional roast recipes, shredded meat for sammiches and tacos, whatever. Not only is it delicious, it saves a ton of time when you are cutting up a critter.

@Snuby642

You are the man for sure, but you've got to respect the crockpot.

Add reverse sear in cast iron and the only thing missing is the smoke.

By far my favorite way to cook shoulder. I process all my own meat, and just cut all my shoulder roasts into bone in roasts that fit in a crock pot or dutch oven. I make traditional roast recipes, shredded meat for sammiches and tacos, whatever. Not only is it delicious, it saves a ton of time when you are cutting up a critter.
Buddy who's a mountain man, vowed to never become modernized when we were growing up. He has a landline phone and only recently relented to an answering machine because his woman insisted on it.

They live off crock pot venison. He puts in carrots, onions and liquid smoke. I can't imagine him spending money on an expensive beef roast.

Reactions: Jim Out
My wife burns out a crockpot in about 2 years, especially when we had kids in the house.

I need to get her another big one.
She has a couple of rib recipes that are great. I have made ribs in crab boil (simmer) and then grilled.

But smoked 4 1/2 - 6 hours with oak / mesquite / pecan, glazed or not is my thing.

I get to drink or reload while I'm "busy" running the stick burner.

The trick is if she is watching is to fiddle with the damper or stack while mumbling and waving hands quickly add a small stick of wood after rejecting two or three.

Put on a convincing show and they will leave you alone. And I dont want a pellet burner because she will figure it out, then I'm screwed.

For all you pepper lovers........

If anyone's interested, pm me for my mail address and send an SASE and I'll mail you some native Sonoran pepper seeds that will amaze you.

Carolina Reapers and whatnot aren't really all that.

I'll send you a mix of Chilipenes, both Phoenix and Sonoran varieties (Phoenix are oblong and Sonoran are round) as well as some of our hybrids.

I'll also throw in some Ordano from Northern Mexico Copper Canyon and hybrids of them.

The chilipenes like a 10 gallon plastic pot and the Ordanos seem to like 5 or 7 gallon better.

They will grow indoors if it's cold where you are until it gets warm enough to put them outside.

Chilipenes can get pretty big, most of ours are between 6 to 8 foot tall and 3' to 4' foot wide, they can and should be pruned so you can control the size.

Most of ours are 4-5 years old and don't mind a frost.

The Ordanos are maybe a foot or two tall and wide and go through color changes, some people confuse the Ordano with Chinese 7 color peppers, they range from a cream color to purple to yellow, orange and then red.

Both the chiltepins and the Ordano are great pickled or crushed and are super prolific.

After the first year you'll have more seeds than you know what to do with, share them freely.

The hybrids are really awesome! and random. Probably have habenero, serrano, jalapeno and red hot mixed together cross-pollinated and who knows what.

Matter of fact I'll throw in some redhots too, although they are pretty mild usually.

CIMG0147.JPG

CIMG0154.JPG

CIMG0860.JPG

CIMG0866.JPG

If anyone's interested, pm me for my mail address and send an SASE and I'll mail you some native Sonoran pepper seeds that will amaze you.

Carolina Reapers and whatnot aren't really all that.

I'll send you a mix of Chilipenes, both Phoenix and Sonoran varieties (Phoenix are oblong and Sonoran are round) as well as some of our hybrids.

I'll also throw in some Ordano from Northern Mexico Copper Canyon and hybrids of them.

The chilipenes like a 10 gallon plastic pot and the Ordanos seem to like 5 or 7 gallon better.

They will grow indoors if it's cold where you are until it gets warm enough to put them outside.

Chilipenes can get pretty big, most of ours are between 6 to 8 foot tall and 3' to 4' foot wide, they can and should be pruned so you can control the size.

Most of ours are 4-5 years old and don't mind a frost.

The Ordanos are maybe a foot or two tall and wide and go through color changes, some people confuse the Ordano with Chinese 7 color peppers, they range from a cream color to purple to yellow, orange and then red.

Both the chiltepins and the Ordano are great pickled or crushed and are super prolific.

After the first year you'll have more seeds than you know what to do with, share them freely.

The hybrids are really awesome! and random. Probably have habenero, serrano, jalapeno and red hot mixed together cross-pollinated and who knows what.

Matter of fact I'll throw in some redhots too, although they are pretty mild usually.

View attachment 7785557
View attachment 7785559
View attachment 7785560

View attachment 7785561
Peppers and tomatillos are the only real thing i do well with in phoenix. My jalapeños really took off this year, not size wise but lots of them and pretty hot. Few other varieties and plenty of cross pollination. I am curious about the native sonoran peppers are. Thats those little things?

Reactions: Jim Out
Well ended up making chili and jalapeño corn bread tonight.

Was alright, got the last two packs of meat at the store, the empty shelves are starting to show some here with beef and prepackaged bs. There’s ways a bunch of chicken and other meat though.

Peppers and tomatillos are the only real thing i do well with in phoenix. My jalapeños really took off this year, not size wise but lots of them and pretty hot. Few other varieties and plenty of cross pollination. I am curious about the native sonoran peppers are. Thats those little things?
Chiltepins are super easy to grow, just throw them in some good soil that drains and water them in with miracle grow.

We have the birds eating them and they turn up everywhere in the yard and the unplanted pots or mixed in with other stuff we're growing.

This is where we got our first seeds:

BOTANICAL NAME:

Capsicum annuum glabriusculum

COLLECTION SITE:

Rio Yaqui, Onavas, Sonora, Mexico

COLLECTION DATE:

HISTORICAL ORIGINS:

Chiltepines are the wild progenitors of domesticated chiles in the Capsicum annuum species including jalapeños and bell peppers. They grow wild from southern Arizona and Texas through Mexico and Central America. Wild chiles have been intensively utilized by people for 10,000 years. Chile domestication started to occur around 7,000 years ago in central-east Mexico. The wild chiltepines are still widely consumed and are an important economic crop in Sonora.

CULINARY USES:

Chiltepines are popular in Southwestern and Northern Mexican cuisine. They are used to add heat to salsa and soups, and can be crushed straight over a meal or rubbed into food as part of a marinade. When the chiltepines are still unripe and green they are often pickled in vinigar. Chiltepines have even found their way into cocktails and desserts. They rank very high on the Scoville scale (50,000 to 100,000 Scoville units) or an 8 on a scale of 10. But their heat is very fleeting and does not last for a long period of time like other spicy chiles.

NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS:

Chiltepines, like all chiles, are high in vitamins A and C.

MEDICINAL USES:

The Tarahumara use chiltepines as a preventative for future maladies, especially those thought to occur from witchcraft. Yaqui and Opata healing rituals feature chiltepines.

SOCIO-CULTURAL IMPORTANCE:

The annual harvest of wild Sonoran chiltepines has traditionally been a dependable autumnal ritual, however these fruits also tell the story of a changing climate and increasingly unpredictable world. The inhabitants of Northern Mexico have harvested wild chiltepines in September and October for generations. Professional chiltepin harvesters, known as Chiltepineros, can harvest up to thirty tons in a season, and treat this as purely an economic activity.

In 2011, chiltepines were fetching $65 per kilogram, and as such are an important contribution to the economy. Equally, the annual harvest provides an opportunity for Sonoran families to gather together. Several generations may move to a chiltepin harvesting camp for a number of weeks to gather their year’s supply of the chiles while enjoying family time.

The chiltepins range from BB sized to pea sized and round or elongated about 1/4" diameter and about 3/8" to 1/2" long.

The biggest fattest chiltepins are hybrids and are 3/8" to 1/2" roundish.

The Ordanos are cone shaped and about 3/8" to 1/2" long.

CIMG0141.JPG

It was really an awesome year here too, what kind of jalapenos are you growing?

I had a stack of 10gal pots and we had flowering tomatillos that demanded to grow out of the spaces between the pots flowering right up until the 11-7 frost, the peppers were doing the same thing.

CIMG1364.JPG

CIMG1368.JPG

Everything is still flowering like crazy, had to hit them with 0-10-10 to try to push the fruit.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jgunner

The chiltepins range from BB sized to pea sized and round or elongated about 1/4" diameter and about 3/8" to 1/2" long.

View attachment 7785572

I had a stack of 10gal pots and we had flowering tomatillos that demanded to grow out of the spaces between the pots flowering right up until the 11-7 frost, the peppers were doing the same thing.

Everything is still flowering like crazy, had to hit them with 0-10-10 to try to push the fruit.
How hot are those? I ate something similar looking at the Mexican kids house growing up and I lit me up. It was the size of a holly berry probably.

For fresh I like jalapeno, serrano and poblano. All fairly mild but you can load up with them.

I will eat others but getting old and the heat has started getting to me.

For fresh I like jalapeno, serrano and poblano. All fairly mild but you can load up with them.

I’m weird I’m not big on fresh peppers, it’s a texture thing.

I use whole pickled jalapeños to make poppers, it’s good though and end up hotter than fresh one sometimes.

How hot are those? I ate something similar looking at the Mexican kids house growing up and I lit me up. It was the size of a holly berry probably.
Yep, that's them. ^^^

They are wicked hot, but because they're small you can kind of moderate the burn as you eat them.

I'm always screaming "I need cheese...now!!!!" while grazing and drinking in the garden.....I think my wife is trying to kill me.

I just added this part to the other post:

Chiltepines have even found their way into cocktails and desserts. They rank very high on the Scoville scale (50,000 to 100,000 Scoville units) or an 8 on a scale of 10. But their heat is very fleeting and does not last for a long period of time like other spicy chiles.

These make a really good relish with some onion, that lets the heat balance out through the mixture to personal taste.

Great for seasoning fresh or dry in a rub.

Hell I forgot one of my favorite chilies of all time.

Hatch chillies mild or hot.

I like a strong chili flavor that is not necessarily scorching hot if that makes sense.

Hell I forgot one of my favorite chilies of all time.

Hatch chillies mild or hot.

I like a strong chili flavor that is not necessarily scorching hot if that makes sense.
I like to be in a little pain lol

I’ve eaten hot sauce that felt like it was eating a hole in my stomach and only made it to the living room before I had to lay on the floor in the fetal position a while. I got up and ate more later and it didn’t hurt like that the second time it was weird.

It was homemade stuff from a guy selling warm fresh tamales out of a cooler his trunk(sketchy sounding but they are good and well known here) he drives around selling them at bars, they’ve been at it for years.

Last edited:
A buddie's wife is a head chef from a 5 star restaurant. Even though she's retired, she still has to fix some incredible dishes and appetizers, making all her marinades and sauces from scratch.

She made some habanero sauce for a dish and he was sampling it while he was talking on the phone with me. He mentioned it was hot and then gagged and coughed and some went up in his nose.

It got serious quick, there was some yelling and confusion and he hung up.

Chiltepins are super easy to grow, just throw them in some good soil that drains and water them in with miracle grow.

We have the birds eating them and they turn up everywhere in the yard and the unplanted pots or mixed in with other stuff we're growing.

BOTANICAL NAME:

Capsicum annuum glabriusculum

COLLECTION SITE:

Rio Yaqui, Onavas, Sonora, Mexico

COLLECTION DATE:

HISTORICAL ORIGINS:

Chiltepines are the wild progenitors of domesticated chiles in the Capsicum annuum species including jalapeños and bell peppers. They grow wild from southern Arizona and Texas through Mexico and Central America. Wild chiles have been intensively utilized by people for 10,000 years. Chile domestication started to occur around 7,000 years ago in central-east Mexico. The wild chiltepines are still widely consumed and are an important economic crop in Sonora.

CULINARY USES:

Chiltepines are popular in Southwestern and Northern Mexican cuisine. They are used to add heat to salsa and soups, and can be crushed straight over a meal or rubbed into food as part of a marinade. When the chiltepines are still unripe and green they are often pickled in vinigar. Chiltepines have even found their way into cocktails and desserts. They rank very high on the Scoville scale (50,000 to 100,000 Scoville units) or an 8 on a scale of 10. But their heat is very fleeting and does not last for a long period of time like other spicy chiles.

NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS:

Chiltepines, like all chiles, are high in vitamins A and C.

MEDICINAL USES:

The Tarahumara use chiltepines as a preventative for future maladies, especially those thought to occur from witchcraft. Yaqui and Opata healing rituals feature chiltepines.

SOCIO-CULTURAL IMPORTANCE:

The annual harvest of wild Sonoran chiltepines has traditionally been a dependable autumnal ritual, however these fruits also tell the story of a changing climate and increasingly unpredictable world. The inhabitants of Northern Mexico have harvested wild chiltepines in September and October for generations. Professional chiltepin harvesters, known as Chiltepineros, can harvest up to thirty tons in a season, and treat this as purely an economic activity.

In 2011, chiltepines were fetching $65 per kilogram, and as such are an important contribution to the economy. Equally, the annual harvest provides an opportunity for Sonoran families to gather together. Several generations may move to a chiltepin harvesting camp for a number of weeks to gather their year’s supply of the chiles while enjoying family time.

View attachment 7785572

View attachment 7785617
View attachment 7785618

Not sure which jalapeños i have, my buddy gave them to me. I still have a lot of fruit on the bushes, but made several batches of hot salsa that was excellent although only i could eat it because it was so hot.